Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2013 Managerial Candidates

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
650 replies to this topic

#1 knucklecup

• hi, I'm a cuckold

• 4174 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:56 PM

This is hardly noteworthy but Schilling brought up Varitek as a possibility. It coincided with the White Sox (who have had great success this year with ex-player Robin Ventura managing) beating the Yankees again but it's a pretty interesting thought to me.

#2 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 6959 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

There's no way he can come back next year....team needs a complete culture change. The last year has been surreal....on our way to 100 ish wins a year ago this week....now staring at a 77-85 ish disaster. Incomprehensible.

#3 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 14437 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

This is hardly noteworthy but Schilling brought up Varitek as a possibility. It coincided with the White Sox (who have had great success this year with ex-player Robin Ventura managing) beating the Yankees again but it's a pretty interesting thought to me.

Robin Ventura last played for the White Sox in 1998 and was never a teammate of any of the current players he is managing. If the Red Sox are in the market for a new manager in 2025, they should absolutely consider Jason Varitek.

#4 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:50 PM

Makes me want to puke. He has a relationship with all these guys. He was part of the good ol boys club. It would be an epic failure.

McAdam throwing out Bill Mueller was interesting. I'd even put Kapler or Daubach well ahead of Varitek. Anyone but him.

#5 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 6959 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

Love the Mueller idea. I think Tek would be better suited as a pitching coach.

#6 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28139 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:52 AM

Makes me want to puke. He has a relationship with all these guys. He was part of the good ol boys club. It would be an epic failure.

McAdam throwing out Bill Mueller was interesting. I'd even put Kapler or Daubach well ahead of Varitek. Anyone but him.

Daubach? A scab manager? I find that unlikely.

#7 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8196 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:22 AM

Was Tek really part of that club? None of us knows exactly what was happening in that clubhouse in 2011, but it must have been hard for Tek to be a leader during the last few years given his diminished skills and playing time. I think Tek's knowledge, preparation and intelligence makes him a good possibility in the very near future, and don't think having played with some of these guys disqualifies him. I'd be very surprised if he didn't have the respect of all of the current Sox, and that alone is a step in the right direction.

Bill Mueller was an admirable player but I think it's very hard to know much about his intelligence, leadership skills or people skills given how quiet he was. I'm not saying that he'd be a bad choice...I just don't know what makes him interesting other than having been a very good, no nonsense player.

#8 rskelley75

• has a hot wife

• 953 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:27 AM

Considering the way Tito was treated on the way out, would Mills/Farrell even have interest in partnering w/ this ownership group? Tito is Millsy's best friend, hardly feel he'd pretend the nastiness never happened. I'd say his loyalty to Tito would prevent him from accepting a managerial role.

#9 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22337 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:57 AM

'Tek was the team captain and we've heard nothing that suggests he was doing anything to stop the "uprising". Lacking that information I have to believe he was part of the problem, or, more likely, kept to himself away from the issue.

Unless I hear he tried hard to stop the chicken and beer-fest, I don't want him managing this team.

#10 TheoShmeo

• 8196 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:40 AM

'Tek was the team captain and we've heard nothing that suggests he was doing anything to stop the "uprising". Lacking that information I have to believe he was part of the problem, or, more likely, kept to himself away from the issue.

Unless I hear he tried hard to stop the chicken and beer-fest, I don't want him managing this team.

Reasonable reaction. If he was in any way part of the negative leadership, I agree that he's verboten. If he tried and failed to dissuade grown men from acting like jerk offs, I'm less convinced that he should be disqualified in light of his status on the field last year.

As to people wanting to manage this team, there will be no shortage. Boston is a plum franchise. Hell, the Hohler story wasn't yet dry during last fall's interviews, and plenty of guys wanted in.

#11 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25460 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:04 AM

Reasonable reaction. If he was in any way part of the negative leadership, I agree that he's verboten. If he tried and failed to dissuade grown men from acting like jerk offs, I'm less convinced that he should be disqualified in light of his status on the field last year.

