Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

ECFG5 - One for the road

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2217 replies to this topic

#1 Sille Skrub

• 3,970 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:03 AM

As the seconds ticked away of the Sixers series, I tweeted "C's in 6." Needless to say, I took a little heat (pun intended) on that prediction.

I've seen many Boston fans leave this team for dead many times already:

"They're too old."
"They are too banged up."
"They're done without Avery Bradley."
"Wade and LeBron are too good/too much."
"After playing all those minutes in Game 2, they are cooked."

Well, something happened on the way to the King James East Coast coronation. In the face of bad officiating, mystery technicals and a myriad of injuries, the C's have found a way to even the series at two games.

I believe in this Boston Celtics team. They show as much grit and heart as any team we've seen in town in a long while. While Miami does indeed have Wade and Bron, basketball is still a TEAM sport.

We have the better team.

Let's do this. Win today.

C's in 6.

#2 Sheets

• 547 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:20 AM

COME ON!!!!

#3 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8,434 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:05 AM

Let's have some SIX.

#4 24JoshuaPoint

• Grand Theft Duvet

• 3,424 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:58 AM

Bring the pain to the Heat. I don't think i've harbored more hate for any other team. Ever.

(null)

#5 Marbleheader

• SoSH Member

• 7,141 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:14 AM

Bring the pain to the Heat. I don't think i've harbored more hate for any other team. Ever.

2008 Lakers were worse...it made game 6 all the sweeter. I'm debating whether or not to watch tonight, I'm expecting it to be a rough night.

#6 TheoShmeo

• 8,434 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:53 AM

2008 Lakers were worse...it made game 6 all the sweeter. I'm debating whether or not to watch tonight, I'm expecting it to be a rough night.

I dunno. Kobe is despicable and the Lakers franchise is, too, of course. I lament that the Kings are about to win a cup because of the cross-over between Lakers and Kings fans.

But how is any NBA team worse than one that features both LeBron AND Wade (and Pat Riley in the wings) . I mean, just look at LeBron. Even without that hateful image on his head, his facial expression screams very bad things.

Posted Image

For a more thoughtful discussion of the douchery of LeBron, you might enjoy this:

http://bostonherald....6684&position=0

Note: Callahan warning

#7 Mahow Mahow

• 64 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

Monty McCutchen , Ron Garretson , Derrick Stafford

#8 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 12,793 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

Good news, we're not playing the Thunder tonight. Hurt the Heat.

#9 runnels3

• 408 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

Tonight we take care of business in that ridiculous arena, better known as the George Orwell Dade County Municipal Sinkhole.

#10 Marbleheader

• SoSH Member

• 7,141 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

Kobe, Phil Jackson, the douchy Euros, particularly Pau after Jerry West handed him to the Lakers, plus the second most detestable fanbase in sports. Game 6 was one long sportsgasm 20 years in the making made all the sweeter given that it was against that collection of excrement. It makes 2010 more of a travesty. I hate Lebron and Wade, but it's not even close for me.

#11 Witters

• 117 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

Let's do this. Hopefully Wade continues his trend of coming out cold so we can get off to a hot start, and that the possible reintroduction of Bosh into the lineup (?) causes some confusion for the Miami rotations.

More Ray 3's, more Rondo magnificence, more KG domination, fewer PP foul-outs. Crush them.

Kobe, Phil Jackson, the douchy Euros, particularly Pau after Jerry West handed him to the Lakers, plus the second most detestable fanbase in sports. Game 6 was one long sportsgasm 20 years in the making made all the sweeter given that it was against that collection of excrement. It makes 2010 more of a travesty. I hate Lebron and Wade, but it's not even close for me.

Don't forget Sasha.

Posted Image

#12 greek_gawd_of_walks

• SoSH Member

• 5,264 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:40 AM

Rondo reacts like this after the game:

Celts win, Celts win. What I would give to have Gorman call this game.

Edited by greek_gawd_of_walks, 05 June 2012 - 10:40 AM.

#13 JohnnyTheBone

• 4,219 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

Skrub's opening post was sixy.

Let them play.

#14 MetSox1

• 350 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

It's my birthday. I'd like a win please.

#15 Nomar813

• SoSH Member

• 6,374 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

Celts win, Celts win. What I would give to have Gorman call this game.

It's a terrible shame that the best play-by-play man in the business is on the sidelines while the ears of America are so thoroughly assaulted. I would happily listen to Richard Simmons and Tim McCarver calling the game if it meant Breen had been stuffed in a sack and tossed screaming off the White Cliffs of Dover. Destroy the Heat and send that prick back to Boston disappointed.

Commander Rondo shall lead the way.

#16 TheoShmeo

• 8,434 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

Hard to argue with any of this. Then again, it's a matter of taste, and for me this Heat team is even more despicable. The tie to Riley and the 80s Lakers teams removes any doubt I might have had.

