Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Sox holding auditions for Public Address announcer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 budcrew08

• 1,957 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

b.globe.com/JPD650

The Red Sox are holding invitation-only tryouts for the public address announcer job that was vacated after Carl Beane died in a car crash.

They also are thinking about saying the count after every pitch, which I think is obnoxious. People can follow along pitch by pitch.

#2 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,351 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

I doubt they'd announce the count after every pitch. That seems so...dumb.

Does any major league stadium do that now?

#3 kartvelo

• 3,815 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

If only the crowd could see the count somewhere at any time... perhaps on something like a "scoreboard."

#4 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,721 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

I'd do it, but I refuse to do "Little Star", on Sundays

#5 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,450 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

Correcting the link in the opening post

Lucchino went on to announce that WEEI’s Jon Meterparel, part of the D&C morning show and Boston College Eagles play-by-play man, would get a tryout at Thursday night’s Red Sox-Tigers game at Fenway.

“We are going to be auditioning a number of people. It’s a highly sought-after position, but our college of cardinals over at Fenway was considering various possibilities and we thought we should invite [Meterparel] to step up to this position and see how it goes…”

Lucchino said it would be a competition and the team would go through a list and try to determine some finalists for the position. Lucchino also said he’s been speaking to his assistant, Dr. Charles Steinberg, about an idea to have the PA announcer say the balls and strikes count after each pitch, but said since no one has done this, he would have to get permission from Major League Baseball “down the road.”

“I would be absolutely honored [to tryout] …” Meterparel said. “This is on my bucket list to do PA at Fenway for one game.”

Lucchino said the tryouts are on an invitation-only basis.

Since Beane’s passing, former Red Sox media relations staffer and current Charlestown high school teacher Henry Mahegan and former Celtics and current Boston College Eagles PA announcer Andy Jick have handled interim PA duties at Fenway.

Chad Finn killed LL on Twitter after his call-in.

@GlobeChadFinn

Lucchino has to be kidding about having the PA voice at Fenway announce balls and strikes. Cheesy.

@GlobeChadFinn

Having Meterparel follow Carl Beane at Fenway would be akin to Gilbert Gottfried replacing Jon Hamm on "Mad Men."

#6 budcrew08

• 1,957 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

Thank you for fixing the link... I was reading the article on the iPad.

#7 John Marzano Olympic Hero

• has fancy plans, and pants to match

• 15,295 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

As I said in the D&C thread, as long as Meterparel gets to tick something off his bucket list, then I am all for this! Fenway 2012: Where John Meterparel's Dreams Happen!

Seriously though, why do the Boston Red Sox feel that it's necessary to turn every twist and turn into a dragged out, public process? Just pick the person whose voice sounds the best and move on. I know that the is the RED SOX and everything is A HUGE DEAL, but really not everything is a huge deal. The Yankees replaced Bob Sheppard who had been with them since 1951 and sent out a press release. They didn't do a cattle call, and have some second-rate assclown from the second-ranked sportstation try out his pipes. They chose Paul Olden and moved on.

Christ, the purpose of going to Fenway Park is still to watch baseball, right?

And BTW, anyone who has heard Meterparel's voice knows exactly how it's going to go: terribly.

#8 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 18,349 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

They play baseball in Fenway? Someone probably should tell the Red Sox.

#9 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 14,172 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

If only the crowd could see the count somewhere at any time... perhaps on something like a "scoreboard."

Why do you hate blind people?

#10 bigyazbread

• 484 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

Lucchino said it would be a competition and the team would go through a list and try to determine some finalists for the position. Lucchino also said he’s been speaking to his assistant, Dr. Charles Steinberg, about an idea to have the PA announcer say the balls and strikes count after each pitch, but said since no one has done this, he would have to get permission from Major League Baseball “down the road.”

Good to see the Dentist back...making every little thing a travishamockery.

#11 riboflav

• 3,752 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

This doesn't seem like a very classy way to handle the sudden and tragic death of Carl Beane. You know, turning the whole thing into circus and an opportunity for more publicity and distractions outside of what actually transpires on the field.

#12 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 10,208 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

This doesn't seem like a very classy way to handle the sudden and tragic death of Carl Beane. You know, turning the whole thing into circus and an opportunity for more publicity and distractions outside of what actually transpires on the field.

The Fenway 100th Anniversary Public Address Announcer Tryouts....brought to you by JB Sash and Door! We're the Window Guys!

#13 MalzoneExpress

• Thanks, gramps.

• 692 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

The Fenway 100th Anniversary Public Address Announcer Tryouts....brought to you by JB Sash and Door! We're the Window Guys!

