Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Youks pulled from lineup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#1 mauidano

• Mai Tais for everyone!

• 13,785 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

Same old story....this won't be the last time this season either....

http://www.boston.co...youkilis_6.html

#2 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8,336 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

I guess this could go in the Swan Song thread, too, but at what point does the combination of Youks' recurring injury problems, the abject suck of Nick Punto and the promise of Will Middlebrooks force a promotion of said WMB?

Asked differently, if Youks had to go in the 15-Day DL, would they be content to play Punto? Should they? When do they say uncle?

#3 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23,753 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Why wouldn't they be content on playing Punto? He was signed to play everywhere incase of an injury.

#4 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 26,262 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Why wouldn't they be content on playing Punto? He was signed to play everywhere incase of an injury.

Because people who are content playing Punto suck at baseball and life.

#5 Red(s)HawksFan

• SoSH Member

• 5,105 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

Signed to play anywhere needed on a short-term basis. If Youks ends up on the DL, they'd need to call up an infielder regardless of whether Punto is to be the regular starter or not. So they might as well call up Middlebrooks and plug him in for the duration of the DL-stint, leaving Punto to continue to be the infield super-sub.

A situation like that is exactly how Youkilis got his feet wet in the big leagues himself...Mueller went on the DL with a knee injury, and they called up Youk to be the everyday 3B for a few weeks. He started 21 games in a row following his call-up, only getting spelled once Nomar returned from his injury, with Pokey sliding to second and Bellhorn splitting time with Youks at 3B.

Can't see why they wouldn't do something similar with Middlebrooks, especially considering how well he's hitting at Pawtucket right now.

#6 BosRedSox5

• Stuart Smalley devotee

• 1,260 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

Why aren't people piling on Youk like they did with Drew? At this point, he seems about as brittle as Drew ever was.

#7 loshjott

• 3,829 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

Because he cares.

#8 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 15,827 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

Why aren't people piling on Youk like they did with Drew? At this point, he seems about as brittle as Drew ever was.

Partially because the Drew pile-on was a bit irrational so you wouldn't expect it to be be duplicated, and partially because Drew did have seasons of 72, 81, 100, 109, and 109 games played while Youkilis has only had 1 year with less than 120 games played (102 in 2010).

#9 BosRedSox5

• Stuart Smalley devotee

• 1,260 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

Partially because the Drew pile-on was a bit irrational so you wouldn't expect it to be be duplicated, and partially because Drew did have seasons of 72, 81, 100, 109, and 109 games played while Youkilis has only had 1 year with less than 120 games played (102 in 2010).

That actually makes a lot of sense.

Too bad be cant seem to stay healthy as of late though.

#10 TheoShmeo

• 8,336 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

And partially because I think people are looking forward to seeing WMB in Boston.

Separately, I'm guessing that Rembrat's question above was tongue in cheek and more a dig at Ben for having signed the dirtdog otherwise known as Punto than anything else.

#11 pokey_reese

• SoSH Member

• 5,128 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

Right, the key is also the difference between Youk and whoever replaces him. Even with his terrible slump, Youk has an OPS 100 points above Punto's. Tonight we are replacing our clean-up hitter with a guy who will hit 9th, and should hit 11th.

Replacing Salty with Shoppach isn't necessarily a huge deal, but the drop-off from Youk to Punto over a sustained time period really changes this line-up and our expectation of scoring runs.

That said, this isn't a question of can WMB outperform Punto. We know that he can, it's about not messing with his development, for which he just needs ABs. Therefore, if Youk is actually on the DL and whoever is replacing him can play every day, I don't know why you wouldn't plug Middlebrooks in there, who wouldn't lose any at bats over it, as long as you send him back down when Youk returns.

#12 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23,753 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

And partially because I think people are looking forward to seeing WMB in Boston.

Separately, I'm guessing that Rembrat's question above was tongue in cheek and more a dig at Ben for having signed the dirtdog otherwise known as Punto than anything else.

Yes and no. Punto has taken all of his reps at 3B save for 1 game he started at SS way back on April 10th. Punto isn't a super sub, he's the backup 3B.

For the record, I'd want WMB up as soon as Youk hits the DL.

#13 Plympton91

• loco parentis

• 6,708 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

Same old story....this won't be the last time this season either....

http://www.boston.co...youkilis_6.html

Wow! That lineup sucks. [BV]I assume they're facing a lefty?[/BV]

#14 Yazdog8

• 3,968 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

Kevin Thomas @ClearTheBases
Kevin Youkilis scratched 2nd straight day ... Will Middlebrooks not in the Pawtucket lineup ... Hmm.

