Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2012 MLB Draft Gameday

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
561 replies to this topic

#1 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,359 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

Draft begins tomorrow... so time to get the thread up.

Monday: 1st Round and Supplemental Picks (Sox pick 24th, 31st and 37th)
Tuesday: 2nd - 15th
Wednesday: 16th-40th

#2 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,359 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

Projo

The priority will be simple for the Red Sox as the June amateur draft gets under way on Monday — as it is every year.
“The key with any draft is to do more with your picks than the 29 other teams do,” Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said. “The nature of the draft is you don’t get all the players you want, and you don’t hit on every player. But our job is to do more with our picks than our competition does.”
Scouting director Amiel Sawdaye and the Red Sox still have no way of pinning down who they’ll select when their turn comes up at No. 24, No. 31 and No. 37 overall on Monday night. They might not know who they’ll take at No. 24 until they see who comes off the board at No. 23.
But it’s hard to believe they could reap more than they did in the June draft a year ago — a draft that featured one of the deepest and most talented classes in years.
A year ago, the Red Sox had four of the first 40 picks in the draft. They’d lost their assigned first-round pick in exchange for signing Carl Crawford from Tampa Bay, but they’d picked up four first-day picks as compensation for losing Adrian Beltre and Victor Martinez to free agency.
It was a fortuitous year to have extra selections. The draft class the Red Sox and the rest of Major League Baseball found themselves picking from last June was one of the most promising in recent memory. The four players the Red Sox took all were highly touted talents: Matt Barnes, Blake Swihart, Henry Owens and Jackie Bradley Jr.
Owens and Swihart, neither of whom had turned 20 when they reported to spring training, have shown flashes of talent but have endured some tough adjustments while breaking into full-season professional baseball.
Barnes and Bradley, both of whom were drafted out of college, both already look like impact players.
In his first 10 starts as a minor-league pitcher, Barnes has a 1.15 ERA and has struck out 78 hitters in 54 2/3 innings pitched. In more than 200 plate appearances for High-A Salem this season, Bradley has hit .348 with 16 doubles and a jaw-dropping .484 on-base percentage.
In depth of overall talent, only the 2005 draft class — one that featured Justin Upton, Ryan Zimmerman, Ryan Braun and Troy Tulowitzki at the top and netted the Red Sox both Jacoby Ellsbury and Clay Buchholz farther down — compares.
Nothing has happened in the year since to contradict that idea. It’s not unfathomable that both No. 2 pick Danny Hultzen (Seattle) and No. 3 pick Trevor Bauer (Arizona) could be in the major leagues by the end of this season. No. 4 pick Dylan Bundy (Baltimore) has been brought along more slowly, but he didn’t give up an earned run in 30 innings at Single-A before he was pushed to a higher level of competition.
“It was definitely something (then-general manager) Theo (Epstein) and I had talked about early on in the spring, that this might be one of the most epic pitching classes,” Sawdaye said.

