Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

The 2012 Miami Dolphins Thread: The Year of the Rookie HC/QB

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 pdaj

• 2406 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

The next few weeks will be very telling, as the Manning decision and free agency both kick off shortly. All signs point to either a Manning or Flynn FA signing. I'm all for taking a shot with Peyton (although the risk is a bit scary), but I wonder if that ends up including a trade-down for A&M's Tannehill. Adding a top T, CB, or pass rusher with the first pick would also be extremely tempting.

I love RGIII, but I worry about his size/durability. He had his share of injuries at Baylor. I also think the price will be far too steep for the Dolphins to be players.

Edited by pdaj, 25 October 2012 - 06:14 PM.

#2 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 15136 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

I'm not a Dolphins fan, but here's what I would do...
  • Sign Matt Flynn. Waiting on or hoping for Manning's health is a bad idea, especially when there's a guy who knows Philbin's system who will cost significantly less. Flynn is ready to get a starting gig - if he's going to be very good, it'll most likely be in a system he knows with a coach he knows and with weapons that resemble the ones he practiced with in GB.
  • Sign Wes Welker. If the Pats let him hit FA, signing Welker would be a great fit for the Fins - off and on the field. On the field, Welker, Marshall, Bess & Fasano are a step in the same direction as Jennings, Driver, Jones, Finley, etc. Off the field, it sells tickets and weakens a division rival. Plus, there's something appealing to the NE fan in me that sees the Dolphins over pay for Welker's decline after horrifically blowing the call on underpaying for his prime.
  • Trade Vontae Davis. You can't have a guy show up drunk for a game. You can't. And Davis has value in the trade market. It would downgrade their CB depth but the return will help and the message would be crystal clear - you can't show up drunk for work.
  • Find a RT worth a damn. Vernon Carey - who I wanted the Pats to take, way back in the day - is not a quality starter. Long & Pouncey are a good foundation - soldifying the line (which was Sparano's specialty, right?) would help.
  • Pick a defensive front and stick with it. 3-4, 4-3...I don't even know what they are trying to do there. If they go back to a 4-3, Odrick & Misi & Wake are a good foundation, so let Langford & Soliai find greener pastures. Just pick a system and go with it.

#3 jk333

• 1778 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

I'm not a Dolphins fan, but here's what I would do...

• Sign Matt Flynn. Waiting on or hoping for Manning's health is a bad idea, especially when there's a guy who knows Philbin's system who will cost significantly less. Flynn is ready to get a starting gig - if he's going to be very good, it'll most likely be in a system he knows with a coach he knows and with weapons that resemble the ones he practiced with in GB.
  • Sign Wes Welker. If the Pats let him hit FA, signing Welker would be a great fit for the Fins - off and on the field. On the field, Welker, Marshall, Bess & Fasano are a step in the same direction as Jennings, Driver, Jones, Finley, etc. Off the field, it sells tickets and weakens a division rival. Plus, there's something appealing to the NE fan in me that sees the Dolphins over pay for Welker's decline after horrifically blowing the call on underpaying for his prime.
  • Trade Vontae Davis. You can't have a guy show up drunk for a game. You can't. And Davis has value in the trade market. It would downgrade their CB depth but the return will help and the message would be crystal clear - you can't show up drunk for work.
  • Find a RT worth a damn. Vernon Carey - who I wanted the Pats to take, way back in the day - is not a quality starter. Long & Pouncey are a good foundation - soldifying the line (which was Sparano's specialty, right?) would help.
  • Pick a defensive front and stick with it. 3-4, 4-3...I don't even know what they are trying to do there. If they go back to a 4-3, Odrick & Misi & Wake are a good foundation, so let Langford & Soliai find greener pastures. Just pick a system and go with it.

The Dolphins already have Bess and they are paying huge money to Marshall. Welker isn't money well spent for the Dolphins, they should focus on QB, O-line and D-line. Even a down the field WR would be better for the Dolphins than Welker.

On Vontae Davis, hopefully they are on top of the situation. His brother was slow to mature but both are premium talents; if it's as bad as it appeared then trade him, maybe San Francisco or another team would offer a good offensive lineman.