Edit:
And as soon as I post....this:

Alex Speier @alexspeier

For those noting Middlebrooks out of #pawsox lineup on 2nd straight day Youkilis scratched, I'm told it was a scheduled off-day

Edited by Yazdog8, 30 April 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#15 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,528 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

Yes and no. Punto has taken all of his reps at 3B save for 1 game he started at SS way back on April 10th. Punto isn't a super sub, he's the backup 3B.

For the record, I'd want WMB up as soon as Youk hits the DL.

Punto is the backup at SS, 3B, and 2B. He's gotten the majority of his at bats at 3B because Youkilis has been injured and ineffective. The Sox need to get Middlebrooks up here, either to replace Anderson or Youkilis. If Youks is going to be unavailable so frequently, they need another bat (and Valentine is playing him not because he's a binky, but because he has no one else on the roster capable of playing the position).

#16 kieckeredinthehead

• 3,994 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

Can't believe I'm falling for this, but:

J.D. Drew, 2007-2010: 525 games
Kevin Youkils, 2007-2010: 528 games

#17 HriniakPosterChild

• 4,149 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

Drew's deal was $70m over 5 years; Youkilis's is ~$42 for 4.

(And Youkilis had better RBI numbers. But don't kid yourself that the money wasn't a huge part of it for Drew.)

#18 ookami7m

• 4,236 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:11 AM

(And Youkilis had better RBI numbers. But don't kid yourself that the money wasn't a huge part of it for Drew.)

I think the money played a role, but Drew had a reputation as "fragile" for years before coming to Boston. Youkilis has been a "dirtdog" here. That goes a long way.

#19 Eric Van

• Kid-tested, mother-approved

• 10,990 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:15 AM

If Youk is going to be out for a few more days, it would indeed make sense to recall WMB and option Lars. If Youk comes back in less than the 10 days Lars would have to stay in Pawtucket (which would seem likely), they can re-option WMB once they're sure Youk is 100%, re-select Spears and DFA Thomas.

#20 Lynchie

• 1,727 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:39 AM

This would appear to be a golden opportunity to give old Youk a rest. Let's bring up the youngster Middlebrooks and see how he translates to the bigs. Besides, Punto makes me sad.

#21 Carl Everetts Therapist

• yossarian

• PipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:25 AM

Was Youks scratched for the same back issue or was it something else? The link just said "setback in batting practice"

Let's assume it is the back, a 15 day DL stint retroactive to Sunday's game could do nothing but help. It's a good chance for WMB to get a little taste of the show, with little pressure playing teams that the line-up around him should do well against. You really couldn't ask for a better time to give him a whirl.

#22 fenwaypaul

• 3,174 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:00 AM

Was Youks scratched for the same back issue or was it something else? The link just said "setback in batting practice"

Yes (at least that's the official explanation).

Valentine said the hope is Youkilis' issue is only muscular.

#23 Soxfan in Fla

• SoSH Member

• 5,526 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:01 AM

I agree with this. Considering his struggling start and the back flaring up Youk could use a 15 day DL stint right now. Conversely WMB is playing well, get him his first AB's while he is hot.

As for Punto, any extended starting role should be as a true last resort.

#24 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,761 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

I think the money played a role, but Drew had a reputation as "fragile" for years before coming to Boston. Youkilis has been a "dirtdog" here. That goes a long way.

That "dirtdog" is falling apart like a '72 Mercury Montego.

The Sox really need a strong year from Youk where he plays more than 130 games. This is not getting off to a promising start.

#25 Red(s)HawksFan

• SoSH Member

• 5,105 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

Reading this, it strikes me that the apt comparison for Youks is probably Trot Nixon rather than Drew. "Dirtdog", fan favorite, homegrown product, body betraying him in his early 30s. Describes both guys well. Youks was definitely more productive at the plate in his prime, though.

#26 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25,761 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

Reading this, it strikes me that the apt comparison for Youks is probably Trot Nixon rather than Drew. "Dirtdog", fan favorite, homegrown product, body betraying him in his early 30s. Describes both guys well. Youks was definitely more productive at the plate in his prime, though.

And both could write PhD's in the fine art of Helmet and Tantrum Throwing.

Interesting comparison.

#27 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11,811 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

I agree with this. Considering his struggling start and the back flaring up Youk could use a 15 day DL stint right now. Conversely WMB is playing well, get him his first AB's while he is hot.

You're fudging a night and day difference with that bolded comparison. An extended starting role for WMB isn't a last resort; it's a goal. Not necessarily a goal we wanted to achieve in May 2012, but still, it's not like giving extended starting time to Punto, where we know what we'll get: extended suck.

