Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

4/18 MiLB Gameday: Cook vs. Lannan

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,371 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:03 AM

Today's Games:

IL: Pawtucket (Aaron Cook) @ Syracuse (John Lannan) [6:05pm]
EL: Portland (Chris Hernandez) vs. New Britain (Steve Hirschfeld) [12:05pm]
CL: Salem (Drake Britton) vs. Lynchburg (Ronan Pacheco) [7:05pm]
SAL: Greenville (Matt Barnes) @ Lexington (TBD) [10:05am]
NYPL: Lowell - Season Begins June 18th.
GCL GCL Sox - Season Begins June 18th.
DSL DSL Sox - Season Begins Early June/Late May (No Schedule yet available)

Notes:

Shannon Wilkerson was removed yesterday after being hit on the finger. Says he should be fine.

Media:

MiLB TV
MiLB Radio

Local Media:

Pawsox: Providence Journal, Pawtucket Times

Seadogs: Portland Press Herald

Salem: Roanoke Times

Greenville: Greenville Online

Lowell: Lowell Sun

#2 jonasi

• 787 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

#3 Merkle's Boner

• 642 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

5 IP, 7 Ks, 0 BBs for Barnes again. Another day at the Sally office. Could it be his last?

#4 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

5 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 9 K
5 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 7 K
6 IP, 3 H, 0 BB, 9 K

#5 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,663 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

Refreshing to see pitchers who can strike people out.

#6 tonyarmasjr

• 565 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

5 IP, 7 Ks, 0 BBs for Barnes again. Another day at the Sally office. Could it be his last?

I hope so. He's got nothing to prove there. Would love to see him work his way up to Portland by the end of the season, and the longer he sits in Greenville, the less likely that is.

#7 MrDaniel

• 160 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

the successes of Barnes, Owens, Middlebrooks and Xander are making the brutal start by the major league team much easier to put up with. Help is on the way, even if most of it is a few years away.

#8 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,371 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

Drive win 4-2.

Boxscore

Matt Barnes went 6 innings, giving up 3 hits and a HBP; striking out 9. Jason Garcia went 3 innings, allowing 2 runs on 3 hits (1 HR) and a walk; striking out 4.

Garin Cecchini went 1/1 with 3 walks and a SB. Blake Swihart went 2/4 with a double and a walk. Henry Ramos went 1/3 with a HBP and a CS. Keury de la Cruz and David Renfroe each went 1/4. Boss Moanaroa went 0/2 with 2 walks. Bryan Johns went 0/3 with 2 walks and a CS. Nick Natoli went 0/3 with a HBP and a CS. Lucas LeBlanc went 0/4.

#9 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,371 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

Seadogs walk off with a 2-1 victory.

Boxscore

Chris Hernandez went 5 2/3 innings, allowing an unearned run on 3 hits, a walk, a HBP and 2 WPs; striking out 8. Charle Rosario went 3 1/3 innings, walking one and striking out 4.

Reynaldo Rodriguez went 1/2 with a walk. Derrik Gibson went 1/3 with a walk. Jeremy Hazelbaker went 1/3 with a PO/CS. Oscar Tejeda went 1/4 with a double. Ronald Bermudez went 1/1 after replacing Bryce Brentz who went 0/3 (and was ejected in the 8th). Kolbrin Vitek and Juan Carlos Linares each went 0/3 with a walk. Heiker Meneses and Jayson Hernandez each went 0/3.

9th Inning:
  • Pitcher Change: Luis Perdomo replaces Blake Martin.
  • Derrik Gibson walks.
  • Kolbrin Vitek walks. Derrik Gibson to 2nd.
  • Oscar Tejeda doubles (3) on a fly ball to center fielder Mark Dolenc. Derrik Gibson scores. Kolbrin Vitek to 3rd.
  • Luis Perdomo intentionally walks Juan Carlos Linares.
  • Ronald Bermudez singles on a fly ball to left fielder Estarlin De Los Santos. Kolbrin Vitek scores. Oscar Tejeda to 3rd. Juan Carlos Linares to 2nd.

#10 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 10,867 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

Rob Bradford @bradfo
Crawford went 1 for 3 with a home run today. Still restriction on throwing due to elbow, not wrist

#11 The Best Catch in 100 Years

• 722 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

I hope so. He's got nothing to prove there. Would love to see him work his way up to Portland by the end of the season, and the longer he sits in Greenville, the less likely that is.

