Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

2012 Orioles thread

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

8/29
The Orioles are 71-57, currently tied with Oakland for a wildcard spot. They have won 4 straight and 7 of their last 10. Newly acquired (from D-Backs) Joe Saunders starts for them tonight against the White Sox. Saunders is 6-10 with a 4.22 era.

With 34 games remaining the O's are 3.5 games out of 1st place, 7 of their next 11 games are against the Yanks.They start a 3 game series at the toilet on Friday then resume a 4 game series with them at home on Thursday Sept.6.

I fully realize I am late to the show on starting this thread but have an admiration for what this team has achieved this season. Gotta give some credit to Showalter. This team was slated to finish last in the division.

#2 Sausage in Section 17

• Poker Champ

• 667 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Gotta give some credit to Showalter. This team was slated to finish last in the division.

As much as it irks me to, I have to give him credit also.

Our recent series with them (before the trade) was when I (finally) started to move past simply blaming our players and injuries for the RS bad performance. It just seemed so clear that the O's had that edge that teams have when they are on the same page and have a mission resonating through the clubhouse. You could tell the O's were confident, that they were determined and just wanted it more than the Sox. Showalter has them united and ready to go to war every night.

Even after the trade, I don't think I'd trade our talent for theirs. I only hope we can return the elimination donkey punch they gave us last year, and that their resurgence in confidence is short-lived.

#3 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

As much as it irks me to, I have to give him credit also.

Our recent series with them (before the trade) was when I (finally) started to move past simply blaming our players and injuries for the RS bad performance. It just seemed so clear that the O's had that edge that teams have when they are on the same page and have a mission resonating through the clubhouse. You could tell the O's were confident, that they were determined and just wanted it more than the Sox. Showalter has them united and ready to go to war every night.

Even after the trade, I don't think I'd trade our talent for theirs. I only hope we can return the elimination donkey punch they gave us last year, and that their resurgence in confidence is short-lived.

Even if their confidence allows them to destroy the Yankees?

edit- I forgot last years elimination scenario...

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 29 August 2012 - 05:20 PM.

#4 terrynever

• 4869 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

Welcome back to the AL, Joe Saunders. Gave up four runs tonight in top of first.

#5 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:52 AM

O's fell to the White Sox 8-1...Saunders gave up 10 hits, 2 walks, and 6 runs in 5.1 innings. They play the White Sox in a day game today with Britton 3-1, 5.59 era vs.Quintana 5-2, 2.86 era. Although they currently own a playoff spot Tampa is still alive only a half game behind in the wildcard standings and with a 3 game series against the Yankees this weekend the Orioles will get a chance to prove thier mettle.

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 30 August 2012 - 09:51 AM.

#6 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

8/30

The O's put some whoop ass on the White Sox this afternoon winning 5-3....

From the O's MLB website...."BALTIMORE -- Taylor Teagarden and Adam Jones homered and starter Zach Britton rebounded from a slow start to strike out a career-high 10 as the Orioles topped the White Sox, 5-3, at Camden Yards on Thursday afternoon.
The victory moved the Orioles (72-58) within three games of the first-place Yankees in the American League East, with the two teams meeting for three games in New York, starting Friday night."

Is there anyone who imagined the Orioles would do so well this season? Can I say I didn't but I'm not completely surprised either.

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 30 August 2012 - 03:33 PM.

#7 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:15 AM

8/31

Game one of a 3 game series @ the Toilet begins tonight with the Orioles Miguel Gonzalez 5-3, 3.66 ERA going up against the Yanks Hiroki Kuroda 12-9, 2.98 ERA.

The O's are 3 games out of 1st place behind the Yanks...Doubtful but how sweet it would be if the O's win all 3...ehhh?

#8 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

Kuroda says..(下品な俗語)性交する

#9 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:04 AM

Saturday 9/1

Game 2 of a 3 games series @1:05 today

The O's 6-1 win last night puts them 2 games behind the Yanks....Wei-Yin Chen 12-7-3.78 ERA goes up againt David Phelps 3-4 ERA 2.96...Showalter has the O's thinking division title and it is doable....A.L. manager of the year?

