Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

4/27 MiLB Gameday: Because I'm a Workman

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,371 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

Today's Games:

IL: Pawtucket (Ross Ohlendorf) @ Columbus (Zach McAllister) [7:05pm]
EL: Portland (Chris Martin) vs. Reading (Julio Rodriguez) [6:05pm]
CL: Salem (Brandon Workman) vs. Carolina (Francisco Jimenez) [7:05pm]
SAL: Greenville (?Miguel Pena?) @ Delmarva (Tyler Wilson) [7:05pm]
NYPL: Lowell - Season Begins June 18th.
GCL GCL Sox - Season Begins June 18th.
DSL DSL Sox - Season Begins June 2nd.

Notes:

Xander Bogaerts has a 14 game On-Base Streak.

Daisuke Matsuzaka's Next Rehab - Saturday for Portland.

Media:

MiLB TV
MiLB Radio

Local Media:

Pawsox: Providence Journal, Pawtucket Times

Seadogs: Portland Press Herald

Salem: Roanoke Times

Greenville: Greenville Online

Lowell: Lowell Sun

#2 jonasi

• 787 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

#3 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

Stolmy Pimentel starting tonight in Portland!

Michael Lee released.

Edited by SoxScout, 27 April 2012 - 12:53 PM.

#4 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,409 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

Cross-posting from Adopt-A-Prospect...

WMB was set to appear on WEEI's Dennis & Callahan this morning, but the hosts just announced they'll have to reschedule since Will is "a little under the weather".

No idea if his illness will keep him out of tonight's game in Columbus.

#5 JakeRae

• SoSH Member

• 5,311 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

Through 5, Stolmy has 7 K and 0 BB and a 5:1 GO:FO ratio. 4 of the 7 hits he's given up have also come on GB. After last season, it's great to see him start this year with some success, even if he's given up 3 runs and 2 earned. I'm assuming he's done for the day after 5 solid innings.

#6 Eric Van

• Kid-tested, mother-approved

• 10,990 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

Through 5, Stolmy has 7 K and 0 BB and a 5:1 GO:FO ratio. 4 of the 7 hits he's given up have also come on GB. After last season, it's great to see him start this year with some success, even if he's given up 3 runs and 2 earned. I'm assuming he's done for the day after 5 solid innings.

More than solid; the SIERA of that outing is 0.79. You strike out 33% of your batters and get 64% of the rest to hit grounders, plus a popup, and that's domination, BABIP luck or no BABIP luck (two of the four ground ball hits were infield hits). In terms of results it's not the best game of his professional career -- that would be last May 9 when he had a 6 3 0 0 1 7 line -- but he had only five ground balls in that game (and four popups, a much less sustainable skill), so it is probably the best he's ever pitched in his life. Really, really, encouraging.

#7 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,371 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

Portland loses 5-4.

Boxscore

Stolmy Pimentel went 5 innings, allowing 3 runs (2 earned) on 7 hits; striking out 7. Brock Huntzinger went 2 innings, walking one. Aaron Kurcz went 2 innings, allowing 2 runs (1 earned) on 4 hits (1 HR); striking out 4.

Jeremy Hazelbaker went 2/3 with a walk and a CS. Juan Carlos Linares went 2/4 with a HR. Bryce Brentz went 2/4 with 2 doubles. Dan Butler went 1/3 with a HBP. Derrik Gibson, Reynaldo Rodriguez and Heiker Meneses each went 1/4; Rodriguez with a double. Kolbrin Vitek and Oscar Tejeda each went 0/4.

#8 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,371 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Pawsox lose 4-1.

Boxscore

Ross Ohlendorf went 6 innings, allowing 2 runs on 10 hits, a walk and 2 WPs; striking out 4. Andrew Miller pitched an inning, allowing 2 runs on a walk and a HR; striking out 3. Mark Melancon went an inning, giving up a hit and striking out 2.

Ryan Lavarnway went 2/4. Josh Kroeger went 1/3 with a HR. Jose Iglesias went 1/4. Alex Hassan went 0/2 with a HBP and a SB. Daniel Nava and Che-Hsuan Lin each went 0/3. Pedro Ciriaco, Mauro Gomez and Will Middlebrooks each went 0/4.

#9 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,371 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

Salem wins 7-2.

Boxscore

Brandon Workman went 6 innings, giving up 3 hits and striking out 4. Manuel Rivera went 3 innings, allowing 2 runs on 3 hits (1 HR) while striking out 4.

Shannon Wilkerson and Michael Almanzar each went 2/4; Almanzar with a double. Christian Vazquez went 1/2 with a HR and 2 walks. Travis Shaw went 1/3 with a SF. Jackie Bradley went 1/4 with a double and a walk. Brandon Jacobs and Felix Sanchez each went 1/4; Jacobs with a SB, Sanchez with 2 SBs. Xander Bogaerts went 0/3 with a walk. Sean Coyle went 0/4 with a walk.

#10 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,371 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

Drive lose 6-0.

Boxscore

Miguel Pena went 4 2/3 innings, giving up 2 hits and a walk; striking out 6. Hunter Cervenka went 1 1/3 innings, allowing 4 runs on 3 hits, 2 walk and a WP; striking out 2. Tyler Lockwood went 2 innings, allowing 2 runs on a walk and a HR; striking out 4.