Don't give them any ideas. This Fenway's Got Talent shit show is making me feel dirty already. And I think the sponsor will be W.B. Mason. Who, but W.B. Mason?

#14 Red(s)HawksFan

• SoSH Member

• 5,105 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

I don't understand the hue and cry about this being a circus. It's not like they're holding an open audition for any numbnuts off the streets to come in and try his hand. They're targetting specific folks with invitations to try out. They've already been "auditioning" PA guys since Beane passed, it's just now they're admitting that these guest announcers are more or less auditioning for the full time gig. Being the PA guy at a baseball stadium is a big commitment of time. It's very possible that they won't find a full-time person to fill the job in the middle of the season because the "right" candidate has other commitments he wouldn't be able to drop on short notice to do the job. Might as well take advantage of the opportunity to sample a large variety of candidates in live action situations to see what works.

It's not unlike when NESN had to fill in for Remy a couple years ago. Ideally, they'd have just had Eck or someone jump in full time, but pretty much everyone they trotted through the booth had other commitments preventing them from joining Orsillo full time (Eck had his TBS gig, for example). Had they known in January that Remy needed replacing for a long stretch of the season, they probably could have lined up one or two full time replacements (maybe a home guy and a road guy) instead of rotating a cavalcade of folks through the booth all season.

I suppose we can debate about whether Meterperel is a good candidate or not, but I can't imagine they would run through a littany of candidates with local ties and not toss their radio partner a bone or two. Who else from WEEI fits the bill? John Ryder? Certainly not a regular daypart host like Dennis or Mutnansky or Holley, right? There's little to no chance Meter gets the gig, but for one night, what difference does it make?

#15 Eric Van

• Kid-tested, mother-approved

• 10,990 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

I think you're halfway there. Obviously, the idea behind announcing the count is to have someone sponsor each of them. Free Credit Report could do 0 and 1. Two balls, one strike could be a cup manufacturer. And so on.

#16 Toe Nash

• 3,154 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

I don't understand the hue and cry about this being a circus. It's not like they're holding an open audition for any numbnuts off the streets to come in and try his hand.

Even if they did, I don't see why it would be a big deal. The Orioles did this last offseason; you had to submit a resume and a CD or tape or whatever of you saying some things, and then they had interviews. The world didn't end.

The process of inviting certain people probably makes sense logistically since I'd think they'd want someone in there ASAP, but it's just a job like any other.

#17 riboflav

• 3,752 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

Even if they did, I don't see why it would be a big deal. The Orioles did this last offseason; you had to submit a resume and a CD or tape or whatever of you saying some things, and then they had interviews. The world didn't end.

The process of inviting certain people probably makes sense logistically since I'd think they'd want someone in there ASAP, but it's just a job like any other.

Then just freakin do it. Have your open auditions but why promote it and get all giddy over it? Meterparel is a clown and it will be treated like a circus sideshow on the radio which is exactly what the Sox brass want. I guess I prefer some professionalism and class then having to self-promote every little thing especially in wake of Beane's death.

#18 mabrowndog

• 38,450 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

Meter was in the PA booth tonight calling the game, doing a lame emulation of Sherm Feller's announcing style ("Number 12... Mike Aviles... Second Base... Aviles"). NESN pimped it during the broadcast including cutting away from Don & Jerry to hear him announce two batters.

Posted Image

Obviously contrived by the front office. I'm just hoping it's an attempt to hype NESN's morning simulcast of Dennis & Callahan rather than a shove-it-down-viewers'-throats anointment of the heir apparent. The former would be business as usual. The latter would be utter schlock.

#19 Red(s)HawksFan

• SoSH Member

• 5,105 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

I'm just hoping it's an attempt to hype NESN's morning simulcast of Dennis & Callahan rather than a shove-it-down-viewers'-throats anointment of the heir apparent. The former would be business as usual. The latter would be utter schlock.

Gotta think it's mainly promotion for D&C's simulcast. This is the 12th home game since they started using guest PA announcers. Tonight is the first time they've given more than a passing mention, if anything at all, to who is on the mike. If they give any future guest announcers the same treatment as Meter tonight, I'd bet anything they have some kind of NESN tie (like it's Dale Arnold or Jack Edwards or something).

#20 savage362

• 1,024 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:15 AM

Tonight was tough to listen to in the park. Not only did he talk so fast you could barely understand him, but he was not consistent in the way be announced each batter. He randomly switched between any combination of Position-Name-Number-Name that you could come up with. No consistency, and tough to understand.

I hope that "talent" that sat behind the mic prior to this was better.