Press Herald

A fifth-round draft pick out of high school usually commands around $200,000. To convince Middlebrooks to give up football and sign, Boston gave him $925,000.
Those days are over. New rules take effect for the 2012 draft, which begins Monday.
If a team wants to give nearly $1 million to a fifth-round pick, it will have to pay below scale in earlier rounds, or risk a penalty from Major League Baseball.
In MLB's newest collective bargaining agreement with the players' union, a mandatory pay system was implemented for draft picks.
MLB has assigned a value to every draft pick in the first 10 rounds. And based on a team's number of picks and its order in the draft, MLB has determined how much each team can spend in those first 10 rounds.
Boston has 12 picks in the first 10 rounds (getting two extra picks because it lost Jonathan Papelbon in free agency to the Phillies). Boston's "pool" for the first 10 rounds is $6.884 million.
By comparison, Boston spent $6.6 million before the second round last year, on four draft picks. The Red Sox spent $10 million in the first 10 rounds (and that was without signing their eighth-round pick).
Also, draft picks after the 10th round can be signed for up to $100,000 only. Anything more will count against the pool. Last year, Boston gave four players after the 10th round between $125,000 and $275,000.
"Are we going to spend less than previous years? Maybe," said Amiel Sawdaye, the amateur scouting director. "But we'll still get good players."
General Manager Ben Cherington said his team isn't handicapped.
"It's all relative to the competition," he said. "Make more out of our picks than our competition. That's the priority of every draft."
But Cherington admits the new rules make that competition a more level field for smaller-market teams.
In previous years, Boston and other big-market, big-spending teams were able to pick top players later in the draft after small-market teams avoided them because of demands for a large signing bonus.
In 2010, Anthony Ranaudo of Louisiana State may have been the best college pitcher in the draft, but he was coming back from an injury and his agent was the demanding Scott Boras. Teams stayed away until Boston picked him in the supplemental round with the 39th overall pick.
Boston eventually signed Ranaudo for $2.55 million. Only six players drafted ahead of him received more money.
Boston also drafted high school infielders Sean Coyle and Garin Cecchini in the third and fourth rounds and gave them each $1.3 million.
Big-market teams can no longer spend that much on a few picks. And drafted players can't demand over-the-top salaries. That means smaller-market teams can go after anyone.
According to Cherington, the theory with the new system is "the first player taken is the best player and on down from there it spreads the talent out more. That is the intent."

#3 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20,870 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

I'm surprised there hasn't been much discussion about the upcoming draft, especially with all the changes in the CBA. The Red Sox are one of the two teams picking three times in the first 37 (the Cardinals are the other) and have five picks in the first 120.

They pick at 24, 31, 37, 87, 118, 151, 181, 211, 241, 271, 301, 331 in the first 10 rounds.

Surprisingly, EEI of all places has a really nice break down of the new draft system.

http://m.weei.com/sp...ed-sox-draft-pr

The Sox have $6.884 million to spend on the first 10 rounds, then are limited to $100,000.00 per pick after that. They can spend an additional $344,000.00 on their first 12 picks without losing a pick in the 2013 draft, but they would be taxed at seventy-five cents per dollar for doing so.

Signability will also be a huge deal this year as picks not signed do not free up more money for other picks. If the Sox fail to sign a pick, they forfeit that money, so we're probably going to see a lot more two way stars going undrafted or dropping to the latter rounds where not signing them for 100k wouldn't really make a difference.

It's going to be really interesting seeing how teams change their approach this year, especially teams like the Red Sox who are notorious for spending big on the draft.

Draft Central at mlb.com will be covering all the action and MLB network will start with pre-draft coverage at 6pm tomorrow with the first pick at 7:00.

Edited by Snodgrass'Muff, 03 June 2012 - 11:39 AM.

#4 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

Is this a bad draft year? Seems like there has been no talk about it. No obsession over who the Sox have worked out.

I think everyone knows who Byron Buxton and Mark Appel, other than them, all I've seen is the Sox like Gavin Cecchini and Tanner Rahier but both will likely be gone by the time we pick.

#5 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,359 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

Merged Snod's thread/post into this one. If we need to have split this into multiple day threads, we can.

Will move to the Draft Forum for archival purposes after the draft finishes.

#6 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20,870 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

Missed this amidst all the gameday threads. Sorry about that.

As for the lack of discussion, I imagine the changes to the CBA have something to do with it. There will be a lot fewer surprises and I'm thinking we may see more college juniors and seniors drafted early because of the potential for losing slot money by not inking tough sign high schoolers and two way players. There has also been a lot less reports (that I've seen, at least) of top high school talent announcing that they intend to go to college as a method of posturing to up their price tag for whomever drafts them. That's probably cut into the usual amount of speculation about who might fall, who is posturing and who truly intends to go to college/play football instead.

#7 OCD SS

• SoSH Member

• 6,849 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

I think there's probably a bit of a hangover with the talent in this draft class vs. last year's, and the fact that the draft has moved up probably is dampening a bit of interest as well. The fact that the high ceiling HS talent really have a cudgel against teams that draft them will probably make the draft a bit more wild than we might anticipate, but the perceived dearth of talent gives this draft "training wheels" for dealing with the new CBA.

