Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Tito to Attend Fenway's 100th

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#1 Gambler7

• 3,075 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

John Buccigross@Buccigross
Terry Francona says he WILL be attending the Red Sox's 100th anniversary celebration of Fenway Park on Friday afternoon.

He is going to eat this up. Good for him.

Edited by Gambler7, 18 April 2012 - 01:18 PM.

#2 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,692 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

ALIVE!!!!

That is very, very good news. He can get his thanks from the fans in person. I expect he'll receive the loudest ovation of the day BY FAR.

#3 Laser Show

• 3,375 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

He is going to eat this up. Good for him.

This makes me really, really happy. I'm going to make myself hoarse cheering for him.

#4 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 26,179 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

This makes me really, really happy. I'm going to make myself hoarse cheering for him.

So, you'll balance out Cafardo

#5 Yazdog8

• 3,959 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

So glad he decided to attend and I hope the fans shower him with the most thunderous applause of the day.

Now if we can only hire him to manage the rest of the season... :q:

#6 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,692 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

I'll bet Nick announces he won't attend now. :lol:

#7 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,627 posts

I'll bet Nick announces he won't attend now. :lol:

He needs a couple more days off like Pete.

#8 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

PANTALONES OFF

#9 JBill

• 1,944 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

This made my day, hated the thought of him being so alienated from the club. Glad he changed his mind.

Francona told ESPN on Wednesday that he believes he owes it to the fans to show up.

Edited by JBill, 18 April 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#10 Laser Show

• 3,375 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

He needs a couple more days off like Pete.

Neither seems to be as physically or emotionally into it as they used t- oh wait.

#11 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 18,172 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

The People's Champion Returns.

I wonder how quickly Lucky dispatches PeteAbe to write a hack piece on Francona.

#12 mauidano

• Mai Tais for everyone!

• 13,678 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

Can't what for this to happen and then pass. Too much drama. Tito acting like the jilted husband whining about how his ex-wife broke his heart with lies. It's a good story the first few times your buddy tells you it. But after awhile, it gets old and you want to slap him and scream, "Get the fuck over it and move on!" That being said, it will be a great and deserved moment Tito. Enjoy it and then STFU about it.

#13 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3,152 posts

Tito takes the high road. Good for him. Can't wait to see the response at Fenway.

#14 86spike

• Currently enjoying "Arli$$"

• 22,123 posts

It would be really hilarious if he filled an orange prescription bottle with tic tacs and conspicuously pulled it out and dumped a bunch into his mouth while being introduced. Then just smiled at the cameras.

#15 Buzzkill Pauley

• SoSH Member

• 5,267 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

Excellent news -- the difference between his reception and BobbyV's is going to be awesome.

Now, off to pop in that Cinderella tape from 1988.

#16 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23,531 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

It'll be cool to see him there but I'm kind of disappointed that he changed his mind.

#17 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,106 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

It would be really hilarious if he filled an orange prescription bottle with tic tacs and conspicuously pulled it out and dumped a bunch into his mouth while being introduced. Then just smiled at the cameras.

You're nuts.

They say you can never go home, but maybe after a year's hiatus, they can bring him back. Would that be too crazy, or what? Steinie brought Martin back, what, 3 or 4 times?

#18 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,373 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

Great news...look forward to a length standing ovation. hopefully, a "welcome back pedro" style video tribute too, please.

#19 Gene Conleys Plane Ticket

• 3,189 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

I'm very glad he finally came to his senses, even if he was a total drama queen about it.

The bitter old cynic in me says that he made this decision after the Bobby-Youkilis debacle, secure in the knowlege that his reception will smother his successor's. But I'm sure he wouldn't be that calculating. Would he?

In any case, I'm a big Scrooge about the Fenway 100 events anyway. The sooner it's over and we're back to the business of baseball, the better. If I want Red Sox history, I'll read "Red Sox Century" again. But I am glad that Tito at last decided to do the right thing here.

#20 mauidano

• Mai Tais for everyone!

• 13,678 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

You're nuts.

They say you can never go home, but maybe after a year's hiatus, they can bring him back. Would that be too crazy, or what? Steinie brought Martin back, what, 3 or 4 times?