One quick Sasha story. Last season I went to Celts-Nets in Newark. Sasha was a reserve on that Nets team. I was sitting in Wyc-like seats under one of the baskets. Every time Sasha was near our end I bellowed "Sasha, you're not good, Sasha." Exactly those words, and very loud every time. At a break in the action he looked over at me and sort of laughed. The best part is that he went scoreless that night and clanged a bunch of shots. Now, let's be clear, Sasha blows, so taking credit for the result would be a reach. Still, it was a lot of fun. Less fun was the fact that the Cs lost the game and all of the Nets fans who were less amused at my heckling kind of hated my guts and let me have it on the way out.

#17 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 23,481 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

They have to go home to New Jersey though.

#18 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5,416 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:26 PM

Monty McCutchen , Ron Garretson , Derrick Stafford

Well ... this should be interesting.

Based on this year's "Home Team Winning Percentage"

Monty McCutchen -- #3 (Season overall)/Tied for #1 (Playoffs)
Ron Garretson -- #5 (Season overall)/Tied for #1 (Playoffs)
Derrick Stafford -- #6 (Season overall)/#4 (Playoff)

If you limit the above to referees who worked more than 15 games the season rankings go to 1, 3 and 4.

Edited by Dave Stapleton, 05 June 2012 - 12:28 PM.

#19 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 23,001 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

It's a terrible shame that the best play-by-play man in the business is on the sidelines while the ears of America are so thoroughly assaulted. I would happily listen to Richard Simmons and Tim McCarver calling the game if it meant Breen had been stuffed in a sack and tossed screaming off the White Cliffs of Dover. Destroy the Heat and send that prick back to Boston disappointed.

Commander Rondo shall lead the way.

Or even throw him off the old General Sullivan Bridge in Dover NH. It's not extremely high but there are currents under it that would give a shark problems.

#20 Carmine Hose

• 3,520 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

You didn't even need to post the home team ref stats and I could've guessed they'd all be in the top 10 before they were announced.

#21 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 46,246 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

There are, what, 60-70 refs in the NBA? And, with significant sample size, the ones ranked 1, 3, and 4 all happen to be in tonight's game.

Of course, Stern has absolutely no idea about these rankings, and to suggest otherwise would be completely ludicrous!

#22 Cerebus the Batboy

• 29 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

It's a terrible shame that the best play-by-play man in the business is on the sidelines while the ears of America are so thoroughly assaulted.

So true. I have muted the TV since the second half of game 2 and have no regrets. If technology ever lets viewers silence the announcers while keeping the in-game sounds, dorks like Breen are in for a rude surprise.

#23 TheoShmeo

• 8,434 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

If you limit the above to referees who worked more than 15 games the season rankings go to 1, 3 and 4.

It's as if Stern wants some enterprising author to write an article and expose him for the phoney baloney that he is.

It's also as if he tries to one-up himself each time.

"Let's see if those lemmings figure it out this time! They let us skate on Bill Kennedy doing a Celtics game, again. We can do better."

Such giant balls.

I mean, I know I look at the basketball world with green colored glasses, but how could anyone read the information in this post without knowing exactly what that sniveling little shit intended?

#24 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 23,001 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

So true. I have muted the TV since the second half of game 2 and have no regrets. If technology ever lets viewers silence the announcers while keeping the in-game sounds, dorks like Breen are in for a rude surprise.

There was a thread, or a pretty lengthy discussion on that subject on SOSH once. Sound engineers would need to identify, classify and then filter out the frequencies of voices vs. crowd, whistle, horn sounds, etc.. Of course, there would be some overlap, or duplication between Breen's voice and the sounds you want to hear. In other words, it wouldn't be perfect and would take a lot of field testing but, damn, that would be cool.

#25 Nomar813

• SoSH Member

• 6,374 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

There was a thread, or a pretty lengthy discussion on that subject on SOSH once. Sound engineers would need to identify, classify and then filter out the frequencies of voices vs. crowd, whistle, horn sounds, etc.. Of course, there would be some overlap, or duplication between Breen's voice and the sounds you want to hear. In other words, it wouldn't be perfect and would take a lot of field testing but, damn, that would be cool.

I kind of feel like if there's something that sounds like Breen's voice, it too should be permanently silenced.

Those ref assignments beg for the ad. The NBA: Where hoping it's only incompetence happens.

#26 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 46,246 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

I'm looking at these stats now

Hmmm, what website are you getting this from and what's the same, the regular season?

Using the regular season and above 15 games, I have them as:

Monty McCutchen: T-5

Derek Stafford: T-9

Ron Garretson: 12

http://www.nbastuffe...eree_Stats.html

Still, out of 70 or so refs, that's awful.

