It is a pretty amazing acheivement, for a stadium to last that long under any circumstances, so it's definitely worth celebrating and I thought it would be cool to share some of the interesting stories and facts about the lyric little bandbox.
So here's a few of the obvious ones:
- First official game was 4/20/1912 vs. the Highlanders, which was originally set for 4/18 but was rained out twice. http://miscbaseball....-april-20-1912/
- Earlier that week, the Titanic sunk.
- The first game at Fenway was an exhibition between the Sox and the Harvard Crimson, on April 9. http://harvardmagazi...-MAEdHighlights
- Finally, the Sox beat the New York Giants in the WS that season, with the final win on a 10th inning walk off sac fly off of Christy Mathewson. http://www.baseball-...n/1912_WS.shtml
- The first WS game at Fenway actually ended in a 6-6, 11 inning tie.