My heart won't ache if the Yanks fail to make the playoffs :buddy:

Noteworthy: The O's added Randy Wolf to thier bullpen on Friday. Wolf a left hander was released by the Brewers last week. He is was a starter with a 3-10 with a 5.69 ERA in 25 games.

Did you know the O's haven't been under .500 this season?...No?.... neither did I.

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 01 September 2012 - 06:29 AM.

#10 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

9/1

Trying to contain myself as they lead 3-0 in the 4th....go O'S....

#11 RShack

• 54 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

O's fan here...

After the loss today, we've got some a-hole supposed-fans in BAL who are saying Chen's out of shape and Strop is just a mop-up guy...

That absurdity reminded me to come here and give you guys some credit: When the Red Sox are playing crappy, you guys melt down.... but you do it in a hilarious way... (I am not giving you crap here, I really, really think that takes special talent... honest.)

Personally, I'm a semi-old fart who remembers Yaz and Tony C... and remembers that you guys always used to lose the WS in 7-games... I told people that you didn't have a WS problem, you just had a Game 7 problem... while some BAL fans have come to hate the Red Sox, for me personally, I don't hate the Sox like I hate the MFY's... although Pappelbon and Beckett made it iffy sometimes... back before them, if the Orioles couldn't beat the MFY's, I was happy to see BOS do it instead... I figured we did it for a long time, and lately (but not real lately) it's been your turn... except for a couple BOS players I didn't like, that was fine with me...

Lots of O's fans have also come to really, really hate BOS fans too... in some cases more than they hate MFY fans... but I think it's only the new ESPN-version of BOS alleged-fans who are hate-worthy... when I go to O's games and there's BOS fans there wearing green hats or drinking way too much, I ask them what position Yaz played... I ask them what number Tony C wore... they don't have a friggin' clue... for real BOS fans, I can sit there and have a good baseball conversation with them...

Anyway, I might stop by the game thread sometime when we're playing each other, just for grins... I will expect to get scythe-murdered, but I won't be crass about what I say...

ps: Sorry about Bobby V... nobody deserves that (except the MFY's)

Edited by RShack, 01 September 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#12 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:27 AM

Brittany Ghiroil said

NEW YORK -- A series win within their grasp, the Orioles let Saturday's game slip away.
Setup man Pedro Strop struggled to find the strike zone, issuing a pair of crippling seventh-inning walks, while a much-improved O's defense saw a critical error from shortstop J.J. Hardy, who has anchored the infield with his glove all season. The result was a three-run seventh inning for the Yankees, a frustrating display that paved the way for the O's 4-3 loss in front of 46,122 at Yankee Stadium.

http://baltimore.ori...=recap&c_id=bal

Today's game has Tillman 7-2, ERA 3.26 vs. Hughes 13-11, ERA 4.02 @1:05

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 02 September 2012 - 06:55 AM.

#13 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

Yanks go down 8-3 in the final game of the series...sweet!

If anyone has a picture of Showalter with a smile please post it here.

#14 PandaSox

• 657 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

Kuroda says..(下品な俗語)性交する

75cent - great to meet you and great to see you're keeping the thread going!

Was at this game - Reynolds absolutely DESTROYED those home runs. I actually made it on TV, as I was sitting in left field in the third or fourth row. Great view. I hate the MFY but their stadium is quite nice.

What a win for the O's - let's hope they keep winning! What say you SoSH - are you OK losing on purpose to deny the MFY the division crown?

Also, a nice little win this afternoon. Love it.

#15 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

nm

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 03 September 2012 - 06:53 PM.

#16 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

What a win for the O's - let's hope they keep winning! What say you SoSH - are you OK losing on purpose to deny the MFY the division crown?

Hey Panda,

Thanks for joining in....as for losing on purpose, I beleive we can achieve that without doing so intentionally yet achieve the same results.

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 03 September 2012 - 01:06 PM.