#4 SaveBooFerriss

• twenty foreskins

• 6100 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

Trade Vontae Davis. You can't have a guy show up drunk for a game. You can't. And Davis has value in the trade market. It would downgrade their CB depth but the return will help and the message would be crystal clear - you can't show up drunk for work.

Do you have a link that states he showed up drunk for a game. There is a story about him being drunk, but I assume other accounts reflect it is more likely he was hungover, for a practice. Clearly, you don't want a guy visibly hung over for practice, but there is a big difference between hung over for practice and drunk for a game.

"We talkin' 'bout practice?" AI

#5 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 15136 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

No, there isn't a "big difference". He showed up drunk to work. Practice is work. He was subsequently suspended and missed a game. The phrase "reeking of alcohol" was used by a team official.

Ai was talking about giving 100% effort in PRACTICE; showing up to work "reeking of alcohol" is a different level of irresponsibility and the two aren't really comparable.

#6 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8812 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

No, there isn't a "big difference". He showed up drunk to work. Practice is work. He was subsequently suspended and missed a game. The phrase "reeking of alcohol" was used by a team official.

Ai was talking about giving 100% effort in PRACTICE; showing up to work "reeking of alcohol" is a different level of irresponsibility and the two aren't really comparable.

Vontae's also had these problems as a third year pro. I wouldn't count on him maturing any time soon. I'd be shocked if any team in the NFL trades anything more than a sixth or seventh round pick for him-frankly, the second he gets shopped you know he's going to get cut.

#7 SaveBooFerriss

• twenty foreskins

• 6100 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

You wrote that "You can't have a guy show up drunk for a game." He didn't do that. If you are going to judge someone, judge them on what they actually did. Don't make up facts.

I already stated you don't want people showing up hungover for practice, but I am sure it happens more than anyone would want.

Just as I am sure the majority of people on Sosh have shown up hungover for work at one time in thier lives.

Edit: To be consistent, I am sure you are advocating that the Sox trade Lester and Beckett - "They were drinking at work!!!."

Edited by SaveBooFerriss, 29 February 2012 - 04:13 PM.

#8 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 15136 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

You wrote that "You can't have a guy show up drunk for a game." He didn't do that. If you are going to judge someone, judge them on what they actually did. Don't make up facts.

I already stated you don't want people showing up hungover for practice, but I am sure it happens more than anyone would want.

Just as I am sure the majority of people on Sosh have shown up hungover for work at one time in thier lives.

Edit: To be consistent, I am sure you are advocating that the Sox trade Lester and Beckett - "They were drinking at work!!!."

I don't show up to work "reeking of alcohol". I would like to assume that a majority of people don't show up to work "reeking of alcohol". If you consider that acceptable, who am I to argue with your personal ethics? Good for you.

But you are right - I said game. He showed up "reeking of alcohol" to practice, got in a physical altercation with a teammate who called him out for "reeking of alcohol" at work and was suspended for a game, which I suppose is the real world equivalent of two-week without pay suspension, or more. I was wrong. He missed the game because he showed up drunk, or reeking of alcohol, or "hungover" AND got into a fight with a teammate.

As for your edit - nice sarcastic use of exclamation points but you missed the random "1" you would have needed to truly convey your contempt.

But that's beside the point. You've got a premise - showing up to practice "reeking of alcohol" is something a majority of people do, so it's acceptable. Stick with that.

#9 SMU_Sox

• loves his fluffykins

• 5102 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

The cultures are different one would think. If a MLB'ER came to practice drunk there would probably be a problem. Hungover is one thing, drunk is another.
More on the point of different cultures the NFL banned alcohol from lockerrooms and planes. Either way if the guy is a distraction get ris of him.

#10 collings94

• PipPip
  • 1182 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

QB wise they are in no-man's land. Matt Moore wasn't that bad last year, but if he is your QB your probably not going to the playoff's. Miami is fine trading for RGIII, and letting Moore start for like, half the season, OR drafting a QB from their regular draft position.