As to people wanting to manage this team, there will be no shortage. Boston is a plum franchise. Hell, the Hohler story wasn't yet dry during last fall's interviews, and plenty of guys wanted in.

If they keep having losing seasons while spending stupid amounts of money, the bolded will not be true for much longer. We need to stop assuming that we can get anyone we want just because we're the Boston Red Sox. The Royals used to be a quality franchise too.

The ownership and chain of command appear to be a complete clusterfuck, the GM has been neutered in public and has made nothing but bad trades since being promoted and the team sucks. Plum franchise, my pasty white ass.

#12 brs3

• sings praises of pinstripes

• 3552 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

Daubach? A scab manager? I find that unlikely.

Apparently scab managers are okay for low level minors, but not the big leagues?

#13 wutang112878

• SoSH Member

• 5517 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

I think it was last week Gresh and Zo were talking about this possibility and I thought Zo had an excellent point. It would be very difficult for Tek to come in and be manager when he used to play, socialize and drink beers with the majority of the team. Even if Tek was trying to be part of the solution last year, I think this would be a big problem for him. Another small issue is that Tek has never managed at any level whatsoever.

#14 TheoShmeo

• 8196 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:22 AM

If they keep having losing seasons while spending stupid amounts of money, the bolded will not be true for much longer. We need to stop assuming that we can get anyone we want just because we're the Boston Red Sox. The Royals used to be a quality franchise too.

The ownership and chain of command appear to be a complete clusterfuck, the GM has been neutered in public and has made nothing but bad trades since being promoted and the team sucks. Plum franchise, my pasty white ass.

You're blinded by your contempt for the ownership. Boston is still a great city, the park is banged out, the team has money to spend, the fans are passionate and there is still plenty of talent on the big league team and in the minors.

There are plenty of problems but that wont stop qualified guys from interviewing for this job. It wont be for everyone and indeed some people will pass. But if you think the Sox wont be able to attract good candidates, your pasty white ass is on crack.

Edited by TheoShmeo, 23 August 2012 - 08:23 AM.

#15 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25460 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

You're blinded by your contempt for the ownership. Boston is still a great city, the park is banged out, the team has money to spend, the fans are passionate and there is still plenty of talent on the big league team and in the minors.

There are plenty of problems but that wont stop qualified guys from interviewing for this job. It wont be for everyone and indeed some people will pass. But if you think the Sox wont be able to attract good candidates, your pasty white ass is on crack.

Like I said, KC used to be a quality franchise once. Don't think it can't happen here. The park won't be banged out for much longer. The team has no money to spend because they've made such awful contract decisions over the past few years, and they're about to throw up a 75 win season. As for the fans being passionate, a poll just went out noting that the Patriots are by far the current Alpha Dog in the region, as frankly they should be given their level of success.

Right now, no, I don't believe Boston can attract good managerial candidates if the current ownership structure remains unchanged, if the GM isn't allowed to do his job without interference from Lucchino, if Henry remains away from the club, if the divisions widely reported to exist at every level of the organization don't become mended.

The club is a complete mess from top to bottom. No self-respecting managerial hopeful would ever want to come here and deal with this idiocy.

#16 Rudy Pemberton

• 28139 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:29 AM

Apparently scab managers are okay for low level minors, but not the big leagues?

I think it's a pretty big risk to bring in a guy who was a replacement player as a manager, especially to a team that has had issues with authority in the past. I loved Daubach, one of my favorite players of recent years, but unfortunately, I think there would be a segment of players who would not accept Daubach as their manager and his lack of experience as a coach doesn't help either.

I don't know, how much talent do they really have? A lot of money tied up in players who were really lousy this year, which limits their flexibility going forward. Granted, lowered expectations may make it a more attractive job but there's a lot of pressure and if you don't win quickly, you'll be gone.