#17 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

By Chris Toman / MLB.com | 9/5/2012 12:06 AM ET[/size]

TORONTO -- After shutting out the Blue Jays for the second consecutive night -- and getting a little help from the Rays -- the Orioles have clawed all the way back into a September tie for first place in the American League East for the first time since 1997.
While the Orioles (76-59) were busy pounding out a season-high 18 hits in a 12-0 romp over the Blue Jays, the Rays dropped the Yankees, 5-2. The Orioles will host the Yankees for a pivotal four-game set at Camden Yards, starting Thursday

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 05 September 2012 - 07:49 AM.

#18 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:51 AM

Oriole fans, where are you? rejoice along with us Sox fans....I admire what this team has achieved....Why aren't my Red Sox more like them?

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 05 September 2012 - 07:12 PM.

#19 biollante

• SoSH Member

• 7735 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

Showalter is getting every ounce out of his players ~ Hope the Orioles and Rays make the playoffs and Jeter and A-Rod get into a fight over Human Growth Hormones.

#20 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

4:12 PM, September 4, 2012ι By ANTHONY SULLA-HEFFINGER
You can dissect the rosters as much as you want, talk about payrolls and injuries, but the real advantage the Orioles have over the Yankees is on the bench.
Buck Showalter is the odds-on favorite to win the AL Manager of the Year Award and after having Baltimore in contention all season long he deserves credit as the best baseball mind in the AL East as well.
Showalter’s brilliance should be no mystery to the Yankees, as he led them to the playoffs in 1995, his last season as manager, and helped lay the foundation for the dynasty that won four of the next five World Series titles under Joe Torre.
In similar fashion, Showalter built the Diamondbacks into a team that won the NL West in its second year and was fired before Arizona won the World Series in 2001.
Showalter has outmanaged all of his peers this season, including the quartet of Joe Girardi (Yankees), Joe Maddon (Rays), Bobby Valentine (Red Sox) and John Farrell (Blue Jays), and it shouldn’t come as any surprise considering his track record.
The players have played their way to this point, but it has all happened under Showalter’s guidance

http://www.nypost.co...S496qvBk8UqkaMN

Showalter was A.L. manager of the year in 1994 with the Yankees and again in 2004 with the Rangers.

Question...Why was Showalter fired as manager of the Yankees?

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 05 September 2012 - 08:13 AM.

#21 MrDaniel

• 160 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:39 AM

So is their winning record despite a negative run differential purely luck? or is there something about this team that makes them lose big and win close games?

#22 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16316 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

So is their winning record despite a negative run differential purely luck? or is there something about this team that makes them lose big and win close games?

Well, earlier in the year it was kind of lucky. But in the last couple weeks to a month they've pretty solidly outscored their opposition. The number I saw were something like 140 runs scored and 110 runs allowed over the last month. That's a 180 run surplus over a full season and that's a deserving mid 90's win team.

Also, earlier this year they were using a few starting pitchers who really sucked and got cannonaded for huge Oriole losses while they've got an excellent bullpen that helps them win close games. Substitute in some okay starters for the guys who sucked and you're looking good.

Like a previous poster, I find the idea of the O's and Rays beating out the mfy's and perhaps the A's snagging the other wildcard spot quite intriguing.

Edited by Rough Carrigan, 05 September 2012 - 12:05 PM.

#23 terrynever

• 4869 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

http://www.nypost.co...S496qvBk8UqkaMN

Showalter was A.L. manager of the year in 1994 with the Yankees and again in 2004 with the Rangers.

Question...Why was Showalter fired as manager of the Yankees?

Yankees had best record in MLB in 1994, then played .500 ball most of 1995 before rallying to earn the first wild card berth ever. Lost in first round to Seattle. Steinbrenner was upset and fired Buck. Hired Torre two months later, then had doubts and made a secret inquiry to Buck about coming back but by then Buck was talking to the new Arizona franchise about the manager job and more .

