Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

General NHL trade deadline news

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
111 replies to this topic

#1 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 13,457 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

noted scumbag Steve Downie has been traded from TB to COL per Bob McKenzie

#2 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13,900 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

Apparently Steve Downie has been traded to the Avs

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
TB has traded Steve Downie to Colorado.

#3 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13,900 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

figure we might as well fire up a general trade news thread

#4 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 13,457 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

thanks Napkin, I wasn't sure where that news belonged, but this works fine.

Edited by Greg29fan, 21 February 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#5 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13,900 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

yeah, I had actually had posted it in the general news thread so we had both threads covered. then I figured it was about that time so...

#6 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13,900 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

The Tampa Bay Lightning have traded forward Steve Downie to the Colorado Avalanche for defenceman Kyle Quincey.

#7 TheRealness

• Don't make him go all Lucic on your ash

• 8,363 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

They could use a little more toughness. Solid trade for the Avs, although with the caveat that I don't know what they gave up.

Somewhere, Stamkos is shedding a single solitary tear.

#8 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6,404 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

At first blush I thought "Geez, Downie netted Kyle Quincey, great deal for the Bolts", but this is actually a pretty fair trade. Quincey hasn't been as good as I thought he has been and Downie has been better than I thought. Also, Downie is only 24, which was shocking. He's a 40 point player at age 24 - good deal for the Avs.

#9 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9,858 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:23 PM

McKenzie is hearing Quincey's off to Detroit for a first. Essentially Downie for a first on the Tampa side.

#10 The Four Peters

• can peacefully dougie off this mortal coil

• 11,160 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

McKenzie is hearing Quincey's off to Detroit for a first. Essentially Downie for a first on the Tampa side.

Confirmed. Pretty good job by Stevie Y.

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Confirmed. TB trades Kyle Quincey for DET's first round pick.

#11 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 17,086 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

That's a great overall haul for Tampa, impressive work by Stevie. Not a bad trade for Detroit or Colorado but IMO Tampa made out best.

#12 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9,858 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

I think that's a pretty brutal trade on the Avs side. They could have gotten a lot more than Steve Downie for the Quincey if they threw him on the market.

Stevie Y is doing well. Between Moore, Kubina and Downie he has picked up 3 picks in the top 60. Not a bad haul for those guys.

#13 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,164 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

Pierre LeBrun
Tampa now has 2 first-rounders, 3 second-round rounders, and another second-rounder in either '12 or '13 at Florida's option (Kubina)

#14 TheShynessClinic

• SoSH's Doug Neidermeyer

• 6,270 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

Quincey has 4 points in 2012, while playing in all of his teams games.

He's 26 years old and not all that great. I think getting Downie for him is pretty fair.

#15 PedroSpecialK

• 17,086 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

If Downie can return to 20-30 form then it's a solid trade for Colorado. They're horribly mismanaged for the most part but I don't think trading what in essence was a late 1st/early 2nd for Downie is a horrible move. He brings some form of sandpaper too, which they're currently lacking.

#16 erfus

• 1,592 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

That's a great overall haul for Tampa, impressive work by Stevie. Not a bad trade for Detroit or Colorado but IMO Tampa made out best.

I'm stunned that Quincey netted a 1st rounder, albeit a very low 1st rounder. He has zero points in 17 of his last 19 games and isn't exactly known as a defensive stalwart. Detroit seems to know what they're doing though, but I'm not really seeing the sense in that. Quincey goes back to where he was originally drafted, so the Wings obviously know him pretty well. This doesn't bode well for the Bruins though, the market seems to be set really scary-high.

#17 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6,404 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

Confirmed. Pretty good job by Stevie Y.

My thoughts exactly.

#18 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9,858 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

I guess it depends I how much Downie can produce now that he's not riding shotgun with Stamkos, St. Louis and Lecavalier. I'm skeptical, I've never been a huge fan of his game.

Quincey could've netted a pretty good haul given his age, contract and the way the market is shaping up.

#19 PedroSpecialK

• 17,086 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

I'm stunned that Quincey netted a 1st rounder, albeit a very low 1st rounder. He has zero points in 17 of his last 19 games and isn't exactly known as a defensive stalwart. Detroit seems to know what they're doing though, but I'm not really seeing the sense in that. Quincey goes back to where he was originally drafted, so the Wings obviously know him pretty well. This doesn't bode well for the Bruins though, the market seems to be set really scary-high.

Yeah I thought it was high too, but considering how awful a coach Sacco's been, IMO it stands to reason that Quincey will bounce back.

#20 Spaulding Smails

• Worth a thousand words

• 2,660 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

Per Dreger on the NHL Network, looks like the Sharks are the frontrunners for Nash at the moment. Already down 3-0 to Columbus wouldn't be surprised to see them make a splash, they have been brutal lately.

#21 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,164 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

Per Dreger on the NHL Network, looks like the Sharks are the frontrunners for Nash at the moment. Already down 3-0 to Columbus wouldn't be surprised to see them make a splash, they have been brutal lately.

Antti Niemi has been the most atrocious player in all of sport across the globe recently.

