Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Nava up; Mortensen down

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 9,986 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

The Red Sox have listed outfielder Daniel Nava in their game notes, suggesting that the 29-year-old will be called up to add outfield depth for Thursday's game against the Indians. After a slow start, Nava has been among the hottest hitters in Triple-A over roughly the past three weeks.

In his last 16 games, he leads the International League with a .429 average, ranks second with a .484 OBP, third with a .696 slugging mark and third with a 1.181 OPS. In that span, he is 24-for-56 with two homers, seven doubles and a triple.

Right-hander Clayton Mortensen, who has allowed just one run in 9 1/3 innings spanning three appearances while striking out 12 and walking none, would appear to be the counter-move, getting optioned to Triple-A. That would create a need for a roster move to open a spot on the 40-man roster.

http://www.weei.com/...r-set-call-nava

#2 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23,505 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

Umm, I'm completely baffled. Why are they demoting the hottest hand in the pen?

#3 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 11,164 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

Option casualty, unfortunately. I would like to see what he could do over 30 innings at this level.

Edited by Dogman2, 10 May 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#4 glennhoffmania

• likes the tomahawk chop

• 8,384,258 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

Why do they need Nava? Are they preparing him to pitch the 17th inning tonight?

#5 MyDaughterLovesTomGordon

• 4,171 posts

This makes no sense to me. Yes, I think a 13-man pen is overkill, and, yes, I think having more flexibility on the bench is a good thing, and, yes, I get that there are only so many pitchers with options out there in the pen, but Mortensen's k/bb ratio is currently infinite, and who the heck is going to be kicked off the 40-man? Is Carl going to the 60-day? And why couldn't they just wait until Youk comes off the DL?

#6 Yazdog8

• 3,951 posts

Welcome back to the bigs to the pride of Redwood City, CA.

#7 joyofsox

• empty, bleak

• 6,610 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

Justin Thomas DFA to make room on the 40-man.

#8 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 16,983 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

3 of the team's 4 best relievers right now are in AAA.

#9 trekfan55

• SoSH Member

• 5,572 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

If they are recalling an OF for a pitcher, who would be a better candidate to send down?

#10 Plympton91

• loco parentis

• 6,540 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

They need someone who can play the outfield and hit righthanded pitching. Nava is more passable at both than McDonald or Byrd. Frankly, I wouldn't option Mortensen, I'd waive Byrd, play Ross in CF and platoon Nava with McDonald in LF.

Mortensen wasn't going to be available until Saturday, and other than waiving Miller (who looks just as great in SSS as Mortensen), Albers or Padilla, there was no other option. Given that Mortensen has given them 3 great 3 inning outings in relief, and had a 3.50 ERA in 60 innings as a starter for Colorado last year, perhaps this is also a move to stretch him out in the rotation at Pawtucket.

#11 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23,505 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

If they are recalling an OF for a pitcher, who would be a better candidate to send down?

Since ST I've thought they could get Albers through waivers. He would have been my choice.

#12 trekfan55

• SoSH Member

• 5,572 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

Since ST I've thought they could get Albers through waivers. He would have been my choice.

At this moment I don't think they want to expose anyone to waivers.

What they decide to do when DiceK has to come up, and when they decide to recall (as they should soon) Tazawa and Melancon is another matter.

#13 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,403 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

I'm guessing one of the other OF's is a little dinged up. Perhaps Byrd on the HPB foul ball last night?

#14 HangingW/ScottCooper

• 1,061 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

Nava gonna give you up
Nava gonna let you down

#15 trekfan55

• SoSH Member

• 5,572 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

I'm guessing one of the other OF's is a little dinged up. Perhaps Byrd on the HPB foul ball last night?

Byrd is playing tonight. The OF for tonight's game is Nava, Byrd, and Sweeney. Just like they drew it up.

#16 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,367 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

It's an extra bat, which they need, even if he's mediocre. Mortensen is the easiest to send down, since he has options and wasn't going to pitch for a few days. He may have been one of the Sox better relievers, but they don't really know. That also is why they are refusing to DFA anyone; they have no clue who is good and who isn't. Preserving assets has become an obsession, even if those assets are largely worthless.

#17 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 18,157 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

Best AAA bullpen ever?

#18 Quintanariffic

• 4,416 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

Byrd is playing tonight. The OF for tonight's game is Nava, Byrd, and Sweeney. Just like they drew it up.

Maybe for the '62 Mets.

#19 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 4,082 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

3 of the team's 4 best relievers right now are in AAA.

... and the 4th is in the starting rotation?

#20 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 9,986 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

Would he fit?

