Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Yankees acquire Derek Lowe

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,673 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

Source: Yankees have acquired Derek Lowe.

https://twitter.com/...410185513369600

Yankees beat writer Marc Carig.

Edited by RedOctober3829, 11 August 2012 - 05:13 PM.

#2 Wingack

• Yankee Mod

• 10,775 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

CC must be really hurt.

#3 mauidano

• Mai Tais for everyone!

• 13,766 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

See you next weekend D-Lowe. Hope you continue your wicked ways.

#4 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,673 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

Joel Sherman indicates that the Yankees plan to use Lowe out of the pen.
https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/234413386341961728
link to tweet

#5 Tyrone Biggums

• nfl meets tri-annually at a secret country mansion in colorado,

• 3,564 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

Great...smart money says Lowe joins the rotation goes 5-0 down the stretch and out pitches anyone in our rotation...sounds par for the course this year, right?

#6 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,395 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

Really really hate this move, will wait to see how they actually use him, I guess.

#7 Shaky

• 97 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

Really really hate this move, will wait to see how they actually use him, I guess.

My guess would be they move Phelps into CC's spot and replace Phelps with Lowe as the long man, though they really didn't use Phelps that way.

#8 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16,860 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

"Past a diving Jeter, into center and the tying run scores!"

#9 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

Just another arm for the Texas series. Bullpen has been overused in Detroit. Lowe is stretched out.
Would Yanks really start Adam Warren Monday night in national TV game?
Can't wait to see what Lowe says about joining Yankees. How will he fit in?

Edited by terrynever, 11 August 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#10 sfip

• directly related to Marilyn Monroe

• 7,455 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:38 PM

Mendoza
Bellhorn
Embree
Myers
Damon
Mientkiewicz
Lowe

How many more of the '04 Red Sox will the Yankees take? Yes I included a guy who was on the Yankees for years before the '04 Red Sox.

#11 carver

• 1,689 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:56 PM

Mendoza
Bellhorn
Embree
Myers
Damon
Mientkiewicz
Lowe

How many more of the '04 Red Sox will the Yankees take?

Anyone of them that has a pulse, apparently...

#12 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8,298 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:18 AM

It's as if Cashman thinks that eating as many 04 Sox as possible will exercise the demon. That he didn't sign Manny or go after Ortiz last off season is wondrous.

#13 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:19 AM

Phelps starting Monday night's ESPN game with Texas and Lowe in the bullpen, according to today's Post.

#14 Shaky

• 97 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

It's as if Cashman thinks that eating as many 04 Sox as possible will exercise the demon. That he didn't sign Manny or go after Ortiz last off season is wondrous.

What demon? The curse of MT?

#15 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

Lowe's going to fit in nicely with the Yankees because they are such a veteran team. In Cleveland, the Indians were asking him to carry a heavy load as a starting pitcher on an inexperienced team trying to contend. The Yankees will ask him to go back to the bullpen where he has been successful in the past. Empty the tank for two or three innings. The guy hasn't pitched since July 31, which can't hurt. He had some impressive starts for Cleveland this year, got whacked around in his final three games before getting released.

Edited by terrynever, 12 August 2012 - 10:24 AM.

#16 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,395 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

Please with the 2004 stuff, no one cares about that except Sox fans.

And Lowe was terrible for months for Cleveland, a 8.80 ERA in his last 12 starts. It's basically a desperation depth move, and I don't really like it, as I said above.

#17 BellhornIsGod

• 173 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

Lowe's going to fit in nicely with the Yankees because they are such a veteran team. In Cleveland, the Indians were asking him to carry a heavy load as a starting pitcher on an inexperienced team trying to contend. The Yankees will ask him to go back to the bullpen where he has been successful in the past. Empty the tank for two or three innings. The guy hasn't pitched since July 31, which can't hurt. He had some impressive starts for Cleveland this year, got whacked around in his final three games before getting released.

I don't really get this. Do you really think that Lowe, a guy that has appeared in over 650 games, and won 174 fell off a cliff in late May because the Indians had a young team? Sinkerballers are usually streaky, and the older they get, the streakier they can be. It's possible he regains some of his April/May magic for the Yankees but I really don't think it's because NY is full of veterans, it will be because he corrected whatever awful mechanical flaw caused him to have an ERA of 8.80 over his last 12 starts.

#18 sfip

• 7,455 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

Please with the 2004 stuff, no one cares about that except Sox fans.

I know this is a Yankees discussion forum, but this is a Sox forum site. It comes with the territory. You had to know it was going to be mentioned, and it's not like it's dominating the thread to the extent that people can't talk about the effect this move has on the Yankees.

Edited by sfip, 12 August 2012 - 11:21 AM.

#19 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

I don't really get this. Do you really think that Lowe, a guy that has appeared in over 650 games, and won 174 fell off a cliff in late May because the Indians had a young team? Sinkerballers are usually streaky, and the older they get, the streakier they can be. It's possible he regains some of his April/May magic for the Yankees but I really don't think it's because NY is full of veterans, it will be because he corrected whatever awful mechanical flaw caused him to have an ERA of 8.80 over his last 12 starts.