#11 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 16724 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

You're not going to essentially cut one of your best players for that. You just aren't. It's the NFL and careers are short enough without cycling through players for being hungover.

Regardless, an official didn't come out and say anything. A "source" told a reporter.

I think we all know the difference between those two things.

#12 jk333

• 1778 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

You're not going to essentially cut one of your best players for that. You just aren't. It's the NFL and careers are short enough without cycling through players for being hungover.

Agreed; he's a great cornerback. He got in a fight with Brandon Marshall but Marshall said that he just wants Davis back because he's a great player. The story is available http://miamiherald.t...e-practice.html

Plus, if he's only going to net a 3rd round pick he won't be traded, let alone for a 6th/7th. Anyway, Matt Flynn and Peyton Manning are interesting. With either, they should draft another QB that can compete for the job in a year or two with a mid round pick.

#13 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6784 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

QB wise they are in no-man's land. Matt Moore wasn't that bad last year, but if he is your QB your probably not going to the playoff's. Miami is fine trading for RGIII, and letting Moore start for like, half the season, OR drafting a QB from their regular draft position.

Curious why you think this. As a starter, he completed 60.1% of his passes at a 7.26 YPA with a 2:1 TD: INT ratio. The Dolphins went 6-3 in his 9 starts. He threw for 2,330 yards, 16 TDs, and 8 INTs in those 9 starts - projected to 16 games, this comes to 4142 yards, 28.4 TDs, 14.2 INTs, and 10.7 wins. I think he showed that he can at least be a playoff QB last year.

Edit: his 88.7 passer rating as a starter would have tied him with Phillip Rivers for #11 in the NFL last year

Double edit: sorry, my numbers were off. He started 12 games, and the Dolphins went 6-6 in those 12 games. They lost his first 3 starts (including the Tebow game), then went 6-3 down the stretch. His numbers projected to 16 games are actually 21.3 TDs, 10.7 INTs, and 3107 yards. Definitely not as impressive as those I listed above, but still pretty competent. With a good defense and the skill players Miami has, I'd say this is a good enough performance to be a playoff QB. Of course, that doesn't make him much different than a Flacco or a Sanchez... but I'd say he's a mid-tier NFL QB based on last year.

Edited by tims4wins, 29 February 2012 - 07:10 PM.

#14 collings94

• PipPip
  • 1182 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

Curious why you think this. As a starter, he completed 60.1% of his passes at a 7.26 YPA with a 2:1 TD: INT ratio. The Dolphins went 6-3 in his 9 starts. He threw for 2,330 yards, 16 TDs, and 8 INTs in those 9 starts - projected to 16 games, this comes to 4142 yards, 28.4 TDs, 14.2 INTs, and 10.7 wins. I think he showed that he can at least be a playoff QB last year.

Edit: his 88.7 passer rating as a starter would have tied him with Phillip Rivers for #11 in the NFL last year

Double edit: sorry, my numbers were off. He started 12 games, and the Dolphins went 6-6 in those 12 games. They lost his first 3 starts (including the Tebow game), then went 6-3 down the stretch. His numbers projected to 16 games are actually 21.3 TDs, 10.7 INTs, and 3107 yards. Definitely not as impressive as those I listed above, but still pretty competent. With a good defense and the skill players Miami has, I'd say this is a good enough performance to be a playoff QB. Of course, that doesn't make him much different than a Flacco or a Sanchez... but I'd say he's a mid-tier NFL QB based on last year.

Again though, competent enough, but would you rather have Moore, or have RGIII or another Rookie with a load of potential?

#15 the1andonly3003

• 985 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

They passed on Brady Quinn years ago...they have a chance to bring him in this offseason

#16 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8346 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

Flynn will be either franchised or not today. I think their preference is manning, Flynn, griffin. The latter would be so expensive that it would set them back from competing in 12 and 13. Maybe they don't anyways, but the foundation is not bad here.

No way they trade Davis.

I think they take the OT in first round and dl in 2nd round.

