Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

The Offseason Gamethread

• Please log in to reply
1517 replies to this topic

#1 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 16812 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

Well, this year was good. Up until the playoffs. What can you do, shit happens. Shit no one Laichs. You can either be a man, or you can cower like Turtleschew or TurtlesDad.

Now, it is time to Ward off those postseason demons, step Bäckström the ledge, take in the blooming Green of spring, and open the beer fridge wide, men. Upon those brews one must lower the hammer, lick the hangover, and get a big sub from Carl's, son. I know that's what I'll be doing. Holy Schultz, it's summertime, and we are golfing.

Go Kings.

#2 The Four Peters

• can peacefully dougie off this mortal coil

• 10945 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

I haven't had the time (or the heart) to catch up on the Game 7 thread, but I am in no way ready for Bruins hockey to be done. Their season has ended on 5 straight Game 7's now, that has to be some sort of record, right?

At least there's golf, sun, and beer. Lots of beer.

#3 URI

• stands for life, liberty and the uturian way of life

• 9929 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

I don't like this thread :(

#4 BoSoxFink

• Stripes

• 4732 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

There is nothing worse then the day after the Bruins are eliminated, especially in a year where the Red Sox are the laughing stock of the MLB

#5 PedroSpecialK

• 16812 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

I don't Laich this thread :(

#6 Titoschew

• 2842 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

Well, this year was good. Up until the playoffs. What can you do, shit happens. Shit no one Laichs. You can either be a man, or you can cower like Turtleschew or TurtlesDad.

Now, it is time to Ward off those postseason demons, step Bäckström the ledge, take in the blooming Green of spring, and open the beer fridge wide, men. Upon those brews one must lower the hammer, lick the hangover, and get a big sub from Carl's, son. I know that's what I'll be doing. Holy Schultz, it's summertime, and we are golfing.

Go Kings.

This post is soxfan121 approved.

#7 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9416 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

At least we still have the Canucks to point and laugh at. Bobby Lou not only agreed to waive the no-trade, he demanded a trade.

Pull the trigger, Burke.

#8 TheRealness

• Don't make him go all Lucic on your ash

• 8107 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

There is nothing worse then the day after the Bruins are eliminated, especially in a year where the Red Sox are the laughing stock of the MLB

But they've won three in a row!

#9 The Four Peters

• 10945 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

At least we still have the Canucks to point and laugh at. Bobby Lou not only agreed to waive the no-trade, he demanded a trade.

Pull the trigger, Burke.

What a sweet, sweet consolation prize.

The other awesome consolation prize? It's Dougie time baby. Teach me how to Dougie.

#10 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25331 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

But they've won three in a row!

Which just means it's time for Valentine to open his fat mouth again and derail the momentum.

#11 BoSoxFink

• Stripes

• 4732 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

What a sweet, sweet consolation prize.

The other awesome consolation prize? It's Dougie time baby. Teach me how to Dougie.

Kate Upton is my favorite Dougie teacher

#12 PedroSpecialK

• 16812 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

Corvo replaced by Hamilton. Zan-Dawg replaced by McQuaid. Mottau perhaps re-signed as #7 along with Krug/Cross on the shuttle.

Lucic - Krejci - Horton
Marchand - Bergeron - Caron
Spooner - Seguin - Peverley
Paille - Campbell - Thornton
Pouliot/Arniel

Chara - Boychuk
Seidenberg - Hamilton
Ference - McQuaid
Mottau/Krug

Thimas
Rask
Khudobin

IIRC Khudobin is waiver-eligible, so I wouldnt be shocked to see Thimas go to, say, Chicago. If they then deal one of Boychuk/Peverley, opens the door to sign one of Suter/Parise respectively.

#13 The Four Peters

• 10945 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:43 AM

I would be surprised if Paille came back to be honest. I love the guy and his effort, but no need to spend the money there especially when they're going to need it. I'd love to see Balls come back, but all depends on what he's looking for.

Would Edmonton be interested in Thimas? Khudobin does have a one way deal next year, so it's either on the team or likely losing him. A Rask/Khudobin pairing has infinite potential, but there's also no denying that neither have remotely proven that they can stand up to a full season's workload. It'll be interesting to see what Chia does.

