Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2012 World Champions: San Francisco Giants

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 gaelgirl

• The People's Champion

• 4,553 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:58 AM

As Spring Training comes to an end, the Giants have a few questions left to answer.

The most important in the minds of most fans is if they Giants will come to terms with Matt Cain on a contract extension. If not, Cain will become a free agent at the end of the season. Cain and the Giants have maintained all along that if a deal is not done by Opening Day, the issue will be tabled for the season.

With the Dodgers newly flush with money, the Yankees and the Red Sox all likely looking for pitching next off-season, it's entirely possible that Cain could get $120 to $150 million over five or six years on the open market. It's not really clear what the holdup in the Giants negotiations are exactly, other than the Giants are apparently unwilling to sign long-term contracts because they idiotically gave Zito and Rowand long-term contracts. Nevermind the fact that Cain is not Zito or Rowand.

Here are some links to the latest and lamest in this ridiculously slow-going negotiation: http://www.csnbayare...688&feedID=2796

New CEO Larry Baer says the Giants "aren't lowballing" Cain: http://www.csnbayare...440&feedID=2796 (that article also says the Giants and Cain "

have been substantially far apart on determining that [fair market] value")

The Giants have said for years now that maintaining their pitching staff is of the utmost importance, that getting Cain's contract together was a top off-season priority and that the reason they aren't getting into bidding wars for free agent hitters was because of the organizational need to spend those dollars on pitching. Needless to say, losing Cain would be extraordinarily upsetting to Giants fans. While the Zito and Rowand contracts are of course widely criticized and belittled, I get that sense that there are very few Giants fans who would be unhappy with a five- or six-year, $110-$120 million contract for Cain.

In other news, Freddy Sanchez will start the season on the disabled list again, so the opening day starting second baseman could be one of three different players, none of whom are really certain they are even on the team yet. Burriss is likely a lock, while Mike Fontenot and Ryan Theriot both have contracts that will either need to be guaranteed by tomorrow or they get released, thanked for their time and take away about $250,000 for their troubles. However, with Sanchez on the DL, it seems that for the moment all three will make the team. Eventually, though, I suspect the Giants will have to lose at least one middle infielder with a silent t at the end of their name.

Also up for discussion is the backup catcher position. Buster Posey is back, looks good, is performing well and it's all good things there. There are currently three players, though, who are vying for one or two spots on the roster. Eli Whiteside, Chris Stewart and Hector Sanchez are the candidates.

--Whiteside is the most veteran of the group, but like many backup catchers doesn't hit very well. He was a steady influence in 2010 and as served quite successfully as Jonathan Sanchez's personal catcher, including catching Sanchez's no-hitter and near-perfect game. However, Sanchez is gone now and Whiteside was kind of a disaster last year after being forced into more fulltime status after Posey's injury. While I thought he did a good job with the pitching staff in 2010, he didn't have as much success with them in 2011. He also had an elbow injury that prevented him from making accurate or strong throws, so he gave up a ton of stolen bases. His elbow is apparently better and his throws are stronger, but he still can't hit much and his defense is merely average to above average.

--Chris Stewart became Whiteside's backup after Posey got hurt, then pretty much took the starting job as the season went on and Whiteside continued to be terrible. Stewart is also not a good hitter, but was far superior to Whiteside in defense, particularly with his strong, accurate arm. Pitchers seem to enjoy working with him, Lincecum in particular seemed to prefer Stewart to Whiteside (though I very highly doubt any backup will be catching Lincecum unless Posey is desperately ill). Stewart is really not a good hitter, however, and his value is his defense.

--Hector Sanchez is young (22) with only average defense behind the plate. However, what he has is the ability to hit. And he's been very, very good at doing that in Spring Training. In fact, he's been so good at it that there's been talk that he'll get the sole backup spot on the roster and both Whiteside and Stewart will be out of luck.

