Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Liverpool FC 2012-13: Where Luis Suarez is Always Hungry

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1177 replies to this topic

#1 SoxFanInCali

• has the rich, deep voice of a god and the penis of a scouse

• 6076 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

We need a coach. (Welcome, Brendan Rodgers)

And a Director of Football. (Maybe not?)

And some new players.

Discuss...

Edited by SoxFanInCali, 21 April 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#2 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11692 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

Hey, we have Jen Chang as Director of Communications. That's something.

#3 SoxFanInPdx

• 1659 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

This is turning into a circus, now a Redknapp rumor is spreading. That's laughable. FSG need to pull the trigger by mid-week at least imo.

#4 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11692 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:55 AM

I'd want something done quickly to start planning the 12-13 squad, but no way should they speed things up because Twitter is in a frenzy. If they could take an extra week and get Pep instead of Martinez (I'm not saying they can, just an example) the long-term payoff would be worth waiting out the braying idiots.

Edit: It looks like the Redknapp thing is driven entirely by a drop in his odds from 25-1 to 12-1 or even 9-1.

Edited by DLew On Roids, 20 May 2012 - 05:59 AM.

#5 JayMags71

• SoSH Member

• 5356 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

After they finish the business of hiring a new manager, there's a part of me that would like to see FSG get a big name (Hazard, M'Vila) from the transfer market as a statement of intent. Although the rational part of me realizes that move would be like getting a diamond-encrusted hood ornament for a car that just had it's engine seize because the previous owner forgot to change the oil.

#6 fletcherpost

• sosh's feckin' poet laureate

• 6396 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

Rednapp is a South Coast guy it would take a lot to get him to move up North. But...behind the scenes things might not be to rosey for him at Spurs. Modric might go, Bale might go...not sure how he's getting on with Levy ATM. I can understand if/why overtures might be made towards him.

Fuck knows what the future holds for Liverpool. Back in the day stability and continuity was the key to success. Seamless transitions from Manager to Manger often promoting from within. Maybe those are the old days and the old ways. Immediate success can't be expected. To just say we demand Champions League football as a minimum target for the new manager then get rid of him if it doesn't pan out...that's not going to work. Whoever they get they need to stick by him...but they need to get a guy who is worth sticking by. Martinez isn't that guy, doesn't have the stature. Somewhere there's a guy who has the talent to be the next Alex Ferguson (or something comparable) - Liverpool need to find that guy, trust him, give him time and rebuild I mean really rebuild. Maybe talk to fergie and get some advice off of him, he knows how to build teams.

#7 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11692 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

I heard Gareth Roberts from the fanzine Well Red on the Beyond The Pitch podcast this morning. He thinks FSG is implementing a Lyon model, which would have the manager, technical director, and scouting director reporting as peers to an overall managing director. That would seem to eliminate Gaffer types like Redknapp and make a Martinez appointment more likely.

One other thing Roberts mentioned that I didn't know is that the search is seen as odd in a lot of Britain because clubs don't usually ask for permission to interview sitting managers unless they've decided that they want that guy. It's a practice that's seen as unsettling the manager's current club. According to Roberts, FSG's use of this unorthodox (for Britain) method may have been a big factor in Rodgers declining an interview.

Edited by DLew On Roids, 22 May 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#8 cjdmadcow

• 1210 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

I've been away from the PC for 4 days, been in Liverpool, and I can tell you will absolute certainty that the Redknapp stories are a complete fabrication started by the London-based mouthpieces of wheeler-dealer 'arry. There is more chance of me becoming next manager. The way Harry works is to spread doubt in his current employer who then will offer him improved contract terms to stay where he is.

That is what is happening here.

#9 SoxFanInPdx

• 1659 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

I've been away from the PC for 4 days, been in Liverpool, and I can tell you will absolute certainty that the Redknapp stories are a complete fabrication started by the London-based mouthpieces of wheeler-dealer 'arry.

So, what is the hot rumor in town then? It seems that from what I'm reading on TIA and RAWK that everyone wants Rafa....I just don't see it. Nor want that to happen.

#10 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11692 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

I think it's more likely (albeit very slim anyway) that Rafa would become the operations director overseeing the first team, scouting, player development, transfers, etc. He had that level of control the last time he was there, but I don't think FSG wants that role to also be the first team coach and matchday manager. An appointment like that would give FSG continued PR cover on Merseyside and turn the football side over to one of the best minds in the game.

Edit: Looks like slim just became none: Van Gaal got the job I described.