#17 Buzzkill Pauley

• SoSH Member

• 5252 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

I think it's a pretty big risk to bring in a guy who was a replacement player as a manager, especially to a team that has had issues with authority in the past. I loved Daubach, one of my favorite players of recent years, but unfortunately, I think there would be a segment of players who would not accept Daubach as their manager and his lack of experience as a coach doesn't help either.

What year are you posting from, man?

There's not one player staying on the 40-man roster in 2013 who was playing professional baseball in 1994-95. At any level of pro ball.

Playing as a scab is a dead issue...has been for most of the last decade, at least.

#18 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 12112 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

The points about not bringing BV into 2013 as a lame duck are well taken. I expect Toronto will follow a similar approach with Farrell; he'll either be extended or cut loose this winter. Either way, constructing some kind of one-year managerial "bridge" will be unnecessary.

The only reason not to fire BV immediately following the season is if the FO is planning to sack Ben and/or force LL into retirement, in which case the fates of BV and the coaching staff should be deferred until new management has a chance to assess the situation.

#19 mauidano

• Mai Tais for everyone!

• 13216 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

Makes me laugh when Bogar's name comes up in conversation as a manager for the Sox. Most people on this board wanted him to die in a fire last couple years. The term
"Bogar'd" references to someone making a stupid move. Yeah, that's who is going to lead this team out of the ashes? No thanks. Varitek mentioned in this thread also. No way, no how. Being a decent catcher and a former team mate of some of these losers doesn't guarantee him ANY success. How about getting some experience as a coach first. No way he gets the keys to this franchise.

#20 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25460 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

Makes me laugh when Bogar's name comes up in conversation as a manager for the Sox. Most people on this board wanted him to die in a fire last couple years. The term
"Bogar'd" references to someone making a stupid move. Yeah, that's who is going to lead this team out of the ashes? No thanks. Varitek mentioned in this thread also. No way, no how. Being a decent catcher and a former team mate of some of these losers doesn't guarantee him ANY success. How about getting some experience as a coach first. No way he gets the keys to this franchise.

Bogar was getting killed due to his 3rd base coaching performance only.

#21 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6695 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:03 PM

Bogar was getting killed due to his 3rd base coaching performance only.

Seriously. It's like Sveum back in 2004. Just because a guy isn't a good 3rd base coach doesn't mean he can't be a good managerial candidate.

#22 Red(s)HawksFan

• 4998 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

Being a poor 3rd base coach does not necessarily equate to being a poor manager. Bogar managed four years in the minor leagues in the Astros and Indians organizations from 2004-2007. In the first three of those four years, he was named manager of the year after leading his teams to either the league's championship or best regular season record. From there, he was hired by the Red Sox.

There's no reason to discount his managerial ability based on how well he made split-second decisions while coaching third base.

#23 brs3

• sings praises of pinstripes

• 3552 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

I don't know, how much talent do they really have? A lot of money tied up in players who were really lousy this year, which limits their flexibility going forward. Granted, lowered expectations may make it a more attractive job but there's a lot of pressure and if you don't win quickly, you'll be gone.

I don't think Daubach is going to be the next Red Sox manager. Beyond his 8 years in MLB, Daubach is in his 4th season managing, 2nd year managing in affiliated ball. Do you honestly believe his replacement player status trumps all of that?

#24 Rudy Pemberton

• 28139 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

Honestly, at this point, I don't know what to think about the players on this team. I do think there might be some hard-asses who wouldn't accept a former replacement player as coach, no matter how long ago it was. Of course, Mark Portugal supposedly had a problem with him too, and the organization showed him the door. So, if the Sox do think highly of him, than I hope they'd consider him.

I didn't realize he'd had 4 years of experience managing, and he's been successful. Frankly, given his story and history here, he does seem like the right kind of guy. Hell, I'm actually completely on board with this now.

