Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

The Injury Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
116 replies to this topic

#1 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9476 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

Unfortunately, the injuries are mounting and we might need a place to keep track of player movement and recoveries. Tuukka Rask and Daniel Paille join the wounded today, so Michael Hutchinson and Lane MacDermid have been recalled from Providence.

http://bruins.nhl.co...vid=DL|BOS|home

Boston Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli announced today that the club has recalled goaltender Michael Hutchinson and forward Lane MacDermid from the Providence Bruins on an emergency basis (American Hockey League). Both players are expected to join the team in New York and be available for Sunday afternoon’s game against the New York Rangers.

So to recap, here's where things stand:

- Nathan Horton: Out indefinitely, concussion (1/22).
- Rich Peverley: Out 4-6 weeks with an MLC sprain (2/15).
- Andrew Ference: Lower body injury (3/1).
- Tuukka Rask: Lower body Injury (3/3)...reports are he left the the building on crutches. Not good.
- Daniel Paille: Upper body injury (3/3)

Paille and Ference's injuries seem to be minor, though neither with play tomorrow.

Edited by cshea, 03 March 2012 - 07:00 PM.

#2 The Four Peters

• can peacefully dougie off this mortal coil

• 10985 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

Paille as a lower body injury? Sure looked like a shoulder to me.

#3 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9476 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

Paille as a lower body injury? Sure looked like a shoulder to me.

Fixed, you're right.

#4 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 16883 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

Interested to see what MacDermid can do at the NHL level. In a way I welcome the injuries - Savard aside, they haven't had a whole lot of injuries to deal with in the last couple of years, and IMO they'll be a better team if/when they learn how to win with them.

#5 Titoschew

• 2867 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

Wonder if Ference's lower body injury is one of his paper meche groins.

#6 erfus

• 1581 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

Interested to see what MacDermid can do at the NHL level.

My first thought was that he was brought up in a very Rangers-specific reaction to their roster full o' fighters. I hope he doesn't get killed tomorrow. Then I'd like Sauve to get a look against Toronto.

#7 DaveRoberts'Shoes

• Aaron Burr

• 2766 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

Tuukka's injury looked like his MCL to me, but I am totally throwing shit at the wall here. Regardless of the actual injury, I doubt we'll see him back in the next 4-6 weeks, which essentially ends his season, assuming Thomas is going to get all the playing time in goal during the playoffs. Meh.

#8 steveluck7

• 1119 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

Tuukka's injury looked like his MCL to me, but I am totally throwing shit at the wall here. Regardless of the actual injury, I doubt we'll see him back in the next 4-6 weeks, which essentially ends his season, assuming Thomas is going to get all the playing time in goal during the playoffs. Meh.

Really? From the overhead view, he immediately shed the glove and grabs his groin area. Looks like a quad or groin from that angle

#9 DaveRoberts'Shoes

• Aaron Burr

• 2766 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

Really? From the overhead view, he immediately shed the glove and grabs his groin area. Looks like a quad or groin from that angle

I didn't see that shot, no. FWIW, Kevin Paul DuPont tweeted that the injury is "believed to be left knee".

#10 TheRealness

• Don't make him go all Lucic on your ash

• 8175 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

Take this FWIW, but my roommate in college was also a goalie, and he injured his knee the exact same way. Like, exact same, deflection, kick out with left leg, and he tore a part of his MCL. It wasn't too bad, but he was texting me immediately after it happened calling it deja vu for him.

Either way, it fuckin' blows. They needed Tuukka the most in March with their schedule the way it is.

#11 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

Apparently Chia is putting out a press release about Rask this afternoon, obviously not good.

#12 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

Either way, it fuckin' blows. They needed Tuukka the most in March with their schedule the way it is.

Glass half empty: You're absolutely right, compressed schedule, need to give Timmethuselah a rest

Glass half full: the compressed schedule means they have 3 games in hand on the Sens (plus the 3 pts), they can afford to see how Hutch responds in a game or two.

Of course, if they get passed by the Sens (I don't see it happening with the overall team depth/aptitude at offense and defense) it could make for a precipitous drop in the standings based on the division winner playoff seeding formula.