You can never go home. If your wife cheated and lied to you and you had a nasty divorce, would you get back together with her? I don't care how good the sex was.

#21 jacklamabe65

• A New Frontier butt boy

• 6,038 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

Because he's going to be named manager of the Red Sox at that time? :lol:

#22 EddieYost

• has a special friend in GHoff

• 4,365 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

Because he's going to be named manager of the Red Sox at that time? :lol:

If I recall correctly the MFY did that back in the day, at an old timers game. Billy Martin ran out and the crowd cheered. Then they announced that at the end of the season Bob Lemon was going to move to the front office, and Billy would be back as manager. Then the crowd went nuts.

Or something like that.

#23 El Tiante

• 1,778 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

I'm glad he is attending. Tito deserves the cheers.

#24 bankshot1

• SoSH Member

• 7,777 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

You can never go home. If your wife cheated and lied to you and you had a nasty divorce, would you get back together with her? I don't care how good the sex was.

To stay in the analogy-screw the ex, but you still love the kids and the kids love you. And there will be no better time for a PDA for Tito and his fans.

#25 Rocco Graziosa

• owns the lcd soundsystem

• 11,335 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

ALIVE!!!!

That is very, very good news. He can get his thanks from the fans in person. I expect he'll receive the loudest ovation of the day BY FAR.

I expect the ovation to be the strongest and loudest since Ted Williams circa 1998.

#26 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

This is what I want to see:

When Bobby V goes to the mound to replace Clay with a reliever, Hacksaw Jim Duggan runs up behind him and wallops him on the back of the head with a 2x4. Duggan runs over to the Bennifer seats (where Tito has been placed) and raises Tito's arm, like at the end of a WWE/F pin, for another ovation. Then Duggan picks up Tito like a bride and carries him to the dugout.

#27 amh03

• Tippi Hedren

• 4,386 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

But it's not about going back to the wife. This is like attending your kid's graduation.

Friday is not about the owners...or really the players...or at least it shouldn't be. Friday is about the ballpark...and the folks attending should all keep that focus. I'm very excited that Francona will be attending and I'll be one of those cheering loudly. It's respectful to the park...he's a part of its history and belongs there.

#28 twothousandone

• 2,926 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

I expect the ovation to be the strongest and loudest since Ted Williams circa 1998.

It'll be in line with Garciaparra's. We need the chance to say goodbye to someone we love.

#29 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8,294 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

I wrote above that I thought he'd regret it if he didn't show up. I still think that and I bet he came around to that view himself.

Either way, good for him. And good for us.

In the end, I care a lot more that the Sox beat the hell out of the MFYs on Friday, but I'm still very happy that Terry will be part of the festivities.

#30 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 16,876 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

At this rate, they're gonna need him to pitch the 7th.

#31 Dick Pole Upside

• 3,415 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

This must mean they found the snitch! Win-win!

#32 Seabass177

• has an efficient neck

• 4,168 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

Great news. Everyone wants to see Tito back one more time.

#33 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

So glad he decided to attend and I hope the fans shower him with the most thunderous applause of the day.

Now if we can only hire him to manage the rest of the season... :q:

Bobby V kind of reminds me of Billy Martin back in his insane days with the Yankees. Billy was always one step from getting himself fired. I wouldn't put it past Bobby V to have a nervous breakdown on Friday afternoon when Tito gets his ringing endorsement from fans.

#34 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,405 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

Cafardo won't say anything. He'll be too busy stuffing a sausage-and-four-cheese calzone down his maw, like Newman on Seinfeld.

When Bobby V goes to the mound to replace Clay with a reliever, Hacksaw Jim Duggan runs up behind him and wallops him on the back of the head with a 2x4. Duggan runs over to the Bennifer seats (where Tito has been placed) and raises Tito's arm, like at the end of a WWE/F pin, for another ovation. Then Duggan picks up Tito like a bride and carries him to the dugout.

I'd rather see Tito vault over the seats, sprint to the mound, tear away his slacks & sport jacket to reveal a Sox unitard, and join in the epic beatdown before being triumphantly "carried" off the field -- riding piggyback on Pedroia while Tito's feet drag on the ground behind him.

I believe the one for Pedro at Opening Day in 2010 is the new standard.