I am not sure that makes the most sense, as the hitting ability of a guy you only plan to play once a week or so isn't necessarily the most important attribute. Further, he does need to develop catching skills, and being the everyday guy in Fresno will probably be a better training ground than watching most days in San Francisco. It might be better to see how things develop in San Francisco before moving Sanchez up. It would be great to have a good-hitting young catcher ready to come up if it turns out Posey needs to move to first base.

Edited by gaelgirl, 29 October 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#2 gaelgirl

• The People's Champion

• 4,553 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

Well, the Giants signed Matt Cain, as pretty much everybody knows. Five year extension, about $127 million. He just pitched a one-hit, complete game shutout at the Giants home opener. The best Giants start of the season so far!

The Giants have been great offensively through their first seven games, scoring no less than four runs in each of them, but their pitching has been iffy. Tim Lincecum has been terrible and got pulled in the third inning of his last start. It's been rough. Bumgarner had a bad first game and a great second start, so it's possible he's righted himself. Cain was amazing... and Zito is up next, maybe a repeat of his spectacular first start?

#3 derekson

• 3,638 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:37 AM

Glad Belt got ~10 ABs before Bochy decided to bench him in favor of Huff and Pill.

#4 Yazdog8

• 3,959 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

Looks like Brian Wilson has a visit scheduled to Dr. Andrews, and the news might not be so good.

http://www.mercuryne...y-needs-surgery

#5 Khabibul35

• 27 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

Glad Belt got ~10 ABs before Bochy decided to bench him in favor of Huff and Pill.

Bochy knows best. The man knows Belt is doomed to forever be a AAAA player.

#6 Rick Wise Guy

• 413 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

Back to the bench tonight for Belt after facing Halladay. Huff gets Blanton. Bochy is really trying hard to screw the kid.

#7 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,142 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

Giants jump out 2 - 0 on Mets and the ancient Miguel Batista. Let's see if Tim can hold'em now.

#8 gaelgirl

• The People's Champion

• 4,553 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

Lincecum had a grinder of a game and only got out of the fifth inning because of a brilliantly turned double play, but he only gave up one run and had eight strikeouts. And walked five and gave up four hits. And a bunch of those strikeouts were on 3-2 pitches. His velocity was steadily in the 90-92 range, but his location was all over the place.

Still, this was absolutely brilliant: http://sanfrancisco....lb_1&mode=video

Giants won the game 6-1, Nate Schierholtz had a homer, triple and a single; Posey also had a HR.

In Game 2, the Giants lead 7-1 after a HUGE homerun from Pablo Sandoval, Hector Sanchez also had his first career HR. So far, 12 hits for the Giants through seven innings, 23 hits total for the day.

#9 gaelgirl

• The People's Champion

• 4,553 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

Guillermo Mota was just suspended for 100 games for testing positive for the drug Clenbuterol. According to a dodgy-looking steroids site, this drug is used as a fat reducer. I think we can all agree that Mota did not take enough:

Posted Image

It's apparently also a stimulant and is similar to Albuterol, which is used in asthma medications.

This is a loss for the Giants, as Mota was a generally reliable bullpen guy, and pretty much the only one that could come up in long relief. Also, Brian Wilson is already done for the season and Jeremy Affeldt is on the DL after hurting his knee picking up his ginormous four-year-old (who's like 65 pounds and 4.5 feet tall!). However, there are a few options in minors, including a young closer who is having a great season in AAA Fresno, Heath Hembree. (http://www.baseball-...id=hembre001ric)

Edited by gaelgirl, 07 May 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#10 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,142 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

Just a footnote, that was Mota's second violation, hence the 100 games. His first was in 2006.

#11 gaelgirl

• The People's Champion

• 4,553 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

Right, sorry... I should have put that in there. I think that test was an off-season one, even.

The Giants have not announced a corresponding roster move, but they did know about Mota's suspension yesterday. He wasn't even at the ballpark for the game, according to beat writer Hank Schulman. So, I'd assume they sent someone from Fresno to LA to replace him.

#12 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,544 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

Kind of funny how I and many other people were Chicken Little'ing the Giants not signing Lincecum a few years ago.

Fair play, Brian, you outwitted the lunatic fringe on this one.