#11 Tony the Pony

• Fork You Schpors

• 3124 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

You guys know Anne Frank de Boer said No Thanks a few days ago, right?

Edited by Tony the Pony, 22 May 2012 - 10:49 PM.

#12 fletcherpost

• 6396 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:59 AM

Yes. I think he thinks the Liverpool job is riddled with the pox.

#13 Apisith

• 1119 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:05 AM

Yeah. DLew had it right earlier on: this is a very unconventional way of appointing a manager. I don't know why, but it's just not accepted in the game. Almost every appointment that I can think of has been a direct approach for one manager. If, for whatever reason, it doesn't happen, you look to someone else. But bringing everyone in for an interview is certainly a unique way of doing it. I can see why some managers are offended by it but I also like the fact that FSG are really casting a wide net; someone like De Boer would normally not be approached given the other options available, precisely because the first or second choice would have accepted the job already. But at least they're doing their homework.

#14 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11692 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

According to ESPN Soccernet's FB page, Martinez is meeting with FSG in Miami right now. He'd been in Barbados on vacation, so Miami is probably their way of meeting him halfway.

#15 SoxFanInPdx

• 1659 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

According to ESPN Soccernet's FB page, Martinez is meeting with FSG in Miami right now. He'd been in Barbados on vacation, so Miami is probably their way of meeting him halfway.

I don't even really believe anything being said. FSG has people clueless and I'm starting to think all this is a smokescreen for something else. As much as it's driving me crazy, this has been fun. I've never seen the British press so fucking clueless about a managerial hire.

#16 fletcherpost

• 6396 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/18191006

Dave Whelan loves to stir things up.

"He had a meeting on Thursday with the owner of Liverpool in Miami," Whelan told BBC Sport. "I think they have made some kind of offer.

"They will speak again on Tuesday. I've said I want a decision by Thursday."

"I think Roberto has put his cards on the table and said 'If I'm going to Liverpool I want the following'," said the Wigan owner.

"Roberto has to run the football club from top to bottom. Without that I don't think he would go.

"I should not be saying how good Roberto is because I want to keep him. There's no question he's the best young manager in Europe."

#17 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11692 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

They're meeting again today.

Whelan is telling people that Ferg is retiring after next season, so take anything he says with a grain of fine kind Seven-Costanza herb.

Edited by DLew On Roids, 25 May 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#18 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 16813 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

I want some Seven Costanza herb

#19 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11692 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

Fabio Aurelio signs with Gremio. No word on whether he sprained his wrist in the process.

#20 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11692 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:32 PM

Posted Image

#21 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 7840 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

New manager to be revealed Friday. Any guesses?

#22 SoxFanInPdx

• 1659 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:20 AM

Rodgers is my guess. Who knows though. Honestly don't think anyone knows besides FSG...hell, not even sure that they know who they want at this point and I'm starting to worry that they will cave under fan pressure and bring Rafa back. The media in the U.K. are lost. It's a complete circus. Seems no big name wants the job.

#23 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11692 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:44 AM

Yeah, I'm thinking it's Rodgers now. I haven't read anything concrete, but I suspect we'll find out later that Martinez wanted control of transfers, while Liverpool are going with a sporting director model. Given that Liverpool looks like they want to install Cruyff's Ajax/Barcelona structure, Rodgers would be a solid fit as long as he'll work with a sporting director.

It is kind of ironic that they're looking at Van Gaal as the sporting director in that model given what's transpired at Ajax lately. Not that it'd be a poor appointment, but Van Gaal and Cruyff aren't starting a mutual appreciation society anytime soon.

Edited by DLew On Roids, 30 May 2012 - 07:46 AM.

#24 fletcherpost

• 6396 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

Rodgers it is. Three Year Deal

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/18235961

#25 thehitcat

• 609 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

I kind of hate this. I am a Reading fan, after spending a year there in the old Elm Park days, who has also rooted for the Reds for years, same year I sang them to a win from the Kop, normally the clubs don't mix so I don't have to choose.

This is all to say that I have some history with Brendan. He did a great job with the youth at Reading helping to build the first Premier League side and I was thrilled when the Royals appointed Rodgers and then viciously disappointed by the way he turfed the clubs chances last season. McDermott nearly got Reading up with the same players Rodgers couldn't win with and were it not for a bounce or two in the playoff final against Rodgers and a much more talented Swansea team Reading would have been up last season. I realize that he has had success this season with Swansea but I just don't see it translating to a larger club...I just feel like he will be overwhelmed by the moment.