#21 drtooth

• 2:30

• 9,194 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

I don't understand the hue and cry about this being a circus. It's not like they're holding an open audition for any numbnuts off the streets to come in and try his hand.

I think part of the issue with how this is being done is that there are a fair amount of people here that had met Carl ( very nice man) and a few actually knew him well. Another factor is that Meter is pretty much considered a total waste of oxygen and he definitely fit into the numbnuts category. To use the audition to serve as an ad for D&C on NESN is in questionable taste (at best) given how the position opened up.

#22 Guapos Toenails

• 1,852 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

I was expecting to hate him, but I have to say...he didn't suck.

I thought he was pretty good, actually. I noticed the Sherm Feller emulation...it took him a few batters to flesh it out. He gets a B+ from me...

#23 mrsbeasley

• 421 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

Tonight was tough to listen to in the park. Not only did he talk so fast you could barely understand him, but he was not consistent in the way be announced each batter. He randomly switched between any combination of Position-Name-Number-Name that you could come up with. No consistency, and tough to understand.

I hope that "talent" that sat behind the mic prior to this was better.

Dick Flavin and Andy Jick have already taken turns behind the mic. So I suppose it depends on what you consider better than Meter.

#24 Lose Remerswaal

• 22,721 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

I don't know who did last night's game, but he had an awful voice.

Big ups to the kid who announced Saltalamacchia, he got it perfect. I thought they only did "Little Star" on Sundays. Carl hated Little Star.

#25 geoflin

• 215 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

I was there last night and agree, I didn't like whoever it was. I have been to a number of recent games and the one I have liked the best so far is whoever it is who does the Bruins' games at the Garden, don't know his name. I think he was the first one after Carl Beane passed away.

#26 mabrowndog

• 38,450 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

Gordon Edes

Gotta love that @BobLobel is doing the PA at Fenway tonight. A legend who did so much for me after I came to town.

#27 biollante

• SoSH Member

• 7,856 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:00 AM

The announcer last night wasn't very good either (I don't know if it is the same person). (Wed. night v. O's). Then again, the Sox weren't too great either.

#28 Marbleheader

• SoSH Member

• 7,123 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

If they are going to have local sports personalities on,  it would be a nice summer gig for Gil Santos, or is he still ill?

#29 Corsi

• 10,208 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

The voices of Fenway Park PA in 2013. Dick Flavin, Bob Lobel and Henry Mahegan.

https://twitter.com/IanMBrowne/status/320289650394689537
link to tweet

#30 Corsi

• 10,208 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

So after all that they give the job to two former WBZ reporters, and a former Red Sox coordinator of baseball information.

#31 Jordu

• 2,029 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

The voices of Fenway Park PA in 2013. Dick Flavin, Bob Lobel and Henry Mahegan.<br />

https://twitter.com/IanMBrowne/status/320289650394689537
link to tweet<br />

<br /><br />Oh God please not Bob Lobel. On second thought, a drunk PA man may be amusing.

#32 BoSoxLady

• Rules Red Sox Nation with an Iron Fist

• 2,953 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

So after all that they give the job to two former WBZ reporters, and a former Red Sox coordinator of baseball information.<br />

<br /><br />Dick Flavin was a "humorist" for WBZ and is eminently qualified to handle PA. Lobel and Mahegan also have the pipes and personality required to handle the job.<br /><br />Have you heard any of their auditions? <br /><br />I have, at Fenway and at jetBlue Park. They're all quite good.<br /><br />Why three? Neither wanted a full-time gig.
<br /><br /><br />

#33 pjr

• 462 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

<br /><br />Oh God please not Bob Lobel. On second thought, a drunk PA man may be amusing.

He was the PA announcer at one of the games I went to at JetBlue and he was terrible. He sounded bored and confused at times.

Edited by pjr, 05 April 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#34 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16,887 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

He was the PA announcer at one of the games I went to at JetBlue and he was terrible. He sounded bored and confused at times.

Meaning he's back to his peak form at Channel 4!

Dick Flavin did the announcing today and I don't think he slipped once.  Not a great voice but not bad and good enunciation. 

#35 Lose Remerswaal

• 22,721 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

He was fine, but a couple times I could have sworn it was Castiglione announcing the players.

Thank goodness they don't still have the PA guy reading the 9 rules about enjoying your stay at Fenway Park

#36 joe dokes

• 3,182 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:48 AM

stuck this at the end of a game thread...should've been here....responding to another poster's criticisms of Lobel:

Me too and came to say much the same about Lobel.  Did you catch the starting lineup announcemnet of "Shawn" Victorino? He was reading the names slowly to avoid screwing it up, like you could imagine him silently practicing "middlebrooks" 6 times after he said "will".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users