Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Sean Williams in; Jermaine O'Neals corpse out

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 knucklecup

• hi, I'm a cuckold

• PipPip
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

I'm a Boston College blowhard but I really like this signing. He's got an incredible amount of potential and I've never understood why he couldn't be an effective player off the bench, at the very least.

Poor man's Stiemsma?

#2 Koufax

• 1,929 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

At the beginning of the season a poor man's Steimsma would seem impossible. Now, not so much.

#3 dolomite133

• everything I write, think and feel is stupid

• 5,920 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

I've been advocating this, in spite of Williams significant character issues, for a couple of years now, because I feel his interior presence and shotblocking would complement the big three & rondo.

Love this. Anyone who can jump start the break, play physical and throw down rondo oops is fine by me.

Edited by dolomite133, 19 April 2012 - 07:51 PM.

#4 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,750 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

He was one of the best weakside shot blockers in college bball history - an incredible athlete. But he cannot get out of his way. Still, though, playing with a pg like Rondo is exactly what he needs.

#5 lostjumper

• 965 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

Too bad this wasn't 3 months ago. With only a couple more games in the regular season not sure if he can play his way into shape and be a factor. Still, they desperately need size so it could be a small positive for them.

#6 Koufax

• 1,929 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

So what took them so long? This opportunity has been staring them in the face since the trade deadline.

#7 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,023 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

He's not eligible for the playoffs, correct?

#8 Statman

• 595 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

Too bad this wasn't 3 months ago. With only a couple more games in the regular season not sure if he can play his way into shape and be a factor. Still, they desperately need size so it could be a small positive for them.

Williams was playing regularly in the D-League this season so I'm sure he is in somewhat decent shape.

Williams was waived by Dallas before the trade deadline so he is playoff eligible for the Celtics.

Edited by Statman, 19 April 2012 - 08:36 PM.

#9 Frisbetarian

• ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

• 4,682 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

Per ESPN, "Because Williams was waived by Dallas before the league's March 23 deadline, he is eligible to play for Boston in the playoffs."

#10 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,023 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

That's pretty awesome that he's eligible for the playoffs. He could be a difference maker off the bench. Never hurts to have another athletic big who can block shots.

#11 Brickowski

• 3,723 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

I'm sure JaJuan Johnson is ecstatic about this move.

#12 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 11,302 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

I'm sure JaJuan Johnson is ecstatic about this move.

I'm sure JaJuan Johnson realizes he isn't going to see a minute in the playoffs.

#13 The_Powa_of_Seiji_Ozawa

• 4,322 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:51 AM

in his first couple pro games against Boston I thought he was gonna be legit, but regardless of what happened since then I'm glad they have him now...the tools are there for him to be a good fit on this team (and this team is a good fit for him).

Edited by The_Powa_of_Seiji_Ozawa, 20 April 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#14 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,736 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

Please keep him away from Bradley and Rondo outside of 48 minutes every other day

#15 Brickowski

• 3,723 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

Is the rumor true that Williams has been banned from the BC campus for life?

#16 BS_SoxFan

• 1,969 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

Is the rumor true that Williams has been banned from the BC campus for life?

No. When he was initially kicked off the team and left BC, the school filed a restraining order against him. When he attempted to come back for a game in 2009 he was arrested for trespassing. The trespassing charges were dropped after then-coach Al Skinner said he had invited Williams to the game and I think the school just dropped it after that.

Trespassing article: http://sportsillustr...ms.nets.arrest/

Charges dropped: http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3954685

#17 triniSox

• 1,127 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

I've seen some of him as a Mavs fan this season. He's definitely got big-time hops especially going up to block shots. He's somewhat undisciplined just guarding a guy in the post as too often he leaves his feet and bites on shot-fakes. Offensively, he's pretty clumsy but his leaping ability is good for a few alley-'oop opportunities.

He's still a project and I think if Dallas didn't have Brandan Wright and Mahimi (who both have had really good stretches at times backing up Haywood), they'd have kept him. In a team with strong defensive principles like the Celtics, I could see him developing some discipline of the defensive end. And whenever he's had the chance to play, he's played with high energy.

Definitely some upside there IMO.

#18 JakeRae

• SoSH Member

• 5,325 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

While KG and Rondo could be good for Williams, it's probably too late for that stuff to really matter.

This team badly needed another big in case of foul trouble. If they can get 10 minutes a game from him periodically without it killing them, that's about all you can ask from a pickup like this. It would've been nice if this had happened a month ago so we could see if KG could coach Williams up in practice and actually get him to contribute something.

#19 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,750 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

As a BC fan, I'm well-versed on Sean Williams' game. Hell, I even watched one of his NBDL games on TV last year. Here's the skinny on him:

Offense
Williams was EXTREMELY raw on offense when he came to BC - it was all putbacks or alleyoop dunks at first. He played with Craig Smith and Jared Dudley so he never got many touches. After he returned from his semester-long suspension, Williams had actually developed a pretty good baby hook and a turnaround jumper on the baseline. He loves to jump into the paint and elevate over his defender for his shot. Unfortunately, he never really progressed from that point 5 years ago so he'll never be much of a scorer at the NBA level even though he has the potential to be better. One thing I've always lamented about Williams (other than his attitude) is his weak hands. He never seems to have a great grasp of the basketball when he has it.

Defense
I'm not using hyperbole when I say that Sean Williams was one of the best shotblockers I've ever seen at the college level. His athleticism is off-the-charts but his timing is incredible. In our game against Villanova in 2006, he blocked Kyle Lowry's potential gamewinning 3 point shot. A 6'9 or 6'10 guy blocking a 6 ft guard's shot? Meh....except that he started in the paint and still covered the ground to the 3 point line. However, as is the case with most athletic shotblockers, he's more effective as a weakside defender than an on-the-ball defender. BC was a great defensive team during those years and that was all because he would basically erase any mistakes.

Rebounding
A very average rebounder. Going for blocks has a tendency to take him out of position for rebounds. At BC, it worked out perfectly because Craig Smith got the rebounds and Williams blocked the shots. With the Celtics, it could work if he plays with a guy like Bass.

Attitude
Everyone knows by now that he's a pot smoker and is very immature. He's just the classic example of someone who can't get out of his own way. During his last game at BC, he was literally stoned on the court - could barely function. We all knew that he was done after that. Now, I don't pretend to expect that he'll change but I'm hoping that the Celtics can get a year or 2 out of him before he fucks up again - basically, he could be our Bird Man if everything breaks right. More likely is that KG will kill him and dump his body in the Charles River.

#20 fairlee76

• 1,641 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

I like this move. Best case, he gives them energy and defense for 10 or so minutes a night. Worst case, he tries to hotbox the Celtics locker room and the team cuts him. Reality will probably be somewhere in the middle, but I don't see the downside of this move. In contrast to counting on Sheed or Shaq to report to camp in shape and stay healthy.

#21 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18,338 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

Sean is proof that even in the NBA there is a point where you can smoke too much pot to be able to play.

It will be interesting to see if Doc can do the impossible and motivate him to care about something other than his next high.

To echo what BSF said he was a remarkably good weak side shot blocker. I always felt he was well below average, or well below what he should have been as a man defender. And the weak side shot blocking does at times come at a price as he was frequently out of position for rebounding

#22 knucklecup

• hi, I'm a cuckold

• PipPip
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:59 AM

How did he play tonight in his 4 mins?

#23 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,750 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

How did he play tonight in his 4 mins?

Ran around aimlessly, as expected.