Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

76ers at Celtics: Game 2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
747 replies to this topic

#701 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

Brandon Bass took the most shots tonight, 15.

Rondo did not attempt a single FT -- time to go the basket buddy.

#702 fairlee76

• 1474 posts

Tough time to call it, but holy shit that was an obvious moving screen. As others have said, this team is not good enough to win when they shit the bed for two quarters.

#703 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 41495 posts

This team hates putting together good possessions with late leads. Fucking costs them again and again and again.

As good as Rondo is, and as much energy as he puts in at times, he spends way too much time playing lazy. I think it's his arrogance that he thinks he can just do it at the end of every game over and over to make up for it.

#704 BoSoxFink

• Stripes

• 4732 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

You would be saying this if they had won both games by 200 points each.

I'm not the same with the Celts as I am with the Bruins as I'm not as big of a fan.

But the way thr Celts have played in this series, they PROBABLY should be down 2-0

#705 JohnnyTheBone

• 3826 posts

Not blaming the loss on the officials, either. Doc was terrible, and the C's are really banged-up and disjointed. I'm just talking about poor, poor officiating.

#706 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15211 posts

Except you know in Game 1

When they were up by three and a gimpy Pierce ISO was the call to try to put the game away? That game one?

#707 Ed Hillel

• 41495 posts

That non-call on the EPIC TRAVEL then you call that pick on KG in the last minute which you've been permitting all game long, how? Just HOW?

It was a double epic travel, too. He started and ended the possession with 4 steps.

#708 lars10

• 1944 posts

When do you start Pierce at the 4? You can not keep playing Brandon Bass.

At what point are people going to realize that Bass actually made some jumpers..as opposed to Allen and Pierce who were killing them all night? Bass didn't have a great game...but this shouldn't all fall on him.

#709 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21363 posts

As others have said, this team is not good enough to win when they shit the bed for two quarters.

This is just flat-out wrong.

#710 Nomar813

• SoSH Member

• 6209 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

Celts maybe in trouble in this series

Don't even think about saying you think the Bulls would be a better matchup. I know that's exactly what you're thinking. Ottawa isn't walking through that door.

#711 Ed Hillel

• 41495 posts

Not blaming the loss on the officials, either. Doc was terrible, and the C's are really banged-up and disjointed. I'm just talking about poor, poor officiating.

Doc's call for a foul was unbelievably stupid. What was he thinking?

#712 JakeRae

• SoSH Member

• 5277 posts

Rondo's problem isn't getting into the lane. Rondo's problem is that he cannot fucking score at the rim

You don't think them needing to respect Bass' shot again keeps the bigs out of the lane and makes it so that Rondo can score at the rim?

#713 PedroKsBambino

• SoSH Member

• 14161 posts

That non-call on the EPIC TRAVEL then you call that pick on KG in the last minute which you've been permitting all game long, how? Just HOW?

The problem is that it's not even a foul, though. There simply wasn't contact to merit one. That guys were getting away with actual fouls all game long is only secondary. If he had made good contact there it'd be a foul---didn't happen, and not even a super-technical read of the rules will get you to a foul for trying to make contact.

#714 scottyno

• 2851 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:33 PM

At what point are people going to realize that Bass actually made some jumpers..as opposed to Allen and Pierce who were killing them all night? Bass didn't have a great game...but this shouldn't all fall on him.

allen had a much better game than bass did, anyone is going to make a few jumpers when they get 15 shots, the majority of them wide open from 15 feet

#715 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11321 posts

Just split in Philly and get back to Boston.

#716 lars10

• 1944 posts

The C's had already choked it away a bit, and it shouldn't have come to that last play, but holy shit is that some fucking bullshit.

C's had approximately six points taken away from them...and Philly got about 4-6... that travel and a few fouls that were fouls..but weren't on the other end.

As horrible as the celts played..they still should have won by 8 or so if this game had been called consistent.

#717 bball831

• 4498 posts

What? 5-15 and that's after making his first 2.

Allen was 7-14 -- wished he'd kill us more. PP gets a tad more leeway than Bass.

#718 BoSoxFink

• Stripes

• 4732 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

Don't even think about saying you think the Bulls would be a better matchup. I know that's exactly what you're thinking. Ottawa isn't walking through that door.

Haha as I said this isn't the Bruins for me. I'm more practical when it comes to the Celtics. The Sixers are a better matchup than Chicago for them. However they have looked awful in the first two games of this series. So I'm a little more worried about this matchup then I was when it first started

#719 eddiew112

• 990 posts

You don't think them needing to respect Bass' shot again keeps the bigs out of the lane and makes it so that Rondo can score at the rim?

Rondo had numerous opportunites to attack the rim once he got into the paint and instead he either threw up flip shots or jumped behind the basket and passed it out. If its him 1 v 1 against a big man that has to be better

#720 eddiew112

• 990 posts

When they were up by three and a gimpy Pierce ISO was the call to try to put the game away? That game one?

No I was talking about the great plays that had made in the last 3 minutes to build that lead

#721 JohnnyTheBone

• 3826 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

Where hoping it's only incompetence happens.

