Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

The Brooklyn Nets

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#1 Three10toLeft

• 779 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

Not sure about where to post this, figured I'd start a new topic.

Here is the new logo/apparel for the Brooklyn Nets. Personally, I think it looks awesome. Nice minimalist design, kind makes me think of old school street basketball in NY, or what I imagine that would be like.

Posted Image

Posted Image

What say you guys?

#2 Orel Miraculous

• 1490 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

I would have liked to see them incorporate the bridge into the design. Instead of the letter B in the basketball a sharp drawing of one of the towers would have been cool.

#3 The Social Chair

• 860 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

I love it.

#4 John Marzano Olympic Hero

• has fancy plans, and pants to match

• 15204 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

When I first saw the logo, I didn't like it very much. But it's growing on me.

If they go with just black and white, they'll be one of three teams with just two colors in their logo. The other two: the Detroit Red Wings and the Toronto Maple Leafs.

#5 NoMaRRaMoN

• 926 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

You think Jay-Z designed it?

#6 OilCanShotTupac

• Not Clowning Around

• 8323 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

I would have liked to see them incorporate the bridge into the design. Instead of the letter B in the basketball a sharp drawing of one of the towers would have been cool.

I would agree with you, if the Warriors hadn't gotten there first.

Posted Image

#7 OilCanShotTupac

• Not Clowning Around

• 8323 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

When I first saw the logo, I didn't like it very much. But it's growing on me.

If they go with just black and white, they'll be one of three teams with just two colors in their logo. The other two: the Detroit Red Wings and the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Indianapolis Colts?

#8 Orel Miraculous

• 1490 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Indianapolis Colts?

NY Jets, Chicago White Sox, Oakland Raiders, Cincinnati Reds (unless you count black trim), hell even the Warriors as you can see above. I'm sure there's more.

#9 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17303 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

You think Jay-Z designed it?

His design firm did, yes.

I think it sucks, personally.

#10 knucklecup

• hi, I'm a cuckold

• 4225 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

it looks dumb, amateur, and something I could draw in paint. I'll wait and see the jerseys but I don't really like it at this point. i guess the navy shirt on the far left looks cool.

Edited by knucklecup, 28 April 2012 - 12:16 AM.

#11 crow216

• SoSH Member

• 5785 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:17 AM

Not bad at all, decent logo. Nothing flashy, cool looking, and kind of fits the same design of thousands of Brooklyn t-shirts that people already wear.

#12 Beomoose

• SoSH Member

• 8684 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:42 AM

The B looks odd, a little un-balanced. Otherwise, perfectly competent logo.

#13 kazuneko

• 1697 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:33 AM

I'm still disappointed that they didn't decide to change the name. I mean, the "Nets" were always one of the worst-named franchises in sports and this was a perfect opportunity to change that.

Edited by kazuneko, 28 April 2012 - 05:33 AM.

#14 John Marzano Olympic Hero

• 15204 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:13 AM

NY Jets, Chicago White Sox, Oakland Raiders, Cincinnati Reds (unless you count black trim), hell even the Warriors as you can see above. I'm sure there's more.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

You're correct about the Jets and whether one thinks that the face mask is a part of the uniform depends on one's perception of the Colts, but the White Sox have silver, black and white, same with the Raiders, the Reds have black, white and red, Warriors have blue, yellow, black and white.

#15 Greenwell982

• 133 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

While not neccesarily a fan of the design, I am so glad they don't look like a damn expansion team, so there is that. I personally would have loved more of a throwback to their ABA jerseys.

#16 NoMaRRaMoN

• 926 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

I'm still disappointed that they didn't decide to change the name. I mean, the "Nets" were always one of the worst-named franchises in sports and this was a perfect opportunity to change that.

Agreed. It's up there with the Wizards among the lamest professional sports team names.

#17 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 4363 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

Agreed. It's up there with the Wizards among the lamest professional sports team names.

Jets, Mets, Nets, and even the New York Sets, a professional tennis team in the mid-1970s. Guess they liked their "-ets".

#18 simplyeric

• Professional Writer

• 3557 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

The B just seems to be the wrong font. I do like the simplicity of the overall designt, and I think it works. But the letter seems not quite right.

#19 dolomite133

• everything I write, think and feel is stupid

• 5920 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

The B just seems to be the wrong font. I do like the simplicity of the overall designt, and I think it works. But the letter seems not quite right.

I agree, the font seems amateurish. Those shirts look like something out of an airport gift shop. They need to change that.