All that said best of luck with him. I hope I'm proven wrong and he turns out to be the new Paisley...

#26 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11692 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

Rodgers is a name with a nice ring to it. He even spells the name correctly.

#27 LTF

• Mailboxhead

• 151 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

He's no Gordon Sewer.

#28 fletcherpost

• 6396 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

I think with Rodgers as manager there's a damn good chance Liverpool finish in sixth place next season and maybe have a couple of decent cup runs. And it'll be one touch, occasionally no touch football, from whistle to whistle. Got to wish him luck, it's a tough job. I wonder how long he'll get.

#29 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7661 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:37 AM

So when does this thread title get changed to "Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood?" I mean, how can you not change the thread title to that?

#30 SoxFanInCali

• 6076 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:14 AM

I'm still dreaming of Pep.

#31 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7661 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:25 AM

So you're becoming a Chelsea fan? ;)

#32 SoxFanInCali

• 6076 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:28 AM

We'll hire him next year after Chelsea fires him.

#33 cjdmadcow

• 1210 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

Press conference called for 10am UK time tomorrow (Friday).

Word has it that not only will Brendan Rodgers be unveiled as new manager, details regarding the long-running stadium issue will be announced including the decision that Anfield will be re-developed and there will be no move to a new stadium. Also, there may be a naming-rights announcement for Anfield as well.

#34 SoxFanInCali

• 6076 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

I think the main reason that announcements have been delayed until tomorrow is that is when the Warrior apparel deal goes into effect. Got to have everyone properly outfitted for the press conference.

#35 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11692 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

The big news from the press conference is that there won't be a sporting director. Rodgers says he wouldn't have come if they'd used that model. So maybe no Van Gaal. Also, there's no naming rights deal for Anfield, so we can keep mocking Seven (yay!).

Liverpool has agreed not to sign anyone from Swansea for a year, so no Scott Sinclair or Leon Britton. Gylfi Sigurdsson isn't signed yet, though, so he may be a possibility.

#36 brienc

• 656 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

Liverpool, having decided on Brendan Rodgers as their manager, are expected to announce within weeks they intend to stay at Anfield, not build their long-planned new stadium on Stanley Park. Under plans drawn up by Liverpool city council and revealed to local residents, houses would be demolished to enable the club to expand Anfield's main stand.

Liverpool's principal physical obstacle is not enlarging Anfield's footprint – their plan is understood to involve adding an extra tier, plus corporate facilities, to the Anfield Road and main stands. Doing so, however, would block the "right to light" of those neighbouring houses. Kitts said he believed the demolitions would "solve the right to light issues".

The plans, presented to a neighbourhood "stakeholders meeting", including the Rockfield Residents Association, all propose knocking down the row of terraces closest to the main stand, on Lothair Road. The second two options, more favoured, involve demolishing two additional rows of houses – both rows on Lothair Road, and the first on the next street, Alroy. The remaining houses are planned to be refurbished: one option suggests replacing the demolished houses with a commercial development, possibly a hotel.

http://www.guardian....field-expansion

#37 Seven Costanza

• Fred Astaire of SoSH

• 2191 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

The big news from the press conference is that there won't be a sporting director. Rodgers says he wouldn't have come if they'd used that model. So maybe no Van Gaal. Also, there's no naming rights deal for Anfield, so we can keep mocking Seven (yay!).

Liverpool has agreed not to sign anyone from Swansea for a year, so no Scott Sinclair or Leon Britton. Gylfi Sigurdsson isn't signed yet, though, so he may be a possibility.

I greatly enjoyed Sports Direct NUFC turning 35 million GBP into Demba Ba, Papiss Cisse and Yohan Cabaye. And having money to spare. And finishing 5th. :P

Edited by Seven Costanza, 01 June 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#38 SoxFanInCali

• 6076 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

And ending up in the same European competition as Liverpool.

And not winning a trophy

Posted Image

Edited by SoxFanInCali, 01 June 2012 - 12:19 PM.

#39 Seven Costanza

• Fred Astaire of SoSH

• 2191 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

The Captial One Cup? The cup that teams put their reserves out to contest?

I'll take the 13 points. On a fraction of the wage bill.

And Enrique in net at Sports Direct Park.

#40 SoxFanInCali

• 6076 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

Well, it's no Intertoto, I'll grant you that.

#41 Seven Costanza

• Fred Astaire of SoSH

• 2191 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

Respect.