#28 ookami7m

• 4,236 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

The Sox really need a strong year from Youk where he plays more than 130 games. This is not getting off to a promising start.

And both could write PhD's in the fine art of Helmet and Tantrum Throwing.

Interesting comparison.

I think the Nixon comparison is perfect for the reasons SJH hits above plus all of the "came up through the system" and "underrated by non-statheads" etc stuff. Hopefully we aren't looking at quite as precipitous a decline.

#29 Toe Nash

• 3,161 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

That's disingenuous, since three of those seasons came before Drew was on the Red Sox. As others noted when he was here his durability was comparable to Youk's (606 games to Youk's 648 from 07-11, and Drew was three years older).

But Youk signed his deal two years before he was going to be a free agent. He had less leverage and would have made less money during that time. Drew was a free agent.

It's not necessarily the money but the idea that all Drew cares about is the money, which comes from him holding out on the Phillies after being drafted.

#30 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25,761 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

But Youk signed his deal two years before he was going to be a free agent. He had less leverage and would have made less money during that time. Drew was a free agent.

It's not necessarily the money but the idea that all Drew cares about is the money, which comes from him holding out on the Phillies after being drafted.

Well that's our fault, not his. God forbid a player attempt to maximize his earnings during a baseball career. :lol: He did also opt out of his Dodgers deal to sign here.

Part of Drew's problem is that his strengths weren't easily seen upon casual viewing on TV or at the park. He had a good command of the strike zone but of course that's hardly sexy. He was an excellent defensive player but of course range is often overlooked in looking at an OFer as strong arms and dives garner more attention. He had some power but not a ton of it, etc. He did have some big postseason hits but aside from the grand slam off Carmona no one seems to remember then. Dude won a game with a homer off KRod and it's been completely forgotten already.

Youkilis is of course a homegrown player and those guys usually get more slack, understandably. But he's hardly starving and at this point it's looking unlikely that he'll provide all the value his salary indicated as he keeps getting hurt.

#31 Eric Van

• Kid-tested, mother-approved

• 10,990 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

You don't have to DL Youk. And Nick Punto should absolutely not start tonight.

If Youk needs even one or two more days, option Lars and recall WMB. Keep WMB around until it's clear that Youk is OK. Then send him down and use Spears as the last bench guy if you need to.

Furthermore, if they do this now and in two or three days they realize they do have to DL Youk retroactively to Saturday, they can call Lars right back up.

#32 Buzzkill Pauley

• SoSH Member

• 5,272 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

You don't have to DL Youk. And Nick Punto should absolutely not start tonight.

If Youk needs even one or two more days, option Lars and recall WMB. Keep WMB around until it's clear that Youk is OK. Then send him down and use Spears as the last bench guy if you need to.

Furthermore, if they do this now and in two or three days they realize they do have to DL Youk retroactively to Saturday, they can call Lars right back up.

Correct -- the Sox might not need to DL Youk, but they certainly should not risk a third straight game with no backup middle infielder.

As much as I wanted to see Lars get some regular playing time, he's not gonna. So they may as well send him back.

#33 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11,811 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

Correct -- the Sox might not need to DL Youk, but they certainly should not risk a third straight game with no backup middle infielder.

As much as I wanted to see Lars get some regular playing time, he's not gonna. So they may as well send him back.

Although if Youk is unavailable their backup 1B is Ortiz, so it's not like Lars becomes entirely irrelevant.

Youk's availability touches the lives of so many others. He's the George Bailey of the infield.

#34 nvalvo

• SoSH Member

• 7,997 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

Part of Drew's problem is that his strengths weren't easily seen upon casual viewing on TV or at the park. He had a good command of the strike zone but of course that's hardly sexy. He was an excellent defensive player but of course range is often overlooked in looking at an OFer as strong arms and dives garner more attention. He had some power but not a ton of it, etc. He did have some big postseason hits but aside from the grand slam off Carmona no one seems to remember then. Dude won a game with a homer off KRod and it's been completely forgotten already.

Huge clutch series in the 2008 ALCS, with a homer and walk-off single against the Rays in the huge game five comeback. If the Red Sox had won game seven, that game would be the stuff of legend.

#35 Pumpsie

• The Kilimanjaro of bullshit

• 10,635 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

The press played a big role in the anti-Drew phenomenon. Theo Epstein had to keep holding tutorials for the local mediots on how to actually measure production on the playing field, as you'll recall. Drew became the poster child for the counting stats vs. the Sabremetric stats argument and we know where the mediots fall in that collision.

