Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Bobby Jenks arrested

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#51 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 7758 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

He didn't hurt his back in the offseason, it was the end of the year and ended his ('10) season. This and rumored clubhouse tension were the reasons New York didn't tender him a contract, and also exactly why it was a smart pickup. He was basically always good when healthy and it was a $750k deal.

Edited by JohntheBaptist, 03 July 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#52 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 27974 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

Good riddance to Jenks, a worthless piece of shit. Quite a system, where a guy can get completely out of shape, get arrested, and still get paid. Ozzie Guillen was right on this one.

#53 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 20632 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

Good riddance to Jenks, a worthless piece of shit. Quite a system, where a guy can get completely out of shape, get arrested, and still get paid. Ozzie Guillen was right on this one.

Hopefully, he'll blow it all on hookers, drugs and condos in Arizona.

#54 Joe Shlabotnick

• 1324 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

Bobby's laughing all the way to the bar!

#55 FelixMantilla

• reincarnated mr hate

• 8528 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

And someone else was wrong!

Personally, I like the idea of Jenks as closer in '11 as it would allow Bard to continue to pitch the most meaningful innings, while Jenks racks up the saves and becomes more valuable compensation pick wise (depending on changes to the CBA, of course). Why make Bard the closer before you have to, if it puts him in a less meaningful role, potentially, while raising his arbitration value?

#56 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 27974 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

Great work. Hope you didn't spend too much time on that. Been wrong thousands of time, no need to go digging for more.

Although, I guess I'm not really sure what your point. One could have been in favor of the move based on his potential, yet feel disgusted at the way Jenks handled himself, no?

Edited by Rudy Pemberton, 03 July 2012 - 10:20 PM.

#57 Worst Trade Evah

• SoSH Member

• 10834 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:08 AM

The Red Sox are paying 4.5 of his 6 million dollar salary, according to the article. Why would Jenks agree? Is there a shot the Sox could attempt to void it following the arrest?

I was wrong about this signing too. Jenks had good peripherals and it seemed like a good idea to me. Oh well.

#58 Buzzkill Pauley

• SoSH Member

• 5044 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:21 AM

My guess is that he agreed due to threat of time behind bars for the DUI. If Jenks is incarcerated, then he's probably considered "unable to perform" under his contract, and since that would be for non-injury reasons it probably allows a voiding of that portion of the contract anyway.

Since the back surgery complication means he'll almost certainly never be physically able to pitch at a MLB-level again, it's probably in everyone's best interests to just get things over with and move on. I would suspect the unpaid $1.5MM unpaid covers the pro-rated portion of his salary from his sentencing date to the end of the season.

Of course, it's Jenks and I'm just glad he'll be gone, so I'm not willing to do any serious research to confirm my guesswork. Signing him seemed like such a good idea at the time. Sigh.

#59 wade boggs chicken dinner

• SoSH Member

• 6636 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Anyone know if this gives the Sox any luxury tax relief?

edit: wrong sport.

Edited by wade boggs chicken dinner, 04 July 2012 - 09:11 AM.

#60 Buzzkill Pauley

• SoSH Member

• 5044 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

I expect so. It sounds basically to be a lump-sum buy-out.

So long as the Players' Union agrees to the team's total compensation for Jenks being cut by $1.5MM, the Sox should get ~$0.75MM shaved off last year's CBT bill and that same amount credited toward this year as well.

It's not much, but it would be enough for the team eat Punto's remaining salary for this season entirely, if they could find a taker.

#61 NDame616

• will bailey

• 969 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

My guess is that he agreed due to threat of time behind bars for the DUI. If Jenks is incarcerated, then he's probably considered "unable to perform" under his contract, and since that would be for non-injury reasons it probably allows a voiding of that portion of the contract anyway.

Since the back surgery complication means he'll almost certainly never be physically able to pitch at a MLB-level again, it's probably in everyone's best interests to just get things over with and move on. I would suspect the unpaid $1.5MM unpaid covers the pro-rated portion of his salary from his sentencing date to the end of the season.

Of course, it's Jenks and I'm just glad he'll be gone, so I'm not willing to do any serious research to confirm my guesswork. Signing him seemed like such a good idea at the time. Sigh.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on DUI, my information is second hand from a few buddies who got popped in college, but from what I understand it's very hard to get put in jail for "just" on OUI especially for a first offense (yes, he did hit a car, but usually people who go to jail for an OUI it's because they also seriously hurt someone, it's a multiple offense, etc)

With a high priced lawyer, which I'm guessing he can afford, I can't imagine he was actually facing jail time.

#62 Buzzkill Pauley

• SoSH Member

• 5044 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on DUI, my information is second hand from a few buddies who got popped in college, but from what I understand it's very hard to get put in jail for "just" on OUI especially for a first offense (yes, he did hit a car, but usually people who go to jail for an OUI it's because they also seriously hurt someone, it's a multiple offense, etc)

With a high priced lawyer, which I'm guessing he can afford, I can't imagine he was actually facing jail time.

In reality, yes that's probably the case. However, the possibility of incarceration as a punishment for his crime gives the Sox negotiating leverage -- with both Jenks and the Players' Union -- that they otherwise lacked.

I'm only speculating, of course, but I think that's what allowed the buy-out to be completed.

The Sox could have allowed Jenks to sit on the 60-day DL with no roster concerns otherwise, and it's certainly not in Jenks' best interests to be bought out for less money than his contract was worth.

#63 NDame616

• will bailey

• 969 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

maybe that was it, just for leverage. However, quickly reading the arrest report, he didn't really take a breath test (appeared to not be able to take a deep breath) and couldn't piss for a urine test, so it doesn't appear the state had any evidence he was drunk (unless he admitted it, which I don't think he did....I think he stuck to the pain med defense)