Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

3 PM Trade Deadline Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
211 replies to this topic

#101 Mike in CT

• 2,125 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

This franchise is probably now guaranteed at least 2 horrendously awful rebuilding years.

Rondo's bargain contract is now less valuable to the Celtics. They either now have to try to extend him or trade him asap. Leading a group of youngsters is pointless.

#102 irishtap03

• 87 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

What good deal was on the table that Danny should have pulled the trigger on?

Always tough to sort fact from fiction but if Ray was available for a first round pick next year he should have pulled the trigger. This team can not win, it can't. Anyone that thinks it can is kidding themself. So now Ray will walk next year and we get nothing or even worse we resign him and bring the same group back. I know a first rd pick in the 20's doesn't get everyone excited but when you have three first round picks in what is a deeper draft you have some options.

Also by keeping Ray you more than likely worsen your own draft pick next year by winning a few more games, maybe even a first round series. When you rebuild it is all about getting as many young assets as you can. Danny missed a chance to do that.

#103 teddykgb

• 3,657 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

Well, they're the 7th seed in the West and didn't really acquire any long contracts. Camby is still useful on the defensive end and as a rebounder, and expires this year. Fisher has another year, but is cheap, but I'm sure the key for them is the draft pick.

edit: also, Fisher's gonna be bought out.

Yeah, I made this post before I knew they got a pick. But why Camby of all people? 7th in the West and you get a guy like that ... Morey is a really shrewd guy I just don't see why he thinks he's really a 3 or 4 seed in the West with a chance to make a run with Camby in there. Maybe they are, it will be interesting to see. The fisher thing makes more sense now that you find out they get a pick and are going to buy him out, when it seemed like they actually just wanted fisher and camby it was pretty baffling to me.

#104 A Bartlett Giamatti

• 2,049 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

It's Fisher and a 1st for Hill.

Right...my point was more about them being happy to send the NBPA out of his town after a contentious lockout.

#105 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,697 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

This franchise is probably now guaranteed at least 2 horrendously awful rebuilding years.

Rondo's bargain contract is now less valuable to the Celtics. They either now have to try to extend him or trade him asap. Leading a group of youngsters is pointless.

This was already happening. What was out there to help them avoid horrendously awful rebuilding years? Maybe they should have completely screwed up like the Nets?

Always tough to sort fact from fiction but if Ray was available for a first round pick next year he should have pulled the trigger. This team can not win, it can't. Anyone that thinks it can is kidding themself. So now Ray will walk next year and we get nothing or even worse we resign him and bring the same group back. I know a first rd pick in the 20's doesn't get everyone excited but when you have three first round picks in what is a deeper draft you have some options.

Also by keeping Ray you more than likely worsen your own draft pick next year by winning a few more games, maybe even a first round series. When you rebuild it is all about getting as many young assets as you can. Danny missed a chance to do that.

I think I would have taken a first as well, just to get something. Playoff success doesn't matter though, NBA draft order is determined by regular season record, playoffs are irrelevant. And I think the rest of the schedule will keep them around the 15-18 range. Also they can buy a first round pick if they want. Happens all the time.

#106 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,697 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

Right...my point was more about them being happy to send the NBPA out of his town after a contentious lockout.

Ahh sorry, was in robot trade-fact mode.

#107 jp9183

• 111 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

I mean i`m not sentimental. Pierce retiring in a Cs uniform is nice but likely costs us a few years winning. FA is pretty empty for us unless we deal Rondo for a non-PG. I`d have taken a 2 year contract back for PP for the right assets instead of just an expiring deal but who knows

Edited by jp9183, 15 March 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#108 the1andonly3003

• 994 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

Y! Sports reporting Clippers get Nick Young as part of three-team deal

#109 irishtap03

• 87 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

I mean i`m not sentimental. Pierce retiring in a Cs uniform is nice but likely costs us a few years winning. FA is pretty empty for us unless we deal Rondo for a non-PG. I`d have taken a 2 year contract back for PP for the right assets instead of just an expiring deal but who knows

I still think Pierce has more trade value during the offseason. Right now you were dealing with maybe 5 teams that had the right assets and contracts to make a deal. In the offseason you end up with more teams that have the flexibilty to make the move.