I think MLB is poised to see a ton of players head off to college and then eventually out of the game and into other pro sports and it will be awhile before this gets fixed in another CBA (if the owners even see it as a problem). The only loop-hole I can possibly think of is if teams basically funnel money to prospects who sign cheaply by increasing their minor league salary (and I'm not even sure if that is possible).

#8 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,359 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

Draft begins at 7 pm, carried live on MLBNetwork. MLBNetwork will also hold a preview show at 6pm.

#9 TimScribble

• 309 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

Wooo. Always enjoy the draft. Don't think Gavin makes it to the Sox. Would be great if he did. I'd like to see them get Gallo or Roache.

One thing that interests me is whether the Sox will go for DJ Davis. He's very much a Jacoby Ellsbury, Reymond Fuentes clone. I'm curious if that type of player was a Theo "thing" or does it carryover into this regime.

#10 Bigpupp

• 804 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

This is usually when I get all my posting in for the year, but will be on a plane much of the day so I'll just say:

I'm really hoping for an aggressive pick at 24, but in the end I'd be happy with (almost) anyone except Tyler Naquin.

My guess for tonight:
24: Naquin
31: Weickel, or some other prep RHP
37: Barrett Barnes

Edited by Bigpupp, 04 June 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#11 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

24. RED SOX. Boston would love a shot at Davis and Cecchini, though Toronto probably prevents that from happening. Stroman would have no business lasting this long, but if it happens the bullpen-needy Red Sox would have no business passing him up. Louisiana high school outfielder/catcher Stryker Trahan could factor in here.
Projected Pick: MARCUS STROMAN.

31. RED SOX (from Phillies for Jonathan Papelbon). Boston is looking at a lot of the same arms as New York and may prefer Weickel, Watson and Buttrey. The Red Sox could parlay their extra budget with compensation picks at Nos. 31 and 37 to pursue a higher-priced player such as Seager. They also have interest in Rahier.
Projected Pick: TANNER RAHIER.

Callis: http://ht.ly/blw0B

#12 TheGoldenGreek33

• 1,934 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

It'll be interesting to see which, if any, teams use a nepotism pick in the first 10 rounds, give him $1K and spread out their allocated budget. In a historically weak draft class, there's going to be a lot of sneaky shit going on. But, MLB brought it on themselves.

#13 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20,870 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

It'll be interesting to see which, if any, teams use a nepotism pick in the first 10 rounds, give him $1K and spread out their allocated budget. In a historically weak draft class, there's going to be a lot of sneaky shit going on. But, MLB brought it on themselves.

According to this link, that's prohibited by the new CBA.

Let’s say that an elite talent in the draft falls to the Red Sox with their first pick this year at No. 24. Couldn’t the team simply give its entire bonus pool of $6.884 million to that player in an attempt to sign him?
Simple answer is no. If a team doesn’t sign a pick in the top 10 rounds, it “forfeits” that slot in its bonus pool. So, if the Red Sox do not sign their second first-round pick (No. 31 overall), their pool would be diminished by the $1.575 million slot for that pick.

I agree we're going to see some sneaky shit this year (and probably for the next few). MLB is forcing teams to take a shady approach tot he draft.

#14 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 16,735 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

I like most of the rules.

I hate the stupid assed slotting system and always have. That it is now codified just angers me. Maybe baseball should just give up on the draft all together and let Bud and his team of douchebag syncophants dole out the players to the teams they want.

#15 TheGoldenGreek33

• 1,934 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

I disagree that it's prohibited under those terms. A team would still be signing that pick way below slot, so they wouldn't forfeit that slot in their allocated budget. It's been widely talked about with teams in even the top ten picks, taking a guy that's more of a supplemental round talent and paying him below slot. I am 99% positive it's legal.

#16 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

24. Boston Red Sox ($1.75M): Gavin Cecchini, SS, Barbe HS (LA)
This is an ideal fit for Boston, as Cecchini's brother Garin is in the system, and the club has a long history with Gavin. This is another spot for Rahier, and they have interest in Piscotty as well as a number of high school arms.

