Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

Girardi melts down, argues with drunk heckler

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 12790 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

ESPN reporting:

As Girardi was about to begin his postgame news conference, the booming voice of an oversized, and possibly overserved, White Sox fan echoed through the concrete hallway beneath U.S. Cellular Field.

"Hey, Girardi, you bum! The Yankees suck!"

[...] Suddenly, there was Girardi breaking out of the pack, leaving a YES Network camera crew shooting his back and a gang of reporters watching in bemused disbelief, and shouting at the top of his lungs at a total stranger on his way out of the ballpark.

"Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Shut up! I'm doing an interview!" he said.

Then Girardi turned to a stadium security guard. "Do something, would you? Shut this guy up." "Yeah, kick me out!" the fan said, laughing as he headed out the door.

"Jesus, for crying out loud," Girardi muttered as he headed back into the media scrum.

As fun as this is (for non-Yankee fans), Girardi is sure under a lot of stress right now. He and his team are saying all the right things, but should they be worried about ending like the 2011 Red Sox?

#2 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 10145 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

Nope. The Yankees never choke in the regular season like the Sox did last year. I bet they win the division by like 6 games.

#3 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 6481 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

Nope. The Yankees never choke in the regular season like the Sox did last year. I bet they win the division by like 6 games.

They damn near did in 2000.....but overall I agree.

#4 SMU_Sox

• loves his fluffykins

• 4609 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:59 AM

So let me get this straight. You found this hilarious story and you wanted to post it. But you were worried you might get in trouble for posting it since it's basically just a humorous look at Girardi breaking down. So you thought and thought - how can I post this without getting in trouble? And then it came to you - hey, I'll just make it a serious question about stress and maybe, uh, the Yankees breaking down like the Sox did last year! That's it, EURfreakingEKA!

I kid, MDL, I kid.

To seriously answer your "question": No, they'll be fine. They might only win by 1 or 2 games but they'll seal the division.

#5 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 7738 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

ESPN reporting:

As fun as this is (for non-Yankee fans), Girardi is sure under a lot of stress right now. He and his team are saying all the right things, but should they be worried about ending like the 2011 Red Sox?

He's under a lot of stress? Maybe but I think all you can really glean from that is that he's a self-important dickhead. This reminds me a little of Tito's hissy fits when a cell phone would go off during post-game press conferences.

Invoking September 2011 is like invoking the Sox 0-3 comeback in 2004. It's delicious to think about history repeating itself but when something almost never happens, it's pretty damned unlikely to happen two years in a row.

Edited by TheoShmeo, 23 August 2012 - 10:34 AM.

#6 Toe Nash

• 2739 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

I guess I'd need to see video to know if he really went flying off the handle, but from the report it doesn't sound like that much of a "meltdown." He yelled back at a heckler. Big deal.

#7 Corsi

• Wes Chamberlain's Sasha Rockets

• 8221 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

Hardly melted down. Hardly argued. In fact, it was impressive how easily he came backed and continued answering the question.

Edit: won't let me embed video for some reason. Link to video: http://www.csnchicag...hcvjYTyCn7B_mtM

Edited by Corsi, 23 August 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#8 terrynever

• 4849 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

How is it that the White Sox allow press conferences to occur outside the clubhouse, 20 feet from fans heading out of the stadium? Seems like a recipe for disaster.

#9 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 20265 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

The Chicago White Sox employ Hawk Harrelson. Nuff' said.

I like what Girardi did.

#10 Rick Burlesons Yam Bag

• Internet Cowboy

• 16455 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

Yeah, I thought Girardi handled this completely appropriately.

#11 Trlicek's Whip

• 2814 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

ESPN trolling for page hits with less-than-accurate stingers for headlines? Mission accomplished.

#12 Guero

• 87 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:16 AM

20 in a row, on the road, getting swept, and some jackass yelling while he's trying to do his thing. Yep, I don't blame him. Girardi has tried to keep his cool, giving the impression he's leading in a calm manner, but the reality is he's a fiery guy and always has been. Sometimes, you just explode after you've had the switch flipped.

From a personal view, I wish he would flip that switch more often and go all batshit crazy a la Pinella. I understand why he doesn't, because it just gives the media fuel.

#13 PacificRimJob

• 16 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

I thought the heckling itself was pretty mild. The language wasnt offensive and the guy didnt get personal. I think it should have a been a let it slide moment but presumably with the result of the series, Girardi wasnt in the mood.

#14 crow216

• SoSH Member

• 5260 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

I wish someone did that to Tortorella.

#15 joyofsox

• empty, bleak

• 5986 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

This is the first time in Yankees franchise history they have blown a 10-game division or league lead.

http://espn.go.com/n...nd-history-2012

#16 Andrew

• broke his neck in costa rica

• 8395 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:03 AM

The whole "pshaw, they'll be fine they're the Yankees" is really, really lame guy. Back it up with something substantive beyond the mythical nature of being a YANKEE, please.

#17 terrynever

• 4849 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

I thought the heckling itself was pretty mild. The language wasnt offensive and the guy didnt get personal. I think it should have a been a let it slide moment but presumably with the result of the series, Girardi wasnt in the mood.

Girardi said the next day that his family was standing nearby. Wife and young kids. Joe wanted to stop the guy before it got worse. The security guard was sitting in a chair. I think Joe was equally as pissed at the nearby security guard who was just watching.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users