#21 mabrowndog

• 38,403 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

Because they're wisely relying on factors other than his whopping total of 3 outings vs the stalwart offenses of BAL, OAK & KC as a bellwether of roster decisions?

#22 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,559 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

Mort threw 3 innings last night - 36 pitches. He's not going tonight. I expect if the bullpen gets much used tonight you'll see Nava back down, and Melancon or Tazawa back up for Friday.

#23 mabrowndog

• 38,403 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

That suggests it might be an issue with Cody Ross, who's 5-for-13 with a HR, 2B and 4 BB lifetime vs DLowe (.385/.529/.692/1.222). Seems you'd want him in the lineup tonight.

I suppose they could also be giving Ross a breather since he's just 5-for-30 with 3 BB and 11 Ks in his last 7 games, but a roster move like this is a little extreme for the purpose of getting him a day off.

Edited by mabrowndog, 10 May 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#24 kieckeredinthehead

• 3,918 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

Best AAA bullpen ever?

Would love it if somebody would run the financial numbers on the benefit to Pawtucket winning the IL, assuming the Sox aren't going to make it to the playoffs either way and the sell-out streak continues.

#25 mabrowndog

• 38,403 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

Pawsox announcer Aaron Goldsmith breaks down Nava's hot streak:

Since April 23, Nava has been on fire and has raised his average from .188 to .316 over the course of 14 games. Here are his numbers over that stretch:
* Batting .420 (21-for-50)
* Of his 21 hits, 10 have been for extra bases (7-doubles, 1-triple, 2-home runs)
* In his last 14 games, Nava has connected on at least two hits seven times
Over 27 games this season, Nava …
* Has 14 walks to 15 strikeouts
* Has a staggering on-base plus slugging (OPS) of .926
* Is second among active PawSox hitters with 30 hits (Mauro Gomez has 39)

#26 Eric Van

• Kid-tested, mother-approved

• 10,990 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:30 AM

Given that Mortensen has given them 3 great 3 inning outings in relief, and had a 3.50 ERA in 60 innings as a starter for Colorado last year, perhaps this is also a move to stretch him out in the rotation at Pawtucket.

They sure as hell could use the depth; right now they really only have four starters. They have to decide whether Mortenson or Tazawa projects better as a SP and stretch one or the other out. (Something they should have done from the beginning of ST.) In fact, given the current bullpen depth, they could move them both back to the rotation and see who fares better. Once stretched out, they can always be called up to relieve, but the opposite is not the case.

#27 lexrageorge

• 3,122 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

They sure as hell could use the depth; right now they really only have four starters. They have to decide whether Mortenson or Tazawa projects better as a SP and stretch one or the other out. (Something they should have done from the beginning of ST.) In fact, given the current bullpen depth, they could move them both back to the rotation and see who fares better. Once stretched out, they can always be called up to relieve, but the opposite is not the case.

Except this was not feasible. The Sox starting rotation was pretty much etched in stone; noone expected it to have a near league worst ERA after 6 weeks. And I think they felt they had insurance in Aceves, Padilla, Cook if they needed another starter (and Carlos Silva was in the mix as well). Of all the supposed sins of the Sox FO and manager, this one is not one to complain about.

#28 Eric Van

• 10,990 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:23 AM

Something that completely escaped my notice last year was that Nava hit well from the right side: .277 / .372 / .445 = .296 EqA, in 137 PA. The Davenport Translation (MLE) is .264 / .350 / .421 = .273.

This year he's been even better in 35 PA: .286 / .429 / .393 = .317; the DT is .276 / .400 / .379 = .288.

It's just 162 PA but a combined .276 MLE EqA suggests he might well be an adequate bench bat from the right side as well as the left. And if that's true he's very probably a better option for the last bench spot, once everyone is healthy, than McDonald or Byrd. It's a possibility worth following

#29 Eric Van

• 10,990 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:31 AM

Except this was not feasible. The Sox starting rotation was pretty much etched in stone; noone expected it to have a near league worst ERA after 6 weeks. And I think they felt they had insurance in Aceves, Padilla, Cook if they needed another starter (and Carlos Silva was in the mix as well). Of all the supposed sins of the Sox FO and manager, this one is not one to complain about.

WTF? It wasn't feasible to have Tazawa or Mortensen start for Pawtucket instead of relieving?

The entire point of stretching one of them out is that you have to have someone adequate on options in AAA as a backup starter. If a starter goes on the DL to miss two starts, you don't want to have to clear a spot on the 40-man, select the contract of the best veteran in AAA, and then risk losing him on waivers two weeks later. You want to call up the best AAA starter on options instead. In forty years I can't remember the AAA staff being entirely composed of ml veterans not on the 40-man roster.