Two other things played a big role in Drew's perception problem. The first was his temperament, with the "dirtdog" fans still lampooned today on this board with the "doesn't care/does care" meme. The second was that the things he really excelled at - his strikezone recognition, his defense, and his baserunning were harder for the average fan to discern and value and he made them look so easy. When you lay off a close but outside pitch you don't DO anything. When you get a good jump on the ball and are under it in plenty of time to catch it, it looks like you're just playing a Sunday game of catch. When you always make the right decisions on the basepaths, like whether to go from first to third or not, this doesn't register with the casual fan at all...it just seems perfectly natural that he should be standing on third after a ball drops in just out of the reach of a fielder.

But ALL of these skills does mean one thing...that when it came to the game itself, no one was more awake on the field, pitch to pitch, than J.D. Drew...that is, even though it did not LOOK as if this were the case, no one cared more than J.D. Drew...and certainly not someone like the airheaded and easily distracted Trot Nixon...who had the dirt on his uniform but did not maintain his concentration between the lines very well at all.

Edited by Pumpsie, 01 May 2012 - 11:43 AM.

#36 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 15,827 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

That's disingenuous, since three of those seasons came before Drew was on the Red Sox.

What you say is obvious, but how is it disingenuous? Drew's reputation for being brittle came before he was on the Red Sox, and the majority of the local tendency to exaggerate his injury pronedness stems from a tag he got labeled with long before he donned the Boston uniform.

#37 TheoShmeo

• 8,336 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

But ALL of these skills does mean one thing...that when it came to the game itself, no one was more awake on the field, pitch to pitch, than J.D. Drew...that is, even though it did not LOOK as if this were the case, no one cared more than J.D. Drew...and certainly not someone like the airheaded and easily distracted Trot Nixon...who had the dirt on his uniform but did not maintain his concentration between the lines very well at all.

Yikes.

I'm firmly in the pro-Drew camp and always thought that "he doesn't care enough" stuff was moronic. But part of the reason for that is that I dont think that any of us has the ability to look inside guys and know things like how much they care or how that impacts what they do on the field.

Needless to say, that applies equally when criticizing or defending Drew.

As a side note, JD also had some very big hits in the '07 WS. His granny seems to overshadow his contributions to the Rockies series in the minds of many.

Back to Youks, please be out long enough to bring up WMD.

#38 Pumpsie

• The Kilimanjaro of bullshit

• 10,635 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

Yikes.

I'm firmly in the pro-Drew camp and always thought that "he doesn't care enough" stuff was moronic. But part of the reason for that is that I dont think that any of us has the ability to look inside guys and know things like how much they care or how that impacts what they do on the field.

Needless to say, that applies equally when criticizing or defending Drew.

As a side note, JD also had some very big hits in the '07 WS. His granny seems to overshadow his contributions to the Rockies series in the minds of many.

Back to Youks, please be out long enough to bring up WMD.

The point is that pitch recognition, positioning in the field, getting consistently good jumps on batted balls, and excellent decision-making on the basepaths are all indicators of concentration. And I really don't think that a person will be concentrating fully on ANYTHING if he/she "doesn't care" about what they're doing. Concentration is an indicator of "caring."

During the first three seasons of Drew's Sox days, there was no one I'd rather have in a tough spot in a big game than Drew. He may make an out but he never would get himself out...the pitcher had to do that.

And, yes, it would be much better if Youks were shut down for a while to fully heal while Middlebrooks was brought up than if a sub-par Youks and a fully par Punto were sharing third base duties for the foreseeable future.

#39 Harry Agganis

• 3,283 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

According to the Globe lineup out for the third consecutive day

#40 The Mainahh

• 123 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

Man, I hope thats not true. I love Youk, but it almost feels like we are watching him crumble before our very eyes. I wonder how much of his recent health troubles can be attributed to his playing 3rd base and how much are part of the natural aging process. Very sad to see.

#41 Red(s)HawksFan

• SoSH Member

• 5,105 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

Youkilis is not in the lineup again tonight. They need to make a move with him. It's playing with fire to keep going with Punto at 3B and no safety net in terms of the infield. Who is the back up if Punto, Aviles, or Pedroia get hurt and Youk can't go? D-Mac at 3B? Byrd at SS? Its reminiscent of that week after Ellsbury had his collision with Beltre and Cameron was nursing kidney stones and they kept both of them active, going with an outfield of Hermida, Hall, and Drew, and no one else.

#42 Buzzkill Pauley

• SoSH Member

• 5,272 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

Man, I hope thats not true. I love Youk, but it almost feels like we are watching him crumble before our very eyes. I wonder how much of his recent health troubles can be attributed to his playing 3rd base and how much are part of the natural aging process. Very sad to see.