#24 LogansDad

• 4859 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

Honestly, I don't really have much against the Orioles for last year. They won an emotional game to finish a season that they once again struggled in, in epic fashion, while knocking a division rival out of the playoffs. Plus, I don't hold it against the players that they get frustrated about there being more Boston fans in Baltimore than O's fans, that's on the community. To go along with that, Luke Scott doesn't play for them anymore, so they are a little less hateable.

I think they are a good story, and I would love to see both them and the Rays surpass the Yankees over the next 4 weeks. They have a lot of good young talent and Showalter has done a good job of getting them to gel, even if he is a colossal douche.

#25 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 23267 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

Peter Gammons@pgammo
Orioles players and everyone around them have not forgotten being called "lucky" last week by Bobby Valentine on NY radio

#26 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:16 AM

9/6

O's lost last night to the Jays 6-4. Consequently life in 1st place was short-lived...Tonight the opportunity to reclaim a spot at the top is at hand as they begin a 4 game series against the Yanks.. @7:05p. Phelps vs. Hammel.

Beyond the series with the Yanks the O's have 3 games with the Rays starting on Tuesday then 3 with the A's...

note: the O's will also play the Sox 6 more times with the last 3 games of the regular season at Fenway. Spoiler time perhaps?

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 06 September 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#27 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

Why is Showlater considered such a jerk? Please enlighten me...

edit- not saying he isn't, just curious.

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 06 September 2012 - 12:51 PM.

#28 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

Yankees visit O's, setting stage for tug of war

By Steven Miller / MLB.com | 9/5/2012
While the Orioles spent the past week climbing the American League East standings, earning a share of first place for all of one day, the Yankees spent it insisting they had no concern as their lead shrank.
But Baltimore's temporary jump to the top of the division did enough to prompt a team meeting for New York prior to Wednesday's 6-4 win over the Rays, which prevented a sweep and allowed the Yankees to reclaim sole possession of first place in the division. Manager Joe Girardi said the club discussed the final stretch of the season, with the next four games coming against the second-place Orioles at Camden Yards.
While a 10-game lead and comfort the Yankees once had atop the division is gone, they welcome the challenge.
"This is what you think about as little kids," Girardi said. "You imagine in your head about playing in important games in the backyard, and you think about it coming up through the Minor Leagues, that you want to be in this situation. It's exciting."

http://baltimore.ori...review&c_id=bal

Let's see how "exciting" the O's can make it for us Sox fans...if they can contribute to the Yankees failure to make the playoffs it will in some significant way salvage this excruciatingly painful season for me.

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 06 September 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#29 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

9/7

O's are back in 1st after last nights 10-6 win over the Yanks and they it in dramatic fashion with 6 home runs....

From AP

"You couldn't ask for better," manager Buck Showalter said. "A special environment. Really appreciative. It helped. It was a real difference-maker for us."

The Yankees always attract huge crowds, but this time an estimated 90 percent of those in attendance were cheering for the home team. The full house and the boisterous orange-clad fans conjured memories of a time long ago, when Baltimore made two straight playoff appearances in 1996-97 prior to a run of 14 consecutive losing seasons.

"It looked like a big tangerine," Jones said. "I liked that."

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=320906101

It's great to see the Oriole fans show support for their team...they desreve it...

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 07 September 2012 - 08:32 AM.

#30 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:50 AM

9/9

Orioles are tied for 1st again after last nights win over the Yanks 5-4 but have lost Markakis for the rest of the season(?) courtesy of a Sabathia pitch which broke his thumb in the 5th. Two big questions, who replaces Markakis ? <-not sure here...and, who will be the beneficiary of today's retaliation? I say A-rod.

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 09 September 2012 - 07:54 AM.

#31 StuckOnYouk

• 1779 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

There's no way Ross cleared waivers did he? How desperate would Dan D. be to make the playoffs to give up a decent prospect for 3 weeks of Ross?

#32 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

There's no way Ross cleared waivers did he? How desperate would Dan D. be to make the playoffs to give up a decent prospect for 3 weeks of Ross?

Link?

#33 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:17 AM

9/10

The O's are off today but begin a 3 game series against the Rays tomorrow followed with a 3 game series with the A's.