31. Boston Red Sox ($1.575M): Zach Eflin, RHP, Hagerty HS (FL)
The Red Sox should have their choice of a number of high school arms, with all of the usual suspects in play. Eflin is actually a nice catch this low with size, projection and plenty of right-now velocity.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=17238

24. Boston Red Sox: Marcus Stroman, RHP, Duke
If Stroman were 6-foot-3, he'd be gone long before this spot and he still might go earlier to a team that doesn't worry about undersized right-handers. His stuff is electric and he could help a team out of the bullpen almost immediately.

31. Boston Red Sox: Stryker Trahan, C, Acadiana HS (La.)
After picking up a college pitcher (and perhaps future closer) in Stroman, the Red Sox could be aggressive with a high schooler. There are some arms, but the bat potential and athleticsm for Trahan are intriguing.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120531&content_id=32543884&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

#17 Bigpupp

• 804 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

Don't have a link, but a recent podcast I listened to (could have been Spier's) said teams had to offer at least 40% of recommended slot, so they couldn't sign their 10 rounder to a $1K contract.

(null)

#18 someoneanywhere

• 3,167 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

No way the other Cecchini falls to the Sox unless Gavin himself is telling people not to pick him. In which cash -- I started to edit that for spelling and decided not to -- the blurb should have read: "This is an ideal fit for Gavin."

Edited by someoneanywhere, 04 June 2012 - 02:01 PM.

#19 TimScribble

• 309 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

Here are SI's picks:

24: Boston Red Sox -- Chris Stratton, RHP, Mississippi State
A draft pick can't tamp down the talk show yapping and internal dissension that has plagued the BoSox since last year's collapse. Still, a strong pick may give Boston a temporary respite from the screeching. A late bloomer, Stratton has developed into one of the nation's finest Division I righties this spring.

31: Boston Red Sox -- Nick Travieso, RHP, Archbishop McCarthy HS, SW Ranches, Fla.

http://sportsillustr...p&sct=hp_t11_a0

#20 chrisfont9

• 1,537 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

A draft pick can't tamp down the talk show yapping and internal dissension that has plagued the BoSox since last year's collapse. Still, a strong pick may give Boston a temporary respite from the screeching. A late bloomer, Stratton has developed into one of the nation's finest Division I righties this spring.

http://sportsillustr...p&sct=hp_t11_a0

Apparently not, as long as Sports Illustrated is in business. Unfortunately this is about as relevant as writing "a draft pick can't cure the bursitis I am feeling in my left shoulder..." Can national baseball writers not think of anything else to discuss when it comes to the Sox? Or should we just give up and rename the team the Beer and Chickens?

#21 TheGoldenGreek33

• 1,934 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

Reasonable day one wish list:

24- Marcus Stroman, Matt Smoral, D.J. Davis
31- Tanner Rahier, Shane Watson, Stryker Trahan
37- Brian Johnson, Tyler Gonzales, Barrett Barnes

#22 danny partridge

• 655 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

Posted Image

#23 gammoseditor

• also had a stroke

• 2,773 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

I disagree that it's prohibited under those terms. A team would still be signing that pick way below slot, so they wouldn't forfeit that slot in their allocated budget. It's been widely talked about with teams in even the top ten picks, taking a guy that's more of a supplemental round talent and paying him below slot. I am 99% positive it's legal.

From everything I've read/heard what you said was right. It's legal as long as the you sign the player. So you can sign an org guy for whatever they usually sign for an use the rest on another slot. What you can't do is not sign a guy in one spot and use it in another. Which is really stupid because there's so little difference between the two scenarios.

#24 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

using someone elses draft list to make a tweet grid: http://goo.gl/Tpg3W

#25 TheGoldenGreek33

• 1,934 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

From everything I've read/heard what you said was right. It's legal as long as the you sign the player. So you can sign an org guy for whatever they usually sign for an use the rest on another slot. What you can't do is not sign a guy in one spot and use it in another. Which is really stupid because there's so little difference between the two scenarios.