#14 BoSoxFink

• Stripes

• 4732 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

I would give my left nut to get Zach Parise here. I still think this team could use one more supremely talented offensive player and he would fit the mold.

It would not surprise me if Chiarelli has had him targeted as the one big time free agent he would spend money on. He fits everything they need. Another top offensive forward who is damn good in his own end as well. Julien would love him as he would fit into the system seamlessly. SIGN HIM NOW!

#15 PedroSpecialK

• 16812 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

Would you trade Khudobin and a conditional pick for Parise's negotiating rights?

Because I would.

#16 BoSoxFink

• Stripes

• 4732 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

Would you trade Khudobin and a conditional pick for Parise's negotiating rights?

Because I would.

Yes I would. I think Khudobin has the talent to be a number one goalie in this league, but obviously we have Tuukka and one more year of Thomas. They can always find a suitable backup next year of neccesary, when Thomas is gone

#17 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9416 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

I would be surprised if Paille came back to be honest. I love the guy and his effort, but no need to spend the money there especially when they're going to need it. I'd love to see Balls come back, but all depends on what he's looking for.

Would Edmonton be interested in Thimas? Khudobin does have a one way deal next year, so it's either on the team or likely losing him. A Rask/Khudobin pairing has infinite potential, but there's also no denying that neither have remotely proven that they can stand up to a full season's workload. It'll be interesting to see what Chia does.

I was wondering last night after the game if Thimas had played his last game in Boston, given the NTC lift and the Khudobin contract. Chicago was the team I though would be a good fit for him. Out of the conference, reasonably close to his home and they're a goalie short of being a legit Cup contender. Seems to make sense for all parties.

Edited by cshea, 26 April 2012 - 08:55 AM.

#18 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6007 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

I was wondering last night after the game if Thimas had played his last game in Boston, given the NTC lift and the Khudobin contract. Chicago was the team I though would be a good fit for him. Out of the conference, reasonably close to his home and they're a goalie short of being a legit Cup contender. Seems to make sense for all parties.

I think he has -- something has to give here. I think he can have another good year next year, but I think the teams best bet is to go with Rask and I don't see Thomas sitting behind Rask quietly again, especially if they make the playoffs.

#19 AMcGhie

• The Robinson Canoe of RMPS

• 1075 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

IA Rask/Khudobin pairing has infinite potential, but there's also no denying that neither have remotely proven that they can stand up to a full season's workload. It'll be interesting to see what Chia does.

Rask appeared in 44 games in 09-10, played 57 the year before in the AHL, and has played better when he gets regular work. I'm confident that if he gets a 55/27 split in games, he could conceivably go 35-15-5. He went 22-12-5 in '09-'10 with a sub-2 GAA and a .931 save percentage.

Still, I think Thomas when he is ON is one of the best in the league. He did not steal a game in this series. He kept the Bruins in practically every one, but there was not one game where Thomas stood on his head and STOLE a game.

I think its time to move on. I think that its time to build around a nucleus of Bergeron-Marchand-Seguin-Lucic-Krejci on offense, and Chara-Boychuck-McQuaid-Hamilton-Rask on defense and plan to have all 10 long term and producing long term. The only thing I think that we should really concentrate on this offseason is going after a pure scorer. I think Seguin can put up 35-40 next season, and I think that Marchand, Horton(if healthy), and Lucic can all crack 30. I still want someone who can score 50.

#20 PedroSpecialK

• 16812 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

Stamkos or Malkin would probably cost a fair bit in a trade.

#21 Titoschew

• 2842 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

Khubo, Boychuk and negotiating rights for Rolston, Mottau, Paille, Campbell. Get it done, Chia.

#22 BoSoxFink

• Stripes

• 4732 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

I'm thinking Pouliot, Boychuck and Khudobin should get it done

#23 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25331 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

I think he has -- something has to give here. I think he can have another good year next year, but I think the teams best bet is to go with Rask and I don't see Thomas sitting behind Rask quietly again, especially if they make the playoffs.

This is where I am. Thomas looked his age this series and had a genuinely awful game in Game 5. He looked OK otherwise, but not a Vezina winner either. He can't reasonably be expected to be a Vezina guy any longer due to his age.

