Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

4/11 MiLB Gameday: Seadogs in the morning

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17030 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:36 AM

Today's Games:

IL: Pawtucket (Justin Germano) @ Rochester (Scott Diamond) [7:05pm]
EL: Portland (Chris Martin) @ Trenton (Shaeffer Hall) [10:35am]
CL: Salem (Keith Couch) @ Lynchburg (Cody Martin) [6:05pm]
SAL: Greenville (Luis Diaz) vs Hickory (Luke Jackson) [4:05pm]
NYPL: Lowell - Season Begins June 18th.
GCL GCL Sox - Season Begins June 18th.
DSL DSL Sox - Season Begins Early June/Late May (No Schedule yet available)

Notes:

Andrew Miller will continue rehabbing in Pawtucket. Rich Hill will next pitch for Salem.

Media:

MiLB TV
MiLB Radio

Local Media:

Pawsox: Providence Journal, Pawtucket Times

Seadogs: Portland Press Herald

Salem: Roanoke Times

Greenville: Greenville Online

Lowell: Lowell Sun

#2 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:28 AM

There are some players really due for a nice day:

Posted Image

#3 Carl Everetts Therapist

• yossarian

• PipPip
  • 1558 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

In this early season the pitching prospects have looked spectacular (especially the 2011 draftees and everyone but Britton), while the young hitters that we've all been so high on have looked pretty crappy.... I know it's still a miniscule sample... Just saying the Org. that was so "position player" heavy now looks a whole lot more balanced with Barnes and Owens impressing in their debuts.....

Swihart is special though, I get a little woody thinking about a Barnes/Swichuck battery

#4 Buzzkill Pauley

• SoSH Member

• 5044 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

There are some players really due for a nice day:

I know it's early, but hot damn that JBJ must know how to work a count.

.474 OBP to go with a .167 AVG?

Edited by Buzzkill Pauley, 11 April 2012 - 09:26 AM.

#5 someoneanywhere

• 3144 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

In this early season the pitching prospects have looked spectacular (especially the 2011 draftees and everyone but Britton), while the young hitters that we've all been so high on have looked pretty crappy.... I know it's still a miniscule sample... Just saying the Org. that was so "position player" heavy now looks a whole lot more balanced with Barnes and Owens impressing in their debuts.....

Swihart is special though, I get a little woody thinking about a Barnes/Swichuck battery

Let's not get too woodified at Henry just yet. He's got some things, no question. But he followed two big-leaguers throwing seeds, and while he punched out 7 dudes, said dudes were getting punched out all weekend. Barnes will pitch in Greenville, probably, according to the Ranaudo schedule -- mainly to get him acclimated to going out there every 5 days. We'll know something more telling when he gets to Salem.

#6 Carl Everetts Therapist

• yossarian

• PipPip
  • 1558 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

as much as I do think Owens is the real deal (or at least a high upside Lefty with a live arm and from what I've read a great make-up), my woodification comes from the thoughts of Barnes pitching to Swihart in Boston for the next decade (albeit I understand it would start around 2014 more or less)....... Swihart may eventually move out from behind the plate, but he should hit enough for any other position he would play.

I just have a rational/irrational love for the top of the 2011 draft... While I understand that a lot of the picks were no-brainers, I think it may have been the last great thing Theo was a part of as GM..... Barnes, Owens, Bradley Jr. and Swihart all have the ceilings of future stars...... Obviously odds are they wont all hit... I like the farm a lot, when you add these guys to Bogaerts, Brentz, Middlebrooks, Jacobs and to a lesser extent Ranaudo, there's a lot to be excited about and it should be a lot of fun watching these guys develope.

Edited by Carl Everetts Therapist, 11 April 2012 - 10:58 AM.

#7 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17030 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

Seadogs lose 10-1.

Boxscore

Chris Martin went 4 2/3 innings, allowing 2 runs (1 earned) on 3 hits (1 HR), a walk and a HBP; striking out 5. Will Latimer went 2 2/3 innings, allowing 5 runs on 6 hits; striking out 2. Michael Lee went 2/3rds of an inning, allowing 3 runs on 3 hits and a walk.

