I'm having a big problem right now and I would appreciate any help. I am running Vista on an HP Pavilion dv6500 notebook and in the last few days I've tried installing Turbo Tax, but my CD/DVD drive is completely gone. I can't find it in the Device Manager, when I go to the Run prompt in my Accessories file and type in E:/ I get an error message saying that the drive is "unknown".
I've gone on line and tried this fix:
1) Close all open programs
2) [color=blue ! important][font=inherit ! important][color=blue ! important][font=inherit ! important]Click[/font][/font][/color][/color] on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders
4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SYSTEM
5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
7) Reboot your computer
But that did nothing. Does anyone have any ideas, tips or could you point me to some directions to fix this?
Thank you very much.