Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Rosenthal: Sox sign Podsednik to Major League deal

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#1 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

Ken_Rosenthal: Source: Podsednik back with #RedSox on major-league deal.

#2 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 9612 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:48 PM

Precursor to a trade?

#3 Pumpsie

• The Kilimanjaro of bullshit

• 10596 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

Let me guess...Cody Ross for a reliever.

#4 BoSox Rule

• 1420 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

This has been the most confusing year of my life.

#5 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

Precursor to a trade?

My first thought was Crawford surgery. I don't know why we need this guy.

Or this is the Red Sox

Edited by SoxScout, 09 August 2012 - 09:53 PM.

#6 Ferm Sheller

• 4461 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:51 PM

Probably DFAing Breslow.

#7 TheYellowDart5

• Hustle and bustle

• 8597 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

Hey, any time you can sign Minor League caliber talent to a Major League deal, you have to do it.

This front office seems obsessed with giving guaranteed deals to players who don't deserve it.

#8 Plympton91

• loves a good bowl haircut

• 6208 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:57 PM

I would think sending Kalish down to AAA where he belongs and can play everyday, while using Podsednik as the major league backup. Ortiz took BP today and will run tomorrow; once he's back Ross is the everyday RFer. Maybe Nava is headed for the 60-day DL, we haven't put anybody on that list in, what, a whole week or two now?

#9 JakeRae

• SoSH Member

• 5287 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

My first thought was Crawford surgery. I don't know why we need this guy.

Or this is the Red Sox

Crawford surgery seems like the logical explanation. But, since that is pretty much throwing in the towel, why not promote Lin or Hassan and really just say screw it? (Linares isn't an option only because he is not Rule 5 eligible this offseason nor is he already on the 40 man.)

#10 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 26056 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

Can I interject a question here?

How in the bloody hell does Scott Podsednik have any value to this organization whatsoever?

#11 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 9612 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

Kalish back to Pawtucket per Cafardo.

#12 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 25131 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:02 PM

I bet Sweeney to the 60-Day, for the 40-man spot

Edited by E5 Yaz, 09 August 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#13 86spike

• Currently enjoying "Arli$$"

• 21999 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:02 PM

I'm guessing Ellsbury traded for Heath Bell

#14 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 26056 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

Three weeks, ladies and gentlemen, three weeks.

#15 aksoxfan

• 2179 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:09 PM

Milton Bradley wasn't available?

#16 Plympton91

• 6208 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

I would think sending Kalish down to AAA where he belongs and can play everyday, while using Podsednik as the major league backup. Ortiz took BP today and will run tomorrow; once he's back Ross is the everyday RFer. Maybe Nava is headed for the 60-day DL, we haven't put anybody on that list in, what, a whole week or two now?

#17 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23114 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

Holy shit I was just joking when I said that he was in available in a game thread. What in the world.

#18 MoGator71

• 4963 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:25 PM

I'm guessing Ellsbury traded for Heath Bell

Thankfully Ells won't clear waivers. Bell would though, so there's hope...

#19 Cellar-Door

• SoSH Member

• 5576 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:16 PM

How in the bloody hell does Scott Podsednik have any value to this organization whatsoever?

He can backup CF, letting them give Kalish everyday ABs in AAA?
Also he's the answer to this trivia question: What position player had the highest OPS for the 2012 Red Sox?

#20 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 20647 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:24 PM

He's a gritty character guy, and this tailspun team needs a lot of character.

#21 roundegotrip

• 1940 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:56 AM

Podsednik is a mystery wrapped in an enigma. He had a couple of bad seasons in 07 and 08, then in 09 he put up a .765 OPS and stole 30 bases in 587 PAs, and in '10 he put up a .724 OPS and stole 35 bases in 595 PAs. He followed that up by sucking out loud for parts of two seasons in the minors, then came back up to the majors and tore the cover off the ball for 20 games. Pretty strange career trajectory, eh?