Oscar Tejeda went 2/4 with SB. Ryan Dent went 1/2 with a SF. Peter Hissey went 1/3. Juan Carlos Linares, Kolbrin Vitek, and Jon Hee each went 1/4; Vitek with a double. Derrik Gibson, Bryce Brentz and Matt Spring each went 0/4.

#8 jonasi

• 787 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

#9 Detts

• 808 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

Well, that was a shock. Just tried to buy a walk up ticket to the Drive game behind home plate and was told all sections behind home this year are reserved for season ticket holders.

Looks like I'll be doing some standing back there this year.

#10 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17030 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

Pawsox lose 2-1.

Boxscore

Justin Germano went 5 innings, allowing 2 runs on 6 hits and a HBP; striking out 2. Tony Pena went 3 innings, giving up 2 hits and striking out 3.

Ryan Lavarnway went 2/4 with a double. Pedro Ciriaco, Jose Iglesias, Mauro Gomez and Will Middlebrooks each went 1/4; Ciriaco with a walk, Gomez with a double. Lars Anderson, Daniel Nava, Che-Hsuan Lin and Alex Hassan each went 0/3 with a walk; Lin with a SB.

#11 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17030 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

Salem loses 4-1.

Boxscore

Keith Couch went 5 innings, allowing 4 runs on 7 hits, a walk and a WP; striking out 8. Andrew Jones went 2 innings, allowing 4 hits. Michael Olmsted pitched an inning, striking out one.

Brandon Jacobs went 3/4 with a double and a SB. Adalberto Ibarra went 1/2 with a double and a walk. Shannon Wilkerson and Travis Shaw each went 1/4; Wilkerson with a triple. Xander Bogaerts went 0/2 with 2 walks. James Kang went 0/3 with a CS. Michael Almanzar went 0/3 before being pinch hit for by Drew Hedman who went 0/1. Christian Vazquez and Jackie Bradley each went 0/4.

#12 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17030 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

Drive make it an 0-5 day, losing 5-3.

Boxscore

Luis Diaz went 5 innings, allowing 4 runs (2 earned) on 6 hits, a walk and a WP; striking out 6. Nefi Ogando went 2 innings, giving up a hit and a walk. Justin Erasmus went 2 innings, allowing a run on 2 hits, a walk, a HBP and 2 WPs; striking out 2.

Lucas LeBlanc went 1/3 with a double and a walk. David Renfroe and Keury de la Cruz each went 1/4; Renfroe with a double. Jose Garcia went 0/2 with 2 walks and a SB. Jose Vinicio went 0/3 with a walk. Blake Swihart, Garin Cecchini, Henry Ramos and Boss Moanaroa each went 0/4.

#13 Detts

• 808 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

It turns out the reason for the 'season tickets only behind home' is because they added 'waitress service' to those sections.

OK..good luck with that.

3 errors in the first ended up providing 3 runs. One was an attempted steal of 3rd that was close to being on the money, but Cecchini allowed it to hit the bag and bounce away. Swihart did throw out an additional runner trying to take 3rd.

It was wicked cold tonight for Greenville...50 degrees and a pretty strong wind blowing in from center making it even colder. My takeaways were that Diaz is a tough kid who wants to win, Cecchini is still raw (can't free him yet Scout), Head has a better baseball body than Moanaroa, and Vinicio is a waterbug who is intriguing.

And even though Swihart worked the count to 3-1 with the bases loaded...and then watched strike 2, followed by swinging at 3 at his eyes...and also flying out with 2 outs and men on 2nd and 3rd...dear gosh he looks good.

Note: I am not a professional, I only play one on TV. Any resemblance to observations made by real scouts, living or dead, are purely coincidental.