#20 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10499 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

The Brooklyn Dodgers 'B' would look perfect. Seems like a no-brainer, unless there were some trademark issues.

#21 Orel Miraculous

• 1490 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

The Brooklyn Dodgers 'B' would look perfect. Seems like a no-brainer, unless there were some trademark issues.

The Dodgers still hold the rights to all the old Brooklyn insignia.

#22 simplyeric

• Professional Writer

• 3557 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

The Dodgers still hold the rights to all the old Brooklyn insignia.

Still, wouldn't be that hard to use some sort of old-school B, even if it wasn't "exaclty" the Dodgers B.

#23 bankshot1

• SoSH Member

• 7591 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

B ingo that's what I was thinking
that B would have been a natural

#24 dolomite133

• 5920 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

Jay Z designed the B. An article on the Brooklyn Nets initial marketing efforts here.

#25 John Marzano Olympic Hero

• 15204 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

Jay Z designed the B. An article on the Brooklyn Nets initial marketing efforts here.

If I were Jay-Z, I'm not sure if I'd be bragging about that. I know that the Nets are trumpeting this as a huge deal in order for sheep to buy shirts, but all Jay-Z did was take a basketball, slap an Arial-Narrow "B" on it and then call it a day. It's an ok design, but there's nothing exciting or unique about it design-wise at all. In fact, it's a bit boring.

#26 SoxFanInPdx

• 1701 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Did they come up with that logo 24hrs before the deadline? Pretty bland if you ask me. Oh well, more interested in the building they'll be playing in.

#27 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 8115 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
I really dig the shirt, and BROOKLYN NEW YORK logo.

#28 DannyDarwinism

• 1968 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

I really like it. I suppose one man's "understated" is another's "boring."

So, the hanging shoes on the t-shirt- its it just urban legend that shoes hanging from power lines is gang or drug related? Obviously not always (I don't think there's much dealing going on my block, anyways) but is this a common belief?

#29 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 8115 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

Snopes has about a half dozen theories. I've seen it in the most innocuous of neighborhoods so it's not necessarily sinister

#30 fairlee76

• 1542 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

I really like it. I suppose one man's "understated" is another's "boring."

So, the hanging shoes on the t-shirt- its it just urban legend that shoes hanging from power lines is gang or drug related? Obviously not always (I don't think there's much dealing going on my block, anyways) but is this a common belief?

When I lived in DC, I spent a bit of near Benning Road and was told by friends down there that the hanging shoes were absolutely a tribute. But maybe things have changed in the last ten years.

#31 dolomite133

• 5920 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

I have to admit, while it's sort of a lame logo, I appreciate the minimalism. I'd rather wear that shirt than most of the other super-loud, super-lame, graphic-intensive NBA gear out there now.

#32 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 14926 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

When I lived in DC, I spent a bit of near Benning Road and was told by friends down there that the hanging shoes were absolutely a tribute.

Me too, but I've always heard it as a tribute to dead friends. That's sometimes gang or drug related, but often not.

#33 DourDoerr

• 686 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

I'm digging the logo/shirts a lot. Fantastic - especially considering how overblown most new logos are. Savvy of Jay Z to steal a lot of the Oakland Raiders' thunder and make the Nets the NBA equivalent. Not only the spare black and white but the use of a shield. The only question is why did it take so long for an NBA team to grab what will be a best seller?

If Williams leaves, the Nets really won't have a current player who justifies buying a jersey. For that reason, the Nets should sign Iverson to a one year contract - that jersey would go through the roof. Otherwise, I'm sure they'll but past Nets on jersey backs.

For fun, what other current players on the down, down side should the Nets look at w/ jersey sales in mind?

Edited by DourDoerr, 01 May 2012 - 11:29 AM.

#34 DannyDarwinism

• 1968 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

For fun, what other current players on the down, down side should the Nets look at w/ jersey sales in mind?

New York loves their PGs, but Bassy Telfair is the only one I can think of still in the league. Rafer Alston's been done for a couple of years, but his Skip-2-My-Lou days would still have some pull in jersey sales if he came back. Marbury's a punchline at this point. World Peace may have to change his name back to Ron Artest. Uh, Sundiata Gaines... where's God Shamgod these days?

Sad state of affairs for NYC hoops.

#35 simplyeric

• Professional Writer

• 3557 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

I'm digging the logo/shirts a lot. Fantastic - especially considering how overblown most new logos are. Savvy of Jay Z to steal a lot of the Oakland Raiders' thunder and make the Nets the NBA equivalent. Not only the spare black and white but the use of a shield. The only question is why did it take so long for an NBA team to grab what will be a best seller?