Daubach 2013

#25 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 10931 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

Bogar and a college coach friend of his have also spent a good deal of time coming up with a new way to measure a players contributions at the plate, so I'd say that he is also very open to the use of advanced metrics. I'm not endorsing him because of this, but I did want to make people aware of that bit of information.

There was also an article a couple of years ago, I think on BPro, talking about the risk/reward ratio of sending runners from 3B that's very interesting. I'll see if I can find it when I get home.

The article. I do want to give the credit to Rev for sending me the article.

#26 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 10931 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:15 PM

I broke this out of the Fire BV thread since it will give us a chance to rationally discuss managerial candidates for next season. I think that at least 95% of the board thinks that BV will be gone next year one way or the other. If you don't start another thread on that please. This is not a thread to rant and rave about BV, LL BC etc.

#27 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:30 PM

They apparently loved Sandy Alomar last year, but his lack of managerial experience was the death of his candidacy. He is respected in the game and would have immediate credibility in the clubhouse. Acta is apparently staying in CLE, so I wouldn't be shocked to revisit this. I'd also like to see Joe McEwing get considered this time around.

#28 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 7247 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:44 PM

What about Ken Macha? He has a pretty good record (.541 WP, 2 playoff appearances in 6 years), recent experience (last managing in 2010), has familiarity with Boston (managed in the minors in the late '90s, worked for NESN in '07-'08) but not directly connected to either the Francona regime or this year's shitshow. He's enough of a name to garner respect but not the outsized personality Bobby V is. He was a candidate for gigs after the '10 season but now he's under the radar a little bit.

On the minus side, he apparently had trouble getting along with Fielder and Braun in Milwaukee. And apparently some dude with a blog hates him.

#29 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16117 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

Dave Martinez from Tampa would be a great candidate. He supposedly is a big advocate of sabermetrics which should be a plus on his side. I'm not sure what happened last season when they brought him in for an interview, but he'd be a good guy to revisit. He is in charge of their defensive strategies and has alot of input in all areas except pitching. He also could be a guy that could get more out of Carl Crawford as he's worked with him at his best. Being a former player who played recently should bring him credibility in the clubhouse as well. With the way the Rays play for Joe Maddon and his staff, I think Martinez will bring something different that Valentine didn't have: respect from the players.

#30 Buckner's Boots

• 1834 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:50 PM

What do we know about Dave Martinez, other than being bench coach for the Rays?
Some interesting insight here: http://www.fangraphs...ay-bench-coach/

Edit: Hmm, Red October and I seem to be on a similar wavelength...

Edited by Buckner's Boots, 23 August 2012 - 11:51 PM.

#31 941827

• 3334 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:55 AM

It was laughable that they tried to change the culture by bringing in a new manager, but keeping all the other coaches around. They need to clean house, and they need to hire guys from the outside. Alomar or Martinez fit the bill. The Sox should aim to have an entire coaching staff together no later than December 1. Waiting around so that they wind up with their sixth-favorite choice as pitching coach cannot happen again.

#32 Carl Everetts Therapist

• yossarian

• PipPip
  • 1558 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

I think it is Mike Maddux's job to loose, that is unless a big name like Leyland, Soscia becomes available or if LaRussa decides he wants back in.

#33 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25460 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

I'd sell Nip's mother's kidneys to get Dave Martinez in the manager's seat here. He's by far the best man for the job. Saber-friendly, former player, comes from a very good franchise and has worked under one of the best managers in the game today.

#34 Rudy Pemberton

• 28139 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

I like Dave Martinez, but I was under the impression he didn't interview for any managerial positions last year, which seemed odd. Regardless, they need a guy like him (guys like Daubach, Sandberg, Lovullo, Alomar fit the bill) who can bring some energy to the club. Geriatric retreads like Valentine, Lamont, Macha, etc. need not apply. A staff that has no connection to the past few years is ideal; finding someone who may have some kind of history with the organization (such as a Daubach) or at least familiarity with the market / division can't hurt. I really think they need to think long term, an admission that while they want to win immediately, it's important to rebuild the culture and find someone who can be here for the long haul.