#13 gaelgirl

• The People's Champion

• 4,553 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:35 AM

Matt Cain is perfect. I don't think I've ever been more excited for a non-September/October game in my entire life. Matt Cain is the longest-tenured Giant and has had a LOT of bad luck in those years. So many games where he would throw seven or eight innings of one- or two-run ball, only to lose because the Giants didn't score or just got one. So many games he left with a lead only to see the bullpen give it up. There isn't another Giants pitcher that deserves this more. He's supposedly one of the nicest guys on the team, one of the most unassuming and just all around a great guy who loves San Francisco and the Giants.

Congratulations, Matt Cain. You are perfect.

(Oh, and Gregor Blanco was pretty freaking awesome tonight, too. Fantastic catch in the seventh inning to preserve the perfect game. Radio announcer Dave Flemming said at the time, "And with plays like that, you think that maybe this is actually going to happen!" Or something similar to that.)

#14 Lars The Wanderer

• 3,433 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

But for a cheap base hit by a pitcher, this would have been Matt Cain's second perfect game this season.

#15 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,142 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

Don't look now but the Giants have moved into a first place tie with the Dodgers. They are also now in a tie with the Dodgers and the Nats for most wins in the NL. They shut out the Dodgers in all three games, first time that's ever happened in the 129 year history of the rivalry. The Dodgers have had other names like the Trolley Dodgers, Superbas, Bridegrooms and Robins along the way. The Giants have always been the Giants in that timeframe. Tim Lincecum was Tim Lincecum again. If he's really back, the Giants will go a long way this year, methinks. Even if he's not, the rest of the rotation, Cain, Bumgarner, Vogelsong and a halfway decent Zito may get them deep into the postseason anyway.

#16 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,142 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:05 AM

Four consecutive shutouts now. One hitter from Bumgarner, and Matt Cain goes next!

#17 Deathofthebambino

• Drive Carefully

• 15,341 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:29 AM

That pitching staff is the real deal.

It's completely amazing to say it out loud, but right now, Lincecum is the worst starter in the rotation, and it's not even particularly close. He may be turning a corner though, coming off his best start of the year, going 7 scoreless against the Dodgers, giving up 4 hits, with 8k's and walking 2. His start before that was a quality start as well, with 3 runs over 6 innings, and he struck out 8 against Oakland.

After him, it's Zito, who has an ERA+ of 89 (Lincecum is at 63). He also went 7 scoreless against the Dodgers in his last start.

And then you have 3 guys who could actually be aces on a lot of other staffs in baseball.

Ryan Vogelsong is 7-3 with a 2.23 ERA, a WHIP of 1.15, and an ERA+ of 159. He's won 7 of his last 8 decisions, and has only given up more than 3 earned runs once all season (that was 4 against Cincinatti in his 3rd start of the year). 13 of his 14 starts have been quality starts, and he hasn't gone less than 6 1/3rd in any game this year.

Bumgarner, who threw a 1 hit shutout tonight, now has an ERA of 2.85 and a WHIP of 1.06. He's won his last 5 straight decisions, and has not given up more than 4 earned in any of his 15 starts this year (he's given up 4 in 5 starts).

And then there's Cain, who is SECOND on the team, with an ERA+ of 156. He's won 8 consecutive decisions, including the perfect game, and has also had a 1 hit complete game SO, and a two hit complete game SO. He's got 107k's in 107 innings to go with only 22 walks, and has an absurd WHIP of .90.

Santiago Casilla has filled in for Wilson incredibly and now has 21 saves (2 blown) and Sergio Romo might be the best setup man in the game right now, with 2 earned runs given up over 21 2/3rds, for a .83 ERA and a WHIP of .74.

They are fun to watch at the moment.

#18 nattysez

• 1,568 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

Sabean improved the team's defense tremendously this off-season, and I think it's made a huge difference. They are basically a new team up the middle, with Posey now back, Crawford playing SS full time, Theriot at second, and Melky, Pagan and Blanco in the OF. It's had a huge impact on the team. Giants pitchers can throw strikes knowing that even if a ball is hit, they have a good shot at getting an out (especially given how big AT&T plays at night).