#22 greek_gawd_of_walks

• SoSH Member

• 5264 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:57 AM

What the hell, why not bring Scotty Pods back. Kalish will benefit from full time ABs (and he didn't exactly look spectacular in his chances anyways). He'll be back up in three weeks. Pods is a better late-inning SB threat I suppose. Not that end of game situationals really matter to an 85 win team anyways, but still.

#23 Sausage in Section 17

• Poker Champ

• 679 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:10 AM

Could there be a service time issue with Kalish? This team never misses a chance to string those things out.

Pods might actually be a more versatile bench player, and continuing to slot Kalish in that role could further screw up a guy who's development has already been rocky.

#24 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28121 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:35 AM

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to give Kalish regular playing time at the big league level, to find out where he slots for next year, and whether the Sox need to sign a RF? Him playing well in Pawtucket won't tell us much. This only makes sense if Ross is about to be traded. I mean, they don't think this team is a contender, do they? What a baffling organization.

#25 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8285 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:41 AM

What the hell, why not bring Scotty Pods back. Kalish will benefit from full time ABs (and he didn't exactly look spectacular in his chances anyways). He'll be back up in three weeks. Pods is a better late-inning SB threat I suppose. Not that end of game situationals really matter to an 85 win team anyways, but still.

85 wins...good one. change the 8 to a 7 and you've got it. Kalish looks like he has regressed a bit at the plate and probably should be playing every day.

#26 OCD SS

• SoSH Member

• 6841 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:48 AM

I don't recall seeing anyone come up with this move in the "If you were the GM" thread.

#27 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11423 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:14 AM

I don't recall seeing anyone come up with this move in the "If you were the GM" thread.

It's moves like this that separate the real professionals from the armchair wannabes.

#28 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8178 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:39 AM

This is one of those times when I think people are being negative too quickly. What's the problem? Kalish hasn't exactly lit it up when he's been given the chance, and he could probably benefit from regular playing time until call-ups on September 1. At the very least, it couldn't hurt him to play regularly for three weeks. And Podsednik, while clearly not part of the future of this team, is a credible back-up. He plays solid D and can run. He also hit well in his small sample time in Boston and while no one expects him to hit .380 going forward, I doubt he'll be Darnellian.

This whole year blows chunks and perhaps the reaction is to be taken in that context, but swapping Podsednik for Kalish right now looks, at worst, to be a neutral.

#29 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 37809 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:14 AM

Maybe Nava is headed for the 60-day DL,

I bet Sweeney to the 60-Day, for the 40-man spot

Atchison still hasn't been moved to the 60-day DL, so that's my bet.

#30 NickEsasky

• Code Name: Duchess

• 6797 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:20 AM

This is one of those times when I think people are being negative too quickly. What's the problem? Kalish hasn't exactly lit it up when he's been given the chance, and he could probably benefit from regular playing time until call-ups on September 1. At the very least, it couldn't hurt him to play regularly for three weeks. And Podsednik, while clearly not part of the future of this team, is a credible back-up. He plays solid D and can run. He also hit well in his small sample time in Boston and while no one expects him to hit .380 going forward, I doubt he'll be Darnellian.

This whole year blows chunks and perhaps the reaction is to be taken in that context, but swapping Podsednik for Kalish right now looks, at worst, to be a neutral.

I think that if you just chalk this up to a lost season, it makes more sense to see what you have in Kalish at the ML level rather than let him continue to have success in AAA. Podsednik has no value to this team long term, it makes more sense to see if Kalish does. Let him work out the kinks now rather than next year when we may actually make the playoffs.

Edited by NickEsasky, 10 August 2012 - 07:21 AM.

#31 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8178 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:05 AM

I think that if you just chalk this up to a lost season, it makes more sense to see what you have in Kalish at the ML level rather than let him continue to have success in AAA. Podsednik has no value to this team long term, it makes more sense to see if Kalish does. Let him work out the kinks now rather than next year when we may actually make the playoffs.