#35 David Laurila

• Barbara Walters' Illegitimate Son

• 1711 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:35 AM

1. Bo Porter
2. Torey Lovullo
3. Dave Martinez

#36 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:44 AM

Considering the way Tito was treated on the way out, would Mills/Farrell even have interest in partnering w/ this ownership group? Tito is Millsy's best friend, hardly feel he'd pretend the nastiness never happened. I'd say his loyalty to Tito would prevent him from accepting a managerial role.

Pros for Mills: "ML" Managerial experience, presence in '04 and '07, absence in September '11, alleged communication strengths, familiar with Boston/media, can interview now

Cons: May not want to accept due to Francona loyalty, didn't really overperform with poor talent in HOU

#37 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12124 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

Like I said, KC used to be a quality franchise once. Don't think it can't happen here. The park won't be banged out for much longer. The team has no money to spend because they've made such awful contract decisions over the past few years, and they're about to throw up a 75 win season. As for the fans being passionate, a poll just went out noting that the Patriots are by far the current Alpha Dog in the region, as frankly they should be given their level of success.

Right now, no, I don't believe Boston can attract good managerial candidates if the current ownership structure remains unchanged, if the GM isn't allowed to do his job without interference from Lucchino, if Henry remains away from the club, if the divisions widely reported to exist at every level of the organization don't become mended.

The club is a complete mess from top to bottom. No self-respecting managerial hopeful would ever want to come here and deal with this idiocy.

You are seeing clearly, IMO. You could have cited the Baltimore Orioles too.

In the mid to late 90s, they were in a brand new crib with a big market payroll drawing big market crowds. Then Peter Angelos sided with Robby Alomar and parted ways with manager of the year Davey Johnson after 1997. The following season, Angelos concluded that he knew better than Pat Gillick and parted ways with him too. Many who followed those 2 were figureheads; until this season, they have not had a winning season since. This from a franchise with more than 3 decades of "the Oriole way" at its back.

We know one thing about the Red Sox -- in the past year there has been no more dysfunctional franchise in professional sports. And I suppose we know another based on Sox Scout's post last night -- Larry fully expects to keep his "seat at the table" in baseball ops.

Good luck. The smart, able up-and-comers will pass, as they know that one bad job decision can kill a managerial career, just as it can a general manager's career.

#38 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 6959 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

One bonus to a McEwing candidacy....he has a strong relationship from his Cardinal years with TLR and Duncan, and maybe Duncan would consider being his pitching coach for the right money.

Alomar, McEwing, Lovullo, Martinez and maybe Kapler.....should come from a list like that or similar.

#39 HangingW/ScottCooper

• 1050 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

He can't get guys thrown out at the plate from the dugout. By all reports, despite his ineptitude as a 3rd base coach his value was as an infield coach.

I'm listening to a WEEI interview with Alex Cora right now and my thought then turned to his brother. I believe he's a bench coach under Ozzie?

#40 zenter

• slumdog idol

• 4740 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

While I'm part of the 5% that think BV will be back even after this disastrous August (even by this season's standards), Daubach seems like a good choice for dealing with Boston media, being that they loved him as a player. I don't think players would care if Daubach was a scab. I mean, union players played alongside him. Given that this is a management position, his dealings with the union would be via the Red Sox and MLB labor relations teams anyway.

EDIT: seplling

Edited by zenter, 24 August 2012 - 10:29 AM.

#41 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25460 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

Daubach is a pretty grumpy sort, met him in Feb at Fantasy Camp and he's a decent guy, but didn't strike me as a guy who'd tolerate the daily media grind all that well.

Who knows, I could have gotten him on a bad day, and his contemporaries liked him, but just my impression.