#19 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,142 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

The record for consecutive shutouts by a team is five (or at least the most recent) by the 1995 O's. Checking BREF, the O's had 7 shutouts all that year, 4 by Mussina, 2 by Scott Erickson and one by Kevin Brown. 5 of them were consecutive?!?!? Maybe they had one or two "team" shutouts that aren't listed on BREF? Doubt it. Amazing that such a high percentage were consecutive.

Edit, 10 shutouts by the O's in 1995, so 3 that were not CGSHO. The 5 in a row were the 5 last games of the season. They were against the Blue Jays and the Tigers, both of whom were way out of it. That makes it pale a lot, to me.

Edited by Al Zarilla, 29 June 2012 - 04:06 PM.

#20 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,142 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:50 PM

The Giants have turned into the Red Sox! Their temporary (if all year is temporary) closer has turned back into the mediocre pitcher a rival got rid of. That would be Santiago Casilla, who used to be with the A's. They can't hit with RISP (well, never were very good at that). They're blaming things like the weather and 11:00 start games after cross country flights. Woe is me! On to another place where there's a new first place team in town, Pittsburgh!

#21 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,544 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:40 AM

So, what's our opinion on Lincecum? As somebody who doesn't get to see that much baseball - and I usually don't bother to watch a game where Lincecum sucks - I look at his stats and the reports and I see somebody who is probably hurt. With the slider thing, it makes some sense as he's thrown a lot of pitches and the Giants were not terribly careful with him.

With the whole slider controversy, and declining velocity AND location problems point to somebody who's hurt. The whole thing reminds me of Pedro. The velo dropped, but the stuff was still sharp. Then the stuff started to go south, the location stopped being pinpoint and eventually the shoulder gave out. You never had the labrum rumors, maybe because the SF media is incredibly pliant when it comes to the Giants, but I am past the point of buying "My mechanics are funky, I'll sort it out".

Edited by Spacemans Bong, 09 July 2012 - 06:41 AM.

#22 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,142 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

Who knows the complete story. Nobody of course or they would have fixed him. Things that have stood out to me compared with, let's call him "good Tim", to my eyes watching most of his innings:

His command/control has been way off this year. Hurting him most is missing inside the strike zone, like a hanging curve or slider right in the middle of the plate to weak hitting Tony Gwynn Jr. Game winning, bases clearing hit resulted. He's also grooved plenty of pitches high in the zone to excellent hitters like Andrew McCutchen and Neil Walker last weekend. Gone, and gone. So, he just can't be trusted to locate and is getting hurt by hitters from all across the ability spectrum. He's also been very wild this year, bouncing curves or whatever several feet in front of the plate. Also pitches up over the catcher's head or way inside or outside. Wild pitches and runs advancing or scoring have resulted. This may be a reason why Bochy started using Sanchez at C in some of Tim's starts. Posey was getting beat up.

Everyone talks about Tim's velocity, but he still gets the fastball up there 90 - 93, and this is not slower than any of the other Giants SPs, except Zito of course.

Then there is Tim's windup and delivery. He has always had that ferocious style where he gets every possible ounce of his weight and every foot-pound of torque he can muster into every single pitch. It's always seemed to me that that approach was rife with things that can go wrong. Everything has to be perfect, like a racecar driver driving at 200 mph on an oval course vs cruising down the highway at 60. Compare him to Matt Cain, who looks so effortless and smooth. Of course, Matt has 5 inches in height and 60 pounds in weight strength to draw from.

The first part about location is very real. Is it caused, at least in part because his delivery has gone cockeyed? Who knows?

Oh, another thing is Tim's weight. He came into last year buffed and strong, 180 - 185 pounds. He pitched well last year, but said his knees were bothering him, maybe from the extra weight. So, he came into this season as skinny as usual. Some people are saying he made a mistake and should have worked to keep the added muscle. As for getting hurt by using the slider, he and the Giants keep saying he's not hurt at all.

