Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Joba out for most of 2012

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#51 terrynever

• 4982 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

1.1 1 0 0 0 3

30 pitches, 23 strikes.

Joba got four outs today for Trenton, topped out at 98 according to Thunder beat writer Mike Ashmore. Came in with bases empty, two outs in the seventh, throwing from the stretch. First batter hit a fly ball that was dropped, then came the third out. Single leading off 8th, stolen base, then Joba struck out 3 in a row.

Joba's 30-day rehab ends on August 6 but he should be back with the big club this week.

Edited by terrynever, 29 July 2012 - 06:38 PM.

#52 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 14795 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

Meanwhile, it took Joba 30 pitches to get 4 outs (not totally his fault, there was an error as you said), then Montgomery came in for the 9th and got the save on 10 pitches. That dude is dominating.

#53 terrynever

• 4982 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

Meanwhile, it took Joba 30 pitches to get 4 outs (not totally his fault, there was an error as you said), then Montgomery came in for the 9th and got the save on 10 pitches. That dude is dominating.

Monty will be in AAA in two weeks.

Edited by terrynever, 29 July 2012 - 07:17 PM.

#54 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 14795 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

I think they have to seriously consider starting the clock early on him in September. Obviously they know much much more than me but the results so far, wow.

#55 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 21629 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:48 AM

Joba pitched for the NYY last night, not too effective, going by the box score only.

#56 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 14795 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

Well, it was garbage time (an 11-1 lead), and very sloppy conditions, but what was odd was that he topped out at 93 on his FB, when all the minor league reports kept saying 97 or 98 game after game.

#57 crow216

• SoSH Member

• 5310 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

Wet mound and he probably had too many garlic fries in his first day back at the stadium.

#58 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 21629 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:42 AM

I haven't seen him pitch -- his numbers have been Bard-esque (Daniel, not Josh). Is it just Short Sample Size? Or is he just not effective for whatever reason at this time?

#59 InsideTheParker

• SoSH Member

• 9332 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:01 AM

Even the YES-men were impressed by how many times Joba has hit Youkilis. I think this is the first time he's faced him this year(?) and there you go.

#60 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 14795 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

Even the YES-men were impressed by how many times Joba has hit Youkilis. I think this is the first time he's faced him this year(?) and there you go.

Just to clarify, I don't think he's actually hit him so much, but he's thrown right at him a ton.

#61 terrynever

• 4982 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

Forget about the nearly 3.00 WHIP. Beckham's homer to right last night off an outside fastball was more troubling. Joba is also developing a look of consternation after his good pitches get whacked that had never been seen in the old days. Chamberlain has been around since 2007 and as Joel Sherman pointed out yesterday, his six-year window ends next season.

It's funny how Youk changing uniforms brings his history with Joba into sharper focus. Youk is no longer the hated enemy, the face of the Red Sox. He's almost a good guy now, a guy who plays the game hard. I think Youk and Teix had a nice conversation at first base last night about pitchers who think they can intimidate but no longer can.

#62 terrynever

• 4982 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

When CC comes back on Friday, Joba will likely be sent to Scranton until Sept. 1. Girardi said after last night's game he is worried about Joba in the "short-term," but not the long-term.

#63 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 14795 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

When CC comes back on Friday, Joba will likely be sent to Scranton until Sept. 1. Girardi said after last night's game he is worried about Joba in the "short-term," but not the long-term.

Did you see that somewhere? Does Joba even have options left? I was thinking it'd be Eppley to go to AAA for a week, he hasn't been too good lately either.

#64 judyb

• 3086 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

Did you see that somewhere? Does Joba even have options left? I was thinking it'd be Eppley to go to AAA for a week, he hasn't been too good lately either.

I can't think of when Joba ever would have been optioned before at all, so he should have options left. He probably has to clear optional assignment waivers, but I don't think anyone gets claimed off those.

#65 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 14795 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

OK, I found an article from Feb 2011 that said he still has three options left, so looks like you're right. But doesn't that possibility expire at some point in a player's career? This is Joba's 6th year in the majors, I thought maybe that superseded him never being optioned before.

#66 judyb

• 3086 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

I think players need to have 5 years of service time to have the right to refuse an optional assignment? He might have enough, but then it would be up to him.

#67 TheYaz67

• 3293 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

Well, Joba continues to struggle, having given up runs in 7 of his 11 appearances (which are often less than one inning, to boot), including a bomb last night.

Do Yankess fans have any confidence that he just needs more time, or do you have to shit can him at this point/move him to only mop-up and low leverage situations? I mean 20 baserunners (16 hits and 4 walks) in just over 7 innings is not cutting it coming down the stretch in a pennant race...

#68 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 14795 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

I would have given Mark Montgomery his job weeks ago.

#69 terrynever

• 4982 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

Well, Joba continues to struggle, having given up runs in 7 of his 11 appearances (which are often less than one inning, to boot), including a bomb last night.

Do Yankess fans have any confidence that he just needs more time, or do you have to shit can him at this point/move him to only mop-up and low leverage situations? I mean 20 baserunners (16 hits and 4 walks) in just over 7 innings is not cutting it coming down the stretch in a pennant race...

It's a process for Joba. He has been horrible, of course, but he has shown improvement in his last two appearances. He had 2 Ks in a scoreless inning of a 5-2 loss to Tampa on Tuesday (11 pitches, hit 97 on the gun). Last night, 2 Ks, 1 hit (homer by Reynolds) in 1.2 innings (23 pitches).
Baseball people tend to look at recent appearances more than overall numbers. They do it all the time with minor leaguers.
I haven't given up on Joba but he sure has sucked until these past two efforts. His command of the slider has been better, and his velocity is good. I think it's all about the slider for Joba. If he can command his slider low and away, then the fastball is more effective.

#70 TheYaz67

• 3293 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

Poor Joba, first assaulted by gnats, now assaulted by bats. Lucky he didn't get impaled, given he was looking the wrong way.

Weiters even tried to warn him - I'm sure Youks would have instead laughed....

Knowing Joba's luck, it will develop into a blood clot in his arm or some other bizarre ailment.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users