In seriousness, I would personally prefer Newcastle to be in a position on the last day of the season with a chance qualify for the Champions League than finish 13 points below that and win the League Cup.

FA cup, maybe.

#42 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11692 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

Because the season after 37 matches is what matters.

Edited by DLew On Roids, 01 June 2012 - 12:55 PM.

#43 SoxFanInCali

• 6076 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

While everyone will point out that Liverpool barely beat Cardiff in the final, don't forget that the run included away wins at Man City and Chelsea, and both teams put out nearly full strength sides.

It's the cup competition with the least respect, but it does end the "Liverpool haven't won a cup in X years" talk. Ask Arsenal if they would like a chance to replay the 2011 final.

#44 sachmoney

• SoSH Member

• 7661 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

If the question was "would you prefer winning the 2011 Carling Cup as opposed to winning nothing at all," it's an easy yes. I would not trade the Champions League for the Carling Cup and 8th place. Financially, Arsenal needs the Champions League.

So my main concern is the cost of redeveloping Anfield (not from a Liverpool perspective, but a Red Sox perspective, obviously). From the article brienc linked up above, the plan suggests demolishing the terraced houses adjacent to the stadium. After some quick googling, I found that the average price of a terraced house in Liverpool is £96,950 (Comparatively, the average cost of a terraced house in Islington [where Arsenal play] is £894,706). By my count (using Google Street view), there are 20 terraced houses on Lothair Road immediately next to the stadium with an addition 2 on the North side (Anfield Road/Lothair Road). If Liverpool have to also demolish the next set of terraced houses, they will have to buy/demolish 40 more houses. If they go along with this plan, the cost to buy these homes should could out to £6.6 million (62 * average terraced house price + 10% relocation cost). I don't think this should be too bad, given the cheap real estate in Liverpool.

As far as the actual redevelopment of the stand itself, I'm not sure how much it will cost and how extensive the plans are. Chelsea spent £70 million (at least borrowed) to demolish and rebuild the West Stand at the Bridge. I don't think Liverpool plan to (or are allowed to?) demolish their stand. Manchester United spent £18.75 million when they built their three tiered North Stand. It remains to be seen how much it will cost, but it seems like it won't nearly be as financially burdensome as building a new stadium. You can see why Henry and Co decided to write off the cost of the new stadium exploration.

As far as FFP, I believe that stadium development can be written off. So uh, good news to Sox fans and good news for Liverpool.

#45 SoxFanInCali

• 6076 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

If the question was "would you prefer winning the 2011 Carling Cup as opposed to winning nothing at all," it's an easy yes. I would not trade the Champions League for the Carling Cup and 8th place. Financially, Arsenal needs the Champions League.

Liverpool fans would have traded the cup for Champions League, too. But comparing Liverpool's situation to Newcastle's, they both are in the Europa League, the Geordies got a bit more money for the higher league finish, but Liverpool got the trophy. I'm sure you are as sick of hearing about Arsenal's trophy drought as I was about Liverpool's, so given that I don't have to hear it anymore, I wouldn't trade Liverpool's trophy for Newcastle's 5th place. I would for 3rd place, but not for 5th.

#46 Seven Costanza

• Fred Astaire of SoSH

• 2191 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

Other than the aforementioned worthless Intertoto cup, Newcastle hasn't won shit since the 50's. That being said, this season was about earning respect and punching well above their weight. I don't think a Carling Cup victory really would have done that for the Toon if they finished the season mid table or worse. Christ, look at Portsmouth.

Here's the 64k question- will Liverpool finish higher in the table than Newcastle next year?

#47 SoxFanInCali

• 6076 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

A round of beers at the 2013 bash says they will.

It will be interesting to see. It was a great season for Newcastle when there were no expectations. Now we'll see if they can build on it or slide back to the pack. Pardew also has a history of starting out well with a new club, then having issues and getting fired within a couple of years.

Plus, for as well as Newcastle played and as poor as Liverpool were most of the season, the Reds finished with a better goal differential.

#48 Seven Costanza

• Fred Astaire of SoSH

• 2191 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

All extremely valid points.

And I'll take that bet. ;)

#49 SoxFanInCali

• 6076 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

Good to see you showing some confidence in your squad. If I remember correctly, at last year's bash I said Newcastle would be a solid top-half-of-the-table team, while you were just hoping they wouldn't get relegated.

#50 fletcherpost

• 6396 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

Kuyt off to Fenerbahce - 3 year deal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/18316612

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users