Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

Happy Patriots Day.  I expect some heavy usage today so please if there are any problems just let me know via twitter @sonsofsamhorn.  thanks folks.  nip

Photo

Chris Kelly (4/$12) and Greg Campbell (3/$4.8) Re-Sign

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

#1 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 8936 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

Per Bob.

https://twitter.com/.../TSNBobMcKenzie

They are not done yet, but Chris Kelly and Gregory Campbell are closing in on new multi-year deals with BOS. Both are UFA on July 1.

Point is, unless there is some unexpected last-minute hitch in final stages of negotiations, both will be back in BOS next season.

Good news. We'll probably cringe at the Kelly numbers, but I'm real glad to have him in the fold. I dont' think there has been a single player acquisition I've ever been more wrong about than Chris Kelly.

Edited by cshea, 11 June 2012 - 06:29 PM.

#2 Eddie Jurak

• Go Leafs Go

• 8461 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

I'm a little surprised that they are extending both. I thought they would make a run at Kelly and use Campbell as plan B.

Now I really hope Pouliot is done here, since they appear to be bringing back every other starting forward.

#3 FelixMantilla

• reincarnated mr hate

• 8288 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

Gotta say I'm not excited about these moves. Hopefully they are short-term deals.

#4 erfus

• 1566 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

I'm not a fan of standing pat. Wasn't a fan of it even after the Cup win. But, I can't judge the roster makeup before training camp. Even if they bring back Campbell and Kelly, it doesn't necessarily mean there won't be some roster turnover. It just may happen in places that involve a trade.

That said, veterans on the 3rd and 4th lines has always been a pet peeve of mine. When you clog the complimentary parts of the team with 1-way long term contracts, you lose the spot for a guy like Marchand to earn a place on the 4th line and develop into something more. Guys like Paille, Campbell, Thornton, Kelly...they are what they are. Too much of a good thing I suppose.

#5 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 14944 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:58 PM

Not upset but I was hoping they'd only bring back 2 of Kelly/Campbell/Paille (preferably Kelly and whoever). I hope the money for Kelly isn't too much.

#6 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 16499 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

$3.5m or less is fine for Kelly IMO, especially if the cap is up to $68-70m.

#7 Nomar813

• SoSH Member

• 5813 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:37 AM

I don't mind this as long as the money is reasonable. It's harder for a guy like Spooner to make the team to start the season, but injuries will undoubtedly allow younger players to get an opportunity to break in. I'd prefer the problem of too many solid veterans on the third and fourth lines than insufficient depth. The big disappointment is the likely end of the era of the Balls nickname.

#8 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18022 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

I don't mind this as long as the money is reasonable. It's harder for a guy like Spooner to make the team to start the season, but injuries will undoubtedly allow younger players to get an opportunity to break in. I'd prefer the problem of too many solid veterans on the third and fourth lines than insufficient depth. The big disappointment is the likely end of the era of the Balls nickname.

Honestly I think guys like Spooner and Knight SHould get tiome in at the AHL level before coming to Boston, and I think doing that gives you depth as an organization. Hopefully this means when a player goes down next year we don't need to bring up a Hamil or Whitfield.

And really the Bruins have no one in the organization who really profiled well as a replacement for Campbell or Kelly. Spooner is not a 4th line center in the way the Bruins use the position, and I don't think he is ready to be a 3rd line center. McDermid is a wing, I don't think you could play a line of Paille, McDermid and Thornton, which I guess would push Sean to C? The only possible replacement is Arniel, and he had a piss poor year last season.

I like resigning both players, assuming they get reasonable deals. Hopefully Kelly is around 3 million, and Campbell around 1.5, maybe 1.75 (hard to pay him less than Colorado gave Hunwick to sit in the pressbox as a 7), and assuming they don't get long term NMC. I could see maybe giving Kelly a NTC for 1 year followed by a Limited NTC for the remainder (ie list of 8 he won't go to type stuff). Campbell at most I would give a limited NTC year one

In terms of this meaning the Bruins are done and won't make any other big moves, I don't believe these signings would say that. I think these are guys you sign even if you were looking into trade options to improve the top 6, as any trade option would likely mean moving a roster player or two out (as well as picks/prospects). , so you would want your value guys around

#9 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 5817 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:16 AM

I'm not a fan of standing pat. Wasn't a fan of it even after the Cup win. But, I can't judge the roster makeup before training camp. Even if they bring back Campbell and Kelly, it doesn't necessarily mean there won't be some roster turnover. It just may happen in places that involve a trade.