If Williams leaves, the Nets really won't have a current player who justifies buying a jersey. For that reason, the Nets should sign Iverson to a one year contract - that jersey would go through the roof. Otherwise, I'm sure they'll but past Nets on jersey backs.

In a way I agree...I like the spare simplicity of it....except for the B is all I'm saying. I think the B is just a little too spare.

Anyway, I imagine I'll be seeing a lot of these in my neighborhood soon, even if the Nets stink and it's the off-season for them. I'll try to post some pictures, just for the heck of it. I suppose I could post some in-progress pics of the arena, if anyone is interested.

I'm worried what game nights will be like in my neighborhood, but I'm really excited for them being in Brooklyn. Still a C's fan, but it'll be fun to have a secondary team (that I might even be able to afford some tix to go see).

#36 Grin&MartyBarret

• 3359 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

Maybe Renauldo Balkman? He's from Staten Island. But I'm not sure his jersey would sell much. Taj Gibson is from Brooklyn, too. But I dont think the Bulls are trading him anytime soon. Likewise Joakim Noah.

Maybe Lance Stevenson will be available. He and Telfair are the only two who I think might sell any jerseys at all.

#37 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 22794 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

I REALLY like the look. I love how simple it is. It's classic. I'd be tempted to grab a hat and shirt.

#38 86spike

• Currently enjoying "Arli$$"

• 22090 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

I REALLY like the look. I love how simple it is. It's classic. I'd be tempted to grab a hat and shirt.

Given the fact that Laddie is more in touch with hip hop and streetwear fashion than probably 90% of us... I think his opinion says something about what the Nets are going for.

This logo is designed to appeal to both team fans and general streetwear fans.

That's why Jay Z showed up at an advertising event last night looking like this:

Posted Image

they're moving a ton of merch already and are going to be one of the biggest selling teams next year. If they can somehow convince Deron Williams to stay (BTW, his wife was tweeting up a storm about how much she loves the new logos on Monday... I wonder if she would rather keep living in Manhattan than Dallas) or land another star, that jersey is going to be a huge mover.

#39 dynomite

• 4525 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

This logo is designed to appeal to both team fans and general streetwear fans.

Exactly, and a simple black and white logo does that job perfectly. The LA Raiders had an enormous streetwear presence in the 90s using the same tactics (to be fair, that had to do with West Coast rap as well).

For example, NWA:

Posted Image

#40 knucklecup

• hi, I'm a cuckold

• 4225 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:03 AM

This team has the potential to be really bad as well. If Williams leaves, they're screwed. Jersey sales don't win games. Horrific basketball doesn't put people in the seats.

It'll be interesting to see what they do.

#41 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15451 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

Exactly, and a simple black and white logo does that job perfectly. The LA Raiders had an enormous streetwear presence in the 90s using the same tactics (to be fair, that had to do with West Coast rap as well).

For example, NWA:

This is my point. The 90's LA Raiders sold a lot of gear but not that many tickets because the people wearing the gear are not the ones that can afford the tickets, and certainly not the luxury boxes. They are basically going after one and only one demo with that look, and I am fairly sure the tickets will not be priced accordingly. I think they are going to hurt, although certainly not kill, their ability to develop a broad appeal.

I think it's awful. drab, colorless...I despise the shirt featuring the ball with the ridiculously placed hat. It's as if they are screaming...."Hey Long Islanders, stay out of Brooklyn...this is not your team, its ours". I don't know how they sell luxury suits with the streetwear image. One thing the Knicks do well is get corporate to pay massive amounts of $ to buy the suites.

Edited by bsj, 04 May 2012 - 09:22 AM.

#42 86spike

• 22090 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:28 AM

This is my point. The 90's LA Raiders sold a lot of gear but not that many tickets because the people wearing the gear are not the ones that can afford the tickets, and certainly not the luxury boxes. They are basically going after one and only one demo with that look, and I am fairly sure the tickets will not be priced accordingly. I think they are going to hurt, although certainly not kill, their ability to develop a broad appeal.

I think it's awful. drab, colorless...I despise the shirt featuring the ball with the ridiculously placed hat. It's as if they are screaming...."Hey Long Islanders, stay out of Brooklyn...this is not your team, its ours". I don't know how they sell luxury suits with the streetwear image. One thing the Knicks do well is get corporate to pay massive amounts of $ to buy the suites.

So only poor people buy streetwear styles?