I hear that but the Sox are still acting as if they have a shot (they don't!) and are not running Kalish out there every day. If and when they raise the white flag, I agree that they should play him regularly in RF, and I think they will. Said differently, I'll be surprised if Podsednik plays much instead of Kalish in September.

#32 crystalline

• 2135 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:29 AM

I don't understand the original Breslow deal; it was largely a salary dump, correct? Why would you put Podsednik in the deal? No surprise that he refused assignment to the minors, so why not just keep him and make it Albers+cash/cash commitment for Breslow? This isn't the NBA, you don't have to make salaries match.

#33 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 17833 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

Cherington works in mysterious ways.

Seriously I can't tell what the hell that man is thinking.

#34 Joe Shlabotnick

• 1350 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

Clealy a GFIN move. There can't be any other logical explanation.

#35 judyb

• 3332 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

I don't understand the original Breslow deal; it was largely a salary dump, correct? Why would you put Podsednik in the deal? No surprise that he refused assignment to the minors, so why not just keep him and make it Albers+cash/cash commitment for Breslow? This isn't the NBA, you don't have to make salaries match.

It looks like the D-Backs lent them a 40 man roster spot just long enough for them to figure out they didn't need it.

#36 ShaneTrot

• 4454 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

Well with the great Allard Baird being the VP/Player Personnel and Professional Scouting for the Red Sox, I suppose anything is possible. Perhaps we could sign Juan Gonzalez or Reggie Sanders, or some other corpse. At this point they should be playing kids that have a future as much as possible. What does Posednick bring?

#37 Stu Nahan

• 3800 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

Isn't this move really just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic? I guess the front office can claim that it is still making moves to try to bolster the roster. I don't know who would actually believe that, but reality never stops them from saying things along those lines.

#38 Buzzkill Pauley

• SoSH Member

• 5241 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

Isn't this move really just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic? I guess the front office can claim that it is still making moves to try to bolster the roster. I don't know who would actually believe that, but reality never stops them from saying things along those lines.

It's only not doing that if the Sox are going to let Crawford get the TJ surgery he needs, so that he can come back at as close to 100% for the start of next season as possible.

That's got to happen at this point.

#39 Stu Nahan

• 3800 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

It's only not doing that if the Sox are going to let Crawford get the TJ surgery he needs, so that he can come back at as close to 100% for the start of next season as possible.

That's got to happen at this point.

Which means CC getting surgery now almost certainly won't happen if recent history is any indication of what the organization plans to do.

Edited by Stu Nahan, 10 August 2012 - 11:28 AM.

#40 Hokie Sox

• 83 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

As usual, notgraphs comes up clutch again:

http://www.fangraphs...year-old-girls/

#41 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 37809 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:11 PM

Sweeney moved to the 60-day DL.

E5Yaz, please claim your prize at the courtesy booth.

#42 Plympton91

• 6208 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:15 PM

I hear that but the Sox are still acting as if they have a shot (they don't!) and are not running Kalish out there every day. If and when they raise the white flag, I agree that they should play him regularly in RF, and I think they will. Said differently, I'll be surprised if Podsednik plays much instead of Kalish in September.

They don't have a good shot, but they're getting Bailey back which is a huge boost to the pen, Crawford is playing well, Gonzalez is playing well, Pedroia seems to be coming around, Ellsbury still hasn't put it together, and Ortiz seems like he'll be back sooner or later.

Professionals don't give up quite yet. Go ahead and call me delusional.

And, Kalish needs to be in AAA. He's not major league caliber right now.

#43 reggiecleveland

• sublime

• 13639 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

Is this guy joking? If so well done.
http://bosoxinjectio...n-breslow-deal/

#44 judyb

• 3332 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:34 AM

He's 15 years old, so maybe not.

#45 shepard50

• 4397 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:08 AM

And if not?

Conor, the author of the article is 15 years old. Better than I would have done at that age by far, but hardly the stuff of a Modest Proposal.