That said, veterans on the 3rd and 4th lines has always been a pet peeve of mine. When you clog the complimentary parts of the team with 1-way long term contracts, you lose the spot for a guy like Marchand to earn a place on the 4th line and develop into something more. Guys like Paille, Campbell, Thornton, Kelly...they are what they are. Too much of a good thing I suppose.

I'm sorry, but I just flat out disagree. The Bruins have had some of the best depth in the league and it's helped them get to the playoffs each year that Claude has been here. You raise Marchand as a counter-argument, yet he was able to be broken into the lineup quite fine. If a young guy is pushing themselves into the lineup, the Bruins have found a way to get them ice time. If there is one thing that I'm not worried about when it comes to Claude and Chia, it's breaking in young players - they've done a fantastic job over the years.

#10 Sports Illustrator

• Pip
  • 282 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

Kelly is the 2nd most underrated behind Bergeron. Would love to have Soupy back too. Lock em up!

Edited by Sports Illustrator, 11 June 2012 - 08:52 AM.

#11 TheRealness

• Don't make him go all Lucic on your ash

• 8049 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

I'm sorry, but I just flat out disagree. The Bruins have had some of the best depth in the league and it's helped them get to the playoffs each year that Claude has been here. You raise Marchand as a counter-argument, yet he was able to be broken into the lineup quite fine. If a young guy is pushing themselves into the lineup, the Bruins have found a way to get them ice time. If there is one thing that I'm not worried about when it comes to Claude and Chia, it's breaking in young players - they've done a fantastic job over the years.

I tend to agree with this when it comes to my view of Kelly. Sure, in the regular season, Kelly doesn't have tremendous value, but in the playoffs guys like him can almost double their worth with the way they play. The depth they can run out there is what got them to the Cup last year, and bringing him back makes sense.

Both signings suggest they continue to value Center depth over all else, and also that they see Seguin as a wing. With Kelly and Campbell back, and Krejci looking like he's going to stay, I suspect they are going to slot Seguin back with Bergeron, and then the only thing they have to do is fill out the 3rd line wing spot. Caron would have the best chance, but I imagine Knight, Suave, and Spooner are all considerations for 3rd line duty.

Given the options out there, and the fact they could put any free agent winger on the top two lines, that leaves anyone from Huselius, Doan, Penner, Langkow, Hudler, Whitney, etc as options. Parise is still a dream, but I think that grows more unlikely by the minute.

#12 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18022 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

I tend to agree with this when it comes to my view of Kelly. Sure, in the regular season, Kelly doesn't have tremendous value, but in the playoffs guys like him can almost double their worth with the way they play. The depth they can run out there is what got them to the Cup last year, and bringing him back makes sense.

Both signings suggest they continue to value Center depth over all else, and also that they see Seguin as a wing. With Kelly and Campbell back, and Krejci looking like he's going to stay, I suspect they are going to slot Seguin back with Bergeron, and then the only thing they have to do is fill out the 3rd line wing spot. Caron would have the best chance, but I imagine Knight, Suave, and Spooner are all considerations for 3rd line duty.

Well they could also use these signings to free up Krejci in a deal before his NTC goes into effect. I am torn on trading David, but in the right deal I might do it. I would need a legitimate top 6 winger under team control for several years you have to consider t, and that option is only available if they bring Campbell and Kelly back

#13 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 5817 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

Given the options out there, and the fact they could put any free agent winger on the top two lines, that leaves anyone from Huselius, Doan, Penner, Langkow, Hudler, Whitney, etc as options. Parise is still a dream, but I think that grows more unlikely by the minute.

Shane Doan :fap:

#14 erfus

• 1566 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

Another opposing argument (I am now arguing against myself) is Hamilton. He's a kid and as of today he seems like he's pencilled in as one of the top 6. So, there's some precedent for youth and some indication that the Bs will make room for youth, though Hamilton is such a high-profile prospect he kind of towers above the forward crop.

Marchand broke in on the 4th line, pushed Paille to the press box pretty often, and graduated to top 9 duty. If that scenario is still a valid one, I'm fine with it. My concern is that: 1) it could be harder to scratch a 4th line plugger when he has a Cup ring and a shiny new long term contract and 2) that generally the management has fallen in love with its players and doesn't seem to be growing the team over last offseason and the very early returns on this offseason.

