Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

Blake Swihart

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 doctorogres

• 56 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

SoxProspects recently posted its first extended (preseason) look at the prospect BA says has the "Buster Posey starter kit." Here are some excerpts:

Strengths: Swihart shows fluid swings from both side of the plate. He generates easy batspeed when bringing the head of the bat through the hitting zone... He has the hitting tool to develop into a plus hitter for batting average who drives the ball to all fields. Swihart’s swing is ideal for producing line drives and as his strength improves he has the potential for solid-average power... Defensively, he is light on his feet behind the plate and is very fluid with his actions.

Development Needs: Swihart presently lacks strength and needs to continue to fill out to push his overall game... He shows the defensive skills, but his body isn’t typical for the position. Even with physical maturation, his legs do not look like they may be able to get big enough to handle the grind of squatting behind the plate for 125-130 games a season.

2012 Outlook: Swihart has been working with the A-Ball group during spring training and a good chance to break camp with Greenville when the teams head north at the end of the month... The challenge of full-season baseball will also be good for pushing his approach and pitch recognition. If Swihart can work more to the whole field, he should produce hard contact and show doubles power this year.

His homerun power is expected to develop as he fills out over the next few years, but probably won't show up in games for awhile.

Edited by doctorogres, 28 March 2012 - 11:24 AM.

#2 The Mainahh

• 116 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

Anyone seen him play this spring? Any first-hand reports you care to share?

#3 Again2004

• 198 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

Ian (OH)

Any word on how Blake Swihart has looked defensively behind the plate? Was low-A an aggressive assignment given the relatively weak high school competition he faced in New Mexico?

Klaw

(12:21 PM)

Saw him. Better than expected on defense. Worse than expected with the stick. I wouldn't call it "aggressive" but you may have the best explanation for how bad he's looked at the plate.

#4 bloodysox

• 2642 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

He got off to a rough start, but he's really picked things up. I expected him to struggle early, as a jump from high school to A ball is a big one.

I expected the Red Sox to let Swihart go through XST and start the year off at Lowell, and I was surprised that they were aggressive with him.

#5 TheGoldenGreek33

• 1859 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

Since May 15, Swihart has thrown out 10/27 (37%) baserunners, compared to 4/15 (27%) before that.

Edited by TheGoldenGreek33, 05 June 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#6 doctorogres

• 56 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

He's really picking it up: 289/329/408/737 in May and 314/350/514/864 so far in June.

#7 Koufax

• 1864 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

After a bit of a swoon in July, he's pick his OPS back up to .768. 

#8 Koufax

• 1864 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:32 AM

2 doubles last night bring his OPS up to .772 for the season.

#9 Koufax

• 1864 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

3 singles bring his OPS for the season up to .781.  For the month of August, it is .875.

#10 Koufax

• 1864 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:55 AM

A single and a double last night, and his OPS for the season is .788; for the month, it is .889.

#11 Koufax

• 1864 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

From WEEI.com:

Blake Swihart, 21, went 1-for-2 with a double and a walk to wrap up his year with a .298 average, .366 OBP and .428 slugging mark. He was particularly impressive down the stretch, hitting .372/.406/.500 in 23 games in August and September, at a time of year when a catcher might be expected to wilt. Swihart has positioned himself along with Vazquez in the next group of Sox prospects behind Bogaerts/Bradley/Cecchini/Betts.

#12 LondonSox

• 4309 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

The scouting reports on his defense, with a focus on his throwing ability re base stealing are off the charts.
In a game over the weekend he threw out a base stealer by 10 steps and is throwing out over 40% of runners. In short like nothing the big league team has seen in many years

#13 Koufax

• 1864 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:31 PM

Defensive player of the year for the Red Sox farm system.  Combine that with a .794 OPS and you have a genuine prospect.

#14 Koufax

• 1864 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

Soxprospects Executive Editor Chris Hatfield lists him as the no. 5 prospect in the system.  Overall, Soxprospects lists him now as no. 8.

#15 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 18360 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

Speier with an interesting write up on Swihart and how he's not a typical catching prospect.

http://fullcount.wee...second-edition/

The overall view of the young catcher is one of a player with an unusually diverse set of skills for his position, something that suggests a considerable ceiling as he continues to move up the ladder. After playing all of 2013 in High-A Salem, he’ll be in Double-A Portland to start 2014, with his first big league camp on the horizon (Swihart will take part as a non-roster invitee). There, Swihart — ranked the No. 5 prospect in the Red Sox farm system by Baseball America — will have an opportunity to show whether he is indeed his “own breed” against the more advanced competition of the upper levels.

#16 Dick Pole Upside

• 3201 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

Soxprospects Executive Editor Chris Hatfield lists him as the no. 5 prospect in the system.  Overall, Soxprospects lists him now as no. 8.

On the most recent SoxProspects podcast, there was a brief interview with Blake.  He has put on about 35 pounds since signing with the Sox and currently weighs 200.  There were concerns that his athletic (but trim) physique would cause him to wear him at the catcher position, but it seems like he has spent as much time on his physical development as he has on learning how to catch.  I'm excited about his overall growth.

#17 Plympton91

• it's time to get weird

• 5039 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

On the most recent SoxProspects podcast, there was a brief interview with Blake.  He has put on about 35 pounds since signing with the Sox and currently weighs 200.  There were concerns that his athletic (but trim) physique would cause him to wear him at the catcher position, but it seems like he has spent as much time on his physical development as he has on learning how to catch.  I'm excited about his overall growth.

I saw the final series last year and he looked quite skinny still; so if that reflects some of the weight he's gained then it definitely has come mostly in lean muscle rather than bulk for the sake of bulk.  Though, I would guess that many young catchers are well below their goal weight by the end of a long season.

#18 Koufax

• 1864 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

Picking up where he left off, he's batting .353 with an OPS of .795 after eight games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users