Right. And the Union would throw a fit if MLB told a team, "no, you don't actually like player X, you can't sign him." They'd have zero proof. Besides which, if that's a gamble the team is willing to take by throwing away a pick in favor of signing another guy, then they should be allowed to.

#26 The_Powa_of_Seiji_Ozawa

• 4,151 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

if you're a contending ML club, or any ML club, after spending your top draft choice on Stroman, would you really throw Stroman at ML hitters a couple months after he is drafted, possibly in a pennant race?

#27 TheGoldenGreek33

• 1,934 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

Don't have a link, but a recent podcast I listened to (could have been Spier's) said teams had to offer at least 40% of recommended slot, so they couldn't sign their 10 rounder to a $1K contract.

(null)

That's only if the player fails his physical. Stems from Barret Loux two years ago.

#28 TheGoldenGreek33

• 1,934 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

if you're a contending ML club, or any ML club, after spending your top draft choice on Stroman, would you really throw Stroman at ML hitters a couple months after he is drafted, possibly in a pennant race?

I don't see a problem with it. He threw 98 innings. Next year in his first pro season, he'll throw ~120-130. If he's ready to face ML hitters (which I don't think he is, yet) and healthy, I see no issue with it.

#29 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

video: http://mlb.mlb.com/m...aftlive_app.jsp

#30 bloodysox

• 2,642 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

Not a conventional pick there

Edited by bloodysox, 04 June 2012 - 06:17 PM.

#31 Section15Box113

• 3,494 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

Wow - Correa. Surprised me right off the top.

#32 Sinistas

• 988 posts

Astros take Carlos Correa. Wow.

#33 bloodysox

• 2,642 posts

But Correa is not a bad pick at all.

#34 Jeff Van GULLY

• 2,624 posts

Appel not #1, shocking.

#35 Wingack

• Yankee Mod

• 10,479 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

Really does look like ARod out there.

#36 Frank, Fenway

• 3,508 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:25 PM

Less shocking #2, Buxton.

Edited by Frank, Fenway, 04 June 2012 - 06:25 PM.

#37 doubrontsneighbor

• 41 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:25 PM

Did I miss something? I thought i read somewhere that Houston already said they were taking Appel first.

#38 kayhovah

• 53 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

How far down does Appel fall? could create some interesting shifts on a few draft boards

#39 Frank, Fenway

• 3,508 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:30 PM

How far down does Appel fall? could create some interesting shifts on a few draft boards

Well you can assume he's not getting past Theo

#40 Frank, Fenway

• 3,508 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

Mike Zunino #3

#41 HangingW/ScottCooper

• 1,051 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

Appel could definitely drop a few more picks (expects to be wrong in a minute).

#42 Section15Box113

• 3,494 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

Zunino no surprise to SEA.

#43 Frank, Fenway

• 3,508 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

Kevin Gausman, P, #4.

Edited by Frank, Fenway, 04 June 2012 - 06:37 PM.

#44 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20,870 posts

When do we find out that Appel contracted a mild case of leprosy?

#45 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Gausman looks like a RP to me, glad they passed on Appel

#46 Frank, Fenway

• 3,508 posts

Royals probably skip Appel and go for Zimmer, right?

#47 kayhovah

• 53 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

Gausmen to the Orioles. A few more picks and the MLB cams can start getting those uncomfortable "Brady Quinn" shots of Appel

#48 Section15Box113

• 3,494 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

Like the Gausman pick.

#49 Orel Miraculous

• 1,490 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

Royals probably skip Appel and go for Zimmer, right?

Is he gonna get to the bigs before Appel? A high-ceiling pitcher that can join KC just as their young hitters are peaking is exactly what they need, and from what I read, some people think Appel will be in the big leagues by next September.

Edited by Orel Miraculous, 04 June 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#50 bloodysox

• 2,642 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:41 PM

I'm relieved the O's passed on Appel. Whew.