Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

Happy Patriots Day.  I expect some heavy usage today so please if there are any problems just let me know via twitter @sonsofsamhorn.  thanks folks.  nip

Photo

Chandler Jones

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 pappymojo

• 1264 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

A place to discuss...

http://www.buffalobi...couting-report/

Strengths:
Has prototypical size for the position…has long arms and a good build…does a good job with his get off on the snap, it allowed him to get around the OT…he’s a passionate and unquestioned leader on the field…tackles well, making sure to wrap up the ball carrier…shows some nice power off his bull rush…has some decent hand coordination with both his punch power and placement…has a lot of potential thanks to the ability to grow into his frame and use his size…has plenty of pedigree as his one brother play DE for the Baltimor Ravens (Arthur Jones) and his other is the UFC Light Heavyweight Champion (Jon Jones).
Weaknesses:
Not quite sure why he left school early…extremely raw in terms of his fundamentals…can almost always be located on film because he plays so high…has a good first step but isn’t an explosive edge rusher…stiff hips with limit his scheme fit to a 43…does not work very well laterally down the line of in space…struggles to change direction and can be shook by ball carriers who are shifty…has the length to control the blocker at the POA with his arms but has not learned how to do that consistently…gives up his chest plate too easily…questions will linger around his knee injury.

#2 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 12032 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

National Football Post - Wes Bunting:

Possesses a tall, lean frame with a long set of arms and a lot of growth potential. Exhibits some natural width through his lower half and should be able to continue to fill out. Isn't a real natural bender though. Has a tough time sitting into his stance, staying low off the football and really keeping his base under him into contact. Doesn't eat up a ton of ground off the snap and lacks the first step burst to consistently be a threat to the corner. Uses his length well into contact and when on the edge showcases some coordination to jab with his inside hand and work a club/arm over in order to slip the block and get around the corner. However, isn't overly fluid when trying to turn the edge, gets upright and looks tighter, but uses his length well to make himself big and wrap. Gets upright as a bull rusher, showcases some natural power to his game, but exposes his frame and struggles to gain leverage. Drops his head into contact, but is routinely the higher man. Has the length and power to get away with it at the college level but will be stonewalled in the NFL. Isn't real sudden laterally and doesn't showcase a real quickness about his game when setting up a counter. Is upright, looks tighter and doesn't have much change of direction skills.

Plays upright vs. the run game as well, fails to consistently gain leverage and doesn't extend his arms well into contact. However, has the natural length to extend when engaged in order to create room for himself and shed. Showcases good range for his size off his frame in the run game and can chase off his frame and use his length to close in pursuit. Lacks ideal anchor ability, but because of his natural strength and length makes it tough for opposing blockers to stay engaged.

Missed time this season with a knee injury and will need to check out medically.

Impression: I love his size and length. But I worry about defensive lineman who play upright, lack a great get off burst and struggle to change directions. I don't see him as a big time pass rusher. But if he improves his pad level he could mature into a potential starting option.

#3 Reverend

• needs sharper knives

• 19441 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

This write up is getting buried quickly in the posts about him, but it sounds like Belichick fan fiction.

"My mom always gets mad at me when I say this, but I'm going into the draft with the impression that I'm going in the third round," Jones said in a recent phone interview. "Whenever I do get picked, it's going to be shocking to me. I just want to play football again and be an impact player, but as far as going in the first round it would be a dream come true."

"I stay humble through it all, but I feel like what raised my stock was the way I interviewed," he said. "I met with 14 different teams, talked to the head coach, general managers, talked to coordinators and position coaches. I felt like I carried myself very well. I came to every single interview like it was a job interview. I sat down with a coach, told him what I know, and all the coaches were impressed with how much I know, and were very intrigued with me. We watched film, and I explained what went on. They were impressed with my football knowledge."

"Teams love that I'm versatile," Jones said. "Throughout my college career, I played nose tackle, I played defensive tackle and I played defensive end. With the body frame I have, 6-5, 265 pounds, I can play the 5 technique or stay where I am and play outside linebacker. I have not played in a 3-4 scheme, but there were different looks at Syracuse University where we would shift into a 3-4, and I felt comfortable. I can come off the edge real fast, so I do not think it would be too foreign. Dropping into coverage is something I will have to get used to, and it's a challenge I'm ready to tackle."