There is still the Pouliot spot to be taken by a kid, whether Pouliot is back or not, and I think that's a valid point. But if they do acquire a more seasoned and better player, like a Whitney or whoever, that spot vanishes. The Bs will have depth in Providence next season and at some point soon they should trust their system to fill these lesser roster spots instead of spending dollars on established, low-ceiling veterans.

If I had it my way, they would've let one of the 4th liners go and go bargain hunting for a training camp tryout to push Caron to win the spot. I'm less concerned about Kelly coming back in principle, more concerned about how much money he's going to pull in coming off a career year and heading into his age 32-33-34 seasons. I also like Seguin as a center long-term, but that's a different thread for a different day.

#15 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 5817 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

Another opposing argument (I am now arguing against myself) is Hamilton. He's a kid and as of today he seems like he's pencilled in as one of the top 6. So, there's some precedent for youth and some indication that the Bs will make room for youth, though Hamilton is such a high-profile prospect he kind of towers above the forward crop.

Marchand broke in on the 4th line, pushed Paille to the press box pretty often, and graduated to top 9 duty. If that scenario is still a valid one, I'm fine with it. My concern is that: 1) it could be harder to scratch a 4th line plugger when he has a Cup ring and a shiny new long term contract and 2) that generally the management has fallen in love with its players and doesn't seem to be growing the team over last offseason and the very early returns on this offseason.

There is still the Pouliot spot to be taken by a kid, whether Pouliot is back or not, and I think that's a valid point. But if they do acquire a more seasoned and better player, like a Whitney or whoever, that spot vanishes. The Bs will have depth in Providence next season and at some point soon they should trust their system to fill these lesser roster spots instead of spending dollars on established, low-ceiling veterans.

If I had it my way, they would've let one of the 4th liners go and go bargain hunting for a training camp tryout to push Caron to win the spot. I'm less concerned about Kelly coming back in principle, more concerned about how much money he's going to pull in coming off a career year and heading into his age 32-33-34 seasons. I also like Seguin as a center long-term, but that's a different thread for a different day.

You make valid points and I don't disagree with the contention that the Bruins are resting on their laurels - it seems they might be, but again, the offseason hasn't even officially begun.

I do think, though, that not all prospects are best suited for 4th line duty. I think the skill players should be broken in on the 3rd (or 2nd lines, if required). Marchand is a special case in that he can play a good 4th liner or a good 2nd liner, a guy like Spooner is less likely to be successful in that situation (although I think Knight could handle it just fine). We actually agree to an extent - I dont' mind locking down the 4th line as, to me, it's really a line that Claude relies heavily on in crucial situations to bring some energy to the game without sacrificing defense (so systemically, it's important). However, I do feel like the 3rd line should be used in the same fashion that you envision the 4th line being used, to break in younger skill players.

Having said that, I really have no reason for concern since Claude and Chia have proven that they know when and how to break in a prospect.

#16 Blacken

• Paddy Tanniger the Caddy Manager

• 7582 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

@TSNBobMcKenzie:

BOS agrees to terms with Chris Kelly on four-year, $12M deal and Gregory Campbell on three-year, $4.8M deal. AAVs of $3M and $1.6M.

Good on Kelly...too much on Campbell, but not too too much.

#17 PedroSpecialK

• 16499 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

Love it. Chia rule.

#18 Spaulding Smails

• Worth a thousand words

• 2640 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

Awesome, I was scared that Kelly would be getting close to 4 mil per.

#19 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 14944 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

Awesome, I was scared that Kelly would be getting close to 4 mil per.

I'm sure he asked for it. Thinking Chia bought that potential $1mil of cap space with the 4th year.

#20 The Four Peters

• can peacefully dougie off this mortal coil

• 10740 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

Would have preferred seeing Campbell for only 2 years, but I can't get too up in arms about it. I love the Kelly deal, he's been the ideal 3rd line player for this team. Teams could do a lot worse with these 2 as the 3rd and 4th line centers.

#21 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 8936 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

Good stuff. I thought $5 million total cap hit for both of them would've been good, and Chiarelli gets them in at $4.6.

CapGeek isn't updated yet, but I believe that puts the B's at ~$65 million (including Savard) with essentially a full roster. If the cap is at $70.3 million, that leaves $5.3 to play with, most of which gets allocated towards Tuukka.

#22 Curtis_Lesspanic

• 512 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:59 PM

I like the Kelly deal a lot. Maybe a year too long but I'll take it. Paille and Campbell for 3 years at 2.9 million isn't awesome. Overpay for the 4th line.