Keury de la Cruz went 2/2 with a walk. Jordan Weems went 1/3. Garin Cecchini went 1/4. Jose Vinicio, Cody Koback and Henry Ramos each went 0/3. Boss Moanaroa, Blake Swihart and Bryan Johns each went 0/4.

#11 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

http://www.presshera...2012-04-28.html

Pimentel worked at 95 with a slider and change. He has dumped his curveball.

#12 Buzzkill Pauley

• SoSH Member

• 5,268 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:27 AM

http://www.pressherald.com/sports/reading-reigns-on-stolmy-night_2012-04-28.html

Pimentel worked at 95 with a slider and change. He has dumped his curveball.

Just so long as he doesn't start relying on some half-ass cutter...

His calling card as a prospect has been his fastball-change combo, so hearing that he's working in the mid-90's is good news.

#13 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,371 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

STORIES

PAWSOX

Game Story

The PawSox lost their second straight on Friday night in Ohio, stumbling against the Clippers, 4-1. Zach McAllister allowed just 3 Pawtucket hits in 7 innings. One was a solo homer by Josh Kroeger, accounting for the only Pawtucket score. Ross Ohlendorf lost for the first time this season. The big righty allowed just 2 runs but surrendered 10 hits. Andrew Miller struck out the side in his only inning of relief, but walked a man and gave up a home run.

SEADOGS

Game Story

Pimentel made a solid return to Double-A baseball Friday, despite the Sea Dogs' 5-4 loss to the Reading Phillies at Hadlock Field.
Miguel Abreu's home run off reliever Aaron Kurcz (0-2) in the ninth inning was the difference.
Pimentel, 22, started and threw five innings, allowing seven hits, three runs (two earned), and no walks, while striking out seven. He featured a fastball that touched 95 mph, along with an effective change-up and slider. He has ditched his curveball.
"Everything was working, down in the zone," Pimentel said. "Everything was good, except for the one inning when I got behind in the count."
Were it not for a five-hit, three-run third inning, it would have been a brilliant outing.
"His fastball had some good velocity going," Sea Dogs Manager Kevin Boles said. "He had a good rhythm to his delivery."
A good rhythm is vital for Pimentel, who was promoted to the Red Sox 40-man roster before the 2011 season. He began last year in Portland but after 15 starts he was 0-9 with a 9.12 ERA. He was demoted to Class A Salem.
"Last year, he fought his delivery a little bit," Boles said.
Following Pimentel was Brock Huntzinger, a former Sea Dogs starter whose request to join the bullpen was granted. Huntzinger allowed one walk over two innings, needing only 17 pitches.

SALEM

Game Story

IT ALL CLICKS: Getting a strong pitching performance from the rotation's newest addition and at least one hit from seven players, the Salem Red Sox won their third straight, beating the Carolina Mudcats 7-2 Friday in front of 3,655 at Salem Memorial Ballpark.
WELCOME TO SALEM: Right-hander Brandon Workman, making his first start in this ballpark, tossed six scoreless innings for Salem. Drafted in the second round out of the University of Texas in 2010, he allowed three hits and no walks while fanning four.
"My first outing I couldn't throw anything offspeed," said Workman, who gave up four runs last week in his Carolina League debut at Potomac. "I was getting ahead of hitters, but my offspeed wasn't consistent, so I couldn't go to that to finish hitters. Being able to do that today made the difference."
THE LITTLE THINGS: Sox third baseman Michael Almanzar went 2 for 4 to raise his average to .296. One of his hits was a routine pop up that dropped into short right field when Carolina's second baseman couldn't locate it.
Almanzar reached second because he had sprinted out of the box - something the Sox haven't always seen out of a guy signed for a $1.5 million bonus as a 16-year-old in 2007.
"I don't want to say that it's time for him to produce, but he needs to have a sense of urgency," manager Billy McMillon said. "I don't know what it was about tonight, but he ran down the line hard. He had a little bit more oomph on his throws. That's I think what so many people love about his potential, that you see that from time to time.
"If he can do that more consistently, I think he's got a chance to shake some of the labels that he might have acquired over the years and become a ballplayer."

DRIVE

Game Story

The Drive and Delmarva Shorebirds dueled to a scoreless tie through the game's first five innings Friday night. But when Greenville was forced to go to the 'pen after a strong outing from Mickey Pena, the home team tagged Drive relievers en route to a 6-0 victory in the finale at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium.
Pena retired the first nine batters he faced before giving up an infield single to Glynn Davis in the bottom of the fourth. It would be the first of two hits in the inning for the Shorebirds, but both runners would be left stranded. An inning later, the southpaw retired the first two batters he faced, but then issued a walk to Mychal Givens, bringing an end to his outing.
After retiring the loan batter he faced in the bottom of the fifth, Hunter Cervenka (0-2) saw eight Delmarva batters an inning later. Following walks to Davis and Brenden Webb, Justin Dalles broke up the 0-0 tie when he ripped a two-run single. Sammie Starr concluded the inning, knocking in two more runs, with a double.
The Shorebirds' Tyler Wilson (3-1) matched Pena pitch-for-pitch in the early going, the only difference was that he hung around for 6.0 innings. The right-hander scattered three singles and a walk, while striking out seven.
Devin Jones picked up where Wilson left off, earning his second save, by tossing 3.0 scoreless innings to secure the shutout victory.
Delmarva added two more runs off Tyler Lockwood in the bottom of the eighth on Nick Delmonico's two-run homer.