#17 epraz

• SoSH Member

• 5311 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

Flynn will be either franchised or not today. I think their preference is manning, Flynn, griffin. The latter would be so expensive that it would set them back from competing in 12 and 13. Maybe they don't anyways, but the foundation is not bad here.

If you're talking about the price to trade up, to the extent it would harm them, it would more set them back from competing in '14 and '15. People talk about the draft and free agency as if they are equivalent talent acquisition methods, but the fact is that the vast majority of young players don't come into their own until their 3rd years.

#18 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8346 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

If you're talking about the price to trade up, to the extent it would harm them, it would more set them back from competing in '14 and '15. People talk about the draft and free agency as if they are equivalent talent acquisition methods, but the fact is that the vast majority of young players don't come into their own until their 3rd years.

Well, I think the dolphins would expect to get a starting OT and a starting DL in the first two rounds. Plus, RG3 in his first year would likely not be an upgrade over what Moore gave them last year.

#19 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8812 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

Well, I think the dolphins would expect to get a starting OT and a starting DL in the first two rounds. Plus, RG3 in his first year would likely not be an upgrade over what Moore gave them last year.

You really can't count on a second round rookie starting at OT or on the DL. The Dolphins are picking 40; the last couple guys picked at that spot are /Bruce Carter/Koa Misi/Ron Brace/Tracey Porter/Beck/Daniel Bullocks/Josh Bullocks/Ben Troupe/EJ Henderson. It's not nearly as valuable a pick as people think it is.

#20 sodenj5

• 1882 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

I think Miami trades down and takes Tannehill out of A&M. They could trade down into the teens and easily grab him and another second round pick. Do that, and either sign Manning to a two year deal or let Moore start, and groom him as the starter of the future. He's a converted WR. Actually Mike Sherman, MIami's new OC, converted him. He's still really raw, but has a bunch of upside. I don't see Miami making a run at Flynn. Everything I've seen has them interested in Manning. Not only that, but they'll have to pony up big time to get to RGIII, as Cleveland has just too much ammo for them to leap frog over them. It would be majorly cost prohibitive.

If Richardson is there at 8, he would almost certainly be the BPA, and Miami would have to consider taking him. I liked what I saw out of Daniel Thomas last season for the most part, but his production tailed off, and he's not nearly the sure thing that Richardson appears to be.

Miami could also use a pass rusher to go opposite Cameron Wake, regardless of 3-4 or 4-3 (I think they're going 4-3. If they let Soliai walk, that pretty much guarantees it.)

#21 czar

• fanboy

• 3577 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

So (barring an unexpected trade) the team that ignored 90% of the other needs on their roster so they could focus their attention on upgrading at QB will be starting Alex Smith, Ryan Tannehill, or... Matt Moore under center Week 1.

The utter incompetence of the Miami Dolphins front office is so absurd it borders on hilarity at this point.

But hey, maybe Chad Pennington's shoulder has stayed in place for more than 30 seconds and he wants to try another comeback.

#22 pdaj

• 2406 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

I'm perplexed by how Miami is handling their QB situation, but what constitutes "90% of the other needs on their roster"?

#23 czar

• fanboy

• 3577 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

I'm perplexed by how Miami is handling their QB situation, but what constitutes "90% of the other needs on their roster"?

Having your two starting WR be Davone Bess and Brian Hartline is a start.

They still haven't addressed the pass rush opposite Wake and I'd also consider signing a 33 year old on the downswing of his career to replace Colombo at RT the opposite of an upgrade.

This team is easy money right now in a "least points in the 2012 NFL season" prop right now. There is no way to spin that their team is more talented now than it was 3 months ago. There are many, many ways to spin that it's worse (and with Long due for a huge contract next year, Marshall gone, Bush another year older, and no franchise QB anywhere close to the pipeline the future doesn't seem too bright, either).

Edited by czar, 18 March 2012 - 04:51 PM.

#24 sodenj5

• 1882 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

So (barring an unexpected trade) the team that ignored 90% of the other needs on their roster so they could focus their attention on upgrading at QB will be starting Alex Smith, Ryan Tannehill, or... Matt Moore under center Week 1.

The utter incompetence of the Miami Dolphins front office is so absurd it borders on hilarity at this point.