#13 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13405 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

Mike Miccoli@MikeMiccoli
News about to get worse for Bruins fans. Re: Rask.

#14 TheShynessClinic

• SoSH's Doug Neidermeyer

• 5891 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

With all the luck the Bruins got en-route to the cup last year, it figures that it would come back in spades.

Maybe this will at least allow the Bruins to re-sign Rask at a pretty team friendly contract. Ride out the end of Thomas' contract next year, and then let Tuukka take over fully healthy in 2014/2015.

#15 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15306 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

Rask's injury doesn't directly hurt a ton as he's really only missing a handful of games given his ratio of starts this year. The ripple effect, though, could be devastating. The division isn't locked up and the backup is likely to be well below average. They now need to ride Thomas when he's already looking iffy half the time, and hope he doesn't die sometime in the next 18 games trying to slide from one post to the other.

#16 Titoschew

• 2867 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

Joe Haggerty@HackswithHaggs
#BruinsTalk: Update for Tuukka Rask will be tomorrow when the team's medical staff has been able to fully evaluate the injury.

#17 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13405 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

Kirk Luedeke@kluedeke29
Bruins prospect Alexander Khokhlachev suffered lacerated kidney Sat. nite vs. Plymouth and is out rest of the year statement from Windsor

#18 BoSoxFink

• Stripes

• 4751 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

Kirk Luedeke ‏ @kluedeke29
Bruins prospect Alexander Khokhlachev suffered lacerated kidney Sat. nite vs. Plymouth and is out rest of the year statement from Windsor

Ummmmm.......Ouch!

#19 Blacken

• Paddy Tanniger the Caddy Manager

• 8210 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:37 PM

I'm trying to visualize how you lacerate a kidney playing hockey and I'm not having much luck.

#20 PedroSpecialK

• 16883 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:41 PM

Ribeiro.mpg

#21 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25414 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

I know, it's KPD, but still:

GlobeKPD Read on Rask: injury is NOT knee or joint related. Will need recovery period, but overall: bullet, dodged.

51 minutes ago reply

Not knee or joint, so a pulled muscle in all likelihood. Groin?

#22 NickEsasky

• Code Name: Duchess

• 6792 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

He did reach for his groin when he threw off his glove. If it's not his knee then that would be my guess.

#23 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 7207 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

That's what the radio guys were speculating when it happened. Either hammy or groin. Certainly not good but generally much better than a busted knee.

#24 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6044 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

Groin injuries are trouble for goalies, they tend to be nagging injuries - not good.

#25 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 7207 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

Hopefully a full offseason rehabbing it would the long-term problems somewhat. It's not like he's going to be pushed too hard for the rest of the year if he comes back.

#26 TheRealness

• 8175 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

So still not official update, huh?

#27 FelixMantilla

• reincarnated mr hate

• 8578 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

I am stuck at work and can't get an update. I was counting on PSK.....I had heard he was the Corsi of RMPS.

#28 PedroSpecialK

• 16883 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

Last I heard he was traded for PK Subban

#29 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 9899 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

RT @nhlbruins: Rask sidelined 4-6 weeks with lower abdomen strain/groin strain http://bbru.in/rask30512 ^BB

#30 FelixMantilla

• reincarnated mr hate

• 8578 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

You da man hop!

#31 Blacken

• 8210 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

Goddamn groins.

At least he'll be back before the end of the year, though. I am increasingly scared of Timmy in the playoffs, and am sort of expecting a flameout that'll need a second goalie to step in.

#32 PedroSpecialK

• 16883 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

Thank jesus it wasn't the knee.

#33 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25414 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

Yeah, this is bad but it could have been much, much worse.

Bad break for Tuukka.

#34 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5644 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

Yeah, this is bad but it could have been much, much worse.

Bad break for Tuukka.

Not a break.(thank god) but still bad.

#35 veritas

• 562 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

I'm not a doctor, but I feel like non-ligament injury is good news for this year but probably worse going forward. ACL/MCL injuries usually have a longer recovery time but don't become chronic problems. Muscle strains can heal quicker but are more likely to be re-injured later on. And a goalie puts a lot of strain on their groin/abdominal core muscles, whichever one Tuukka injured.

