Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Monitor Trouble - Peek-A-Boo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 There is no Rev

• through the velvety hallway

• 23,806 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

I have an LCD monitor that keeps going out in a way that I don't understand and I want to know if it is correctable or fixable, so any helpo will be much appreciated.

Whenever I turn it on it comes on just fine, full frame, focus, color, etc. Then after maybe 30 seconds or so it begins subtly to start to flicker a bit. Not such that it goes all black and then back on, but in a way that makes the picture feel shaky. And then it goes out.

If I turn it off and back on, it comes right back on, but then does the same thing. Also, if it is "out" but receives a new signal, like if it's attached to a laptop and I open the laptop which signals to it to be an extended monitor, it comes back on and then does the same thing.

General info: It's less than three years old. I know it took a knock while moving as there are broken pixels. But that was last August and I haven't had any trouble with it since.

Is this correctable?

Thanks in advance.

#2 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 34,592 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

LCD monitors are generally pieces of shit. We replace more monitors than any piece of equipment.

Try updating your drivers of your video card. It's a long shot. I assume you've checked cables and stuff.

#3 There is no Rev

• 23,806 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

LCD monitors are generally pieces of shit. We replace more monitors than any piece of equipment.

Try updating your drivers of your video card. It's a long shot. I assume you've checked cables and stuff.

Good tip.

In fact, though, I'm increasingly sure it is the cable. the problem is, it's the non-removable end attached to the computer--as you say, this particular piece of shit has an non-disconnectable monitor cable. I finally unscrewed the monitor from the stand and didn't just check the cable so much as shoved it upwards into the monitor and it came back on. And if I drive it up in and lay it flat it stays on longer before going out. This doesn't explain to me why it will go back on if I turn it off and back on of course. Maybe it's shutting off when it senses the signal change when it feels it "disconnect."

Of course, this is non-modular and doesn't have any way to pull it out and put in a new cable. Should I take that to mean that this thing isn't built to be repaired as well? Goddamn throw-away culture.

#4 BroodsSexton

• 4,811 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

It's cancer.

#5 There is no Rev

• 23,806 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

It's cancer.

It's been euthanized. Unless I misread the what appears to have been two very large sparks or two tiny explosions

#6 Orange Julia

• kittens kitttens kittens kittens

• 10,362 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

You should just move back east.