Edited by Reverend, 26 April 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#4 Reverend

• needs sharper knives

• 19441 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

A place to discuss...

http://www.buffalobi...couting-report/

Weaknesses:
Not quite sure why he left school early…

As per above:

Chandler Jones made the decision to leave Syracuse after the NFL draft advisory board told him he would be a third-round pick.

Jones also has bulked up in the time he left Syracuse, putting on 13 pounds during his time at API Performance in Pensacola, Fla.

Edited by Reverend, 26 April 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#5 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 12032 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

McShay in a video on ESPNBoston:

"Chandler Jones became, by far, my favorite player to watch on tape this year when he came back and was healthy down the stretch. He's not the elite speed rusher off the edge, but hes athletic, he plays with good leverage, he can turn quickness to power as a pass rusher. And I think he's just scratching the surface as a football player.

"He's tall at 6-5. He's up to 266 pounds. Just a year ago he was 245 pounds. Again, he's not that elite edge rusher, but in a defense that plays four-man front, three-man front, likes to be versatile, move guys around, I think Chandler Jones has a chance to develop into the star of this unit and I think he's going to be one of the real surprises from the 2012 draft."

#6 Reverend

• needs sharper knives

• 19441 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

Willie McGinest: 6'5" 270 lbs.*

*all figures are approximations.

pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

#7 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8610 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

Don't have a link but BB said--in response to a question about whether he could gain weight--that he might put on 5-10 lbs when he gets "on the program" but, with a characteristic sneer, that it's not like he'll weigh "295".

#8 ragnarok725

• 3977 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

I started watching video on him back before when he was projected late 1st / early 2nd before his rise and being slated to the Pats. Willie McGinnest is the frame I see, but I'm not sure he's quite that quick.

But his size, and something about the way he moves (I think it's the hips) screams Willi McGinnest at me.

#9 riboflav

• 2540 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

I started watching video on him back before when he was projected late 1st / early 2nd before his rise and being slated to the Pats. Willie McGinnest is the frame I see, but I'm not sure he's quite that quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhrBNt85BZc

But his size, and something about the way he moves (I think it's the hips) screams Willi McGinnest at me.

He looks slow. I want to like him but he looks slow. It will be interesting to see how he's used. I'm not sure he can get to the QB from the edge in the NFL. He'll have to rely on power and he seems to play too high to gain enough leverage.

#10 triniSox

• 1084 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

He looks slow. I want to like him but he looks slow. It will be interesting to see how he's used. I'm not sure he can get to the QB from the edge in the NFL. He'll have to rely on power and he seems to play too high to gain enough leverage.

You have to consider this was his first game back from his knee injury

#11 riboflav

• 2540 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

You have to consider this was his first game back from his knee injury

Thanks - didn't know that. I hope you're right.

#12 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 14501 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

Might as well nickname him The Elephant right now because that's what position is envisioned when I see him play.

#13 triniSox

• 1084 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

Thanks - didn't know that. I hope you're right.

No problem - here's the link confirming it: http://www.jsonline....146916265.html.

I can't say that I know how fast he really is though because I haven't seen much of him

#14 chester

• 1035 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:55 PM

This unfortunately was my take on a lot of the plays I saw from the Pitt game take, ableit one game, but after the initial burst he had trouble sustaining that momentum to get beat the OL. From what I saw when it comes to getting at the QB it was all about that initial rush and he actually has a pretty good one and has some great timing. But maybe that program he has been working has and will help him gain that speed he needs to be an elite rusher. But I will say that I think he has the skill to set the edge which is more about the initial burst and I have to think that BB likes that and hopes he can mold him into the double threat as the edge rusher as well. One can hope at least.

#15 dynomite

• 4330 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

You're right that he lacks the "elite speed" of most edge rushers. He's definitely slower than some of the people we want him to be, but it's not clear how he's going to be used, nor is it clear exactly how much a difference of one-tenth of a second in a 40 yard dash matters on the playing field. Jared Allen and Mario Williams also lack "elite speed," and it hasn't slowed them down. (Get it?)

