Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2012 World Champions: San Francisco Giants

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 20545 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

Giants force a game 7, on top of a forced game 6. Latest weather forecast is for rain this afternoon and showers from about an hour before gametime through the night. If this thing shifts later, could see a delayed start, but they should get the game done. It's the first significant rain of the season, so it shouldn't be heavy at any time. Around here, it needs to ramp up gradually. Cain vs. Lohse for the world series ticket. Outta here NOT, back at Third and King on Wednesday.

#52 DeJesus Built My Hotrod

• SoSH Member

• 10007 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

The most screwed team in the World Series?

#53 Lars The Wanderer

• 3349 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

Hey American League, mix in a fucking salad every once in a while you bunch of lumbering galoots.

I think it was Mr. Loaf who once said, "Two out of three ain't bad..."

#54 gaelgirl

• kiwi whore

• 4459 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

The 2012 baseball season is over, sadly, but it ended in just about the best possible way: A San Francisco Giants victory!

May all your Octobers be Orange and Black!

#55 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 20545 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

Batting Practice Guy does the Giants:

http://www.nesn.com/...ants-video.html

#56 Lars The Wanderer

• 3349 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

I am just going to keep referring to this thread over and over until it stops being good luck.

#57 gaelgirl

• kiwi whore

• 4459 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

That thread is awesome, Lars.

Also, I have to give you shit for this, on the Posey draft choice: "I would have preferred Smoak, but this is not a bad pick at all."

Ha! There were a lot of predictions of doom in that thread, but I think the Giants ended up being pretty okay. And, as Mike Krukow pointed out, if Barry Zito went away like so many people wanted him to, we probably don't even get to the World Series, let alone win it. Congrats, Barry, you'll forever be forgiven. :)

#58 Lars The Wanderer

• 3349 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

Unless a low base/high incentive contract can be worked out in the next couple of hours, Brian Wilson's career as a Giant will end at 9PM Pacific Time this evening.

Edited by Lars The Wanderer, 30 November 2012 - 04:38 PM.

#59 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16367 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

Well hang on, if he's non tendered that doesn't preclude the Giants from resigning him, no? In fact as I understand it it's pretty likely he gets non-tendered but resigned.

I hope he stays, he's a good pitcher regardless of the marketing hype. I also just dropped 80 clams on a Wilson jersey for my mom, who loves him and has the same last name.

#60 Lars The Wanderer

• 3349 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

I think whether or not he is re-signed depends on Heath Hembree's health.

Not really sure why the text is being all small like this now. I blame Brian Wilson.

Edited by Lars The Wanderer, 30 November 2012 - 05:03 PM.

#61 gaelgirl

• kiwi whore

• 4459 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

Brian Wilson is said to be angry with the Giants for non-tendering him and thus looking at other options. It was rumored that the Dodgers were a possible destination, but they have said publicly that they're not interested. I think Wilson needs to understand that a pitcher recovering from his second Tommy John surgery isn't going to command a lot of interest or salary. The Giants want(ed?) to work out a smaller base salary plus incentives deal that could bring him a ton of money if he is healthy and reached those incentives. That sounds like the best idea.

Meanwhile, the Giants have secured their entire starting lineup from the 2012 World Series:

Angel Pagan got four years/$40 million, broken down like this:
2012: $5 million signing bonus
2013: $7 million
2014: $9 million
2015: $9 million
2016: $10 million

He will be 35 in the last year of the contract, but even if he's a bust, $10 million is not likely to break the Giants payroll. It's not an albatross, basically.

Marco Scutaro signed for three years/$20 million. I can't find the breakdown, but he turned down a two year/$18 million offer from the Cardinals when the Giants went with the third year. He will be 40 when the contract is done. However, he joked that Omar Vizquel "played until he was 55," so he's planning to contribute for the duration of the contract. Obviously, I guess. However, interesting tidbit for Red Sox fans: He said that as this is likely his final contract, he really wasn't willing to leave money on the table for anyone, even a team that had a good chance to win the World Series. He said he did that once, with the Red Sox, and he got nothing "but going bald."

The Giants also signed reliever Jeremy Affeldt for three years/$18 million. I think he's far more important to the Giants than Wilson going forward, and when he's right/not ridiculously injured, he's fantastic.

#62 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16367 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

It's good to know that Sabes has learned the lessons from 2010. But most of his moves were the right ones - Scutaro was the best 2B available, Pagan is signed for good AAV, etc.

If the Giants offer $6 million to Weezy he should take it and run. He needs to reestablish value. If the Dodgers aren't interested in an FU Giants-contract then I can't imagine he's going to get a multi year deal from somebody else that beats 1/6 + incentives.

#63 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 20545 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

Damn, CSN Bay Area is losing one of their best to ESPN: Jaymee Sire. Too good to keep under the barrel of a local network I guess. For me, she vaults to at or near the top of the women  analysts with ESPN.

Bye Jaymee

#64 gaelgirl

• kiwi whore

• 4459 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

Losing Jaymee Sire hurts. She's awesome, and I'm legitimately sad. Also, I hate Amy G. I think the players clearly preferred Jaymee, too. However, I hope she's successful with ESPN because she is pretty awesome. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users