But Francona seemed uneasy around his former team — “It’s a little awkward for me,” he said — and had a few pointed words for Red Sox principal owner John Henry, who phoned him a few weeks ago after not returning his calls earlier in the offseason.
“It was probably five months too late,” Francona said. “We talked. It doesn’t matter anymore. That’s what I kind of told him. I said, ‘We should have had this conversation a long time ago because anything you say now doesn’t matter.’ But he was good.”
Moreover, Francona said he hasn’t been asked to attend the 100th anniversary celebration of Fenway Park on April 20. He isn’t awaiting an invitation either.
“I’m not quite ready for the hugs yet,” he said. “I’m still trying to stop the bleeding.”
On the one hand, it sounds like the emotional wounds are still too raw for him to be truly comfortable with being around the Sox right now. On the other....how the HELL can the ownership exclude him from the 100th Anniversary ceremonies? That's unacceptable to me, if true.
“When I left, I thought I would just leave,” Francona said. “What happened after that hurt me a lot. It probably always will. The best thing to do is try to move on. Carrying grudges and stuff like that, that’s not real healthy. I spent eight years there, and we did a lot of good stuff. That hurt me a little bit.”
Obviously he's still pretty upset about the "whoring pill popper" story in the Globe. Frankly I can't blame him.
Lots of other info there. Check it out.