I'm willing to deal him away and roll the dice with Rask and Khudo next year. Thomas ain't getting any younger the Bruins stand to lose Khudo (5-1 in his NHL chances with a GAA under 2) due to his one-way deal.

#24 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

One good thing to come out of Malkin coming here would be you guys making even more fun of me for asking for below-ticketmaster-priced tickets than you do now/last year.

#25 Blacken

• Paddy Tanniger the Caddy Manager

• 7978 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

One good thing to come out of Malkin coming here would be you guys making even more fun of me for asking for below-ticketmaster-priced tickets than you do now/last year.

Nobody's making fun of you. They're insulting you.

#26 timlinin8th

• 399 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

I still want someone who can score 50.

Here's a list of the guys who have put up 50 goals in the last 5 seasons:
Malkin, Stamkos, Corey Perry, Ovechkin, Crosby, Iginla, Kovalchuk.
That's it. 50s a LOT.

#27 AMcGhie

• 1075 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

Also, Campbell and Krejci were horrible in faceoffs all season. We need to get guys on their wing that can take faceoffs.

#28 AMcGhie

• 1075 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

Here's a list of the guys who have put up 50 goals in the last 5 seasons:
Malkin, Stamkos, Corey Perry, Ovechkin, Crosby, Iginla, Kovalchuk.
That's it. 50s a LOT.

Doesn't mean I can't dream.

Edited by AMcGhie, 26 April 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#29 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25331 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

Doesn't mean I can't dream.

Might as well dream of a unicorn that shits rainbows, while you're at it.

#30 PedroSpecialK

• 16812 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

Dougie should be at development camp, so...

#31 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4581 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

That was rough in the 10 seconds after the goal was scored but now I am surprisingly zen about it. Tough series to lose.

I agree on Paille - love his effort but he's not worth any more than he's getting now and Caron earned a shot at being a regular in the close of the regular season. I think we have to resign Balls because... well, he's, Balls. And he adds some skill to the third line.

I can't see Edmonton taking on Timmy. Even with a goalie, I don't think they have a realistic shot without some decent defensemen which they don't really have and I don't think they'll have next year. So the window for them doesn't really match up with Timmy's. I could definitely see Chicago doing it though.

The Bs really do need to get better on faceoffs. Especially Seguin, good fuck is he terrible at them; Krejci as well. I have no idea how you do that.

#32 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 7181 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

Chicago re-signed Emery to a one year deal a little bit ago so that ship may have sailed.

#33 kenneycb

• 7181 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

That was rough in the 10 seconds after the goal was scored but now I am surprisingly zen about it. Tough series to lose.

I was like that too. But that was mainly because I was getting busy with your mother.

#34 The Four Peters

• 10945 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

Well let's get off of mothers, I just got off of yours.

#35 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4581 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

Yeah, I imagine that's a "lie back and think of Engblom" situation for you.

Edited by TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle, 26 April 2012 - 10:10 AM.

#36 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6007 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

I just can't get myself worked up over anything concerning the Bruins right now. It was a tough series to lose, but it's not like they rolled over -- they went out and competed in every game and just didn't get a couple lucky bounces their way, Washington did. It also didn't help that I felt like the Bruins were playing the Capitals AND the Refs for most of the series.

Additionally, I just feel like this team is so easy to root for and I love the direction they are headed that it's really tough to be upset about anything. We're enjoying the best run of success this franchise has seen since the late 80s and maybe even since the 70s. Sure no one player is going to be perfect, but the sum of the parts is pretty fucking awesome. I have zero complaints about the team, management or any aspect of the franchise. Zero. Not many teams come back from winning the Cup to have a long run the following year, it's just really difficult to do. Some franchises don't recover for years - the Bruins are setup to be, IMO, the best team in the East next season. Hard to complain about that.

EDIT: Late 80s, not late 90s. The late 90s sucked.

Edited by FL4WL3SS, 26 April 2012 - 10:27 AM.