Just my amateur baseball coach and manager point of view, and not worth the bytes and packets to put it on here.

#23 derekson

• 3,638 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

Would not be shocked to learn that his elbow has been bothering him. He had the whole "shelving the slider" thing at the start of the year and his inconsistent location and inability to snap off good breaking balls also points in that direction. It looks to me like a better pitcher going through the same issues Lackey had last season while trying to pitch through a busted UCL.

#24 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,142 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:23 PM

Well, it came out yesterday that the Giants have decided they will skip a Lincecum start if he does poorly in his next start, Saturday against the Astros. Of course, at home v. Astros is about as easy as it gets right now. So, if he does OK, which he did on 6/27 against the Dodgers, and then gets beat up in Philly, what then?

Brian Sabean, GM, on Tom Tolbert's talk show yesterday, when asked if they were considering sending him down, about blew up: "2X CY, post season MVP, etc., etc.!!!" Again, no talk of any injury. Derekson pointed out above Tim was not using his slider because it may have been bothering his arm. I'd heard that too, but I thought he went back to using it. I'll keep an eye out for that on Saturday night, hopefully with Krukow and Kuiper calling the game. They the best.

Anybody remember a pitcher going from the top to the bottom, in his prime, like this? Can't think of a case like this myself.

#25 NoLastCall125

• 531 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

Anybody remember a pitcher going from the top to the bottom, in his prime, like this? Can't think of a case like this myself.

The most recent name that comes to mind, although on a lesser scale than Lincecum, is Dontrelle Willis. He fell pretty hard after his first four seasons in the majors (which ranged from good to great) and never came close to recovering.

#26 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,142 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

Tim was Tim Lincecum Saturday against the Astros (well, the Astros): 8 IP, 5H, 0r, 0ER, 1BB, 11K. He did use the slider, 18 of them according to Brooks Baseball. His fastballs, 2 seam and 4 seam averaged about 90 mph, maxing at 92.4. Keeping the ball down was probably his best accomplishment. Well, overall command was great. Next stop this Friday in Philly.

#27 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,142 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:49 PM

The Giants are marching relentlessly toward the NL West title. It's now a 7 game lead and the Dodgers are closer to the fourth place Padres than they are to the first place Giants. Funny thing is that the Giants are doing it more with their offense than with their pitching of late. Ryan Vogelsong's pitching in his last seven games has been really worrisome. Madison Bumgarner has been off lately, while Lincecum and Zito have been pitching better. Matt Cain had a bit of a funk after the perfecto, but he's unquestionably the ace of the staff now. Buster Posey for MVP by the way.

Edited by Al Zarilla, 12 September 2012 - 11:49 PM.

#28 nattysez

• 1,568 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:00 AM

The Giants are marching relentlessly toward the NL West title. It's now a 7 game lead and the Dodgers are closer to the fourth place Padres than they are to the first place Giants. Funny thing is that the Giants are doing it more with their offense than with their pitching of late. Ryan Vogelsong's pitching in his last seven games has been really worrisome. Madison Bumgarner has been off lately, while Lincecum and Zito have been pitching better. Matt Cain had a bit of a funk after the perfecto, but he's unquestionably the ace of the staff now. Buster Posey for MVP by the way.

If they only go with 4 starters for the playoffs, Vogelsong is going to be the odd man out. The extent to which he has fallen apart is pretty remarkable.

I am a little worried about them wearing down Posey -- they guy's "days off" are when he plays first base. He's played in every game since August 24.

Edited by nattysez, 13 September 2012 - 12:02 AM.

#29 DeJesus Built My Hotrod

• SoSH Member

• 10,594 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:06 AM

Check out Sergio Romo's Gangnam Style dance after Pagan catches the ball to clinch the West. Congrats Giants fans.

Another fun team and this time their offense, with Pagan, Scutaro, Pence and Belt to go along with Posey and Sandoval, is a bit more solid than the 2010 Torture version.