Ray was the only part that you had to move now (Assuming KG couldn't be dealt because of the deal).

#110 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,697 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

WojYahooNBA: The Clippers have traded for Washington's Nick Young as part of a three-way deal, source tells Y! Sports.

Damn, I was hoping the Clips wouldn't add anyone. Then again, Young is a sieve on D and doesn't bring much more than the guys they already have at the 2.

#111 the1andonly3003

• 994 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

WojYahooNBA:
As part of three-team deal, Nene goes to the Wizards, JaVale McGee to Denver and Nick Young to Clippers, sources tell Y! Sports. [via Twitter]

#112 the1andonly3003

• 994 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

after all those trades, Portland fires Nate McMillan according to Y! Sports

Edited by the1andonly3003, 15 March 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#113 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,697 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

SpearsNBAYahoo: Clippers acquire guard Nick Young from the Washington Wizards for forward Brian Cook and a pick, source tells Y! Sports.

#114 Statman

• 595 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

https://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA

Adrian Wojnarowski@WojYahooNBA

As part of three-team deal, Nene goes to the Wizards, JaVale McGee to Denver and Nick Young to Clippers, sources tell Y! Sports.

#115 SoxFanInPdx

• 1,742 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

Great news! About 2 years too late though. The way that team has played has been a disgrace. Rumor is they called every team in the league about Felton, not one team wanted him.

#116 A Bartlett Giamatti

• 2,049 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

Today Paul Allen settles all family business.

#117 the1andonly3003

• 994 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

So the Clippers gave up who to get Nick Young?

Edited by the1andonly3003, 15 March 2012 - 02:46 PM.

#118 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,697 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

So the Clippers gave up who to get Nick Young?

Cook and a 2nd.

#119 the1andonly3003

• 994 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

Cook and a 2nd.

Exactly...nobodies float around with Nene, McGee and Young moving...Clippers gave up the least?

#120 The Social Chair

• 900 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

Nene was the belle at the ball in December, and now gets dumped 4 months later.

#121 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,697 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

I'm not convinced the Celtics haven't done anything until I see an actual quote from Danny Ainge himself.

#122 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 21,306 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

I'm not convinced the Celtics haven't done anything until I see an actual quote from Danny Ainge himself.

A deal for Hickson would have been nice, since the team is running out of big men. Hickson showed some beast potential on the boards when working opposite James a few years back, and the Celtics could really use a rebounder.

#123 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,697 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

Still can't believe the Nets. Also, smooth move by Orlando promising Dwight they would make a move, getting his commitment to next year, then not making a move.

#124 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,676 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

The Celtics had serious trade talks on Paul Pierce and Ray Allen with several teams, but no deal came together, league sources tell Y!

https://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA/status/180389750723719168
link to tweet
link to tweet

#125 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,697 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

Red's got it. I'd love to hear some of the proposals.

Edited by Jed Zeppelin, 15 March 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#126 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,408 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

Always tough to sort fact from fiction but if Ray was available for a first round pick next year he should have pulled the trigger.

Why? You really think getting another Lester Hudson or JR Giddens would make a difference? A late first round pick? Eh...

I think way too much is made of the "can't let the C's get old like Red did" is silly. It's a completely different game and league now, Reggie died, and it's not as if acquiring Person and Schrempf would have guaranteed the C's championship reign would have lasted forever.

#127 jp9183

• 111 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

Why? You really think getting another Lester Hudson or JR Giddens would make a difference? A late first round pick? Eh...

I think way too much is made of the "can't let the C's get old like Red did" is silly. It's a completely different game and league now, Reggie died, and it's not as if acquiring Person and Schrempf would have guaranteed the C's championship reign would have lasted forever.

No, but i`d rather have the lottery pick we`d have from our pick after that deal myself

#128 dolomite133

• everything I write, think and feel is stupid

• 5,920 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

Yeah, but when salaries come off the books, you lose trading leverage and are left with two options: The draft and free agency. The Celtics aren't expected to land a franchise player in the draft and the free agent pool looks shallow this offseason. So what happens now, since we didn't make a move, is we put off rebuilding for at least one year. I expect we'll find ourselves in the same position during the 2012/13 trading deadline/offseason as we're in now.