But hey, maybe Chad Pennington's shoulder has stayed in place for more than 30 seconds and he wants to try another comeback.

Matt Flynn still scares me, and if the guy that knew him best balked at handing him 8 mill/year, then I feel comfortable with that decision. Miami is reported to be in contract talks with Smith. I said in the Manning thread that I would rather have known of Smith over the big question mark that is Matt Flynn. Smith just came off his best year and I feel like he wold be a good fit in Philbin's offense. Also, considering Smith is just one year older and he has 66 career starts to Matt Flynn's 2, he's the much safer bet. He may not be an all-world quarterback, but he'll be solid and steady, which would be a vast improvement for Miami. The odds are still heavily in favor Matt Flynn being Kevin Kolb rather than Matt Schaub.

#25 czar

• fanboy

• 3577 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

Matt Flynn still scares me, and if the guy that knew him best balked at handing him 8 mill/year, then I feel comfortable with that decision. Miami is reported to be in contract talks with Smith. I said in the Manning thread that I would rather have known of Smith over the big question mark that is Matt Flynn. Smith just came off his best year and I feel like he wold be a good fit in Philbin's offense. Also, considering Smith is just one year older and he has 66 career starts to Matt Flynn's 2, he's the much safer bet. He may not be an all-world quarterback, but he'll be solid and steady, which would be a vast improvement for Miami. The odds are still heavily in favor Matt Flynn being Kevin Kolb rather than Matt Schaub.

Possible, but everything the Herald and Sun-Sentinel reported until today was that the Fins spent hours and hours going over film and Philbin had personally called Flynn multiple times over the last 2 weeks. That doesn't sound like the mark of a coach who said "listen guys, I know Flynn's hot stuff, but he's definitely not the guy."

You'd have to think Miami is still odds against on landing Smith, but even if they do, there are very few QB metrics I can find that peg him as a top-15/20ish QB. I find it more likely that last year was a product of him riding a strong defense and ground game in a weak division into the playoffs as opposed to Alex Smith finally discovering himself after 4 mediocre seasons in SF.

At best he's probably a game manager type-- the Dolphins don't have a good enough cast/play in a weak enough division for that to matter right now, though. At least Flynn (who I didn't really love either) had the upside of a top-10 QB. Probably not likely, but it's there. Smith's isn't. Even if Alex Smith's floor is higher than Flynn's, I don't really see a situation where paying him lots of money to try to steer you to an 9-7 or 8-8 season is worth the effort and that should-- honestly-- make Dolphins fans frustrated.

Edited by czar, 18 March 2012 - 05:05 PM.

#26 pdaj

• 2406 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

Having your two starting WR be Davone Bess and Brian Hartline is a start.

They still haven't addressed the pass rush opposite Wake and I'd also consider signing a 33 year old on the downswing of his career to replace Colombo at RT the opposite of an upgrade.

This team is easy money right now in a "least points in the 2012 NFL season" prop right now. There is no way to spin that their team is more talented now than it was 3 months ago. There are many, many ways to spin that it's worse (and with Long due for a huge contract next year, Marshall gone, Bush another year older, and no franchise QB anywhere close to the pipeline the future doesn't seem too bright, either).

Lydon Murtha is the heavy favorire to start at RT after playing very well while filling in for the injured Long last season. Artis Hicks was nothing more than a depth signing.

Going into the off-season, the Fins were set at WR, but unfortunately, the FO's patience with Marshall ran out. With the way $$ is being thrown at receivers right now, it's a bad time to have to look for a replacement. I have to think Miami will draft a receiver.

Overall, though, it's hard not to be down. Add Manning, keep Marshall, and we're looking at a completely different team.

#27 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 15136 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

Emerging from this week with Alex Smith as the Dolphins QB would be, simultaneously, disappointing and cause for celebration; disappointing because the high hopes of Manning & Wayne have been dashed, cause for celebration because you got the 2nd best QB on the market. I don't think you can win a SB with Smith but he's currently riding the Dilfer/Hostetler/Brad Johnson reputation train; if every other thing goes well, he could manage you to a Super Bowl. And this only lasts as long as people remember the KR; in three years, he'll probably be the guy who managed the Dolphins to a 9-7 season, along with a couple 8-8s mixed in.

