Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2012 Orioles thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

#51 dhellers

• 532 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

I'm really enjoying this...Whereas being a Red Sox fan I tend to get too caught up "emotionally" with my Sox when they are in the hunt. Consequently, my anxiety level dictates which minmizes my enjoyment...Am I alone on this?

I've been living in MD (surbubs of DC) for over 20 years, so I have seen the sox play at Memorial Stadium/Camden Yards about 10x times more than seeing them play in Fenway. The last few years I have overcome my earlier dislike (the mediocre O's tended to play the sox tough in the late 90's/early 00's), and even felt a bit bad that 3/4 of the attendees were Sox fans. Well, not too bad -- but I don't blame O's fans much for glorying in beating Boston. That includes the last game last year -- I was there, right behind 3rd base, and got to listen to the a**hole kids who took the front row seats when the game recommenced after the rain delay.

Now, with the Xos officialy below .500, I find myself being a sports bigamist; I am more or less on the O's band wagon. To the extent of staying up until 4AM to watch the 18 inning game. Adding in the delightful schadenfreude of the MFY's not making the playoffs... I think I will be rooting for the O's vs Boston this weekend. May the gods forgive me.

Funny thing, I work 10 blocks from that Nationals stadium... but I just can't get into them. Maybe if the Nats fans return to their roots and call them the Senators (like they did '05 to '65).

BTW: The only reason I can think of for dumping Scutaro, who was one of the few guys actually playing with some attention last September, is that he turned his head to look to center whilst heading to third- and then got thrown out at the plate. I read later that he heard a big "yaaay" when the ball got into the gap, and figured a great play had been made. He forgot he was playing in Fenway South.

I just looked it up: it was Crawford who hit the double. Imagine that! If Scutaro doesn't turn his head and scores, then Crawford's inabillity to make catch Andino's sinking line drive never occurs, and Adrian G still plays for the Red Sox.

#52 wade boggs chicken dinner

• SoSH Member

• 6,939 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

Why is Showlater considered such a jerk? Please enlighten me...

If you google "Buck Showalter" "control freak" you will get an idea of why he was fired.

Here is one such idea: http://www.baltimore...buck-stops-here

#53 75cent bleacher seat

• 486 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

The article from the link you provided speaks well of Showalter. Was/is he a control freak , abrasive, tactless, etc.? I'm certain there's an element of truth to this. Should he continue to wear this jacket? I guess it depends on one's point of view....He 's getting the results he was hired for....

#54 75cent bleacher seat

• 486 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:04 AM

9/22

No comment...

#55 75cent bleacher seat

• 486 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:25 AM

9/25

The O's run to win the A.L. east took a hit yesterday as they split a double header with the Jays and the Yanks won putting them 1.5 games back. They play the Jays tonight and again tomorrow then it's 3 with our Sox in Baltimore.

The LAA are 2 back in the wild card....hmmm

#56 75cent bleacher seat

• 486 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

9/27
The O's final 3 games are against the Rays inTampa...this coud get very interesting....

#57 bob burda

• 612 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

Yanks do the O's a huge favor by losing the first set to TOR tonight, 6-love.

O's are one back, one in the L column. Both O's and Yanks only play AL East opponents the rest of the way, I think the the O's have the "intra-division" tie breaker in their favor if they tie.

#58 75cent bleacher seat

• 486 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

9/28....

Next up 3 games with our beloved Red Sox....I wrestle with this...my wish is the Sox players do well individually yet despite this the O's win...

#59 loshjott

• 3,829 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

Yanks do the O's a huge favor by losing the first set to TOR tonight, 6-love.

O's are one back, one in the L column. Both O's and Yanks only play AL East opponents the rest of the way, I think the the O's have the "intra-division" tie breaker in their favor if they tie.

No such tie breaker this year. If two teams tie for division title and even if the other has clinched a WC, there is a one game playoff to decide the division winner. This is because the division title is so much more valuable than a WC this year due to the one game WC playoff.

#60 bob burda

• 612 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

TEX beats LAA, so the O's are in the play-offs.

It might be another 15 yrs before they sniff 90 wins again, but congrats to them. Now let them go down and beat the tar out of Tampa to claim what is rightfully theirs if they can get some help from Lester or Buchholz.

Edit: and thanks, loshjott - learned this in another thread - had no idea.

Edited by bob burda, 01 October 2012 - 12:04 AM.

#61 dhellers

• 532 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:30 AM

Here's hoping the Sox get their mojo up and take 2 or more from MFY.

#62 75cent bleacher seat

• 486 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:08 AM

The Orioles are in the playoffs....good baseball story and despite the luck that has come their way I believe they will be around next year at this time...

#63 Wingack

• Yankee Mod

• 10,930 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:31 AM

Glad for the Birds and their fans. It has been a tough slog for that team and that city.

#64 75cent bleacher seat

• 486 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:21 AM

10/5

Saunders vs. Darvish in Texas tonight....it doesn't get much better than this...

#65 75cent bleacher seat

• 486 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

The O's luck continues with a 5-1 win over Texas...onto the Yankees...

I'd gladly put up with Showalter for this type of results...

#66 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3,389 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:25 AM

These guys are pretty fun to watch. Damn, two legit playoff teams in DC/Balt. Nuts.

#67 dhellers

• 532 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

The O's luck continues with a 5-1 win over Texas...onto the Yankees...

I'd gladly put up with Showalter for this type of results...

I really didn't follow showalter much before, so can't say about his past. But he comes off as being quite tolerable these days.

I am cautiously optimisitic that the O's aren't afraid of the big bad MFYs, and that their pitching has enough fortitude to retain focus
I.e.; play like the 2011 Tigers, not the 2010 Phillies.

That means they can take 'em out!

#68 75cent bleacher seat

• 486 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

Next 3 games starting tomorrow at the toilet where the O's are 6-3 this year....gonna be tuff but doable...

#69 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3,389 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

The saddest part of watching this series, from an Orioles perspective, is seeing Markakis and Roberts injured and on the bench. Are there two guys who have paid more dues with a losing team/franchise than these two? A healthy Markakis at the toilet would be a lovely addition to the offense as well. Alas, Chris Davis will have to suffice (Lord knows he can crush a ball to left field). Let's Go Os!

#70 75cent bleacher seat

• 486 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

Great season for the Orioles and their fans...I beleive they will be in the hunt next year as well despite the projected regression...

I really enjoyed watching and rooting for them.