Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Pitching Mechanics and Pitch f/x. With Videos!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 11032 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

I ran across this on SBN this morning and thought that people interested in pitching mechanics might find it interesting. Trevor Bauer, he of the 400 foot long toss sessions, has posted a series of videos on youtube showing him throwing his repertoire of pitches. Thought it might be good to have a place to talk about pitching mechanics and Pitch f/x in general again.

#2 Carmine

• 55 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

Cool stuff. Bauer definitely has some funk to his motion, but no red flags really jump out to me. He loads his scalp well and his arm action is ideal -- arm-side elbow below the shoulder. He's extremely deceptive. I'm also a long-toss advocate and am rooting for the guy in the same way I did with Lincecum back when he was "too short and destined to be a bullpen guy".

edit add: Is there a pitch f/x for dummies guide anywhere online? I've told myself this is one area this season where I want to learn more about, but can't seem to find anything that isn't written in code.

Edited by Carmine, 20 March 2012 - 12:59 PM.

#3 Phragle

• wild card bitches

• 11235 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

I ran across this on SBN this morning and thought that people interested in pitching mechanics might find it interesting. Trevor Bauer, he of the 400 foot long toss sessions, has posted a series of videos on youtube showing him throwing his repertoire of pitches. Thought it might be good to have a place to talk about pitching mechanics and Pitch f/x in general again.

Bauer is doing incredible things for pitching and pitch f/x. We should trade for him now before he's untouchable, but I don't want to get off topic.

Let me download Paintbrush and I'll post hit charts with some notes.

The reverse slider is cool, but the name is deceiving. It's kind of like a straight change with a quick, sharp wrist pronation just before release.

#4 Phragle

• wild card bitches

• 11235 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

Looks like I don't need PB.

Here are the charts from Bauer's play card over at Brooks. Keep in mind these charts are from the catchers view. The videos Abs posted are from the pitchers view.

This one is Speed x Horizontal Movement, and in this case shows the most clear groupings.

Posted Image

The black group are the fastballs, the purple are the "reverse sliders", and the yellow group are the curveballs. The one navy blue dot is the splitter and the red dots are the sliders. The maroon dot in between the red dots is also a slider.

The "reverse slider" is quite a bit faster than the slider, and according to the chart below also has significantly more horizontal movement. So it's not a "reverse slider" but if wants to call it that I don't care.

Posted Image

Above is the Horizontal x Vertical Movement chart.

#5 Jnai

• is not worried about sex with goats

• 9402 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

edit add: Is there a pitch f/x for dummies guide anywhere online? I've told myself this is one area this season where I want to learn more about, but can't seem to find anything that isn't written in code.

Probably the best guide out there:
http://webusers.npl....astPFXGuide.pdf
http://fastballs.wor...y-pitch-fields/

I am usually good for a question or two as well.

#6 StupendousMan

• 495 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:23 AM

Based upon the videos he's posted of the "Reverse Slider" and the fastball, the two pitches are almost identical. The "reverse slider" has a spin axis which is slightly tilted -- not horizontal, like the fastball. In the video, the "reverse slider" appears to get its tilted axis due to the grip: the ring finger applies a bit of torque as the ball leaves the hand. I can't tell from these videos if the rate of spin is significantly different.

#7 Carmine

• 55 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

Based upon the videos he's posted of the "Reverse Slider" and the fastball, the two pitches are almost identical. The "reverse slider" has a spin axis which is slightly tilted -- not horizontal, like the fastball. In the video, the "reverse slider" appears to get its tilted axis due to the grip: the ring finger applies a bit of torque as the ball leaves the hand. I can't tell from these videos if the rate of spin is significantly different.

Yeah, it's a pronated fastball, which basically just resembles a two-seamer. I hate when people call it a reverse-slider. You might as well call it a screwball.

I am usually good for a question or two as well.

Thanks, Dan. Long-time user of your site. I'm sure I'll be hitting you up with questions throughout the season.

Edited by Carmine, 21 March 2012 - 10:00 AM.

#8 Jnai

• is not worried about sex with goats

• 9402 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:08 AM

Our article on our new Umpire Statistics is up at THT:
http://www.hardballt...ire-statistics/

No more guessing what an umpire's strikezone will be like!
http://brooksbasebal.../ump_Search.php

[No using this data to rip umpires, don't want my site nuked =) ]

#9 Buzzkill Pauley

• SoSH Member

• 5267 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:34 AM

jnai, that is a thing of beauty -- the heat maps in particular are amazing!