Edited by dolomite133, 15 March 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#129 Rudy Pemberton

• 28,408 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

Yeah, but when salaries come off the books, you lose trading leverage and are left with two options: The draft and free agency. The Celtics aren't expected to land a franchise player in the draft and the free agent pool looks shallow this offseason. So what happens now, since we didn't make a move, is we put off rebuilding for at least one year. I don't see things being much different then either.

If you're Wyc Grousbeck, would you have traded Ray Allen to the Bulls for a pick in the mid 20's, though?

#130 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,697 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:51 PM

No, but i`d rather have the lottery pick we`d have from our pick after that deal myself

Trading KG would be the only sure way to miss the playoffs in the terrible East.

Yeah, but when salaries come off the books, you lose trading leverage and are left with two options: The draft and free agency. The Celtics aren't expected to land a franchise player in the draft and the free agent pool looks shallow this offseason. So what happens now, since we didn't make a move, is we put off rebuilding for at least one year. I expect we'll find ourselves in the same position during the 2012/13 trading deadline/offseason as we're in now.

You can trade for players without sending any salary back. That is a lot of flexibility to have and certainly not worthless.

#131 dolomite133

• 5,920 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

If you're Wyc Grousbeck, would you have traded Ray Allen to the Bulls for a pick in the mid 20's, though?

Yes. A mid-20s pick translates into a young, low cost player who could develop into a rotation player on a contender. Meanwhile Ray Allen is an expiring contract which is (or was) only valuable as a trade chip.

And if the Celtics win the title this year I'll gladly eat crow.

#132 radsoxfan

• SoSH Member

• 7,718 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

Ray was probably only going to get a late 1st rounder (none of the bad teams with good first rounders likely cared about a veteran 2 month rental). I'm totally fine with keeping Ray at that price.

Surprised at the Nene deal though..... everyone spent all offseason drooling over the guy, and then they deal him after a couple months.

#133 dolomite133

• 5,920 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

You can trade for players without sending any salary back. That is a lot of flexibility to have and certainly not worthless.

Jed, this argument has been brought up several times here. My response has always been, What will this flexibility get us next year? A franchise player? Some team's overpriced castoffs? Nothing at all?

#134 Rudy Pemberton

• 28,408 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

Jed, this argument has been brought up several times here. My response has always been, What will this flexibility get us next year? A franchise player? Some team's overpriced castoffs? Nothing at all?

but a trade of ray allen for the next jajuan johnson would have changed things?

just enjoy this season for what it is

#135 gammoseditor

• also had a stroke

• 2,813 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

Not to mention no one can answer this question until the offseason.

#136 dolomite133

• 5,920 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

but a trade of ray allen for the next jajuan johnson would have changed things?

just enjoy this season for what it is

We'll never know, but next year I'd prefer a late first-rounder at the end of the bench than Keyon Dooling or a camp invitee/D-League call-up. And if we flame out in the first or second round, as I predict, it ain't gonna be that enjoyable.

#137 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,697 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

We won't know either way until it happens. Maybe it gets us someone like Josh Smith. Nobody expected LA would trade Odom for nothing; I'm sure there will be moves out there that none of us have thought about.

I will 100% come here and say you were right if Ainge makes a bunch of Darko-type signings to fill the cap space, but I don't think that's what will happen.

#138 Brickowski

• 3,701 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

Unless there are significant unannounced deals, it appears to me that several sinking ships managed to rearrange their deck chairs, starting with the Portland Trail Blazers.

#139 dolomite133

• 5,920 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Not to mention no one can answer this question until the offseason.

You kind of can.

You tell me which unrestricted free agents you'd use cap space on? Will we (over)pay Ilyasova? Many of the top free agents are point guards, a redundant position with Rondo on the roster.

#140 radsoxfan

• SoSH Member

• 7,718 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

Unless there are significant unannounced deals, it appears to me that several sinking ships managed to rearrange their deck chairs, starting with the Portland Trail Blazers.

Didn't Portland just get a top 7 first round pick for a player they didn't plan on keeping anyway?

Some teams probably did just rearrange chairs, but hard to include Portland on that list. They probably made one of the more impactful trades of the day.