#30 Lars The Wanderer

• 3,433 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

"The most screwed" division winner in MLB.

Heh...

#31 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,544 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

If it wasn't for the batting title tardfest I would have forgot that Melky was even on the team. Hell, the offence doesn't even miss him that much.

#32 DeJesus Built My Hotrod

• SoSH Member

• 10,594 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

Posted Image

#33 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,142 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

The Giants have announced they will not be sending Melky on any rehab assignment and will therefore not use him for the NLCS or the WS (if they get there). No surprise. They've played at 26 and 12 since he got busted. Buster Posey got his 100th RBI last night and, at least momentarily, leads McCutchen for the first time this year for the batting title. MVP MVP!

Edited by Al Zarilla, 27 September 2012 - 03:16 PM.

#34 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,142 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

Giants eliminate Dodgers. Across the Bay, A's pull into a tie with Texas and can win the AL West in a nooner today. Giants - A's 1989 repeat, w/o the earthquake though please. That would be something.

#35 gaelgirl

• The People's Champion

• 4,553 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

There are some interesting decisions to be made now about the starting rotation in the playoffs. They've all been great and they've all had difficult stretches, some more difficult than others. Obviously Cain is in. Almost certainly Bumgarner is #2. Zito has been an absolute monster over the last few months. Vogelsong is back to good form and Lincecum has the history but has been so, so spotty lately. Vogelsong, though, is more versatile and can come out of the bullpen more easily than Zito or Lincecum, so that probably seals the deal for him.

Personally, though, Lincecum is just so untrustworthy. I would go with Vogelsong.

They are thinking of carrying three catchers, too, because Sanchez has value as a pinch hitter and they don't want to get into an emergency catcher scenario. That is ridiculous. They are also thinking of keeping Huff on the roster. That has to be just writers creating a story for fun, right? I mean, seriously. That cannot happen. Three catchers AND Huff?

#36 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,142 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

Just two catchers, and Huff Made it. I pointed out on another board that Huff gives them a total of seven guys that can bat lefthanded, including switch hitters. They have nine guys that can hit from the right side. Bochy made it a little more even by adding Huff. He also got some pinch hits late in the year and so appears to be seeing and attacking the ball OK. The other controversial one was Guillermo Mota, who hasn't been great since getting back from suspension. The old saw about Bochy that he likes him his veterans? The other alternative pitcher might have been Clay Hensley, who got bad late in the year.

I see that Dusty has named Bronson Arroyo as game 2 starter instead of Mat Latos. Latos has been rough on the Giants, especially this year. Somebody suggested he likes to put a softer throwing guy between Cueto and Latos. We'll see.

The Giants' 25-man roster for the 2012 NLDS

Pitchers (12)
41 Jeremy Affeldt LHP
40 Madison Bumgarner LHP
18 Matt Cain RHP
46 Santiago Casilla RHP
70 George Kontos RHP
55 Tim Lincecum RHP
49 Javier Lopez LHP
50 Jose Mijares LHP
59 Guillermo Mota RHP
54 Sergio Romo RHP
32 Ryan Vogelsong RHP
75 Barry Zito LHP

Catchers (2)
28 Buster Posey C
29 Hector Sanchez C

Infielders (7)
13 Joaquin Arias IF
9 Brandon Belt IF
35 Brandon Crawford IF
17 Aubrey Huff IF
48 Pablo Sandoval IF
19 Marco Scutaro IF
5 Ryan Theriot IF

Outfielders (4)
7 Gregor Blanco OF
12 Xavier Nady OF
16 Angel Pagan OF
8 Hunter Pence OF

#37 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,142 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

Mike Krukow on the radio just now referenced the 2004 Red Sox. Never give up.

#38 gaelgirl

• The People's Champion

• 4,553 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

I am assuming Mat Latos is out of the picture for tomorrow, right? I fucking hate Mat Latos. Ugh.

Sweeping Cincinnati on the road isn't completely out of the question. It's just a lot more difficult than just needing to win one or two. It was nice to see Lincecum kicking ass last night. Other than that, this series has not been particularly fun so far.

