Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2012 MLB Draft Gameday

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
561 replies to this topic

#551 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38286 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

Mariners take Mike Yastrzemski (Vanderbilt OF), Yaz's grandson, in the 30th round (#911 overall)

#552 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 18017 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

Russell Wilson for NC State did this a few years ago. Here are the rules he must abide by to maintain eligibility:

Jeff Samardzja played a season at Notre Dame after being drafted.

#553 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17356 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

Congrats to Cuzittt (aka Brandon Magee) on being taken in the 23rd round today by the Red Sox.

I look forward to signing and will see you all in Fort Myers.

#554 danny partridge

• 655 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

Below slot?

#555 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17356 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

Below slot?

Below Slot won't help the Sox... I'll take my $100K and be very happy though.

#556 finnVT

• 1081 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

The fact that he would be a Professional BASEBALL player does not impact his status as an Amateur FOOTBALL player. There have been many players who have played professional baseball and another college sport at the same time.

Danny Ainge played at the Major League Level with the Toronto Blue Jays while playing Basketball at BYU.
Scott Burrell played in the Minor Leagues for Toronto while playing Basketball at UConn.

I am sure there are more recent examples of players who either played two sports at the same time or retained amateur eligibility and exited baseball to play in college.

This is, I think, specified by (college) league. Chris Young was a standout basketball player for Princeton, but had to quit the team after his sophomore season after signing with the Pirates, even though he stuck around afterwards, because the Ivy league didn't let athletes participate in any sport if they were a pro in any other sport.

#557 pjr

• 454 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

Sox just drafted Pat Delano RHP from Braintree High School.

Edited by pjr, 06 June 2012 - 03:32 PM.

#558 OttoC

• SoSH Member

• 7388 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

Isn't there also a factor of the baseball contract that limits what players may or may not do with regard to potential injury. i.e., certain sports are prohibited?

#559 The Best Catch in 100 Years

• 722 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

But, especially recently, how do low ceiling guys project on the Red Sox teams? Guys like Wilson, Weiland, Fife, etc... simply will never be good enough to earn a spot on the big league team.

Low ceiling guys are good, even great for some systems, but not the Red Sox system.

I think Johnson (and Marrero and probably Light, dunno who exactly you're talking about here) are almost certainly a cut above Wilson, etc., with all the caveats about no one really knowing much of anything at this stage in the game, of course. I know it was a weak draft but in Johnson and Marrero we're talking about a consensus top-40 prospect (Law even had Anderson ranked 28th overall) and a consensus top-20 prospect. Also, sorry to burst your bubble but the Red Sox aren't even close to being stacked enough that they couldn't use guys like Johnson and Marrero if they hit their presumed ceilings. A slick-fielding SS who can hit and a #3/#4 in their first few years of service time are immensely valuable commodities, particularly with the more severe luxury tax penalties that are now in place. And of course, as SBF points out, college players who were thought to have low ceilings have turned into stars many times before; and if the big club actually has 4 aces, 3 #2 starters and perennial all-stars at 2B and SS in a few years, and Marrero and Johnson turn out to be "merely" solid players, I'm sure they'll have a healthy market and the Red Sox will be able to convert them into assets they can use at the MLB level.

Edited by The Best Catch in 100 Years, 06 June 2012 - 10:03 PM.

#560 Joshv02

• 1413 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:42 AM

Isn't there also a factor of the baseball contract that limits what players may or may not do with regard to potential injury. i.e., certain sports are prohibited?

The Basic Agreement's clause re other sports:

Other Sports
5.(b) The Player and the Club recognize and agree that the Player’s
participation in certain other sports may impair or destroy his ability
and skill as a baseball player. Accordingly, the Player agrees that he
will not engage in professional boxing or wrestling; and that, except
with the written consent of the Club, he will not engage in skiing, auto
racing, motorcycle racing, sky diving, or in any game or exhibition of
football, soccer, professional league basketball, ice hockey or other
sport involving a substantial risk of personal injury.

It (of course) is waiveable. So, they'll waive it. (Or he won't sign.)

#561 PaulinMyrBch

• Don't touch his dog food

• 5112 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:15 AM

Kindof late with info, but Jamie Callahan plays in my back yard and I was not paying attention. As odd as it sounds, he's at a AA school, my kids school is AAA, so he is playing nearby, I just haven't seen him play. A guy I know scouts for a evaluation service, here's what he had on recent starts.

May 5 - Rough outing, gave up 6 runs

Jamie Callahan-Senior, USC Signee, RHP: Callahan showed good velocity hitting 94 MPH on four separate occasions his velocity was the best I have seen hit. He sat 91-93 MPH mostly and got downhill with it a little bit. He did have a tendency to leave his ball up and that’s when it got hit. Callahan in the past as shown two curveballs, one a hard curveball in the upper-70’s that touches 80 and the other, a 12-to-6 curve mostly 72-75. Tonight he showed his 12-to-6 and it was 74-77 topped out at 78 MPH. His slider was more of a true slider through the first couple innings at 80-83 MPH that stayed on one plane and ran away from right handed hitters. Both pitches looked pretty good considering he made these adjustments late in the season. This was the first time Callahan looked human. It was a rough outing but I expect him to bounce back if he gets another start.

April 19 - Good outing, k'd 14.

Jamie Callahan- Senior, South Carolina Signee, RHP: Callahan looked good tonight. Still had some issues with commanding his fastball, but his off speed pitches showed good depth and velocity. Callahan’s fastball was up to 93 MPH and sat comfortably between 88-92. He had some sink on a couple fastballs at 88-89 MPH. He also got some cut on his fastball at 89 and 91. While I don’t think he throws a cutter I believe it happens when he uses a later release point. Callahan had a good curveball that had 12-to-6 nose to toes action when he stayed on top of it at 71-74 MPH. There were two forms of sliders that he threw tonight one was hard at 79-80 MPH that looked more like a hard curveball with 11-to-5 action. Really impressive pitch when he threw it for strikes. He also showed more of a true slider with hard run away from right-handed hitters at 74-76 MPH. One thing I didn’t see Callahan use tonight was his changeup. I was very impressed with Callahan tonight, I would like to see more command of his fastball, although he still controls it well enough to get high school hitters out.

#562 Dewy4PrezII

• Very Intense

• 2685 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

http://www.wbtv.com/...alk-family-says

No idea if by "in order to accept a contract offer", they just mean be drafted.

Edit: On the news video the dad says, "I'm not going to deal with the school administration versus my son signing a million dollar contract with the Red Sox."

----

http://www2.scnow.co...dra-ar-3920141/

A good friend of mine's son is a sophmore pitcher on the same team as Buttrey and he just told me Buttrey signed last night...now he may be mistaken so I emailed for clarification.