Didn't explain it well enough. I think Lowe can help the Yankees because his work load will be diminished greatly over what he had been asked to do in Cleveland. He was worn out after three months, fairly typical for a guy his age. Never known for being in the best physical condition, Lowe could be effective in short stints with the Yankees.
Having veteran teammates means little, of course. But he may be more comfortable just fitting in as one player than as a veteran asked to lead a young pitching staff as he was in Cleveland.
Side note: 1998 Yankees who later played for Boston -- Wells, Mendoza and Cone.

#20 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,395 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

I know this is a Yankees discussion forum, but this is a Sox forum site. It comes with the territory. You had to know it was going to be mentioned, and it's not like it's dominating the thread to the extent that people can't talk about the effect this move has on the Yankees.

Yeah, I wasn't posting as a mod, just as a poster. No matter what team you root for, it's hard to believe that anyone could think that Lowe being on the Sox in 2004 entered into Cashman's thinking for a second here (although having AL East experience, albeit from a really long time ago, was probably a tiny factor).

#21 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:38 AM

Lowe is also a groundball pitcher, which should play well in YS.

#22 sfip

• 7,455 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

Yeah, I wasn't posting as a mod, just as a poster. No matter what team you root for, it's hard to believe that anyone could think that Lowe being on the Sox in 2004 entered into Cashman's thinking for a second here (although having AL East experience, albeit from a really long time ago, was probably a tiny factor).

Agreed, but FWIW I wasn't seriously saying it was.

#23 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,395 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

I was mostly responding to TheoShmeo's post.

#24 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

I'm still worried about TheoShmeo having Cashman "exercising" that demon. Is Cashman walking the demon around Central Park in his spare time? :blink:

Edited by terrynever, 12 August 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#25 YankeesIsrael

• 24 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

Side note: 1998 Yankees who later played for Boston -- Wells, Mendoza and Cone.

And Lowell.

#26 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

And Lowell.

thanks.

#27 Shawn O'Leary

• 729 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

Lowe is also a groundball pitcher, which should play well in YS.

Posted Image

#28 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

Yeah, we've had a few infield hits to shortstop over the past few days, including a two-out grounder today that led to a few extra runs in the fourth inning.
If Lowe had showed up today, he'd be pitching right now.

#29 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8,298 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

No matter how you slice it or what hat you were wearing, the amount of 2004 Sox who have ended up on the Yankees is bizarre. How many 2004 Yankees have ended up on the Sox? How many players from any other 2004 team have the Yankees picked up? Does it mean anything? Probably not. But it's odd, and I do wonder if some of Cashman's moves have been in part motivated by the rivalry. Away from the 2004 team, the Darnell pick-up was kind of hard to otherwise explain.

The demons comment was tongue in cheek.

#30 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,395 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

I agree about the ones like Bellhorn and Embree and Myers (although NY tried to get him in 2004 when BOS did, BOS was just ahead of them on the waiver claim list) that happened in the ensuing year or two, just not this one.

The Darnell thing was another odd, semi-desperate depth move that made no sense to me, and didn't last long, so not sure what to say to that, maybe you're right.

#31 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

I think Cashman is more comfortable acquiring players who have succeeded in the AL East. You've got to respect even the fringe guys who don't back down in the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry.
There's no question Cashman signed Damon in 2006, knowing he was weakening Boston and improving his own team. Of course, Boston could have kept Damon but chose not to. Ellsbury was nearly ready.

Edited by terrynever, 12 August 2012 - 03:10 PM.

#32 Shaky

• 97 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:07 PM

So far so good.

#33 hbk72777

• 590 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:12 PM

No matter how you slice it or what hat you were wearing, the amount of 2004 Sox who have ended up on the Yankees is bizarre. How many 2004 Yankees have ended up on the Sox? How many players from any other 2004 team have the Yankees picked up? Does it mean anything? Probably not. But it's odd, and I do wonder if some of Cashman's moves have been in part motivated by the rivalry. Away from the 2004 team, the Darnell pick-up was kind of hard to otherwise explain.

The demons comment was tongue in cheek.

It happens. How many of the '86 Mets have the Yankees had? Elster, Strawberry, Gooden, Orosco,Ojeda, Santana. Mazzilli if we're counting before. . (and it looks like Baltimore took most of the others who didn't go to the Yanks).Stretch it to the 88 playoff team and add Cone.

#34 Andrew

• broke his neck in costa rica

• 9,699 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

Of course, Boston could have kept Damon but chose not to.

Is this the version of the story they go with in New York?

#35 Orel Miraculous

• 1,522 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

Of course, Boston could have kept Damon but chose not to. Ellsbury was nearly ready.

Umm, Jacoby Ellsbury had played a grand total of 35 professional baseball games in the NYPL when Damon left.

#36 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,598 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:21 AM

Hey, at least the Sox were right about this.

#37 TheYaz67

• 3,558 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

So far so good.

Yeah, not so much any more. He has been pretty brutal lately, even in mop up duty (albeit many in the NY pen are also struggling).

Embedded Red Sock, going out in style!

#38 JohnnyK

• 1,024 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:49 AM

Yeah, not so much any more. He has been pretty brutal lately, even in mop up duty (albeit many in the NY pen are also struggling).

From PeteAbe's old stomping grounds:

Joba has been terrible since returning to the team, surrendering at least one run in six of his nine appearances. Marc Carig of The Star-Ledger and I were talking, and we couldn’t recall one positive outing that he’s had since his return. Lowe has been even worse, allowing at least a run in five of his last six appearances.