#23 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18022 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:00 PM

I like the deals, as long as there is no long term NTC for either player.

I dont think Campbell gets a NTC at all. Maybe a limited one for a year and then nothing

I would think Kelly maybe gets a NTC for a year, and then some sort of limited NTC after that.

Again, that should be worst case, hopefully neither actually got one

#24 erfus

• 1566 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

I like the deals, as long as there is no long term NTC for either player.

I am relieved the money isn't higher on Kelly and kind of surprised Campbell got that much, but it's manageable. I was afraid Kelly would get 4+ himself.

#25 TheRealness

• 8049 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

I like the Kelly deal. For the versatility he gives them, he is worth the investment. Campbell doesn't bother me, as for the Bruins he's a much better fit than someone like Dominic Moore. Solid deals for Chiarelli.

Still, I'd like to see them add a solid winger, and I'm totally cool with ending the Balls experiment. I like his bursts, so to speak, of talent... but he leaves me somewhat lacking when it comes down to it. I would much rather they try to add a more serious talent, like Doan, but I'm not sure his wife will let him leave all that sunshine.

#26 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 5817 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:35 AM

I like the Kelly deal a lot. Maybe a year too long but I'll take it. Paille and Campbell for 3 years at 2.9 million isn't awesome. Overpay for the 4th line.

2.9M out of a 70M cap is too much for 2 solid veteran players that can play the PK is too much? I think you're nitpicking here. They've got ~5% of the cap tied up on the 4th line, what else do you want? I think Chia's done a great job with the 4th line.

#27 Titoschew

• 2734 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:53 AM

2.9M out of a 70M cap is too much for 2 solid veteran players that can play the PK is too much? I think you're nitpicking here. They've got ~5% of the cap tied up on the 4th line, what else do you want? I think Chia's done a great job with the 4th line.

BUT HOW ARE WE GOING TO PAY FOR NASH?!?!?! :colbert:

#28 Toe Nash

• 2759 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

No, I agree with C_L. I don't really mind the money for Campbell and Paille, but did they need to go three years? Seems the chances that they drop off a cliff are greater than the chance either outperforms the deal. Who is offering a bigger deal for those guys?

After this year (they still have to deal with Tuukka and add a couple pieces) they'll have Marchand, Horton, Lucic and Seguin all as RFAs or UFAs. That might get pricey and I'd hate to lose any of those guys because of Paille or Campbell.

#29 Curtis_Lesspanic

• 512 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

How did Marchand break in on this team? 4th line ice time. Why not give Caron, Spooner or Knight the same crack? 1.3 million x 3 for a guy who should be a healthy scratch if they're right about their prospects? No thanks.

#30 The Four Peters

• 10740 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

No, I agree with C_L. I don't really mind the money for Campbell and Paille, but did they need to go three years? Seems the chances that they drop off a cliff are greater than the chance either outperforms the deal. Who is offering a bigger deal for those guys?

After this year (they still have to deal with Tuukka and add a couple pieces) they'll have Marchand, Horton, Lucic and Seguin all as RFAs or UFAs. That might get pricey and I'd hate to lose any of those guys because of Paille or Campbell.

Neither Paille or Campbell's AAV of under $2M will prevent them from re-signing any of the guys you mentioned, unless the cap drops by 10-15 million in the future. They are both 28 years old with plenty of experience in the league, I'd say the chances of them dropping off a cliff are pretty much zero. Worst case, they can always be waived or traded if they are not performing, but at this point they are what they are and are being paid appropriately for how they fit into the Bruins roster and philosophy.

Sure, in a dream world I'd love for them to perpetually play on a one year deal, but I'm ok with an extra year since I don't see any risk of them having seriously diminished skills in that 3rd year.

#31 The Four Peters

• 10740 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

How did Marchand break in on this team? 4th line ice time. Why not give Caron, Spooner or Knight the same crack? 1.3 million x 3 for a guy who should be a healthy scratch if they're right about their prospects? No thanks.

Why are you asking him a question he already answered earlier in the thread?

#32 PedroSpecialK

• 16499 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

The good part about the Paille and Campbell signings is that in the event that they do start putting a squeeze on the cap, they can very easily be traded or waived. I can't foresee a scenario under which one of them isn't at least snatched up - and if they aren't, they can still be buried at a relatively low cost to Jacobs.

Really is just building and keeping depth with minimal downside (if any).