Vogelstrong goes for the Giants tomorrow, meaning we don't have to worry about Posey at first. I think Vogey deserved the start. Now I just want to see him keep the Giants in it...

#39 DeJesus Built My Hotrod

• SoSH Member

• 10,594 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

They need Pence and Scutaro (both 0-8) to hit starting, like now, or this is all over. Even Pablo has been pretty weak.

And as I pointed out in the Division game-thread, its one thing to have that bottom third of the line-up (Blanco, Crawford and pitcher) against their NL west rivals. Its something entirely different when you are facing playoff pitching. I think its time for Bochy to, perhaps, go with Arias at SS and let Nady play in lieu of Blanco. Blanco hasn't been awful but he is normally pretty weak and cannot hit for power, at all.

#40 gaelgirl

• The People's Champion

• 4,553 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:23 AM

Yeah, but... Nady's not exactly a good offensive option, either. And Arias can be miserably bad, too. I really don't think this overall ineptitude can be solved by subbing out Crawford or Blanco. Actually, at least Blanco had a double the other day. Blanco's been decent, relatively speaking. He's got like two hits, which makes him a freaking postseason superstar for this team this year. Ugh.

Pence and Scutaro have to get on base for Posey to drive in, it's that simple. If that doesn't work, the Giants will have a hard time winning.

#41 gaelgirl

• The People's Champion

• 4,553 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

So, yeah. Key to winning: get runners on base for MVPosey to drive in. And THAT'S what's up.

Nats or Cards for the World Series and the Giants live to see at least four more games. Ho-ley Cow!

Vogelsong or Bumgarner in Game 1, right?

#42 Lars The Wanderer

• 3,433 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

I love the catcher's reaction to the Posey slam:

Posted Image

#43 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,142 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

6 - 3 Nats after 6. Edwin Jackson, who can be a gascan, is in. Who do the Giants want to face? 3 - 3 vs. Cards, 1 - 5 vs. Nats regular season this year. Have to hope for the home field advantage, so Cards I guess. Right on schedule, Jackson off to a bad start.

#44 Lars The Wanderer

• 3,433 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:50 AM

1987 and 2002 redux. I hope Kenny Lofton throws out the first pitch and the Giants hand out Ozzie Smith and Jose Oquendo pinatas at the fucking gate.

The Giants were in a plane on a runway in Cincinnati watching the end of the Nats/Cards game to see which direction their plane would go.

#45 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,544 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

Fuck that, Hac-Man throws out the first pitch.

#46 mcduh

• 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

What's up, Sox Nation?

Buddy of mine is a recent SF -> Boston immigrant and looking for a bar to feel less alone during the 2012 Torture. Any ideas for a place where Californian dingdongs (or maybe at least Deadhead sports fans) hang out?

#47 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,142 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

The Marco Scutaro legend continues to grow. Asked what he may do if Holliday came over before game 3 to ask how he was: "I might kick his ass". He then went on to the "hard slide but I don't think he was trying to hurt me" standard issue. Scutaro, the Italiano by way of Venezuela. His family go down there to take over the wine industry there?

#48 fineyoungarm

• tweets about his subwoofer!

• 3,966 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

The Marco Scutaro legend continues to grow. Asked what he may do if Holliday came over before game 3 to ask how he was: "I might kick his ass". He then went on to the "hard slide but I don't think he was trying to hurt me" standard issue. Scutaro, the Italiano by way of Venezuela. His family go down there to take over the wine industry there?

Wasn't he one of the few who really came to play during September 2011? (I know the answer.)

Good thing he's gone.

#49 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,142 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

Wasn't he one of the few who really came to play during September 2011? (I know the answer.)

Good thing he's gone.

He's lucky the St. Louis goon didn't end his career. The Giants will be happy to re-up him.

#50 fineyoungarm

• tweets about his subwoofer!

• 3,966 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

He's lucky the St. Louis goon didn't end his career. The Giants will be happy to re-up him.

Well, he's no Mike Aviles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users