Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2012 Detroit Tigers- Witty Name Here

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 mgoblue2

• 556 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

Prince Fielder and his large appetite/contract makes its way to Detroit. AL Central champs, only question is by how many games. Lauded by some as WS favorites IIRC.

#2 nvalvo

• SoSH Member

• 7716 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

Seems to me like they have the formula for post-season success: they have a good, top-heavy rotation, a deep lineup with serious thump at the heart of the order, and a respectable bullpen. The defense looks to be a vulnerability, though.

#3 derekson

• 3501 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:38 AM

The defense will definitely be a weakness, but they've got some good gloves on their bench so they can take advantage if Leyland is willing to be aggressive with defensive replacements late in games with the lead. Santiago can replace Raburn at 2B, Kelly or Raburn can replace Young in LF, Inge can replace Miggy at 3B. A late inning defense with those guys in the game should be pretty solid.

#4 mgoblue2

• 556 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

Carlos Guillen retired. Good riddance.

#5 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 6075 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

Cabrera just took a wicked two-hop smash off the eye and started gushing blood from his orbital area.

#6 AMS25

• 934 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

I saw that; looks really scary, but it seemed to hit his cheekbone first.

#7 mgoblue2

• 556 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

Dombrowski was on ESPN before their ST game today and said a couple of weeks. Everything sounds fine, which is really really lucky.

#8 mgoblue2

• 556 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

Opening Day means free blog views.

#9 Enforcer

• 105 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

Hope Fister is okay.

#10 mgoblue2

• 556 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

Posted Image

Sums up today's game.

Put him at the DH spot, and keep him there already.

#11 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17064 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

Put him at the DH spot, and keep him there already.

(Applies roughly equally to Young, Fielder, Cabrera and V-Mart once he's back.) :)

#12 derekson

• 3501 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

(Applies roughly equally to Young, Fielder, Cabrera and V-Mart once he's back.) :)

Honestly Delmon is the worst of them defensively, especially in the spacious left field at Comerica Park. Sure, once VMart is back, you probably need to play Delmon in LF if you want his bat in the lineup (for some reason), but until then he should just be the fulltime DH (other than if Fielder or Cabrera need occasional starts at DH to rest partially).

#13 PawsnSox

• 152 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

Nice piece here on the 100th Anniversary of Tiger Stadium and efforts to preserve what is left of her.

http://espn.go.com/m...-little-fanfare

#14 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 6072 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

Inge released.

#15 mauidano

• Mai Tais for everyone!

• 13255 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

Think the Tigers are having second thoughts of releasing Inge after this incident with Delmon Young. Such an atrocious idiot. So drunk they had to take him to the hospital first before jail.
http://espn.go.com/n...charge-new-york

#16 mgoblue2

• 556 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

Unhappy trails to Brandon. Nice average bro.

Young argh.

#17 mgoblue2

• 556 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

That was Verlander's first career one-hitter. You may remember the game last year where he had one into the 8th that Aybar bunted because he sucks and LA were down 2 but whatever. That was a two hitter.

#18 3D TV

• 19 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

A few notes on the Tigers as they come to Boston for 4 games.

The Tigers have been underperforming expectations so far this year, with both hitting and pitching issues. During the last 6 weeks, before this weekend’s 3 game sweep of the Twins, they had not won 2 games in a row. Prince Fielder, Jhonny Peralta, and Brennan Boesch have all been slumping; Austin Jackson has been on the DL since mid May. Fielder may be finally heating up, though – he was 9 for 12 over the weekend. The bullpen has also had problems; with Valverde getting hit hard this season, 4.66 ERA, 1.66 WHIP, with 2 blown saves (was 49-0 in saves last year, with a 2.24 ERA, 1.189 WHIP).

Pitching:
Monday – Doug Fister (RHP) vs Doubront. Fister was on the DL for all of April, but has made 5 good starts since his return, with a 1.83 ERA, 1.13 WHIP. When Seattle was selling last summer at the trade deadline, the Tigers got Fister; the Sox got Eric Bedard. Fister went 8-1, with a 1.79 ERA, .839 WHIP, 70.1 IP; Bedard went 1-2, with a 4.03 ERA, 1.553 WHIP, 30 IP. (Tigers won Central Div, went to playoffs; Sox went home!)

Tuesday – Justin Verlander (RHP) vs Bard. While nothing is ever a lock, Verlander has become “Must See”. Last week he lost a no-hitter with 1 out in the 9th, and was just overpowering, beating Pittsburgh 6-0. His last game was a loss, 2-1, to Cleveland, but in his final inning, the 8th, he really cranked it up, striking out the side on 11 pitches (6 swinging strikes, 3 called strikes, 2 balls – 9 FB, 2 nasty curves. Fastball speed was above 100). The coaches and writers call this one of the most dominant innings they had ever seen. When he is on, he paces his fastball speed, keeping it around 94-95 for the first 5 or 6 innings. When he continues into the 7th, fastball speed starts rising, and he can consistently top 100 mph in the 8th and 9th innings, although perhaps with a small loss of control.

Wednesday – Drew Smiley (LHP) vs Lester. Smiley is a rookie, and had a strong start this season, with a 1.59 ERA after his first 6 games. In his last 3 outings, however, he has been hit hard, and his ERA has doubled (to 3.14)

Thursday – Max Scherzer (RHP) vs Beckett. Scherzer (the guy with one blue eye, and one brown eye) may be the biggest disappointment among the Tigers starters, as he has been hit hard on a regular basis. His last 2 starts have been better, a 4-3 win over Pittsburgh, striking out 15; a 6-3 win over Minnesota, striking out 9.