Edited by soxfan121, 18 March 2012 - 05:05 PM.

#28 Sportsbstn

• 3849 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

Well their QB isnt going to be Flynn, he is signed in Seattle.

http://espn.go.com/n...eal-source-says

Would be comical if Smith leaves the Niners and they dont get Manning. Smith is a decent QB, but Miami would still be a mediocre team.

Edited by Sportsbstn, 18 March 2012 - 05:16 PM.

#29 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8346 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

Ross has the money to spend to get Flynn, but they clearly did not think he was worth whatever upgrade it was over Moore. Philbin knows Flynn better than anyone and Sea is not exactly a brilliant team when it comes to QB evaluations. A Miami fan cannot be upset at this development. There were two big gets, Manning and RG3 and they got neither. Is SMith materialy better than Moore? I haven't a clue. Is Tannehill the guy they really want? The Miami staff knows him better than anyone as well.

they entered the offseason as the third best team in their division. they are worse today than in January. I haven't a clue what their strategy is from here

#30 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8346 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

I will say, the media is now full on going after Ireland for his incompetence. Peter King detailed all his failures (amazingly bad record) and the Steeler's DB who spurned Miami last year tweeted no one would ever play for Miami becasue of the front office. I wonder if Ross will fire him finally....

#31 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15451 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

Manning to Tenn.
Smith stays in SF.
Miami wants Tebow.
Elway decides the return is worth a year of Hasselbeck.

#32 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12427 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

I will say, the media is now full on going after Ireland for his incompetence. Peter King detailed all his failures (amazingly bad record) and the Steeler's DB who spurned Miami last year tweeted no one would ever play for Miami becasue of the front office. I wonder if Ross will fire him finally....

I wouldn't read too much into yet another Steeler DB running his mouth, this time on Twitter.

You're much closer to this team than I, but it seems to me that it needs stability more than anything else. There has been altogether too much churn at every level. And I don't believe Ross is helping much because, intentionally or not, he has a reputation as a big splash, shoot-first kind of owner. I'd keep Ireland if there is any chance of his making this work.

Peter King should detail the executive failures of Bill Parcells -- but, of course, he won't. This is the 4th team by my count that he has left in shambles. It's not entirely his doing, of course -- Bob Kraft and Jerry Jones bear major responsibility for what happened to their teams post-Parcells -- but Tuna has a made a major living fleecing franchises in his post coaching career.

#33 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8346 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

Agree on Parcells. Not good at all. it was his call to bring Ireland and Sparano, as well, and he also made the call to draft Pat White, HEnne, etc

#34 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 15136 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

King went after the decade of stupidity in Miami but I didn't see much on his list of failures that is directly attributable to Ireland; Marshall, yes - everything else (Cameron over Tomlin, Culpepper over Brees, wasted picks on QBs, etc.) happened before he was in charge. I don't think Ireland is particularly good at his job but I don't think "Peter King detailed [Ireland's] failures" is accurate. A decade of mismanagement and ownership incompetence.

#35 dcdrew10

• 916 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

Peter King should detail the executive failures of Bill Parcells -- but, of course, he won't. This is the 4th team by my count that he has left in shambles. It's not entirely his doing, of course -- Bob Kraft and Jerry Jones bear major responsibility for what happened to their teams post-Parcells -- but Tuna has a made a major living fleecing franchises in his post coaching career.

I don't know how this gets ignored by the press, fans, and owners. Parcells was always most successful when he had someone else managing the personnel aspect of the job. Not that he had no input, but his most successful years at a coach with the Giants were based on a lot of key players drafted before he was head coach and it's obvious that Bobby Grier had a lot of input on the draft during his years with the Patriots.

Edited by dcdrew10, 19 March 2012 - 09:31 AM.