Edit: LOOK AT ME I'M TFP AND I CAN TYPE QUICK

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 12 June 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#33 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 14944 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

I think Chia has done enough for us to trust that he meticulously plans for important things in the team's future.

#34 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 8936 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

These aren't albatross contracts. We're talking about less than $2 million for reliable 4th line grinders. Someone will have interest either in a trade or off waivers. If Knight or Spooner deserve a spot, the Bruins will make room. They had no problems putting Paille in the pressbox for half a season when Marchand won a job.

Also, Spooner and Knight aren't going to walk onto the NHL roster. They need time in the AHL, so they're still a year or so away.

#35 The Four Peters

• 10740 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

Also, Spooner and Knight aren't going to walk onto the NHL roster. They need time in the AHL, so they're still a year or so away.

And for those using Marchand as an example as someone who won the job from the 4th line...he also spent a full season in the AHL the year before that. I like the fact that they are going to start the year in the AHL unless they absolutely prove they belong, in which case the Bruins will make room. This is a team that plans to contend for the Cup, I doubt they want to just start handing jobs to 19-20 year olds that haven't played anything above junior yet.

Furthermore, having Knight and Spooner as your call up options when injuries hit during the year is a great option.

#36 TheRealness

• 8049 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

This is a team that plans to contend for the Cup, I doubt they want to just start handing jobs to 19-20 year olds that haven't played anything above junior yet.

Except for Dougie Hamilton. I'd like to think "rolling the dice" with the best defenseman not in the NHL is acceptable, but I'm nitpicking, and blah blah blah.

Spooner really needs AHL seasoning, if only so he can continue to add weight. I suspect Knight will adapt pretty quickly. He already plays a physical NHL style grinder game.

#37 Curtis_Lesspanic

• 512 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

Why are you asking him a question he already answered earlier in the thread?

Sorry, I needed more of a preamble.
I am assuming that they are adding a top 6 forward in this offseason & I am assuming that Horton is healthy enough to play as well.

So barring Injury, the only spot I see for youth to find a spot on the roster in on the 4th line.

#38 The Four Peters

• 10740 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

Correct, I was not including Dougie in that summary, he'll pretty much have to play his way out of the job I think. Although I do think the Bruins will sign another defenseman (or bring Mottau back) just for insurance and competition's sake.

#39 The Four Peters

• 10740 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

Sorry, I needed more of a preamble.
I am assuming that they are adding a top 6 forward in this offseason & I am assuming that Horton is healthy enough to play as well.

So barring Injury, the only spot I see for youth to find a spot on the roster in on the 4th line.

So they're getting 2 more top 6 forwards than they had last year in the playoffs, and you want to subtract from the 4th line to give a spot or two to unproven youth in when that youth probably needs time to play in the AHL?

If you're adding 2 top 6 forwards to last year's playoff team, you've got a serious Cup contender that will be perfectly well served by having this 4th line intact.

#40 Curtis_Lesspanic

• 512 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

So they're getting 2 more top 6 forwards than they had last year in the playoffs, and you want to subtract from the 4th line to give a spot or two to unproven youth in when that youth probably needs time to play in the AHL?

If you're adding 2 top 6 forwards to last year's playoff team, you've got a serious Cup contender that will be perfectly well served by having this 4th line intact.

I think a GM worth his salt can find a veteran to fill a forth line role for less $$ and years who can be swapped in and of the line up and if PC gets lucky, might just over deliver in a change of scenery.

You think Caron needs more AHL time?

#41 TheRealness

• 8049 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

I think a GM worth his salt can find a veteran to fill a forth line role for less $$ and years who can be swapped in and of the line up and if PC gets lucky, might just over deliver in a change of scenery.

You think Caron needs more AHL time?

Caron is looking more and more like your 3rd line LW right now, leaving a Kelly/Peverley/Caron 3rd line. However, I don't think he's well served skating 8-11 minutes a night on the 4th line. He needs more PT as a top 9 forward to see if he can make it in one of those spots. He is a 1st rounder, after all.

Given I expect Caron to produce more than Balls did last season, I'm fine with him on the 3rd. I'd rather have Doan or Smyth, but I doubt either of them leave their current teams.

EDIT: If Horton is healthy, I don't expect them to sign a top 6 forward, despite how much I want Parise.

Edited by TheRealness, 12 June 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#42 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 5817 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:40 AM

TFP is killing it right now.

