Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

4/16 - Bruins @ Caps

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
812 replies to this topic

#801 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12225 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:31 AM

The Backstrom crosscheck at the end does not pass the smell test of playoff-suspension-worthy. It was extreme in it's unneccessary-ness but not in it's violence.

#802 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9416 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:57 AM

A little late on some of the comments, but here are my thoughts:

The reason Alzner didn't get a third man in was because it wasn't a fight. It was a classic playoff scrum in which it is typical for guys to jump in and out. I can't find a replay, but watching it live, my impression was (and is) that Alzner wasn't trying to jump or tag team Lucic. I think he was trying to legitimately break up the scrum -- it's a very common tactic to see guys wrap up opponents to settle things down. I don't know that Lucic deserved an extra penalty, but for those saying he didn't do anything, I'm almost positive based on my recollection that he initiated by throwing the first punch (into Hendricks' face) that escalated the entire ordeal.

On a related note, I don't think Alzner is that kind of player. He apologized after the game to Marchand for an elbow that was apparently minor enough that I (and others) can't seem to figure out when it even occurred. On a related note to that, Marchand is damn near as bad as Kesler right now. What Chimera did was unacceptable and I'm disappointed in the move, but Marchand needs to grow up, too, and cut the shenanigans.

As for Backstrom, another disappointing decision. He's been running hot this series for whatever reason as a guy that is usually pretty level and cool. I don't know if it's just typical frustration that builds over a tight playoff series or it's more specifically driven anger over some calls that haven't gone his way. I know he was trying to get back at Peverley for taking Ovechkin down, but the placement of that cross check was just a dumb move. If that stick were a bit lower, nobody would have even noticed and it would have been run-of-the-mill. Luckily, Peverley was totally fine. As for if he sits a game or not, who knows? I can't see how what Backstrom did was worse than what Weber did. Based on the precedent of the playoffs, I'd guess he doesn't but have given up guessing on Shanahan.

Unfortunately, it's a long time until Thursday...

Lucic is a hot head, but he did not start that scrum. Wideman did. After the whistle, Wideman gave Lucic a shot to the ribs from behind so Lucic didn't see him. Lucic turned and grabbed Hendricks and they started to engage , when Alzner came over and grabbed Lucic by the neck. I'm sorry, that's a BS play by Alzner. It's not a 3rd man in because it wasn't a fight, but Lucic and Hendricks were clearly engaged and Alzner just decided to pile on. His taunt afterwards would seem to indicate that he wasn't going over there to calm things down and play peacemaker. I don't know why he would do this, I don't think it is in the Caps best interests to get into a physical series with a lot of scrums. They're better off keeping things calm like in the first 2 games.

I agree with you on the Backstrom penalty. It was dumb to get the stick up high, but I don't see any malicious intent. Hopefully the suspension is rescinded.

#803 Zososoxfan

• 1453 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

I don't know why he would do this, I don't think it is in the Caps best interests to get into a physical series with a lot of scrums. They're better off keeping things calm like in the first 2 games.

I think this is an interesting question. All 3 games have obviously been very close, but game 3 was decidedly different in terms of the number of goals scored, the chippy-ness, and hitting generally. While I would generally say the Bruins benefit from tight defensive contests, I think it's plausible that a more open game will loosen up the Caps D while the Bruins can keep their D in line better in a more up-and-down game.

#804 TheShynessClinic

• SoSH's Doug Neidermeyer

• 5828 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

I hate not being able to grow facial hair all that well. I currently look like a douchier version of Tomas Plekanic (minus the turtleneck) while trying to grow out my playoff beard.

#805 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4593 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

You and goyang should get together and cry about it.

#806 NickEsasky

• Code Name: Duchess

• 6767 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

I hate not being able to grow facial hair all that well. I currently look like a douchier version of Tomas Plekanic (minus the turtleneck) while trying to grow out my playoff beard.

Do you feel like less of a man not being able to grow a full luxurious beard? Because you should. I enjoy growing out a nice beard just because I can. I also own many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

#807 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 7182 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

Do you feel like less of a man not being able to grow a full luxurious beard? Because you should. I enjoy growing out a nice beard just because I can. I also own many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

You also have an IQ of 48 and are what some people call "mentally retarded".

#808 NickEsasky

• Code Name: Duchess

• 6767 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

You also have an IQ of 48 and are what some people call "mentally retarded".

Two things that made me overqualified for BC

#809 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4593 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

SNAP

#810 kenneycb

• 7182 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

Two things that made me overqualified for BC

Did you get raped by an eagle or something at a younger age?

#811 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 16816 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

You didn't know about his fling with Brady Smith?

#812 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12225 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

I think this is an interesting question. All 3 games have obviously been very close, but game 3 was decidedly different in terms of the number of goals scored, the chippy-ness, and hitting generally. While I would generally say the Bruins benefit from tight defensive contests, I think it's plausible that a more open game will loosen up the Caps D while the Bruins can keep their D in line better in a more up-and-down game.

I strongly disagree with the bolded. They are not nearly precise and creative enough with their offensive sets to score goals in a tight, plodding game. Their offense is helped when they lengthen the ice and create turnovers with active forechecking (particularly the MBS line) that's based more in speed and stickwork around the dots rather than banging bodies behind the offensive goal. Having the forwards be aggressive up-ice doesn't hurt the defense because the goaltending, defense, and system is usually so good. Games that turn into up-and-down races favor the B's because Thomas will, generally, make more saves than the other guy. When they are set up in the offensive zone they have trouble causing problems for the opposing goalie.

#813 kenneycb

• 7182 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

You didn't know about his fling with Brady Smith?

And here I thought he had a fling with the BU hockey team.