#36 pdaj

• 2406 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

Smith to the '9ers makes too much sense, but just in case somethin' crazy happens, I'll say this: Smith benefitted from a strong running game, but his numbers are a lot more impressive when you consider his receiving core last season. Easily one of the worst groups in the NFL. Thank God for Vernon Davis.

#37 Jungleland

• 595 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

Not inaccurate, but Miami sans Marshall is a sizable downgrade even from that. I hope he returns to San Fran if for no other reason than to see what he can do with Manningham and (to a lesser? extent) Moss in the fold. Pretty hard to imagine that a week's flirtation with a top QB of all time hurt the guy's feelings enough to turn down what is likely the most talented group of offensive weapons he'll get to play with again. Even if Moss is totally cooked, the addition of Mario and a full offseason to prepare should give him a very good chance to exceed last year's performance.

#38 pdaj

• 2406 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

At this point, if I was Ireland, I'd offer Smith 3/30 and hope Tennehill falls to 8th. I'm prob' drinking the kool-aid, but Smith's only a year older than Flynn, and has a shit load more experience. He's coming off of a career year, smart kid, athletic, etc. -- can he grow further under the offensive-minded Philbin? Meanwhile, if the Fins can draft Tannehill, Smith buys them time to get him ready.

Edited by pdaj, 19 March 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#39 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10159 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

Jay Glazer @JayGlazer

Just got a text from David Garrard telling me he's now a Miami Dolphin

Here is the Dolphins QB

#40 sodenj5

• 1882 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

Miami also just released Yeremiah Bell. Curious to see what they end up doing with all the cap space they're clearing up.

#41 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 25618 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

Miami also just released Yeremiah Bell. Curious to see what they end up doing with all the cap space they're clearing up.

That would be an interesting pickup in Foxboro

#42 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15451 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

Bell is still a good player....

#43 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8346 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

Bell was not good this past year, especially in coverage, but he is a sound tackler and is loved in the locker room. However, all that leadership did not stop vontae from drinking...still, the PAts would make a lot of sense for him

Garrard is not better than Moore. Its a one-year deal to be a backup or at least have a shot to start.

again, I have no idea what their plan is (unless it is to try and make an offer for Mike Wallace?). they still have cap space, still need a pass rusher, a WR, a TE, a RT, and now a FS.

#44 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 10148 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

And dolphin fans begin to protest

RT @BenVolinPBP: About 15 #Dolphins fans protesting outside the team facility http://t.co/MYROftd5 and http://t.co/uvGnutCv

Ben Volin @BenVolinPBP
Signs at the protest: "Toot to give Ireland the boot," "Stop the circus, Ireland must go," "No Tebow," "Honk for Csonka," "Fins Down"

Ben Volin @BenVolinPBP
Other signs: "Fire Ireland, save our team," "Burn the orange carpet," "Draft Foles," "C'mon man," "Taking my talents to Cleveland"

https://twitter.com/#!/IzzyGould

https://twitter.com/#!/BenVolinPBP

#45 pdaj

• 2406 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:47 AM

Well, the Dolphins finally get their QB after drafting Ryan Tannehill with the #8 overall pick in last night's 1st round of the draft. I'm excited about Tanny's potential (his QB session with Gruden was especially impressive), but drafting an unfinished QB prospect in the top-10 comes with a good amount of risk. I think if Miami could have traded down anywhere from 9-14, they might have done so and still got their man, but I'm not sure they had any trade partners after Dallas shot up to the 6th spot.

I'm a bit less nervous about the selection with Philbin/Sherman on board. No team should know this kid better. Tannehill couldn't have asked for a better environment for future success. Tanny should sit this year, as either Moore or Garrard run the show. I think the tentative plan is to get Tannehill in the starting role by next year.

Edited by pdaj, 27 April 2012 - 06:47 AM.

#46 ( . ) ( . ) and (_!_)

• T&A

• 2104 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:38 AM

Well, the Dolphins finally get their QB after drafting Ryan Tannehill with the #8 overall pick in last night's 1st round of the draft. I'm excited about Tanny's potential (his QB session with Gruden was especially impressive), but drafting an unfinished QB prospect in the top-10 comes with a good amount of risk. I think if Miami could have traded down anywhere from 9-14, they might have done so and still got their man, but I'm not sure they had any trade partners after Dallas shot up to the 6th spot.