#14 Cuzittt

• Bouncing with Anger

• 17030 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:41 AM

STORIES

PAWSOX

Game Story

A trio of Rochester pitchers limited the PawSox to 6 base hits on Wednesday night, topping Pawtucket 2-1. Starter Scott Diamond fired 6 shutout innijngs at the Sox. Diamond (2-0) has not allowed a run in his first 12 and a third innings of work in 2012. Esmerling Vasquez was good for two shutout frames and Anthony Slama notched his third save in three tries with a scoreless ninth. The lone PawSox run came in the eighth as Ryan Lavarnway and Mauro Gomez belted back to back doubles. Lavarnway also had a single.

Justin Germano (1-1) was tagged with the loss. Germano allowed the two runs in five innings of work. He had two strikeouts and no walks. Tony Pena Jr. looked solid with three innings of relief. Pena surrendered just two hits. Former Pawtucket first baseman Aaron Bates had an RBI single and a double for Rochester

SEADOGS

Game Story

So shortstop Derrik Gibson was happy to break spring training with the Portland Sea Dogs after spending last season at Class A Salem. But he had to sit out the first six games after, of all things, having his wisdom teeth removed.
Gibson finally made his Double-A debut Wednesday in Portland's 10-1 loss to the Trenton Thunder at Waterfront Park.
It wasn't a memorable opening for Gibson, who was Boston's second-round pick in the 2008 draft; he went 0 for 4 with an error.
"I feel like it was bad timing," Gibson said of the tooth problem. "Coming out of spring training you're geared up to get ready to play. I was excited to go up to Portland but I had that little setback. It happens. It's one of those uncontrollable things that you can't really predict.
"I'm just looking forward to keep pushing on."
Already having missed the last week and without the regular game-day routine of batting and fielding practice due to the 10:35 a.m. start, Gibson admitted to some rust.
"I was just trying to work out some jitters," he said. "It's hard to work on stuff in batting practice. It's easier once you get in the game. It helps you relax and get back into a routine."

SALEM

Game Story

Salem's Brandon Jacobs broke out of his early-season slump with three hits Wednesday, but it wasn't nearly enough as the Red Sox dropped their fourth straight game in a 4-1 loss to Lynchburg at City Stadium.
Jacobs accounted for half Salem's hits as the Hillcats outhit the Sox 11-6. Lynchburg (5-0) is off to its best start since becoming the Hillcats in 1995.
Lynchburg starter Cody Martin pitched five scoreless innings to get the victory.

DRIVE

Game Story

The visiting Hickory Crawdads came out of the gates on fire against the Greenville Drive at Fluor Field Wednesday night. The Crawdads scored three first-inning runs and rode outstanding pitching to a 5-3 victory in front of 4,790.
“That first inning kind of took us out of the game,” said Greenville manager Carlos Febles. “We got down 3-0 early and the way we’re swinging lately, it is hard to overcome.”
The loss ended Greenville’s first home stand of the season with 4-3 record, while the Crawdads improved to 5-2. Hickory won two of the three games in the series.
Greenville starter Luis Diaz was greeted rudely as Crawdads leadoff batter Chris Grayson opened with a double to center. He immediately stole third and scored when Drive catcher Blake Swihart’s throw got away from third baseman Garin Cecchini.
The Crawdads were far from done, however. With two out, right fielder Zachary Cone tripled to right and scored when first baseman Boss Moanaroa fumbled a grounder hit by designated hitter Kevin Torres.
Catcher Jorge Alfaro reached when Greenville center fielder Henry Ramos dropped a deep fly ball.
Hickory was more impressive on the mound as, for the second straight night, its pitchers held the Drive to three hits.

#15 someoneanywhere

• 3144 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

It turns out the reason for the 'season tickets only behind home' is because they added 'waitress service' to those sections.

OK..good luck with that.

My man Mike the beer guy is all out of sorts. He used to come through Section 109 bearing gifts -- liquid ones -- and now he has to walk around with a pad and pencil and ask for my order. He knows my order, for crying out loud. We've been together 6 years on my order. But, he says, he has to ask for it and then he will go get it for me.

It's killing him. And it's killing me.