Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Tim Tebow traded to the Jets

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
606 replies to this topic

#51 EP Sox Fan

• 1267 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

There is no logic behind this move, only anti-logic. It's funny but both the Jags and the Jets look foolish in this deal. One for getting Tebow and one for failing to get Tebow. This has to be one of the worst possible locations for him to be traded. Also, after the Jags dropped the ball on this one, we may as well start referring to them as the L.A. Jaguars.

#52 Stitch01

• SoSH Member

• 7353 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

4th and a 6th for Tebow and a 7th.

#53 Rook05

• 1462 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

On the plus side, this is completely hilarious and I can't seen how Tebow can possibly fit into the Jets plans.

On the negative side, Tebow lovers have a new excuse to lean on as to why Tebow never made it in the NFL.

#54 Darnell's Son

• 4031 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

Yeah, I'm shocked the Jags wouldn't give up a third rounder for him. From a financial standpoint alone, it's worth it.

I have no idea why the Jets would to this. Rex just can't help himself.

Yeah, but they could have offered their fourth and it would have been better than the Jets' fourth. Did the Broncos just jump on the first offer?

#55 DaughtersofDougMirabelli

• 2627 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

I think this is a fine move. It's hilarious, but a 4th round pick isn't that high a price to pay to find out if Tebow's vagina is really made of magic.

If you look at just the trade then yes it is a fine move. The problem is everything else. How does it affect Sanchez? The locker room? Cromartie already saying he didn't want Tebow?

The circus that will follow is what makes this a bad move.

Edited by DaughtersofDougMirabelli, 21 March 2012 - 12:17 PM.

#56 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 33661 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

If I was Jacksonville I wouldn't TOUCH him.

let's face it, he kind of sucks. Imagine that he really sucks there, the external pressures on the QB decision would be deafening.

#57 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 24722 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

Cimini torches the Jets

3. The risk far exceeds the potential upside. At best, the Jets get a change-of-pace quarterback who can run the Wildcat a few times per game, gain 20 or 30 yards and cause a small headache for the defense. At worst, they get a divisive quarterback controversy that undermines incumbent Mark Sanchez.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/11210/rapid-reaction-a-logic-defying-move

#58 Remagellan

• 4110 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

Francesa is blasting the Jets for this blatant publicity move.

"From a football standpoint this is a colossal disaster."

#59 Statman

• 586 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

This is amazing and could not have happened to a bigger douche than Sanchez.

I can't wait for Sanchez to have his first three pick game and then everyone start clamoring for Tebow to replace the "leader" of the Jets.

#60 SpacemanzGerbil

• 2878 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

This is really must listen. WFAN link.

#61 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 11879 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

Mike Francesa saying move was purely for PR reasons and to sell PSLs that are empty. Calls Jet front office a "bunch of fools and stooges". He's crushing them. Great stuff.

"A colossal disaster ... It makes no sense ... He is the hardest guy in the world to build a team around ... how in the world does this help Sanchez ... they will be screaming for Tebow"

"Give the Jets an opportunity and they will absolutely embarrass themselves"

#62 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 9469 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

Rex: Lets get a GOD DAMN SNACK
Tebow: EXUSE ME!?!?!??!?!?!!?
Rex: Oh yah you don't like swearing
Rex: lets get a giddy-dang snack?
tebow: thats better

#63 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15809 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

"There are people in the NFL laughing at the Jets right now."
--Francesa

#64 bowiac

• I've been living a lie.

• 9477 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

Or alternatively, it motivates Mark Sanchez to improve, because whether it's absurd or not, Tebow could threaten his job security.

I doubt adding Tebow will really blow up the Jets locker room either. The players seemed to like him in Denver at least.

#65 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25363 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

If I was Jacksonville I wouldn't TOUCH him.

let's face it, he kind of sucks. Imagine that he really sucks there, the external pressures on the QB decision would be deafening.

But they'd sell out every game and not face the dire risk of moving.

#66 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 11879 posts

mocking the way the Jets will spin this ... "this does not improve your team ... it turns your team into a colossal joke ... you think Tim Tebow is going to straighten out this locker room ... you think Holmes and Cromartie will listen to TB!? ... if that's your take, save it!"