Yeah, I don't get why they're starting all these elite-program high-draft-pick college pitchers in low-A. Does anyone else do this?

#12 Buzzkill Pauley

• SoSH Member

• 5,268 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

Yeah, I don't get why they're starting all these elite-program high-draft-pick college pitchers in low-A. Does anyone else do this?

About a year ago, I believe Farm Director Mike Hazen explained it was considered the most appropriate level to get these guys conditioned into the routine of pitching in games every five days, rather than based on the day of the week, without worrying too much about on-field results.

It might not be this episode, but I'm pretty sure I heard it on one of Speier's excellent "Minor Details" podcasts, related to a question about Ranaudo.

#13 JakeRae

• SoSH Member

• 5,311 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

Buzzkill already answered the main question. I just want to add that you likely won't see this anymore with the new signing deadline. These guys are going to end up in Lowell in their signing season and will likely start in High-A the following season, as a general rule.

As for Barnes, I'm definitely already on the record that he should receive a promotion very soon, if not now. He's dominant enough that he should have no trouble fully dialing in an every 5th day schedule in Salem instead of Greenville. I'm hoping for him to push through Salem quickly too and get some real time in at AA this year. Having Barnes and/or Ranaudo knocking on the door by the middle of next season would do wonders for the MLB starting pitching depth situation.

#14 The Best Catch in 100 Years

• 722 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

Thanks guys, that all makes a lot of sense. I do wonder whether advanced-A is really that different than low-A as far as the importance of on-field results goes--isn't there a certain amount of pressure on a top pick coming out of an elite college program to dominate right out of the chute in the SAL that wouldn't be there at a more advanced level? I guess a couple of extra weeks in low A probably aren't going to make or break anyone's career, but leaving Ranaudo and Workman there last year, for 10 starts in Ranaudo's case, and the entire season in Workman's, did seem a little excessive.

#15 tonyarmasjr

• 565 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

Any word yet on a Ranaudo debut?

#16 Detts

• 859 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

Buzzkill already answered the main question. I just want to add that you likely won't see this anymore with the new signing deadline. These guys are going to end up in Lowell in their signing season and will likely start in High-A the following season, as a general rule.

As for Barnes, I'm definitely already on the record that he should receive a promotion very soon, if not now. He's dominant enough that he should have no trouble fully dialing in an every 5th day schedule in Salem instead of Greenville. I'm hoping for him to push through Salem quickly too and get some real time in at AA this year. Having Barnes and/or Ranaudo knocking on the door by the middle of next season would do wonders for the MLB starting pitching depth situation.

I wasn't in the 'send him north' camp at first as I buy into the 'get used to every 5 days vs. 7 days, but Barnes is not 2011 Renaudo. Renaudo had no clue where his ball was going vs. the outstanding starts of Barnes.

Kinda sucks from a greedy point of view on my part as we'll miss him on the short homestand coming up, however I SHOULD get to see Owens on Sunday barring a rotation shuffle. Barnes wouldn't start again until his 3rd start from today, and I'm starting to doubt he'll make it that long with the Drive.

#17 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,409 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

Britton got tattooed again tonight. After Rich Hill had a perfect first inning, striking out the side in a rehab stint, Drake's line was 4 IP, 7 ER, 6 H, 2 BB, 2 HR, 4 K. This after 8 ER on 8 H over 4.1 IP in his first start on 4/7.

#18 Buzzkill Pauley

• SoSH Member

• 5,268 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

Britton got tattooed again tonight. After Rich Hill had a perfect first inning, striking out the side in a rehab stint, Drake's line was 4 IP, 7 ER, 6 H, 2 BB, 2 HR, 4 K. This after 8 ER on 8 H over 4.1 IP in his first start on 4/7.

Yep, Britton's inching closer to the Dan Bard HWL experience.

#19 NoLastCall125

• 531 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

Middlebrooks with another solid game. 3-4 with a HR and a walk.

Cook pitched well too...8 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 0 K(!)...he's going to force the Sox to make a difficult decision May 1st.

#20 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,371 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

Pawsox win 6-1 in 11 innings.

Boxscore

Aaron Cook went 8 innings, allowing a run on 2 hits, 4 walks (1 IBB) and a WP. Clayton Mortenson went 2 innings, giving up a hit and a walk; striking out 2. Chorye Spoon went an inning, giving up 2 hits.

