Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2012 San Diego Padres: Is It Time to Move in The Fences?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

I am late starting this, so I will try to sum up the 1st few weeks of the season. The Padres hitting thus far seems weak; they are second to last in average and have only scored 70 runs. Beyond these numbers however there are some silver linings. Phil Plantier (the new hitting coach) has instilled a philosophy of working the count. They are 22nd in OBP and amazingly are 2nd in walks. Carlos Quentin should be returning in the next few weeks and as more and more players get used to Phil Planier’s intelligent approach to hitting, Padre's bats should improve.

So far San Diego’s fielding has been absolutely horrendous. The Padres are #1 in errors committed . They are making them at the astounding rate of 1.14 per game. There are no real silver linings here except that maybe there will be a regression to normal at some point. Also, Will Venable and Cameron Maybin are absolute vacuums in the outfield. So for every error these two have given up, I estimate there is at least one hit they have taken away. Sometimes they make it look so easy that no one notices how amazing their range really is.

The Padres pitching is strong, although some of this is due to the PETCO Park effect. They are currently #10 in ERA with a collective 3.42. They are #14 in WHIP with a collective 1.28. I would expect their ERA to drop further due to the PETCO Park effect. Somewhat worrying however are their road splits. They currently are ranked 26th on the road with a WHIP of 1.55.On a more positive note, three of their 5 starting pitchers have less than 2 seasons in the major leagues. So far, all three have shown the ability to get major league hitters out and have shown flashes of brilliance.

In spite of the Padres 7 and 14 start, they are still a team with a lot of potential both this year and in the future. They are very young with a lot of developing talent and one of the strongest minor league systems in baseball. Young teams like the Padres can sometimes surprise and go on great runs. Although I would not expect them to sustain anything, I do expect them to offer fans an exciting period or two during the season. Also, assuming the probable becomes reality and they are out of the race at the trading deadline; they have some great trade chips to help them build a serious contender next year. If Carlos Quentin is healthy, he will bring back some nice ballplayers. Chase Headley should also fetch a pretty price as should Edinson Volquez.

Edited by Robert Plant, 28 April 2012 - 02:18 PM.

#2 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

The Padres put their "Ace" Cory Luebke on the15 day disabled list retroactive April 27th. This is troubling as Cory has been pitching very well this season (2.61 ERA, 1.16 WHIP in 31 innings pitched). In Luebke's place, Jeff Suppan started today and amazingly pitched 5 shutout innings. The Padres threw combined back to back shutouts in their first series win of the season. Unfortunately with their feeble hitting, shutting out their opponents might be the only way they can win.

Edited by Robert Plant, 02 May 2012 - 11:04 PM.

#3 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:15 PM

Strange day for the Padres. Cory Luebke (the Padres "ace") is out with what seems like a partially torn labrum. This is very bad.

http://sandiego.padr...book_sd&c_id=sd

On the other hand, the Padres made what appears to be a steal of a trade with the Angels. They acquired two of the Angels top 20 prospects for Ernesto Frieri, a very nice middle reliever, but a middle reliever none the less.

http://sandiego.padr...news_sd&c_id=sd

In the trade, the Padres acquired Alexi Amarista and Donn Roach. Amarista is a small, shortstop who gets on base quite well and is strong defensively. He looks to be major league ready. Donn Roach is a single A starter with a nasty repertoire of pitches. He has been on fire this year.

With all the injuries, the Padres might have a very rough season, yet their future looks brighter today than it did yesterday. Of course it was pretty darned bright yesterday.

#4 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

Orlando Hudson was released today. The Padres are going to eat the remainder of his contract (about 6.25 million dollars). The Padres also placed shortstop Jason Barlett on the 15 day DL.

Both players were bad last year and have been horrendous this year. Josh Byrnes has made it very clear in interviews that if a player doesn't perform the Padres don't want him around. Speaking of Bartlett today Josh said, "Jason understands he goes on the DL, these guys are coming up, and there's no guarantee of a job waiting on the other side. That's just the way we're set up right now."