#722 fairlee76

• 1474 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

This is just flat-out wrong.

Ok, point out a game where they scored 24 points (or whatever it was) over two quarters and won.

#723 lars10

• 1944 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

allen had a much better game than bass did, anyone is going to make a few jumpers when they get 15 shots, the majority of them wide open from 15 feet

Allen 7-14; 2-6 from 3; 1-2 FT...; -6
Pierce 2-9; 1-4; 2-2; -3
Bass 5-15; 2-2 FT; 0

But yeah..Allen had a much better game.

#724 Boston Brawler

• 4483 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

But the way thr Celts have played in this series, they PROBABLY should be down 2-0

That could be said about either team though. So what's your point?

#725 AimingForYoko

• SoSH Member

• 13956 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

Word.

#726 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15211 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

No I was talking about the great plays that had made in the last 3 minutes to build that lead

I know...just pissed at that truly bullshit possession tonight, which was the most important of the game. A whole lot of those great plays are as simple as KG setting a pick and ending up wide open from 20 feet. Watching Pierce and Ray failing to get open off screens while Rondo settles for a fadeaway is maddening. When they can get open it looks brilliant but they're both hurt and Ray has struggled to find space all season. When those plays don't develop it kills their offense, and they couldn't afford it at that point. Feed KG and profit.

#727 Sheets

• 547 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

nm

Edit- sorry, I'm just so pissed.

Edited by Sheets, 14 May 2012 - 08:42 PM.

#728 PedroKsBambino

• SoSH Member

• 14161 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

Yeah, there's no defending the timing of that foul call, or the Rondo jumper. A shame for this team to let a game get away, or let it get to where a blown call matters. They only have so many games in them.

#729 Boston Brawler

• 4483 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

I don't think anyone will pin it all on him, but he finished 2-11 after starting 3-4 (and that was in the first 8ish minutes)

#730 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18097 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

The problem is that it's not even a foul, though. There simply wasn't contact to merit one. That guys were getting away with actual fouls all game long is only secondary. If he had made good contact there it'd be a foul---didn't happen, and not even a super-technical read of the rules will get you to a foul for trying to make contact.

How is it not a foul. He basically snow plowed a guard out of the way allowing the player he was covering to come wide open for a 3 point attempt. It was a game changing play made illegally by Garnett.

Honestly if you want to complain about bad officiating, complain that they let garnett get away with murder on the court without making the call for 47+ minutes. If the league actually did the right thing and called him on it 2-3 times in the first half then maybe he wouldn' commit such a blatant foul in that situation

#731 genoasalami

• 565 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

They were 39-27 in the regular season. Take a deep breath. The series was going six or seven games from the get go. It is what it is.

#732 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

Allen 7-14; 2-6 from 3; 1-2 FT...; -6
Pierce 2-9; 1-4; 2-2; -3
Bass 5-15; 2-2 FT; 0

But yeah..Allen had a much better game.

You're not serious are you? One guy shot 50% from the field, the other shot 33% -- are you really citing 1 miss FT and +/- stat?

#733 eddiew112

• 990 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

I know...just pissed at that truly bullshit possession tonight, which was the most important of the game. A whole lot of those great plays are as simple as KG setting a pick and ending up wide open from 20 feet. Watching Pierce and Ray failing to get open off screens while Rondo settles for a fadeaway is maddening. When they can get open it looks brilliant but they're both hurt and Ray has struggled to find space all season. When those plays don't develop it kills their offense, and they couldn't afford it at that point. Feed KG and profit.

I'm with you on that. When the Celtics keep it simple they execute very well. It helps if their floor general decides he wants to check in for an important play

#734 lars10

• 1944 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

You're not serious are you? One guy shot 50% from the field, the other shot 33% -- are you really citing 1 miss FT and +/- stat?

Allen made 2 more shots with 1 fewer attempt...it's not like there was a hell of a difference..
I'll say he shot 'better'..but all three had shit games and Bass is the only one getting called out.

#735 RetractableRoof

• 775 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

How is it not a foul. He basically snow plowed a guard out of the way allowing the player he was covering to come wide open for a 3 point attempt. It was a game changing play made illegally by Garnett.

Honestly if you want to complain about bad officiating, complain that they let garnett get away with murder on the court without making the call for 47+ minutes. If the league actually did the right thing and called him on it 2-3 times in the first half then maybe he wouldn' commit such a blatant foul in that situation

When Garnett goes up for a jump shot and the defender is pulling him back down by his jersey and there is no call... AND when that moving pick isn't called for 46ish minutes for EITHER team... I'm thinking that calling it in the last minute or so is screwed up officiating that cost the Celtics in that they as veterans rightly played to what had been allowed to that point. The rule book was ignored for about 315 calls/non-calls by this pathetic officiating tonight... to then break it out on a critical possession is beyond defense.

#736 PedroKsBambino

• SoSH Member

• 14161 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

That is simply not what happened on the play at all. Or even close, frankly.

I have no problem with Garnett getting called for those when he does it too aggressively; he sets a lot of tough screens. This is just not one of those times.