#19 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16556 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:10 PM

I was just over at another site checking on the Tigers vs. yankees score. The game just barely started. I looked at the stats for Rick Porcello. Um, not good.

When you think of it, between him and Andrew Miller they had two pitching prospects, not Verlander level prospects but the very next level down at the time they were drafted, with whom they were unable to do . . ANYthing. They sure turned chicken salad into chicken shit there. And Scherzer hasn't gotten any better in Detroit. This isn't really appropos of anything. But if they'd done better developing those guys that team would really be something right now.

#20 David Laurila

• Barbara Walters' Illegitimate Son

• 1711 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

I looked at the stats for Rick Porcello. Um, not good....They sure turned chicken salad into chicken shit there.

Not sure if I agree. Porcello is four years younger than Buchholz and has more big-league wins. He is also three years younger than Bard and a year younger than Doubront.

#21 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16556 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

Not sure if I agree. Porcello is four years younger than Buchholz and has more big-league wins. He is also three years younger than Bard and a year younger than Doubront.

You're right that he's still young, 23 this year.
But he's racking up innings (almost 600 in the majors so far) without getting much if any better. His K/9 rate is very slowly inching up but it's still in the mid 5's per 9 and he seems stuck at the level of an 85 ERA+. I doubt that when they drafted Porcello, getting him just ahead of the Red Sox, who wanted to draft him (I think he was rated a top 5 or 10 prospect but fell to the 20's because of perceived huge bonus demands) they were thinking they'd get a guy who 3 years into his MLB career would be rolling up ERA+'s of around 85 with no clear path to getting any better.

IIRC, after he signed with Detroit they decided that he should throw mostly 2 seam fastballs rather than 4 seam fastballs because this would, in their estimation, be better for his career longevity. That is, I think, what he mostly throws. And it's a very curious choice. I mean, you don't use top 5 or 10 draft picks in the hope of getting Derek Lowe. He's had a nice career. But you're hoping for a Kershaw or someone like that. aren't you? (And, incidentally, how would you like to be a 2 seam fastball pitcher with Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder as half of your infield?!)

It just seems that with Miller seeming to have his shit together at least as a reliever after leaving the Tigers and Porcello stalled as a less than average pitcher, it doesn't reflect well on their player development. I would concede that he's not a bust as a pick yet. But where's any real improvement? He basically immediately proved he could pitch at the major league level and since then he's been a younger, skinnier Joe Blanton.

Edited by Rough Carrigan, 03 June 2012 - 06:29 PM.

#22 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 6072 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:16 AM

That interesting Rough because at Hardball Times they've asked the oppo question - why he threw the 4-seam so much.

There has been more pitching coach turmoil in Detroit than in Boston, partly due to Porcello and Scherzer I suppose. Interested though in David's perspective.

As an aside having followed the Tigers, I always in my mind compared the Miller contract to the Craig Hansen contract. Tall, lanky kids both given ML contracts that did not work out for the signing team.

#23 mgoblue2

• 556 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

Verlander now dating Kate Upton. Jerk.

#24 PawsnSox

• 152 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:44 PM

Posted Image

Edited by PawsnSox, 08 August 2012 - 01:54 PM.

#25 75cent bleacher seat

• 439 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:28 AM

In case you haven't noticed these Tigers are a mere game out of 1st place....

#26 PawsnSox

• 152 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

Tied for first now.

#27 3D TV

• 19 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

Clinched! - AL Central Division champs.

As for triple crown chase, Cabrera 4 for 5 with a HR; Avg .329 (+.006 over Trout); 44 HR (+1 over Hamilton); 137 RBI (+10 over Hamilton)

#28 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 6072 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

Mickey Lolich will be throwing the ceremonial first pitch Saturday.

Posted Image

#29 Enforcer

• 105 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

World Series! Never saw this coming. Tigers beat the A's and Yankees en route to the WS in 2006, then lost to St. Louis. Hoping for a different final result this year.

#30 PawsnSox

• 152 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

Posted Image

#31 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 6072 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:41 AM

For any fellow Zumayaphiles here (are there any besides me?) here is the latest.

He's had surgery, has gone fishin', and is contemplating a comeback.

"I was born to be a Tiger. I've been talking to them. I could end up back here," he said. In the meantime Zumaya stands on the shore and grins, unfazed by the frigid conditions.

"I love fishing. I love Detroit. It's a great city, a great state," he said. "I especially love the outdoors here, and I can't get enough of it."

GO TIGERS

Edited by Pearl Wilson, 21 October 2012 - 07:42 AM.

#32 PawsnSox

• 152 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

For any fellow Zumayaphiles here (are there any besides me?) here is the latest.

He's had surgery, has gone fishin', and is contemplating a comeback.

GO TIGERS

Zumaya was just electrifying when he came up. His string of injuries and struggles was so sad to me. I would love to see him get a chance to live up to his early promise and succeed.

#33 PawsnSox

• 152 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

"For 118 years (the team's real founding date is 1894, not 1901) the people of Michigan have had a love affair with our Detroit Tigers. We thank the Tigers for the thrills and excitement they provided in 2012 and for winning the American League pennant for the eleventh time. The season wasn't perfect, but very few are. Best of luck as you fill in the missing pieces and regroup for next year. God bless." -- Detroit Athletic Co.

Posted Image

#34 PawsnSox

• 152 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Miguel Cabrera was selected MLB Player of the Year for 2012 by his peers. http://aol.sportingn...vp-triple-crown

#35 PawsnSox

• 152 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Miguel Cabrera has won the 2012 AL MVP award.

http://espn.go.com/m...ican-league-mvp

Edited by PawsnSox, 15 November 2012 - 06:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users