#42 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12478 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

With the caveat that I don't know to what extent Bogar has been a uniter or divider in this shitshow of a clubhouse, I'd love Bogar to get a long hard look. He's got the mL managerial track record, he's got the sabermetric bent. Stuck in my head is last week when BV5 got ejected, Bogar had Mortensen walk someone to get to the white-hot Machado. I thought it was lunatic at the time, but Machado struck out on a couple weak-ass swings. Blind luck or did he really have a good handle on the matchups? Don't know, but I'd like to find out.

Love Dave Martinez as a candidate too. Last year I was high on Alomar but I think I read some stuff about him not being particularly sabr-friendly and soured on him. All recollections wrong or your money back.

#43 NHbeau

• hates latinos/bay staters

• 579 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

With the dynamic change to this club in the last 24 hours the calculus for a new manager has to have changed. A Martinez/Sandberg type seems the route to go now. Need someone who knows they aren't going to win much next year and who can mentor/develop young talent while they get playing time at the MLB level. I'm hopeful that no one on the current staff even gets a passing glance for this job. Purge the coaching staff save for Magadan and start fresh with a new manager/staff as soon as possible.

#44 Papelbon's Poutine

• SoSH Member

• 5437 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

If they're dumping Bobby - which I am no longer completely against and have no idea if it's more or less likely from the trade - my vote is for Dave Martinez. I wanted Maddon back in 2004 - folks, please stop giving theo "credit" for Tito; it was the only way Schilling was coming - and hopefully 5 years as his bench coach has rubbed off enough on him. Maddon seems like a douche now, but he obviously is a hell of a manager.

#45 amh03

• Tippi Hedren

• 4365 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:05 PM

So this one may be a stretch, but he is on tap to manage the 2013 World Baseball Classic...so there's still some interest..

What about Joe Torre?

There's not exactly any love left for the former team, the guy knows how to manage a team of high priced athletes, he could handle the environment, and he'd likely garner respect instantly...

#46 reggiecleveland

• sublime

• 13661 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:07 AM

Can Torre bring back a peak level Mariano Rivera? A lot of the sustained success to his Yankees tenure when analyzed came down to Mo in the pen.

#47 YouLookAdopted

• 1002 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:29 AM

Terry Francona.

#48 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11446 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:42 AM

Torre's 72. Managing the WBC is one thing, the eight-month grind of a MLB manager's job is another. I think he's too old for the gig, even assuming he wanted it.

And honestly, even though Torre is obviously a very different personality, I'm really not psyched for another big-name, high-profile manager. I'm ready for obscure but competent.

Edited by Savin Hillbilly, 30 August 2012 - 08:42 AM.

#49 SaveBooFerriss

• twenty foreskins

• 6096 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

Daubach is a pretty grumpy sort, met him in Feb at Fantasy Camp and he's a decent guy, but didn't strike me as a guy who'd tolerate the daily media grind all that well.

Who knows, I could have gotten him on a bad day, and his contemporaries liked him, but just my impression.

Back in 2000 (I think), I met Daubach at a bar in Baltimore right after a Sox game. He couldn't have been nicer. I was living in St. Louis at the time and I had flown in for the game. Daubach is from outside St. Louis, so we talked about St. Louis and the Rams.

#50 HangingW/ScottCooper

• 1050 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

The reason to dump Bobby is that he (and to a lesser extent the Front Office) has been responsible for putting players in a bad position with the media. This is what was feared when he was hired. The expectation was that players would have to react to team related issues that were previously handled by the manager. Some examples I can think of:
  • Bobby Valentine criticizes Kevin Youkilis, Dustin Pedroia is asked about it, and says, "That's not the way we do things here"
  • Josh Beckett has a start skipped because Aaron Cook has to be called up. No acknowledgement from the manager and the explanation is that he's injured. He goes golfing and proceeds to write his ticket out of town when questioned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users