#67 genoasalami

• 567 posts

I never try to make fun of a prediction or a move until it is PROVEN to be wrong ...

#68 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25363 posts

Or alternatively, it motivates Mark Sanchez to improve, because whether it's absurd or not, Tebow could threaten his job security.

I doubt adding Tebow will really blow up the Jets locker room either. The players seemed to like him in Denver at least.

They just gave Sanchez a 3 year extension which makes it very difficult to cut or trade him without huge cap ramifications.

#69 DaughtersofDougMirabelli

• 2627 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

That's because they believed in what he was preaching. He needs to be a leader and have a locker room that is willing to follow him. He'll get neither in NY.

#70 Remagellan

• 4110 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

"A colossal disaster ... It makes no sense ... He is the hardest guy in the world to build a team around ... how in the world does this help Sanchez ... they will be screaming for Tebow"

"Give the Jets an opportunity and they will absolutely embarrass themselves"

It is all gold!

I love the suggestion that Tebow can help in the locker room. The lukewarm comments from Thomas and McGahee yesterday to me indicate that there may have been a lot of simmering resentment in that locker room over all the attention Tebow was receiving for their success.

#71 mikeot

• 2520 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

Political junkie friend of mine just tweeted: Tim Tagaris @ttagaris now
Amazingly, the Rex Ryan plan is only the second worst Ryan plan on the week.

#72 gammoseditor

• also had a stroke

• 2708 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

I think they liked him after they started winning some games. I don't remember a lot of support before they went on their run. He won't even be given the chance to put the Jets on a winning streak and if he did he'd probably fail anyway.

#73 Van Everyman

• SoSH Member

• 7190 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

Political junkie friend of mine just tweeted: Tim Tagaris @ttagaris now
Amazingly, the Rex Ryan plan is only the second worst Ryan plan on the week.

I'm buddies with Tagaris, too -- that's awesome. But I think this wins it:

I'm sure Holmes will love Tebow's leadership. "Santonio, have you heard the good news? He is risen..." /champagne glass to the face

#74 dcdrew10

• 902 posts

Well at least they have an offense with a lot of short and intermediate check downs, so that works in Tebow's favor if/when he is pressed into action.

#75 DaughtersofDougMirabelli

• 2627 posts

ESPN Sportsnation Question: "Who should start at Quarterback for the Jets?"

Tebow leads at 53%, while New York and Jersey both have him at 54%

It's already begun.

#76 Fishercat

• Svelte and sexy!

• 4352 posts

It is all gold!

I love the suggestion that Tebow can help in the locker room. The lukewarm comments from Thomas and McGahee yesterday to me indicate that there may have been a lot of simmering resentment in that locker room over all the attention Tebow was receiving for their success.

It's a pretty big double edged sword. If he's not starting at QB or has a substantial role on the team (and by that I mean starting somewhere and doing well), his influence probably won't be substantive enough to overwhelm the media firestorm this will start. If he does start, they just gave a brand new contract to their QB to replace him before he plays a single down.

I love Tim Tebow the player, warts and all, but NYJ may have been the worst fit I could imagine.

#77 bowiac

• I've been living a lie.

• 9477 posts

They just gave Sanchez a 3 year extension which makes it very difficult to cut or trade him without huge cap ramifications.

I don't expect them to cut or trade him. I expect them to keep Sanchez as the starter for as long as they can.

I still think Tebow could play an interesting role on an NFL team - circus aside, I'd have been fine giving up a 4th round pick for him to the Patriots.

#78 E5 Yaz

• 24722 posts

#Jets gave up 4th and 6th-rnd picks for Tebow and 7th rounder

#79 Jimy Hendrix

• 2609 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

But they'd sell out every game and not face the dire risk of moving.

I'm not super familiar with the Jags' ownership, is leaving their shitty market to go to one of the nation's best media markets a "dire risk" for them, or an opportunity?

#80 beezer

• 318 posts

Now at least there's someone in NYC to help Jeremy Lin with his bounce pass

<rimshot>

#81 jmm57

• 432 posts

Based only on how he acted on Hard Knocks, I can't imagine an NFL QB less equipped to deal with the fans demanding the backup than Sanchez. I like Tebow, but this doesn't seem like the right fit.