I started quoting your posts, but realized I was agreeing with all of them, so I'll just say 'Ditto' and let you continue to teabag everyone else in this thread.

#43 The Four Peters

• 10740 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

Yeah I am envisioning Caron competing for a spot on the 3rd line as well.

As for the rest, trying to save $500k to find someone who might work out better on a line that has proven chemistry, is a (positive) known quantity, clearly enjoy playing together, and are one of the best 4th lines of the game is completely foolish and strikes me as over-tinkering to fix something that isn't broken. Neither of these deals will affect their cap flexibility one iota unless it drops by at least $15M. To be clear, $500k is less than 1% of the cap. It's effectively meaningless.

But I expect nothing less from someone who complained about roster moves when the Bruins WON THE STANLEY CUP. That tells me all I need to know, and should signify to me that I'm done with this inane debate.

FL4WL3SS, you can take it from here.

#44 The Four Peters

• 10740 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

TFP is killing it right now.

I started quoting your posts, but realized I was agreeing with all of them, so I'll just say 'Ditto' and let you continue to teabag everyone else in this thread.

I particularly enjoyed teabagging PSK, he has gentle lips.

#45 Curtis_Lesspanic

• 512 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

Caron is looking more and more like your 3rd line LW right now, leaving a Kelly/Peverley/Caron 3rd line. However, I don't think he's well served skating 8-11 minutes a night on the 4th line. He needs more PT as a top 9 forward to see if he can make it in one of those spots. He is a 1st rounder, after all.

Given I expect Caron to produce more than Balls did last season, I'm fine with him on the 3rd. I'd rather have Doan or Smyth, but I doubt either of them leave their current teams.

EDIT: If Horton is healthy, I don't expect them to sign a top 6 forward, despite how much I want Parise.

The problem with Horton is that he could be a hit away from a long absence (or worse). I think they absolutely have to add someone who can make them elite if all goes according to plan and fill in on one of the top two lines in a worst case senario. And if that happens then Caron can move up to that 3rd line spot.

#46 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4307 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

I particularly enjoyed teabagging PSK, he has gentle lips.

Huh. With all that hair, I'd've figured a Roman helmet would've been the top choice.

#47 OldSaintJohn

• swansoned his way on the site

• 732 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

The problem with Horton is that he could be a hit away from a long absence (or worse). I think they absolutely have to add someone who can make them elite if all goes according to plan and fill in on one of the top two lines in a worst case senario. And if that happens then Caron can move up to that 3rd line spot.

Any player is a hit away from a long absence or worse, and haven't there been studies that each concussion is unique and a history of multiple doesn't make you more susceptible to another?

And what's your plan for adding your so called elite top-6 forward? You do realize that it probably isn't happening on the free agent market and would cost assets like Caron?

#48 Haunted

• The Man in the Box

• 2154 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

Regarding Horton, this article seems to suggest that the team thinks he'll be ready for camp. I can't find anything more recent than that.

#49 Curtis_Lesspanic

• 512 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

Any player is a hit away from a long absence or worse, and haven't there been studies that each concussion is unique and a history of multiple doesn't make you more susceptible to another?

And what's your plan for adding your so called elite top-6 forward? You do realize that it probably isn't happening on the free agent market and would cost assets like Caron?

Did you see the Sestito hit that took him out? He barely lost his balance, wasn't stunned and certainly never lost conciousness but was done for the year. To me that is a cause for concern and a back up plan going forward.

I said adding a top 6 forward in addition to a healthy horton could make the team elite. There are free agents that could fit the bill and one or two surpises always end up popping up on the trade market.

#50 erfus

• 1566 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

Did you see the Sestito hit that took him out? He barely lost his balance, wasn't stunned and certainly never lost conciousness but was done for the year. To me that is a cause for concern and a back up plan going forward.

I said adding a top 6 forward in addition to a healthy horton could make the team elite. There are free agents that could fit the bill and one or two surpises always end up popping up on the trade market.

FWIW, Haggs was on T&R this morning and said he thought the CBA negotiations would be drawn out and eat part of the season, but somehow the cap would go up to almost 70m. I've heard the opposite from other connected people about the CBA talks, but I would not put past the Bruins that they believe the most sensible thing to do is to tie up all their existing players to preserve their known assets and then respond on the fly to the terms of a new CBA on the trade market. The UFA market is OK for forwards and it seems like they still have a bit of space to do something there with maybe one ancillary move to create cap space if they go for a bigger ticket item.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users