#37 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13275 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

Agreed FL4WL3SS. We talked about it a lot on the way home last night how many breaks it takes to win a cup and how magical a ride it was and all that stuff. And then started thinking about how likeable this team is and how nice it was that a lot of the crowd stayed after the handshakes to cheer the team and how nice it was that they (led by Chara) hung around on the ice and did a last stick salute and how that didn't happen 2 and 3 years ago and it was mainly boos and how young they are and how nicely Chia has them set up for the future with younger players and cap room and and and. And it got a little better.
So yeah, it sucked. But these are still good times.

#38 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9416 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

The stick salute was a nice touch. It's a small thing, but I remember being real pissed that they didn't acknowledge the fans after the Carolina and Philly game 7 losses.

#39 Spaulding Smails

• Worth a thousand words

• 2655 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

I just have to reiterate how much of a beast Seidenberg is, I thought his shot block on Ovechkin late in the 3rd was legendary. He is the prototype for a guy that elevates his play in the postseason.

#40 The Four Peters

• 10945 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

I just have to reiterate how much of a beast Seidenberg is, I thought his shot block on Ovechkin late in the 3rd was legendary. He is the prototype for a guy that elevates his play in the postseason.

Words really can't describe how much I love playoff Seidenberg. He is an animal in every sense, just so incredibly solid and tough to play against. What a great find by Chiarelli.

#41 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6007 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

There's no doubt in my mind that I'm getting a Seidenberg jersey. Easily my favorite Bruin.

#42 Titoschew

• 2842 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

The stick salute was a nice touch. It's a small thing, but I remember being real pissed that they didn't acknowledge the fans after the Carolina and Philly game 7 losses.

With Carolina, Thomas was already down the hall, dressed and trimming his playoff beard before the line had even formed to shake hands.

#43 kenneycb

• 7181 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Michael Ryder-esque.

#44 Chainsaw318

• 1391 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

Corvo replaced by Hamilton. Zan-Dawg replaced by McQuaid. Mottau perhaps re-signed as #7 along with Krug/Cross on the shuttle.

Lucic - Krejci - Horton
Marchand - Bergeron - Caron
Spooner - Seguin - Peverley
Paille - Campbell - Thornton
Pouliot/Arniel

Chara - Boychuk
Seidenberg - Hamilton
Ference - McQuaid
Mottau/Krug

Thimas
Rask
Khudobin

IIRC Khudobin is waiver-eligible, so I wouldnt be shocked to see Thimas go to, say, Chicago. If they then deal one of Boychuk/Peverley, opens the door to sign one of Suter/Parise respectively.

If that's roughly the line-up isn't that going to throw them right to the cap? Resigning Paille, Campbell and Rask? I tried to figure it and came out around $60m, but that's just in salary, maybe not AAV.

I liked Zanon as a solid bottom 2-3 guy, but he made $2m this year and I think if Hamilton rotates in, they hopefully won't be looking for depth defense until the trade deadline.

Do you let Campbell and Paille go and see if Rolston will come back at the minimum to run on the 4th line?

Does doing that, plus letting BenWa go and filling in all but one forward opening with Suave/Arniel/Spooner/knight leave enough cash to add a high-offense wing?

#45 Dropkick Izzy

• 3401 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

Michael Ryder-esque.

Twissssst that knife!

#46 PedroSpecialK

• 16812 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

Michael Ryder-esque.

/sobs uncontrollably

#47 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15208 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

It was probably no more than 15 seconds after they lost that I was like "damn, I fucking love this team a lot" and right about then the crowd noise distinctly turned to cheers and they did the salute. The whole thing just made me happy for some reason...as if it reassured me that I'm rooting for the right team.

It's telling that he, along with Kelly, is one of the guys Chia didn't extend during the year when he was handing them out. Tells me Chia has a definite plan.

#48 GLOSS

• 172 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

Officially in the first stage of postseason elimination: denial. As in I'm denying the fact that the NHL exists for a few weeks. At least the NFL Draft is tonight so I'll have my twitter feed mostly filled up with that and not with Game 7 updates. Also, I haven't woke up feeling like shit for two and a half weeks, I think it's time to rectify that tonight. Hell fuck it, I'm out of work, let's rectify that right now.

#49 fenwaypaul

• 3084 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

Posted Image

#50 Haunted

• The Man in the Box

• 2156 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

This thread was started 6 weeks early.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users