Did Kenny Mauer get fired this year? One game?

And out of the main refs, they are 2, 3 and 5 out of around 30.

Rodney Mott's home teams were 12-1 in 13 games, lol.

Edited by Ed Hillel, 05 June 2012 - 01:39 PM.

#27 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 14,180 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

How have the gambling lines moved thus far today?

#28 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5,416 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

I'm looking at these stats now

Hmmm, what website are you getting this from and what's the same, the regular season?

And out of the main refs, they are 2, 3 and 5 out of around 30.

Yeah ... I sorted by "Main" to get rid of the "Crew" stats and got rid of the guys who only officated a handful of games or less.

No less impactful.

#29 The Social Chair

• 927 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

For a more thoughtful discussion of the douchery of LeBron, you might enjoy this:

http://bostonherald....6684&position=0

Note: Callahan warning

This isn't thoughtful or interesting. It's an easy, overexposed narrative. His opening paragraph shows he's out of his depth when it comes to NBA writing because even a casual NBA fan would know this is a top 5 playoff game winner in the last 7 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZiLLom4eTo

ANYWAY, Go C's. Prove everybody wrong one more time...get a road W.

#30 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 23,481 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

It's not even this difficult. Mic the crowd (which I'm sure it already is) and have it on separate channels from the announcers.

Offer up two feeds.

It's that easy.

#31 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 23,481 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

How have the gambling lines moved thus far today?

Haven't, really. Stayed strong at Miami -8.

#32 I am an Idiot

• "Duke"

• 3,673 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:34 PM

"They're too old."

Posted Image

Anythinnnnnnnnnngs possibllllllllllllllllle.

I believe in the Power of Skrub.

#33 geoffm33

• 32 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

It's not even this difficult. Mic the crowd (which I'm sure it already is) and have it on separate channels from the announcers.

Offer up two feeds.

It's that easy.

Does anyone have MLB.tv subscription (I don't, so can't comment)? But don't they have a PARK sound option? Is that just filler/ambient ballpark noises or the real stadium sounds live?

http://mlb.mlb.com/m...VREDIRECT#audio

#34 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 23,001 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

Offer up two feeds.

It's that easy.

Nice. Then, the networks can compare the ratings between with and w/o announcers and decide who to keep and who to fire.

#35 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10,748 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

Through four games, the Celtics and Heat have combined for an average of 49.75 fouls per game.

#36 TheGazelle

• 326 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

Does anyone have MLB.tv subscription (I don't, so can't comment)? But don't they have a PARK sound option? Is that just filler/ambient ballpark noises or the real stadium sounds live?

http://mlb.mlb.com/m...VREDIRECT#audio

It's the bold, and it's awesome.

#37 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 13,086 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

I just want one damn game in Miami where I don't feel physically violated by the refs. If the Celtics don't win, fine, but don't give me this 4 technical foul or 47 FT bullshit.

#38 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 22,543 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

-8 MIA? Yeesh.

#39 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 12,793 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

I just want one damn game in Miami where I don't feel physically violated by MULTIPLE BREENGASMS

#40 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 22,543 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:33 PM

'JAMES.....LAAAYS IT INNNN!'

'Chalmerssss....BANG'

'Dooling to the basket....BLOCKED BY ANTHONY, and here come the Heat....OHHHHHHHH WADE SLAMS IT HOME!!!'

#41 Stu Nahan

• 3,911 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

Just give the C's a fair whistle and they can beat these assholes. Skrub will lead the way.

#42 MJM2344

• 1,012 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

Beat these cunts.

#43 RGREELEY33

• 1,446 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

Execute the offense. No easy buckets allowed. Ignore the refs. Angry Rondo needs to show up.

#44 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 18,581 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

Beat them, beat the refs, beat Stern, beat the world.

Rondo World Order.

#45 AimingForYoko

• SoSH Member

• 14,335 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

Beat them, beat the refs, beat Stern, beat the world.

Rondo World Order.

Word.

#46 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:38 PM

One quick Sasha story. Last season I went to Celts-Nets in Newark. Sasha was a reserve on that Nets team. I was sitting in Wyc-like seats under one of the baskets.

Did the firm's Nets-fan clients go 0-13 again?

j/k

de-Hubrify the Heat.

#47 AimingForYoko

• SoSH Member

• 14,335 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:43 PM

Rondo World Order.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fuck em up. Let's do this.

Edited by AimingForYoko, 05 June 2012 - 05:43 PM.

#48 Marbleheader

• SoSH Member

• 7,141 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

Chris Bosh's masseuse collapses and dies at his home after attending to his abdominal strain. http://www.usatoday....dies/55404570/1

#49 Nomar813

• SoSH Member

• 6,374 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

Posted Image

#50 Statman

• 597 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

Finish them Rondo!

Posted Image