40 times:

4.87 - Jones
4.84 - Andre Carter
4.75 - Chris Long
4.73 - Mario Williams
4.72 - Jared Allen
4.68 - Julius Peppers
4.64 - Jason Pierre-Paul
4.62 - Jason Babin
4.51 - DeMarcus Ware
4.43 - Jevon Kearse

Edited to fix a time

Edited by dynomite, 27 April 2012 - 12:34 AM.

#16 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:30 AM

"Chandler is a little younger and has a little less experience coming out early; he missed part of the season last year (with a knee injury)," he said. "But very talented player, smart guy, works hard and really did a good job against some good quality players he faced in the last couple years at tackle in the Big East."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/18850202

#17 Dick Pole Upside

• 3205 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

Might as well nickname him The Elephant right now because that's what position is envisioned when I see him play.

Jumbo Jones

#18 lostjumper

• 898 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

"Teams love that I'm versatile," Jones said. "Throughout my college career, I played nose tackle, I played defensive tackle and I played defensive end. With the body frame I have, 6-5, 265 pounds, I can play the 5 technique or stay where I am and play outside linebacker. I have not played in a 3-4 scheme, but there were different looks at Syracuse University where we would shift into a 3-4, and I felt comfortable. I can come off the edge real fast, so I do not think it would be too foreign. Dropping into coverage is something I will have to get used to, and it's a challenge I'm ready to tackle."

Wow, that sounds like a Belichick guy if I ever heard one. He does look a bit slow to me as well, but both Mayock and McShay seem to love him. His versatility would be huge if he can play the end in a 4-3 and the elephant in a 3-4. Working out at API and putting on 13 lbs of muscle since he left Syracuse is a good sign for his work ethic. This is probably a project guy who will need 3 years to come into his potential, but its really nice to finally have someone like this in the front 7.

#19 ( . ) ( . ) and (_!_)

• T&A

• 1830 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

Wow, that sounds like a Belichick guy if I ever heard one. He does look a bit slow to me as well, but both Mayock and McShay seem to love him. His versatility would be huge if he can play the end in a 4-3 and the elephant in a 3-4. Working out at API and putting on 13 lbs of muscle since he left Syracuse is a good sign for his work ethic. This is probably a project guy who will need 3 years to come into his potential, but its really nice to finally have someone like this in the front 7.

Agreed I'd be surprised to see him standing up on 1st and 2nd downs in his rookie season. I think they initially use him like they used Mark Anderson before Andre Carter got hurt. A guy to rush the passer on third downs and other passing spots.

#20 Kenny F'ing Powers

• posts 18% useful shit

• 4616 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

I only got to see the videos they were using during the draft, and of course those are his "highlights" not "lowlights", but...

The talk of him being slow doesn't seem true to me at all. He had great explosion coming off the snap in the videos last night. For all the talk of the upside of Quinton Coples, I'd say that Coples looked big and slow coming off the snap. I was very impressed with the small amount I saw of his videos last night. Looking forward to seeing more of him...

#21 Saints Rest

• 3560 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

For you nitty-gritty football experts -- does a thing like "he plays too high" be coached out of him? Can leverage be taught at this level?

#22 ragnarok725

• 3977 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

I only got to see the videos they were using during the draft, and of course those are his "highlights" not "lowlights", but...

The talk of him being slow doesn't seem true to me at all. He had great explosion coming off the snap in the videos last night. For all the talk of the upside of Quinton Coples, I'd say that Coples looked big and slow coming off the snap. I was very impressed with the small amount I saw of his videos last night. Looking forward to seeing more of him...

His size also contributes here. Big guys take long strides and look slower than smaller guys who move their feet quicker. With his length, he just needs two steps to be around a tackle. I think he might make that first step quicker with some better technique. He had his butt pretty high in the air - didn't look like he was angling himself quite right to be as explosive as he could. All the talk is about how raw he is - I think there's a lot of room to clean things up mechanically and see better results. He'll probably also add more lower body muscle, which could help him here too.

For you nitty-gritty football experts -- does a thing like "he plays too high" be coached out of him? Can leverage be taught at this level?

Good question. I'd love to hear an answer too. I would imagine it can to a degree, but the dude is tall. He's probably limited by having such a high center of gravity himself?

#23 SpacemanzGerbil

• 2853 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

Despite being meh on the pick last night, I'll point out that Jones' 10 yard split on the 40 was 1.63 seconds, which is pretty fast for a man that size. In fact, if you look at athletic comparisons only, he compares favorably to Aldon Smith last year.