Will Middlebrooks went 3/4 with a HR and a walk. Che-Hsuan Lin went 3/5 with a double, a walk and a SB. Ryan Lavarnway went 3/6. Mauro Gomez, Tony Thomas and Josh Kroeger each went 1/5; Gomez with a HBP. Daniel Nava went 1/6. Jon Hee and Alex Hassan each went 0/4 with a walk.

#21 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,371 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

Salem loses 11-9.

Boxscore

Rich Hill pitched a perfect inning, striking out the side. Drake Britton went 4 innings, allowing 7 runs on 6 hits (2 HRs), 2 walks and a WP; striking out 4. Scott Swinson went 1 2/3 innings, allowing 4 runs on 5 hits; striking out 2. Andrew Jones went 2 1/3 innings, giving up 2 hits and a WP; striking out 2.

Christian Vazquez went 2/3 with a walk and a SF. Jackie Bradley went 2/4 with 2 walks and a SB. Sean Coyle went 2/5 with a walk. Travis Shaw went 2/6 with a double. Xander Bogaerts went 1/3 with a double, 2 walks and a SB. Felix Sanchez went 1/4 with a SF. Michael Almanzar and Carson Blair each went 1/5; Blair with a triple. Brandon Jacobs went 0/5 with a walk.

#22 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,663 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

Love the plate approach of most of our top A-ball prospects.

#23 djhb20

• 1,547 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

Britton got tattooed again tonight. ... Drake's line was 4 IP, 7 ER, 6 H, 2 BB, 2 HR, 4 K. This after 8 ER on 8 H over 4.1 IP in his first start on 4/7.

While it's generally true that emulating major leaguers may be the way to make it to the show, I don't think this is really what that means.

#24 Plympton91

• loco parentis

• 6,556 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

Cook pitched well too...8 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 0 K(!)...he's going to force the Sox to make a difficult decision May 1st.

4 BB and 0 K's? I don't think it's too difficult. I see no reason to prefer Cook over Duckworth or Miller, let alone over Doubront and Bard.

#25 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,371 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

STORIES

PAWSOX

Game Story

Although the final score would suggest otherwise, for the second straight night, fans in Syracuse were treated to a fabulous pitchers' duel at Alliance Bank Stadium, as Pawtucket prevailed 6-1. The game was tied 1-1 heading into the 11th inning when Jon Hee walked with the bases loaded, Che-Hsuan Lin doubled, knocking in three runs and Ryan Lavarnway singled in the final tally. There was a close call in the bottom of the tenth, but Lin gunned down the potential winning run at home plate with a perfect throw from center field.

Syracuse took a 1-0 lead as Josh Johnsons' fielders choice knocked in a run in the third inning. The PawSox answered with a homer from Will Middlebrooks, his fourth of the season. That came in the sixth.

Aaron Cook pitched very well, although he didn't figure in the decision. Cook worked 8 innings giving up just 2 hits and a run. Lefty John Lannan surrendered a single run in 6 innings for the Chiefs. Clayton Mortensen notched the win with a pair of shutout innngs of relief for the PawSox.(9-5).

SEADOGS

Game Story

But when starting outfielder Bryce Brentz was ejected in the seventh inning for arguing a called third strike, Bermudez hopped off the bench and joined the game.
"He's always ready to play," Portland Manager Kevin Boles said.
Good thing.
Bermudez did not come to bat until the ninth inning -- with the bases loaded and the game tied 1-1.
"I was ready for any pitch," Bermudez. "He threw me a fastball inside -- RBI."
Bermudez swatted a single off the left-field wall to score Kolbrin Vitek from third base for a 2-1 win over the New Britain Rock Cats (10-4).
The Sea Dogs (4-10) did not have a runner reach third base until the ninth inning when New Britain closer Luis Perdomo (0-2) came on with a 1-0 lead.
He walked Derrik Gibson and Vitek to start the inning, then gave up a tying double to Oscar Tejeda, who just missed clearing the left-field wall.
With runners on second and third, Juan Carlos Linares was intentionally walked, bringing up Bermudez, who was just added to Portland's active roster on Saturday after Peter Hissey broke his hand.
"I get my opportunity and I play hard," Bermudez said.