Tampa is only a game out in the wild card standings...and remember the Angel's? They are also a game out in the wild card race...They begin a 4 game series againt the A's starting tonight....

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 10 September 2012 - 07:27 AM.

#34 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 21585 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

Link?

Link?

Link to what?

The poster is asking a question here. Do you have an answer?

#35 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

Link?

Link to what?

The poster is asking a question here. Do you have an answer?

Link to what?... Where he got the information Ross has been picked up by the O's for a decent prospect.

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 10 September 2012 - 10:11 AM.

#36 TheShynessClinic

• SoSH's Doug Neidermeyer

• 5569 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

Ross hasn't been picked up. StuckonYouk was asking if it was possible Ross got through waivers, and if it was possible Duquette would be desperate enough to pick him up.

This isn't exactly rocket science.

#37 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

I read the question as though Ross had cleared waivers and Dan D. picked him up...

My apology...

Back to the question....I'm not sure the O's have a big need for Ross right now..wait...we have the Markasis factor to consider...not sure.

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 10 September 2012 - 10:20 AM.

#38 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 21585 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

They need him
They want him
If he got through waivers and a deal can be done it will be done.

#39 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

The top 4 A.L. teams vying for a wild card spot play one another tonight...

The O's vs. Rays and the A's vs. the Angels... the Angels are furthest behind at 1.5 games...

edit- I'm really enjoying this...Whereas being a Red Sox fan I tend to get too caught up "emotionally" with my Sox when they are in the hunt. Consequently, my anxiety level dictates which minmizes my enjoyment...Am I alone on this?

#40 terrynever

• 4869 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

The top 4 A.L. teams vying for a wild card spot play one another tonight...

The O's vs. Rays and the A's vs. the Angels... the Angels are furthest behind at 1.5 games...

edit- I'm really enjoying this...Whereas being a Red Sox fan I tend to get too caught up "emotionally" with my Sox when they are in the hunt. Consequently, my anxiety level dictates which minmizes my enjoyment...Am I alone on this?

No you're not. It's always better if you can take passion out and focus on being neutral, if that's possible. This is how sports writers watch games. They may have grown up rooting for the Red Sox but they have to strike a neutral chord in order to write a fair story. Some of them do it better than others.

#41 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:13 AM

9/12
Good news...O's beat Rays 9-2 putting them into a tie for first place again with the Yanks.

Bad news(?) Pithcher Jason Hammel left the game early...

Orioles starter Jason Hammel exited Tuesday's game in the fourth inning with a right knee injury, and he will see team orthopedist Dr. John Wilckens on Wednesday and -- at his request -- undergo an MRI on the area, which was operated on this season.More»

http://baltimore.ori...ex.jsp?c_id=bal

The A' also won beating the Angels 6-5.

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 12 September 2012 - 06:20 AM.

#42 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

9/13

Orioles are stuck in 1st place with the Yanks as both teams won last night....The O's play a day game today with Chen going up against Hellickson.

#43 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:34 AM

O's win 3-2 in 14 but Yanks won also = remain tied for 1st....

Next 3 games with the A's starting tonight...Saunders goes for the O's tonight....He has a career record of 13-4 against them...Milone pitches for the A's tonight, he has never faced the Orioles.

#44 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

BALTIMORE -- Orioles pitcher Jason Hammel said the MRI he underwent on his troublesome right knee showed no new damage, but he's not sure when he'll return.
Hammel said the doctor said the problem with his knee -- which had an arthroscopy done on it in mid-July -- was what the doctor called a "hot spot" and probably needs some time to calm down. Rest and strengthening the knee will be what Hammel works on for the next several days.
But Hammel couldn't pinpoint a return date. Still, he was happy that there's no new troubles with the knee.
"I was pumped to hear [this news]," he said after Thursday's game. "I thought something else was going on just by the way it felt and even from the pain I felt [Wednesday] -- and the improvement into today was significant. It's making strides."
Hammel came out of Tuesday's game with the Rays in the fourth inning when he felt pain in that knee. He headed out west with the Orioles and said he wants to return as soon as possible. For now, he's going to continue the treatment and keep pushing.
"I want to get back out there as soon as I can," Hammel said. "But obviously, if I can't use my leg, I can't pitch. If I can get back at any point this season, I'm going to."
http://baltimore.ori...ok_bal&c_id=bal

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 14 September 2012 - 02:27 PM.