#24 Kenny F'ing Powers

• posts 18% useful shit

• 4616 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

Yes and no, although I'm unsure how much it really matters at the NFL level. You always want to be the man playing closer to the ground in every 1-on-1 matchup, but he'll be seeing much taller Tackles at the pro level then at the collegiate level.

Chandler Jones is 6'5, 265. For a comparison, the player list for the top 10 in sacks at defensive end last year include heights of...

6'7 (Julius Pepper)
6'6 (Jared Allen)
6'5 (Jason Pierre-Paul)
6'4 (Mark Anderson, Andre Carter)
6'3 (Jason Babin, Chris Long, Cliff Avril, Chris Clemons, Trent Cole)

So, 5 of the top 10 defensive ends in sacks last year were 6'4 or taller. Sometimes, I think when it comes to the draft people like to make up issues to sound more knowledgeable then they really are. If he was 6'5 and lanky, I could understand the fear of him playing "too tall". For a point of reference though, Jared Allen is an inch taller but only five pounds heavier (270 pounds) than Jones.

Now, I'm sure he's been taught to play with better leverage. These guys have learned since a young age that the man closer to the ground wins the battles. If he has a problem of playing too tall (which isn't something that I've heard, but I believe you) he's probably been able to get around it with his athleticism and strength. If he's getting stood up in training camp, then I'm sure it will be a point of emphasis to play lower.

Still, I heard that he's very good at getting his hands into an offensive lineman's chest. He's got a huge wingspan. If he's exploding into players and getting his hands into the offensive lineman and winning the battle before the offensive lineman can get into his body, then his height and leverage is a non issue. Once a defensive end gets position and gets arm extension, he controls the upper body of the offensive linemen and has won the battle.

Edited by Kenny F'ing Powers, 27 April 2012 - 11:20 AM.

#25 Saints Rest

• 3560 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

Yes and no, although I'm unsure how much it really matters at the NFL level. You always want to be the man playing closer to the ground in every 1-on-1 matchup, but he'll be seeing much taller Tackles at the pro level then at the collegiate level.

Chandler Jones is 6'5, 265. For a comparison, the player list for the top 10 in sacks at defensive end last year include heights of...

6'7 (Julius Pepper)
6'6 (Jared Allen)
6'5 (Jason Pierre-Paul)
6'4 (Mark Anderson, Andre Carter)
6'3 (Jason Babin, Chris Long, Cliff Avril, Chris Clemons, Trent Cole)

So, 5 of the top 10 defensive ends in sacks last year were 6'4 or taller. Sometimes, I think when it comes to the draft people like to make up issues to sound more knowledgeable then they really are. If he was 6'5 and lanky, I could understand the fear of him playing "too tall". For a point of reference though, Jared Allen is an inch taller but only five pounds heavier (270 pounds) than Jones.

Now, I'm sure he's been taught to play with better leverage. These guys have learned since a young age that the man closer to the ground wins the battles. If he has a problem of playing too tall (which isn't something that I've heard, but I believe you) he's probably been able to get around it with his athleticism and strength. If he's getting stood up in training camp, then I'm sure it will be a point of emphasis to play lower.

Still, I heard that he's very good at getting his hands into an offensive lineman's chest. He's got a huge wingspan. If he's exploding into players and getting his hands into the offensive lineman and winning the battle before the offensive lineman can get into his body, then his height and leverage is a non issue. Once a defensive end gets position and gets arm extension, he controls the upper body of the offensive linemen and has won the battle.

Don't believe me -- these are not my points -- but read the reports that were the first two posts in this thread -- that's all I'm going off of.

#26 8slim

• SoSH Member

• 5811 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

FWIW, I'm one of the the dwindling breed of fanatical Syracuse football fans.

I won't begin to claim to have a lot of deep Xs and Os knowledge, but I'm excited about this pick. Jones has had flashes of dominant play. He's been hurt a couple times (though I don't believe anything that's chronic) and that always seemed to derail his progress. He's also an excellent person by all accounts. Personality-wise he's custom-made for the Pats. And he seems, to me, to be one of those guys who will put it all together in the pros.