I'm a bit less nervous about the selection with Philbin/Sherman on board. No team should know this kid better. Tannehill couldn't have asked for a better environment for future success. Tanny should sit this year, as either Moore or Garrard run the show. I think the tentative plan is to get Tannehill in the starting role by next year.

The Dolphins have been struggling to sell tickets right? If they get off to a slow start next season then Ross strikes me as the type of owner that will want the rookie played to draw interest if he creates a spark.

#47 pdaj

• 2406 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

Interesting draft for the Fins. Of course, a lot depends on the type of QB Tannehill becomes, but I loved the Martin pick in the 2nd, and Lamar Miller was a steal in the 4th. Miami desperately needed a pass rusher, so hopefully Vernon and Kaddu can get after the QB. Egnew looks to have a little Aaron Hernandez in him, so it'll be interesting to see how he's utilized. Hopefully at least one of the late WR selections (Cunningham/Matthews) pan out. Both seem to have been undervalued due to a lack of speed.

(1) Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
(2) Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
(3) Oliver Vernon, DE, Miami
(3) Michael Egnew, TE, Missouri
(4) Lamar Miller, RB, Miami
(5) Josh Kaddu, OLB, Oregon
(6) B.J. Cunningham, WR, MSU
(7) Kheeston Randall, DT, Texas
(7) Rishard Matthews, WR, Nevada

"Reported" UDFAs

Jonas Gray, RB, Notre Dame
Derek Moye, WR, Penn State
Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M
Derek Dennis, OG, Temple
Dustin Waldren, OT, Portland State
Chas Alecxih, DT, Pittsburgh
Jacqueis Smith, DE, Missouri
Jarrell Root, DE, Boise State
Shelly Lyons, LB, Arizona State
Cameron Collins, LB, Oregon State
Kelcie McCray, SS, Arkansas State
Albert Evans, SS, Purdue

Edited by pdaj, 28 April 2012 - 08:21 PM.

#48 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8346 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

I posed this in the grades thread:
The Dolphins are completely changing their offense and will run a no-huddle, fast-paced, west-coast, spread-style scheme. Basically, it will be all about pace and speed. I'm not sure where Jake Long fits in, but Philbin would rather have four guys like Egrew than overpay a Brandon Marshall. We'll see if it works. They won't be competitive in 2012 but as their get guys for this system, they will be a pain in the ass to play, especially in Miami in September and October when its a lot hotter and humid than NE, NY and BUF are used to. Vice Versa, how will this system play in the cold in the northeast in December?

#49 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16581 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

I posed this in the grades thread:
The Dolphins are completely changing their offense and will run a no-huddle, fast-paced, west-coast, spread-style scheme. Basically, it will be all about pace and speed. I'm not sure where Jake Long fits in, but Philbin would rather have four guys like Egrew than overpay a Brandon Marshall. We'll see if it works. They won't be competitive in 2012 but as their get guys for this system, they will be a pain in the ass to play, especially in Miami in September and October when its a lot hotter and humid than NE, NY and BUF are used to. Vice Versa, how will this system play in the cold in the northeast in December?

They don't still have that ridiculous pull that Shula had with the league, though do they? Wasn't there something like a 15 year stretch where the only time the Dolphins came up to New England in cold weather was the famous snow sweeper 3-0 game? Just worked out that way, year after year. Probably just a coincidence.

#50 pdaj

• 2406 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

http://www.rotoworld.../ryan-tannehill

Ryan Tannehill will start Friday's preseason game against the Panthers.

It's a sign that Tannehill has pulled even with incumbent Matt Moore in their quarterback derby. The rookie showed better than expected progress in the first preseason game, going 14-of-21 for 167 yards and a touchdown while playing with the second-stringers. A strong performance tonight while playing a full half with the starters would make Tannehill the heavy favorite to start Week 1. It would also leave David Garrard (knee surgery) on the chopping block. Aug 17 - 9:11 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users