That may have been true in the early 90s, but it's absolutely 100% not true now. Streetwear and hiphop is completely mainstream. Long Islanders aren't going to be put off by the style. Long Island is full of that style just like every other part of the country is.

#43 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28227 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

they're moving a ton of merch already and are going to be one of the biggest selling teams next year

wouldn't that be the case of any new team, though? It's like when Jeremy Lin's jersey was the fastest selling for a while..I mean, no shit, no one had his jersey.

#44 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8805 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

So only poor people buy streetwear styles?

That may have been true in the early 90s, but it's absolutely 100% not true now. Streetwear and hiphop is completely mainstream. Long Islanders aren't going to be put off by the style. Long Island is full of that style just like every other part of the country is.

A lot of the new Nets gear is also exactly the kind of stuff 30- and 40-year old dudes in Park Slope and DUMBO and Cobble Hill wear.

EDIT: Also, bsj do you realize that Brooklyn is a 2.5 million person city with lots of rich people, including tens of thousands of yuppies raising their kids within about 2 miles of the new arena? I live in Brooklyn and I swear my life has nothing in common with New Jack City.

Edited by Shelterdog, 04 May 2012 - 09:47 AM.

#45 Grin&MartyBarret

• 3359 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

Yep, because everybody knows urban youth culture will never catch on in the suburbs.

#46 DannyDarwinism

• 1968 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

A lot of the new Nets gear is also exactly the kind of stuff 30- and 40-year old dudes in Park Slope and DUMBO and Cobble Hill wear.

I'm one of those dudes who loves the design and will be going to games. The thing is, I don't think it's too streetwear. It's simplicity gives a broader appeal. My wife who is from Brooklyn and works in design, loves it. Her artsy Williamsburg friends who don't give a shit about sports love it. The finance guys and lawyers I play hoops with love it.

I don't know about Long Island, but I really don't think appealing to streetwear trend-setters is really going to put off Long Islanders who would otherwise be going to NBA games in Brooklyn.

But that shirt with ball wearing the hat is horrendous.

#47 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15451 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

EDIT: Also, bsj do you realize that Brooklyn is a 2.5 million person city with lots of rich people, including tens of thousands of yuppies raising their kids within about 2 miles of the new arena? I live in Brooklyn and I swear my life has nothing in common with New Jack City.

I just think that you already had Brooklyn, and with Jay Z owning the team, you already had the urban youth....why not try to widen your appeal a little? Try to get some of the NYC corporate types to take the train over and buy those luxury boxes.

#48 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8805 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

I just think that you already had Brooklyn, and with Jay Z owning the team, you already had the urban youth....why not try to widen your appeal a little? Try to get some of the NYC corporate types to take the train over and buy those luxury boxes.

I guess I'm not following you. Do you think that the gritty/throwback look they're going for is just too "street" for corporate america (or more particularly, the parts of corporate america who live near New York and watch hoops?)

Also, are you aware that an awful lot of the NYC corporate types live in Brooklyn?

EDIT: The Net's issues with corporate types isn't going to be the logo, it's going to be (1) that the Nets suck and (2) that it's not nearly as conveniently located as MSG.

Edited by Shelterdog, 04 May 2012 - 11:05 AM.

#49 86spike

• 22090 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

wouldn't that be the case of any new team, though? It's like when Jeremy Lin's jersey was the fastest selling for a while..I mean, no shit, no one had his jersey.

I don't recall there being a huge story about tons of Oklahoma City thunder gear being sold when they moved from Seattle. That's the most recent example of a moving team, right?

The Nets stuff has two obvious advantages over the Thunder: Brooklyn itself has cache (I don't think Biggie ever rapped about Oklahoma City) and the logo isn't all lame-ass modern cartoony like this:

Posted Image

#50 simplyeric

• Professional Writer

• 3557 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

Hey neighbor....I'm a 40yr old dude in Fort Greene. This is a lot more common with the 30-something Brooklyn crowd:

Posted Image

That being said, the "poor urban" sportswear (code for...) that I see around Brooklyn looks nothing like this logo. This logo is decidedly retro, and I do think it will appeal to a lot of people, because it's sortof ambiguously retro. It's not straight up early 20th century stuff...it's more "ambigiously mid-century", although the "B" starts to be more 70's-simplistic. Anyway, blah blah blah.

Point is, it's not specific enough to turn anyone off (I don't think your upper-middle-class or corporate types see that and think "Raiders"), and people won't necessarily feel ridiculous wearing that logo on their shirt. (e.g. the logo in 86spike's post)

Edited by simplyeric, 04 May 2012 - 11:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users