SALEM

Game Story

BROOM-FREE: The Salem Red Sox fell short of a three-game sweep of Lynchburg, losing 11-9 to the Hillcats on Wednesday at chilly Salem Memorial Ballpark.
RAINING HITS: The game was delayed 19 minutes by daylong showers that eventually passed, but pitchers on both sides probably would have preferred the game were called. The Sox and Hillcats combined for 25 hits and four errors.
THE BIG ONE: Edward Salcedo's RBI double keyed a four-run seventh inning that gave Lynchburg the lead for good.
NOTES AND NUMBERS: Salem LHP Drake Britton breezed through two scoreless innings before the Hillcats touched him up for seven runs on six hits and two walks over the next two. ... Jackie Bradley Jr. reached base four times to raise his OBP to .469. ... Travis Shaw and Christian Vazquez each had two hits and two RBIs for the Sox.

DRIVE

Game Story

The transition to professional baseball continued to be seamless for Greenville Drive pitcher Matt Barnes on Wednesday.
Barnes, the 19th overall pick in the MLB draft by the Boston Red Sox last summer, brought his professional scoreless streak to 16 innings, limiting Lexington to three hits in six innings while striking out nine to lead Greenville to a 4-2 victory at Whitaker Bank Park.

Barnes, 21, improved to 2-0. In 16 innings, he has allowed only six hits and two walks and has 25 strikeouts.
For five innings, Lexington pitchers Jonas Dufek and Nathan Pettus matched Barnes, holding the Drive hitless though they walked four batters and hit two others.
Greenville broke through to put Barnes in position for the win in the sixth. Blake Swihart, the No. 26 pick in the 2011 draft, led off with a double, and Pettus walked the next two batters. Henry Ramos followed with a two-run single, and Keury De La Cruz followed with a single to drive in a third run.
Barnes then struck out two of his final three batters, and Jason Garcia pitched the final three innings to get his second save.

#26 mabrowndog

• 38,409 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:57 AM

nm

Edited by mabrowndog, 19 April 2012 - 11:39 AM.

#27 Buzzkill Pauley

• SoSH Member

• 5,268 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

Jackie Bradley Jr. reached base four times to raise his OBP to .469

Do you (or anyone, for that matter) know why Sac Flies are not being used in the calculation of OBP here? Is it a minor-league thing?

I've got JBJ at this line through last night: .316/.420/.368, 12 H, 9 BB, 7 SO, 3 SF, 10 RBI, 3 SB, 1 CS.

While a .469 OBP might sound studlier, I actually like his 3 SF at this level as a counterbalancing point to his low slugging pct.

JBJ's leading the team in Sac Flies as well as RBI, while only having hit 2 x 2B for extra bases. This suggests to me that he will deliberately adjust his plate approach from "table setter" (K/BB<1) to "run-producer" (10 RBI in 12 H) as the situation warrants, even considering the more advanced pitching of high-A ball and his lack of recent competitive experience with wood bats.

Of course, whether he can continue doing so through a full season is another question entirely -- it's still silly early in the season to be making that kind of statement, after all. But of course, I thought this guy was a steal as a supplemental-round guy, have been high on him since draft day, and plan to take the JBJ bandwagon out for a spin later on today. So my bias here will be showing.

#28 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17,371 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

Do you (or anyone, for that matter) know why Sac Flies are not being used in the calculation of OBP here? Is it a minor-league thing?

No... more simple than that. The writer did the calculation himself and forgot to add HBPs and SFs. Simply divided H+BB/PA.

MiLB.Com has his OBP at .453 which is correct with 3 SFs and a HBP.

#29 Buzzkill Pauley

• SoSH Member

• 5,268 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

No... more simple than that. The writer did the calculation himself and forgot to add HBPs and SFs. Simply divided H+BB/PA. MiLB.Com has his OBP at .453 which is correct with 3 SFs and a HBP.

Thanks -- I missed the HBP going through the line scores.

#30 Quintanariffic

• 4,416 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

Huh?

While it's sometimes true that posting vague and pointless snark can be illuminating and instructive, I don't think this is really what that means.

My guess is that he was referring to the ill-advised emulation of the Red Sox pitching staff rather than being snarky.

#31 mabrowndog

• 38,409 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

My guess is that he was referring to the ill-advised emulation of the Red Sox pitching staff rather than being snarky.

Thanks. Makes sense. Apologies to djhb.