#82 Jack Sox

• 3302 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

I remember watching the the Jets-Broncos game this year where neither QB could hit the broad side of the barn with a pass and I thought to myself that out of Tebow and Sanchez, I would prefer Tebow at the helm. Sanchez has the maturity of an 18 year old and it shows on the field.

#83 E5 Yaz

• 24722 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

I'm not super familiar with the Jags' ownership, is leaving their shitty market to go to one of the nation's best media markets a "dire risk" for them, or an opportunity?

New ownership, with a top guy who publicly said the previous regime should have drafted Tebow

#84 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 22737 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

This is awful. I love Tebow. He is great for troll sports but not if he is a Jest.

#85 TheRealness

• Don't make him go all Lucic on your ash

• 8121 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

The Sports Hub is just streaming Francessa right now. Fantastic.

#86 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 11879 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

Francesa:

"As green as their uniforms are -- that's how jealous they are of the Giants."

He's right about one thing -- it's an awful position for Sanchez.

#87 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 5997 posts

I was going to bookmark TGG but I think it imploded.

#88 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 11982 posts

New ownership, with a top guy who publicly said the previous regime should have drafted Tebow

In hindsight, it's pretty clear this was a PR move, not true regret -- otherwise, the Jags would've coughed up the picks to make this trade happen.

#89 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 41532 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA.

The best part of this pick is that they're gonna want him to play Quarterback.

#90 Remagellan

• 4110 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

"They keep doing ridiculous things to get attention. It's like a two year-old stomping up and down."

#91 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 5997 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

This really might push Francesa into retirement. Or a casket.

#92 Omar's Wacky Neighbor

• 2674 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

Someone must be asleep at the switch. Still no email from Modells alerting me that stores will open extra early tomorrow with tables full of Tebow-wear.

Can't wait to see the PIX11 Weather Mom have an on-air orgasm tomorrow morning. BIG Tebow fan, that gal........

Edited by Omar's Wacky Neighbor, 21 March 2012 - 12:35 PM.

#93 Remagellan

• 4110 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

Someone must be asleep at the switch. Still no email from Modells alerting me that stores will open extra early tomorrow with tables full of Tebow-wear.

:rolling:

#94 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 13698 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

Holy shit. If you were annoyed by the volume of Tebowmania the worst thing possible just happened - it got turned up to 11.

I have no idea what the Jets are trying to accomplish - Shelterdog breaks down the cap consequences of the Sanchize's extension on the previous page and it is simply not feasible for the Jets to cut him without severe penalties and I can't imagine anyone would trade anything for the Sanchize, at this point.

Tebow + Sparano makes some sense, sort of, but since Rex & his staff are most likely going to walk the plank if they finish below the Bills in 2012, this is ludacrisp.

Oh, and a 4th & 6th for Tebow & a 7th is more than I thought the Broncos would get.

#95 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3094 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

A Jet fan just called WFAN defending the trade. "Mike, the girls at my gym are even talking about it right now. He's a phenomenon."

Great way to run an organization.

#96 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 3918 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

In much the same way that I'm now rooting for Jesus Montero to be a Hall of Famer, I'm now the world's biggest fan of whomever the Broncos draft with the Jets' 4th-rounder.

#97 Darnell's Son

• 4031 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

A Jet fan just called WFAN defending the trade. "Mike, the girls at my gym are even talking about it right now. He's a phenomenon."

Great way to run an organization.

Was the caller Tannenbaum? I know it wasn't Rex because he was at a gym.

#98 JMDurron

• 4260 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

The Jets just traded for the only starting QB in the NFL that the Patriots secondary can contain.

More seriously, given how much Denver played with Tebow, despite much of that being the defense, special teams, and the running game, you have to at least entertain the notion that Tebow over Sanchez might actually be a net gain for the Jets in ways that we can't really measure up front.

Less seriously, AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

This made my afternoon.

#99 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6599 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

With over 55,000 votes in, Tebow is the clubhouse leader among fans

http://sports.espn.g...n&pollId=135851

#100 soPhisHticated

• 432 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

I can't believe that the Jags couldn't or wouldn't beat that offer. Any chance this is Elway's retribution for Tebow screwing up his high draft pick?