#141 radsoxfan

• SoSH Member

• 7,718 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

We'll never know, but next year I'd prefer a late first-rounder at the end of the bench than Keyon Dooling or a camp invitee/D-League call-up. And if we flame out in the first or second round, as I predict, it ain't gonna be that enjoyable.

A late first rounder is marginally better, but its really not a big deal. Especially since the Celtics already have two.

Unless we have some better evidence of trades that included some real young talent or high draft picks that Danny passed on....your general point is misguided.

Yes, rebuilding would be nice considering the slim chances this year. But there was likely nothing out there that would have made more than a very minor impact on next season an beyond.

Just enjoy the rest of the season, as unlikely as a title may be.

#142 dolomite133

• 5,920 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

We won't know either way until it happens. Maybe it gets us someone like Josh Smith. Nobody expected LA would trade Odom for nothing; I'm sure there will be moves out there that none of us have thought about.

I will 100% come here and say you were right if Ainge makes a bunch of Darko-type signings to fill the cap space, but I don't think that's what will happen.

I'm not sure invoking Lamar Odom is a good thing.

My expectation now is that we will return next season with a roster of Rondo, Bradley, Pierce and Green with Jajuan and Moore off the bench. Add to that couple of free agent centers (including one mutli-year deal for a shitty player?), free agent small forward, Brandon Bass (if he picks up the $4M option), maybe what's left of KG or Ray (if they continue playing) and a couple of draft picks at the end of the bench. That's 14 players there. If KG and Ray did return that would put us right around the salary cap, I'd guess.

#143 ElcaballitoMVP

• 2,139 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

Didn't Portland just get a top 7 first round pick for a player they didn't plan on keeping anyway?

Some teams probably did just rearrange chairs, but hard to include Portland on that list. They probably made one of the more impactful trades of the day.

They not only got that pick, but I'm pretty sure they also freed up enough cap room to potentially add a max contract to Aldridge/Batum. Not a bad problem to have.

#144 irishtap03

• 87 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

They not only got that pick, but I'm pretty sure they also freed up enough cap room to potentially add a max contract to Aldridge/Batum. Not a bad problem to have.

and people laughed when I suggested Pierce for the Nets draft pick. Truth be told a lot of these GM's make decisions based on keeping their job. In NJ case they are so afraid that DWill will walk that they made an awful trade. Teams need to be more realistic about who they are. The second Howard decided to stay for one more year NJ should have traded DWill. Hell I bet the Lakers would have done Pau for DWill. I don't think they would have done him for Bynum but could have asked first. At least with Pau you hold his rights into the offseason when you could spin him into something else to help rebuild again. Or hell Lopez, Pau, and whoever you get with their first round pick isn't all that bad of a start. NJ could have, in theory, made this deal and if tried to resign DWill in the offseason as playing with Lopez, Pau and whatever you get with your first round pick is a very very solid base.

#145 Three10toLeft

• 799 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

They freed up enough for a max contract guy. And if that pick hits in the top 7, well... They could have very helped furnish Derron Williams new home.

#146 dolomite133

• 5,920 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

BTW here was a look at NBA team's projected cap space prior to today's trades.

#147 Brickowski

• 3,701 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

Portland fired a good coach and got rid of two of their better defenders (Camby and Wallace). Obviously this is a blow up, planning to rebuild around Aldridge and Batum. Too bad they couldn't unload Felton-- no takers, apparently. It remains to be seen if going into the tank will be successful.

#148 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 12,012 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

A deal for Hickson would have been nice, since the team is running out of big men. Hickson showed some beast potential on the boards when working opposite James a few years back, and the Celtics could really use a rebounder.

Greg Oden will soon be available. :)

#149 The Social Chair

• 900 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

This Chris Mannix tweet made me laugh out loud.

Nets already trying to regroup. Two names on the radar this offseason: Kevin Garnett and Ryan Anderson.

#150 collings94

• PipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

I like how the one time everyone wants Ainge to make a big move he does nothing, but when everything is going well like last year, he feels compelled to make a dumb trade by swapping the linchpin of your defense for an underachieving lottery pick with a heart ailment. Woo Hoo!