#36 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13405 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:06 PM

add Pouliot to the list - lower body

CJ on Pouliot leaving game: "More of a precaution thing than anything...Lower body injury."^BISH
CJ, more on 67: "We may see him next game, or we might evaluate him tomorrow...and have some more on him."^BISH

#37 PedroSpecialK

• 16883 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

Gotta hope Paille and/or Ference are ready to roll for Thursday's game. If they aren't:

Lucic - Krejci - Seguin
Marchand - Bergeron - Caron
Rolston - Kelly - Sauvé
MacDermid - Campbell - Thornton

isn't the worst lineup in the world - particularly with Caron's skyrocketing play.

#38 Eddie Jurak

• Go Leafs Go

• 8731 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:55 AM

Losing Pouliot, at least, is addition by subtraction.

#39 TheShynessClinic

• SoSH's Doug Neidermeyer

• 5891 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

Losing Pouliot, at least, is addition by subtraction.

This is such a stupid and lazy comment.

Pouliot has been a pretty dependable, and solid 3rd/4th line player for the B's this year. Especially now that he's cut back on the stupid penalties. Forget where he was drafted and look at what he's given the team this year. He's a known commodity and claiming at this point (with Horton, Peverley, and Paille being out) that his subtraction makes the Bruins better is dumb.

#40 TheRealness

• 8175 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

This is such a stupid and lazy comment.

Pouliot has been a pretty dependable, and solid 3rd/4th line player for the B's this year. Especially now that he's cut back on the stupid penalties. Forget where he was drafted and look at what he's given the team this year. He's a known commodity and claiming at this point (with Horton, Peverley, and Paille being out) that his subtraction makes the Bruins better is dumb.

I agree. He isn't going to meet the expectations of a top 5 pick, but he's been good this year. He's physical, can create some offense, and has a decent show. He's a solid 3rd line winger. In fact, if the Bruins are 100% healthy, and he's skating with Peverley and Kelly all year, I suspect his point total would look a lot better than it does.

#41 NYCSox

• chris hansen of goats

• 6316 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Speaking of the third line, they were on pace for 40+ goals before Horton got hurt (causing Peverly to move up). That is really friggin good in the modern NHL. Hell it would have been somewhat respectable in the run and gun 80s.

#42 Salem's Lot

• Andy Moog! Andy God Damn Moog!

• 1512 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

Ference & Paille both practicing according to Bruins Twitter.

Edit- both of them skated on there own for 20 minutes but did not go through the full practice.

Edited by Salem's Lot, 07 March 2012 - 12:24 PM.

#43 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13405 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

and both are out for tonight

Pouliot back in though

#44 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4647 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:57 AM

Oh joy

#45 PedroSpecialK

• 16883 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

I mean why not give Sauvé a shot at this point and make sure Balls are healthy long-term?

#46 Terras

• Says he wants a Revolution

• 1479 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

I mean why not give Sauvé a shot at this point and make sure Balls are healthy long-term?

Nice.

And I agree. He looked solid when I saw him in Providence and when I heard he was being called up I was glad to see he was getting a shot. That he hasn't seen a lick of ice time with all the injuries they've had baffles me. Even just to give someone else a maintenance day, you'd think he'd have gotten into a game at some point in the last two weeks.

#47 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22301 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:11 AM

Out of curiosity (and morbid fear), what happens if a team loses both of their NHL goalies and one of their AHL goalies to injury? Can they reach down to their ECHL affiliate and call up a goalie from there?

Edited by Lose Remerswaal, 09 March 2012 - 08:11 AM.

#48 Blacken

• 8210 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

They can.

However, in the Bruins' case, Adam Courchaine is already in Providence.

#49 PedroSpecialK

• 16883 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

They can also recall a player they have in juniors in an emergency situation where they lose 3 or more players of the same position.

#50 Blacken

• 8210 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

So you're telling me we need to hit Corvo and Mottau with a bus?