To replace Hudson and Bartlett, the club called up 2 hot middle infield prospects, Evreth Cabrera and Alexi Amarista (from the Ernesti Frieri trade a few weeks ago).

#5 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:08 PM

Carlos Quentin finally came off the DL today. He went 1 for 4 with an RBI. Too bad he wasn't ready a month ago when he was supposed to be. At that point the Padres still had a chance of being competitive. I guess the best the Padres can hope for now is that he goes on a tear and makes himself a valuable commodity come the trade deadline.

http://sandiego.padr...book_sd&c_id=sd

Edited by Robert Plant, 29 May 2012 - 12:12 AM.

#6 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:37 PM

According to multiple sources the sale of the Padres to the O'Malley group for around 800 million dollars has been approved by MLB owners.

http://www.nbcsandie...-166420546.html

Additionally, according to what I just heard on XX 1090 San Diego Sports Radio, Phil Nicholson said that the new owners plan to bring payroll up to around 100 million dollars. Given the level of young talent on the Padres and the way they have been playing since the all star break, this could be very good news for the Padres. With some added depth, 2013 could be a very interesting season.

Edited by Robert Plant, 16 August 2012 - 12:44 PM.

#7 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

Casey Kelly is making his major league debut tonight. His stuff looks electric. His fastballs move all over the place and the control he has over his sinkers seems mind-blowing, so far at least.

#8 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16,962 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

Casey Kelly is making his major league debut tonight. His stuff looks electric. His fastballs move all over the place and the control he has over his sinkers seems mind-blowing, so far at least.

Why don't his minor league numbers seem a little better? I guess his K/9 looks better than a year or two ago, but why aren't his other numbers better?

#9 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,164 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

His sinker looks good, but I already have serious questions about how many swinging strikes he will get, also, the pitches he doesn't make perfectly have been over the heart of the plate. Just my 2 innings, 2 cents.

9 balls in play, 4 line drives, so far.

Edited by SoxScout, 27 August 2012 - 09:58 PM.

#10 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

Why don't his minor league numbers seem a little better? I guess his K/9 looks better than a year or two ago, but why aren't his other numbers better?

I'm not sure, but the Padres Double A park in Texas and their Triple A park in Arizona are notorious hitter's parks. Perhaps that is why? From the little I've seen, he seems like a fly ball pitcher which actually can play well in the NL West.

Edited by Robert Plant, 27 August 2012 - 09:37 PM.

#11 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,164 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for the charts Sox Scout! Could you educate us on what they mean. It seems that Kelley's fastballs and curve balls had consistent movement. Was it above average movement? It also seems that Kelly controlled his pitches exceptionally well. Is that correct? Am I misreading the chart? Was the speed differential between fastballs and offspeed pitches above average?

#13 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:26 PM

Chase Headley was named the National League Player of the Month for August. He is the first Padre to receive the honor since Tony Gwynn in 1997.
http://mlb.mlb.com/n...pr_mlb&c_id=mlb Chase is under team control for another 2 years.

Last year Headley finished the season with 4 home runs and 44 RBIs. This year he has 24 home runs and 92 RBIs. So either, Chase has worked wicked hard, Phill Plantier is a genius, Chase is juicing, or a combination of all three. Or, perhaps Chase has just simply grown up as a player.

#14 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

The Padres are 69 and 76. If they win 12 and loose 5 they will finish their season at .500. Even more amazingly, they are only 7 games out of the wild card. Of course they are not going to make the playoffs but it is still not impossible. This is a team that looked like one of the worst teams in baseball the first 3 months and has sustained more injuries to key players (top of the rotation starters) than perhaps any other team.

Edited by Robert Plant, 15 September 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#15 Robert Plant

• 664 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

As a fitting end to the 2012 season and this thread, the Padres have officially decided to move in the fences at Petco Park (see the image below).

Posted Image

Edited by Robert Plant, 23 October 2012 - 09:29 PM.