The "lower back" is generally the obverse of the hip-bone from the groin.

This is all related to his pre-existing hip condition, which doesn't seem to be related to the move to 3B to me. The additional throwing and can't help, but I can't imagine lunging into the 1B stretch would do wonders for the muscles there, either.

#43 MikeM

• 841 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

I'd say Youk being in final year of his contract, which was previously paying out big value dividends for us, is also going a long way atm. At least here on this forum.

Tack another year or 2 of guaranteed back-end money on the current horizon and....well, the surrounding level of frustration obviously sees a healthy spike in that other direction.

#44 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 21,332 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

Youk aged quickly, like the Syracuse winter rat, a car driven on over-salted roads past the point of corrosion. Things are starting to fall off the man.

It was foreseeable, given his body type, penchant for getting hit, and accumulated impacts from diving at 1B and 3B.

#45 JMDurron

• 4,379 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

I also wonder (and yes, I realize that this may be completely unfair) if Valentine's unfortunate comment about Youk's focus, in the midst of a positive comment about his on-field production at the time, might have been related to his focus on keeping himself in prime condition off the field. There's no question about Youk's focus and passion when he is at the plate or in the field, I think everyone (even Valentine) would agree on that point, but I wonder if Valentine is seeing something off the field that might indicate that Youk is not totally a victim a circumstance when it comes to his health, and that comment that set everyone off a few weeks ago was his way of trying to send him a wake-up call.

Edited by JMDurron, 02 May 2012 - 10:59 AM.

#46 Section15Box113

• 3,602 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:19 AM

As I posted in the Youk & WMB thread, Speier is reporting that WMB may get the call due to Youk's injury.

If so, have to think that he's coming up to play and Youk might be out for a bit - possibly even a DL stint?

Red Sox top prospect Will Middlebrooks, after returning to the Pawtucket lineup from a jammed thumb and going 0-for-4 on Tuesday, could receive a summons to the majors as soon as Wednesday, according to an industry source. With Kevin Youkilis having been sidelined for the past three games due to a stiff back and having been relegated to no more than decoy duty (he stepped into the on-deck circle as a potential pinch-hitter for Lars Anderson in an effort to deter Oakland from using a left-handed reliever against the left-handed Anderson) in Tuesday's game, the Sox have a need at third base, where Nick Punto has started the last two games.
The thumb issue prevented the Sox from calling up Middlebrooks on Tuesday. Instead, it was shortstop Jose Iglesias who was summoned from the minors to offer insurance in the Sox infield.
But Middlebrooks was determined to be healthy in his game in Toledo on Tuesday, and so he is available for a call-up today pending a medical determination on Youkilis. Assuming that Youkilis remains sidelined, it appears likely that the 23-year-old -- who is hitting .333 with a .380 OBP, .677 slugging mark and 1.057 OPS, along with nine homers in 24 games -- will be in line for his first major league summons.

http://www.weei.com/...be-called-today

#47 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 7,944 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

I also wonder (and yes, I realize that this may be completely unfair) if Valentine's unfortunate comment about Youk's focus, in the midst of a positive comment about his on-field production at the time, might have been related to his "focus" on keeping himself in prime condition off the field. There's no question about Youk's focus and passion when he is at the plate or in the field, I think everyone (even Valentine) would agree on that point, but I wonder if Valentine is seeing something off the field that might indicate that Youk is not totally a victim a circumstance when it comes to his health, and that comment that set everyone off a few weeks ago was his way of trying to send him a wake-up call.

You shouldn't put "focus" in quotes there. At no point did Bobby V use the word "focus."

#48 Soxfan in Fla

• SoSH Member

• 5,526 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

As I posted in the Youk & WMB thread, Speier is reporting that WMB may get the call due to Youk's injury.

If so, have to think that he's coming up to play and Youk might be out for a bit - possibly even a DL stint?

http://www.weei.com/...be-called-today

I think WMB is only coming up if a DL stint for Youk is involved.

#49 Soxfan in Fla

• SoSH Member

• 5,526 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

Youk aged quickly, like the Syracuse winter rat, a car driven on over-salted roads past the point of corrosion. Things are starting to fall off the man.

It was foreseeable, given his body type, penchant for getting hit, and accumulated impacts from diving at 1B and 3B.

He cannot play 3B anymore for any length of time IMO. His body just won't let him. 1B/DH is where his role will be after this season, most certainly somewhere else.

#50 JMDurron

• 4,379 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

You shouldn't put "focus" in quotes there. At no point did Bobby V use the word "focus."

You're right, I translated "physically or emotionally into the game" into "focus" in my head and misremembered the actual quote. My mistake.