#27 dbn

• 2605 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

There seems to be an increased focus in the NFL on D linemen focusing on trying bat down passes when you can't get to the QB. His height and wingspan can't hurt in this regard.

#28 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

#29 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6342 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

Signed

#30 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 6419 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

Jones did not practice today. Well, no one did, but the Pats released his injury saying he wouldn't have practiced if they'd had practice today.

http://www.patriots....2b-cf773c489218

#31 Reverend

• needs sharper knives

• 19441 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:22 AM

Jones did not practice today. Well, no one did, but the Pats released his injury saying he wouldn't have practiced if they'd had practice today.

For a brief instant before realizing they have to send in a report with who would be projected to be injured, I thought this was a magnificent bit of trolling of the league by Belichick.

#32 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 10583 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

For a brief instant before realizing they have to send in a report with who would be projected to be injured, I thought this was a magnificent bit of trolling of the league by Belichick.

If BB was actually trolling, he should have listed everyone.

#33 amarshal2

• 2565 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

If BB was actually trolling, he should have listed everyone.

Or he could have listed Gronk in two categories.

Oh, wait...

#34 ragnarok725

• 3977 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

Cross-posting this from the secondary thread where it didn't belong...

He got off the field OK, which seems to indicate that it is likely a sprain, and not of the "high ankle" variety. Obviously, we won't know much of anything until the injury reports come out, and even then there's a chance he'll miss the Thursday game due to the short week.

It was early in the game and we know how Gronk continued to play after the high ankle sprain in the playoffs yesterday. He was on the sidelines after the injury, went in for an X-Ray, came back out, and then didn't return to the sideline with the team in the second half. I think that's basically all we know about it at this point.

FWIW I went back and watched the play he got hurt on a bunch of times. Right at the snap of the ball it looks like he plants, and then gingerly pulls up the right leg before getting bowled over. When the guy gets off him, he's grabbing the upper right ankle area. Not sure if it means anything, but I don't think we've gotten any info one way or the other about it.

Posted Image

I'd be surprised but not shocked if Jones winds up being out longer than Gronk. The potential downside of the high-ankle sprain is bad, especially for an end.

#35 ragnarok725

• 3977 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

I'm actually kind of surprised there isn't more reporting on the status of this injury, given how much Jones has been hyped to this point in the season and how well he had been playing. He's been ruled out for tomorrow night:

The New England Patriots ruled out starting left guard Logan Mankins, starting right defensive end Chandler Jones and top tight end Rob Gronkowski for Thursday night's road game against the New York Jets.

http://espn.go.com/b...ut-for-thursday

#36 ragnarok725

• 3977 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

I'm still pretty surprised at how little interest this injury has generated. Jones was probably the leader in the clubhouse as far as DROY voting goes. He's been one of the biggest playmakers on the defense all year at a position the Pats have been looking for production from forever.

Jones is out of practice again for a 2nd day this week after the mini bye week. The most information I've seen anywhere about the injury came in Mike Reiss's chat today:

West (Ridgefield, CT)
Mike the scene surrounding Chandler Jones' injury was odd looking when it happened. It looked to me that the trainers were examining his achilles not his ankle. Have you heard anything around the organization that would suggest that they are downplaying a significant injury? Any achilles injury, even a mild strain, is difficult to come back from due to the danger of rupturing a compromised tendon.

Mike Reiss
Not at all, West. I watched that injury closely while it was happening, and had my binoculars locked in the whole time on the sideline. That was a re-tape of the right ankle, no doubt in my mind. Jones has been around and those who have seen him say he's walking just fine.

Edited by ragnarok725, 29 November 2012 - 03:33 PM.

#37 steveluck7

• 1085 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

I'm still pretty surprised at how little interest this injury has generated. Jones was probably the leader in the clubhouse as far as DROY voting goes. He's been one of the biggest playmakers on the defense all year at a position the Pats have been looking for production from forever.

Jones is out of practice again for a 2nd day this week after the mini bye week. The most information I've seen anywhere about the injury came in Mike Reiss's chat today:

[/size][/font][/color]

I'm not really surprised per se. He was approaching the "rookie wall" portion of the season so once he got dinged, I wouldn't be surprised if the team decided to shut him down for a couple of weeks to recover, recharge and be ready for Houston on the 10th (possibly even until SF)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users