Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Need recommendation for professional quality all-in-one

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OilCanShotTupac

• Not Clowning Around

• 8,462 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

Hi.

I have a new home-office setup. I need a new all-in-one, and am looking for a recommendation.

It's got to be a high-quality, sturdy machine, because I'm going to be using it heavily.

What I need:

-Laser, NOT inkjet
-Black and white
-Good print/copy speed
-Automatic document feeder that is not a piece of shit that will choke on 5 pages
-Scans to PDF
-Fax not necessary (I use eFax)
-Wireless would be great, IF it's reliable

I'm willing to spend a couple of bucks to get the right machine. I have a piece of shit HP inkjet all-in-one right now, and I want to kick it down the street - it tends to shit the bed when I need it most (like today).

Thanks.

#2 Scott Cooper's Grand Slam

• 556 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

I've had a networked, laser Brother printer for about six years now and I'm very happy with it. It's a real workhorse, I've never had a problem with it. If I were looking for a multifunction machine, I'd start with Brother: http://www.brother-u...20#.T10HHfFmLpg

#3 Curtis Pride

• 812 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

My company has a lot of home offices across the country, and we usually get Brother MFCs for them. We also have a few Dells, but they were often part of the Dell package. They've been very reliable for us.

#4 The_Powa_of_Seiji_Ozawa

• 4,194 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

Brothers are good machines, also cost effective per page, but if you want to network them they have been a bitch, at least in my experience. Canon are just as good and, for me, have been much easier to network. The Canon 4300d series has been very good for me over the last bunch of years, does duplex printing. You can get a networkable one for about 100 on sale.

#5 Trautwein's Degree

• a Connecticut bicycle attorney in General Motor's Court

• 9,995 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

I've thought about an all in one solution but I can't get away from how awesome the Fujitsu Snapscan 1500 is. Check out the reviews. Watch videos on youtube. And it comes with Adobe for $419 it is a steal. I'm opting for that and a separate laser printer.

Edited by Trautwein's Degree, 11 March 2012 - 07:29 PM.

#6 LoweTek

• 775 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

I have a severely underutilized HP 2840 I'll sell to you cheap. It's a beast. It's color but I use it for black only. HP brand toner is a bit pricey but there's OEM stuff out there much cheaper. It's wired network and I've never had any trouble with it being connected. The software is rather clunky. I don't use the scanning feature very often so I have the full software suite installed on a secondary machine I boot only when I need to scan. I just have the basic printer driver installed in my primary PC. It does scan directly to PDF. When it's in stand-by it wakes up every once in a while and re-calibrates itself, which can be a bit startling but you get used to it. I leave it off when I'm not using it. Let me know if you're interested.

http://www.amazon.co...31555152&sr=8-1

#7 OilCanShotTupac

• Not Clowning Around

• 8,462 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:07 AM

Traut, I've read the reviews of the SnapScan and it looks great. One question: what would the copier solution be? I often have to make 5-8 copies of 100+ page documents at a time. Would the solution be to scan the document with the SnapScan and then print it? How would that compare with a high end all-in-one for speed, ease of use, and copy quality?

#8 Trautwein's Degree

• a Connecticut bicycle attorney in General Motor's Court

• 9,995 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

Yes, scan and then print. The adobe software that comes with the snapscan is more expensive than the scanner. Which is insane. I have no interest in anything other than digital copies unless I'm forced to. If I had to copy a lot of documents - I'd go to Staples.

#9 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 34,586 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

Why don't you just lease or buy an ImageRunner or something? You're a kick-ass lawyer and every minute of trying to fiddle with some shitbag prosumer thing is every minute you're not triple billing.

If you want a truly digital office then this is your most important investment

#10 OilCanShotTupac

• Not Clowning Around

• 8,462 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

This is exactly the kind of recommendation I was looking for. Thanks.

#11 wibi

• SoSH Member

• 7,968 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

Bumping this thread as I'm in need of a new home printer

Needs to be connected to the wifi network and not through a single computer

Needs to be able to print color

Would prefer a scanner but not necessary

Would prefer something that could duplex but not if it drives the price too high

Any suggestions?

#12 Fratboy

• Mr. MENsa

• 12,067 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

I"m in a similar boat at OCST, as I just started to work from home fulltime. I've got a laser printer right now, but the occasional fax and scanning would be handy as well.

#13 ScubaSteveAvery

• the goats! think of the goats!

• 7,148 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

Wibi and Frat, I bought an Epson Workforce 645 last year. It does fax, scan, and color. I know it duplex scans and I'm pretty sure it duplex prints. It's not the fastest printer in the world, but the wifi works great on it. One benefit is that you can buy the color cartridges by color and not just all colors combined. I liked this because I would always run out of blue or something with tons of yellow or magenta left over. Not laser jet if that matters.

I bought it for $99 on Amazon, although it looks like the price is now in the $120 range.

Edited by ScubaSteveAvery, 06 June 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#14 OilCanShotTupac

• Not Clowning Around

• 8,462 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

Just saw that this thread had been bumped so I thought I'd let folks know what I eventually got last year.

It's a Kyocera FS1035MPF: http://www.kyocerado...s1035mfpdp.html

I gave up dealing with Staples, Best Buy, etc., and found a good copier/printer dealer online, and this is what he recommended.  I got one additional paper feeder to increase capacity, it can accomodate two.

I fucking love it.  I have had it for a year, using it very heavily, and it has jammed exactly once.  I often have to copy/print very large sets of legal papers (250-500+ pages/document, 3-7+ copies of each) and it is fast and reliable.  The scanner is great.  I do not use the fax capability, but it has that.  I don't have it networked, but I might be doing that in the near future.

The downsides are: no color printing/copying (one of my clients lets me do this at his office when I need to, which is not often); it is big; it was not cheap (~ $1300, with the extra paper feeder and shipping from NC to NY); ink cartridges are not cheap and not available in retail stores, you have to order them online (each cartridge is $100-125, although you can sometimes get them on sale with a volume discount for $75-85; I usually keep a couple on hand, because you can't run to Staples and get one when they run out; fortunately each one lasts 4-5 months, even with fairly heavy use).

It's overkill if you are not dealing with large volumes of printing, but if you are, it's a beast.

I can give anyone interested the contact info for the dealer, he was good to work with.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users