Watch this replay and tell me you're confident about that description:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Eg99HojYA

C'mon. It's not clear there's even contact with the hand, much less the body.

Edited by PedroKsBambino, 14 May 2012 - 09:01 PM.

#737 bball831

• 4498 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

Still took a fade away bank shot with the shot clock running out and a should be travel into a bucket to beat the C's -- got to take 1 in Philly now. Would love for them to start hitting some more open jumpers so the pressure isn't so high at the end of the game.

#738 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8150 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

C'mon. It's not clear there's even contact with the hand, much less the body.

Except the 76ers player bouncing off him.

#739 PedroKsBambino

• SoSH Member

• 14161 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:43 PM

I took the call to be on the first guy coming around. If it was from the second guy, there is certainly contact there agreed. It's a hold and then Garnett took him out....tough combo. But if that's what the call was, it's certainly better than I took it live on the first guy.

#740 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5644 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

Still took a fade away bank shot with the shot clock running out and a should be travel into a bucket to beat the C's -- got to take 1 in Philly now. Would love for them to start hitting some more open jumpers so the pressure isn't so high at the end of the game.

Of course, given the way the first 2 went, I'm not THAT confident they can take 1 in Philly. The gimpyness seems to be adding up.

#741 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6585 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:11 PM

Allen made 2 more shots with 1 fewer attempt...it's not like there was a hell of a difference..
I'll say he shot 'better'..but all three had shit games and Bass is the only one getting called out.

And one guy plays the 4 where a higher shooting % is expected. Making 2 more on 1 less shot is the difference between a hall
of famer and a reserve.

#742 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15704 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

Regardless of what happened at the end of the game, they should be disgusted with how they played tonight. There were too many wasted possessions on offense. Doc can't allow Brandon Bass to take as many shots as he did. They obviously wanted to get his shot going, but needed to go away from him when they saw he was struggling. When you give up 82 points in a playoff game and you lose, it's a disgrace. They better have more ball movement on Wednesday.

#743 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21363 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

Ok, point out a game where they scored 24 points (or whatever it was) over two quarters and won.

And there it is. The folks at home may have not seen the sidestep, but I assure you it happened.

#744 knucklecup

• hi, I'm a cuckold

• 4114 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

Regardless of what happened at the end of the game, they should be disgusted with how they played tonight. There were too many wasted possessions on offense. Doc can't allow Brandon Bass to take as many shots as he did. They obviously wanted to get his shot going, but needed to go away from him when they saw he was struggling. When you give up 82 points in a playoff game and you lose, it's a disgrace. They better have more ball movement on Wednesday.

This.

#745 Sheets

• 547 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:46 AM

The problem isn't "allowing" him to take the shots, it's that Bass was taking wide open shots and clanking them all. He's gotta either hit some of those 15 footers when no one is around him or he's gotta put the ball on the floor, drive to the basket, and make something happen. Unfortunately, that's not really his game.

#746 fairlee76

• 1474 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:03 AM

And there it is. The folks at home may have not seen the sidestep, but I assure you it happened.

You win, Mr. Magician. I guess being literal could be misconstrued as sidestepping.

#747 Zososoxfan

• 1453 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

The problem isn't "allowing" him to take the shots, it's that Bass was taking wide open shots and clanking them all. He's gotta either hit some of those 15 footers when no one is around him or he's gotta put the ball on the floor, drive to the basket, and make something happen. Unfortunately, that's not really his game.

Agreed, though this isn't all on Bass. Bottom line is that the Celts shot 9 FTs to Philly's 21. When last night's starting 5 is on the floor, the entire frontcourt are shooters and hitting midrange jumpers is crucial to keep the lane clear for Rondo and Bradley to work. At first, this was working beautifully and Bass started out hot. I don't know if the 6ers made an adjustment after that, but the entire team went pretty cold after, with Bass sticking out more than most (to me at least). If his jumper isn't falling, which it clearly wasn't after missing 4 shots (3 in the paint) in the 2nd, he either needs to be told to drive or play less minutes.

A couple of other quick observations, Rondo didn't finish like he usually does and he also missed 4 shots in the paint (although that was over the course of the game). Again, you can blame this on bad shooting and clogging the lane, but facts are facts. Last night was begging for PP at the 4 to get Pietrus more minutes. Granted MP isn't the best offensive player, but he was 3/5 from the field and 2/3 from 3 last night in 12 minutes. PP was getting burned by Iggy and MP's best attribute is his D. Give Pierce a break and have him run around less by having him space the floor as a 4. Lastly and this is probably crazy, but I would've liked to have seen a few minutes for Quisey last night, when everything else was shite. Yes, he would've likely bungled things even more, but really, why the eff not? See if he has a hot hand.

#748 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15704 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

They were running plays specifically so Bass would get shots early. His confidence has to be way down considering he is not shooting well in the playoffs, so I understand why Doc would do that early because Philly's gameplan has been to leave him open. Him hitting those shots would force Philly to come out and guard him which would open up the middle more for KG. But, after 5 or 6 shots if he's not hitting them it's time to go to plan B.