#35 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5,644 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

Bobby V kind of reminds me of Billy Martin back in his insane days with the Yankees. Billy was always one step from getting himself fired. I wouldn't put it past Bobby V to have a nervous breakdown on Friday afternoon when Tito gets his ringing endorsement from fans.

Lack of confidence doesn't seem to be one of BV's flaws.

#36 HangingW/ScottCooper

• 1,062 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

ALIVE!!!!

It'll be in line with Garciaparra's. We need the chance to say goodbye to someone we love.

I believe the one for Pedro at Opening Day in 2010 is the new standard.

It will be loud, and this one has the added component of the will he/won't he show up component. I expect this to be the biggest introduction ovation we've ever heard.

#37 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16,781 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

Good for Tito. He made his point. They were jerks to stab him in the back and act like he should go on as though nothing happened.

The point's been made and now he'll get his deserved ovation.

#38 FortyFive

• is good people

• 919 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

Well, shoot, this may mean I actually have to go to this game now - to give the only manager in my lifetime to win a WS with the Sox a rousing standing ovation (coupled with what will likely be a stark contrast when they introduce Bobby V).

#39 HomeBrew1901

• Has Season 1 of "Manimal" on Blu Ray

• 8,359 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

Tito takes the high road.

I hope he is getting paid by Henry and Luccino to show up. I mean, he kind of has to be getting something out of it right, why else would he change his mind after complaining about it to CHB?

#40 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 26,179 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

At this rate, they're gonna need him to pitch the 7th.

http://guyism.com/sp...ce-fielder.html

#41 Rooster Crows

• 1,116 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

Truly delighted to hear it - so glad it worked out this way.

#42 HangingW/ScottCooper

• 1,062 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

I hope he is getting paid by Henry and Luccino to show up. I mean, he kind of has to be getting something out of it right, why else would he change his mind after complaining about it to CHB?

He was probably told, this is for the fans not the front office. He's going to get a huge ovation and he'll make the front office look bad. If I'm Tito, that's a nice FU to Larry and Henry.

#43 Remagellan

• 4,510 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

God bless him, Francona proved to be the bigger man after all.

While not the Bobby V scourge that many others are, my love for Tito is such that part of me will be praying that Francona will be introduced as the future manager of the Red Sox the way a recently-fired Billy Martin's rehiring was announced at the 1978 Old Timers Game at the Toilet.

(And yes I understand that such a move would undermine Bobby V and likely doom this season, but really the point is that Francona never should have been fired. The reaction to last September was much more harmful to the franchise than a couple of bad months of baseball ever should allowed to be considered to be by a well-run organization.)

#44 BoSoxLady

• Rules Red Sox Nation with an Iron Fist

• 2,941 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

This makes me incredibly happy. I was annoyed that Tito didn't understand how much the fans wanted him to attend.

Good for him for swallowing his pride for the day.

#45 Yaz4Ever

• Please hire me!

• 8,459 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

Tito takes the high road. Good for him. Can't wait to see the response at Fenway.

The high road would've been accepting the invitation in the first place, regardless of how you felt it was delivered. Regardless, I'm VERY happy he will be there and I, too, think we'll be seeing a record-breaking ovation when he steps on the field.

#46 Noah

• 3,168 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

I think the standard has to be Mariano Rivera in 2005.

#47 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 21,263 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

Can't what for this to happen and then pass. Too much drama. Tito acting like the jilted husband whining about how his ex-wife broke his heart with lies.

To stay in the analogy-screw the ex, but you still love the kids and the kids love you. And there will be no better time for a PDA for Tito and his fans.

Maybe the Red Sox got somebody besides the Bad Cop to issue the invitation. Kevin Youkilis was right: the Red Sox are a big happy family again -- even the exes are coming to Thanksgiving dinner. :unsure:

#48 kneemoe

• 1,920 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

One of the most useless bits of trivia you'll ever hear - Duggan still has the shotput record at my old HS

#49 Buzzkill Pauley

• SoSH Member

• 5,267 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

This series against the Rangers has absolutely cemented that Tito will be hailed as a conquering hero on Friday.

Good for him on testing to see which way the winds were blowing before making a decision.

#50 worm0082

• Penbis

• 2,966 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:53 AM

Here's that Martin intro everyone keeps referencing