#45 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:34 AM

OAKLAND -- It hasn't been an overnight transition, but this year's Orioles club -- perhaps more than any other -- walks, talks and acts like manager Buck Showalter, who, despite the fiercely intent look on his face during games, isn't all no-nonsense.
"I've allowed myself [to have fun]," said Showalter, whose team has defied all odds this season and entered Saturday in a first-place tie with the Yankees in the American League East. "This is a great group to be around. They don't let anybody take them too seriously, trust me. I feel real good that they feel real comfortable making sure all of us don't take each other too seriously. Everybody around here is open game, and that's the way it should be."
There's been a fair amount of good-natured pranking this season, from Showalter punking reliever Darren O'Day with the reliever's Solowheel, to the ever-popular rookie dress-up, which took place Friday night on the team's cross-country flight to San Francisco. Showalter may have seemed to come with a warning label -- whispers of his being a micromanager who wears out his welcome -- prior to his hire in August 2010, but the ever-detailed skipper has been a perfect fit for an organization in desperate need of order.
"I don't think people in this clubhouse make excuses," shortstop J.J. Hardy said of Baltimore's character. "If something happens, they own up. I think the thing with Buck is he manages the team well. [He's] very personable with everybody, easy to talk to. He keeps it loose. We have a ping-pong table in the clubhouse. And I think the fact that he's so prepared for every game, everyone trusts that we are not going to get out-managed."
As much as Showalter deflects praise -- he glibly referred to himself as a 'passing ship in the night' when collecting his 1,000th career managerial win earlier this season -- there's no denying his impact since arriving in Baltimore. Showalter's clubs have historically made significant strides in his second full season at the helm, with all three of his previous stops enjoying a minimum 12-game improvement. This year's Orioles squad, which has reached the 81-win mark for the first time since 1997, is no different.
But maybe Showalter is.
"You always learn from things -- some of it positive some negatively," Showalter said Friday when asked if he had changed his managerial style from previous stops, where he was dismissed in Arizona and New York in the seasons prior to those clubs winning the World Series. "But if it were that easy, everybody would be doing it. Every situation calls for a different approach, and I pride myself on being flexible with the needs of each club and each organization. You adjust to them; you don't ask them to adjust to you."
What Showalter hasn't wavered on has been his quest to restore a beleaguered Baltimore organization back to its years of baseball glory. He challenged his club this spring to raise the bar, adding a level of accountability and focus that has this year's Orioles team already ensuring that 2012 will be the first non-losing season in 15 years. It started this spring, during a camp in which every detail was done for a reason, whether it was the team-wide test -- which included naming the words written above the clubhouse walls -- or the perfectly placed lockers that often put rookies by specific veterans to help foster their development.
There has been an influx of new talent -- particularly on the 40-man roster -- under new executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette and a slow accumulation of depth to help supplement a player development and Minor League system that had failed to provide a solid pipeline to the bigs. The Orioles secured a lease to move spring operations to Sarasota, Fla., under former president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail, and the multi-million dollar renovations were finally completed this spring, helping eliminate certain excuses and streamlining the organization's efforts. It wasn't uncommon to find Showalter driving around on a golf cart late into the Florida night, inspecting the fields and ground conditions to ensure everything was held to the highest possible standard. Those who play for Showalter better be equally up to snuff.
"As players we are always prepared because of him, he prepares us the way we need to [be]," pitcher Chris Tillman said. "He's obviously the Manager of the Year in my eyes. Definitely a biased opinion, but I think he's doing a great job."
"The way he handles the team is amazing," added setup man Pedro Strop. "It's so smart. I've never see a guy like that, [who is] just aware of everything. If he warms up me in the bullpen, he's aware of that. And he takes care of his players pretty good. Nobody is tired, because he knows how to handle it, especially the bullpen. No one is sitting around for 10, 15 days. And I've seen that before. Nobody's tired at this point in the season, and that means a lot."
While in between managerial jobs, Showalter found the most common complaint among pitchers was how they were used. Simply put, guys didn't appreciate warming up multiple times in a game and not getting in on a regular basis. That is a practice that leads to overuse, injuries and a cranky bullpen -- a disastrous mix. It's something Showalter has made a point to avoid at nearly all costs, keeping track of each pitcher's "ups" and appearances, and making frequent roster moves this season to protect the health and integrity of the bullpen after short starts. The O's relievers have rewarded those efforts, helping carry the team through some rough stretches and holding a 64-0 record this season when the Orioles lead after seven innings.
The players are fiercely loyal to Showalter, and he is to them -- a relationship that has helped the team overcome adversity and defy critics. They are a group devoid of any superstars or ace pitchers, a "sum of their parts" type team that Showalter has believing can erase a 15-year playoff drought.
"We got a real good core of people who understand what we are trying to do," he said. "And I trust them."
Brittany Ghiroli is a reporter for MLB.com. Read her blog, Britt's Bird Watch, and follow her on Twitter @britt_ghiroli. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs

http://baltimore.ori...ws_bal&c_id=bal

I've felt from the beginning Showalter would make a significant difference but not to the degree we see. I am factoring in all the "luck" the O's have enjoyed meaning, he doesn't get full credit for their win/loss record.

It has been stated elsewhere the O's will regress and I tend to agree, just how far they regress is the question. Their record of wins in 1 run games along with 64-0 after 7 innings won't stand but I believe they will be in the hunt for October next year.

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 16 September 2012 - 06:49 AM.

#46 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:58 AM

9/16

O's find themselves back in 2nd place after a consecutive loss to the A's yesterday 5-2...They play one more with the A's today then onto Seattle for 3 games.

#47 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:55 AM

9/17

The Orioles avoided beign swept by the A's with a 9-5 win....It's off to Seattle for a 3 games series then 3 with the Sox starting Friday.

#48 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

9/19

The Orioles are back in 1st place(tied that is) after a 4-2 win over the Mariners that took 18 innings to complete....The O's have won 13 straight extra inning games...

They play the Mariners today off tomorrow then onto Fenway for a 3 game series with us....

#49 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

SEATTLE -- On the heels of an 18-inning, 4-2 win over the Seattle Mariners, the Orioles bolstered their pitching by calling up top prospect Dylan Bundy on Wednesday morning.
Bundy ranks No. 2 overall on MLB.com's Top 100 Prospects List and is expected to be available out of the Orioles' bullpen for Wednesday night's series finale in Seattle. The O's used seven pitchers behind starter Wei-Yin Chen on Tuesday night, and Bundy -- who had been pitching in the fall instructional league -- will give manager Buck Showalter another right-handed option.
The 19-year-old Bundy will be the first Baltimore player to make his Major League debut before turning 20 since right-hander Mike Adamson in 1967. In his first pro season, Bundy was 9-3 with a 2.08 ERA as a starter, pitching for three levels and ending the year at Double-A Bowie.
The fourth pick in the 2011 First-Year Player Draft, Bundy is expected to stay with the club through the rest of the regular season. He could be eligible for the postseason roster if needed as a replacement for an Orioles player on the disabled list. Since Bundy was already on the team's 40-man roster, they did not need to make another move.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120919&content_id=38650954&vkey=news_bal&c_id=bal

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 19 September 2012 - 02:21 PM.

#50 75cent bleacher seat

• 346 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:27 AM

9/20

Once again it took extra innings 11 total but the O's win again 3-1...That makes 14 15 straight extra inning wins. The Indians hold the record with 17 straight back in 1949.

O's are off today...

Edited by 75cent bleacher seat, 20 September 2012 - 06:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users