#22 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9,858 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

After putting an end to the Dany Heatley experience, I can't believe the Sharks would be so quick to sink a ton of money and assets into another high priced, under performing winger.

That game is 4-0 now, Carter scored again. Howson has to be jacked and pumped!

Edited by cshea, 21 February 2012 - 07:50 PM.

#23 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 13,457 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

Detroit probably didn't care about that 1st round pick as long as they could keep their 6th and 7th round picks, that seems to be where they do their damage.

#24 Titoschew

• 2,922 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:53 AM

After putting an end to the Dany Heatley experience, I can't believe the Sharks would be so quick to sink a ton of money and assets into another high priced, under performing winger.

That game is 4-0 now, Carter scored again. Howson has to be jacked and pumped!

But this one hasn't killed anyone, so there is some upside there.

#25 Blacken

• Paddy Tanniger the Caddy Manager

• 8,686 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

But this one hasn't killed anyone

Blue Jackets fans. With despair.

#26 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 11,036 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

Bob McKenzie

CBJ trades Antoine Vermette to PHX. #tsn

#27 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 13,457 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

Says its for a couple of draft picks

Edited by Greg29fan, 22 February 2012 - 01:06 PM.

#28 PedroSpecialK

• 17,086 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

Damn. Vermette was a guy I thought would work out great in shoring up the 3rd line and filling in on the top 6 in a pinch. Granted, 3 years remaining at $3.75m per would have likely been prohibitive given the Bruins' cap situation going forward.

Guess we know they aren't dealing Ray Whitney.

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 22 February 2012 - 01:11 PM.

#29 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 13,457 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

The trade is a 2nd round pick this year, a 5th next year, and G Curtis McElhinney.

#30 PedroSpecialK

• 17,086 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:16 PM

Aaron Portzline @Aportzline

#CBJ get a 2nd round pick this year (prev. Ottawa's) and a 5th in 2013, which goes to a fourth if Coyotes win a playoff round.

Per Portzline, it goes to a 4th if the Yotes win a playoff round. In my eyes that's a heist by Phoenix, considering that impending UFA Dominic Moore pretty much returned a 2nd (albeit a later one than Ottawa's).

#31 Spaulding Smails

• Worth a thousand words

• 2,660 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

What a "meh" return for Columbus, well done Maloney.

#32 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 13,457 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

3 more years at 3.75 mil each had to be a mitigating factor. That's kinda ugly for a guy of Vermette's skill set

#33 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6,404 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

Yeah, given that contract, I think it's a pretty decent return for a team that's probably going to blow it all up and start from scratch.

#34 OldSaintJohn

• swansoned his way on the site

• 733 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

It's exactly what the Coyotes needed though. Boyd Gordon and Daymond Langkow have both been the #2 center at times. Pretty solid trade by Maloney

#35 PedroSpecialK

• 17,086 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

I can see why Howson would have had a hard time getting more, but at point you may as well keep him, no? He could've gotten almost the exact same return, probably even more, for Vinny Prospal - yet he chooses to re-sign him with a handshake deal for recurring options and instead trade 29 year old who can play center/wing, is ace at draws, and will have 60 point upside for the duration of his contract at the nadir of his value. OSJ is right - on a mid-tier team, you can do a lot worse than Vermette as the #2 center.

Granted, he only gave up Pascal Leclaire to get him, so in the end I guess it's a win for Columbus.

#36 PedroSpecialK

• 17,086 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

Ruutu expected to re-sign today

Chip Alexander@ice_chip
Ruutu expected to re-sign with Canes today. Official word soon to come.

#37 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 13,457 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

really strange what Carolina has done with him and Gleason. both had value

#38 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 11,036 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

Bob McKenzie

CAR and Tuomo Ruutu agree to terms on a four-year extension with an AAV of $4.75M. #TradeCentre #tsn.

#39 PedroSpecialK

• 17,086 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

He's hit the 20 goal mark once since the lockout.

That contract is insane.

That's not even considering the NTC for the first three years

It looks even funnier when you consider that James Neal got 6 years at $5m AAV without no-trade protection.

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 22 February 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#40 PedroSpecialK

• 17,086 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

Apparently the rumors are flying on HF via ESPN radio that the Habs and Preds are working on another deal.

This one would have Andrei Kastsitsyn and most likely Yannick Weber going to Nashville for Matt Halischuk and Nashville's first rounder. Take it with a massive grain of salt, but it's out there.

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 22 February 2012 - 05:39 PM.

#41 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9,858 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

That's a really bizarre trade. Kostistyn makes some sense for Nashville, but the Weber part makes no sense for either team. Nashville's already carrying 8 defenseman around, why pick up another? And why would Montreal be looking to move Weber?

Speaking of the Habs...anyone know what's up with Travis Moen? Looks like he has been scratched a lot recently, but I think he's a guy that would fit in well with the B's.

#42 PedroSpecialK

• 17,086 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

Apparently Gauthier has not made him available and is working to re-sign him from everything I'm hearing/reading.

I agree the Weber aspect doesn't make a ton of sense, but theoretically Nashville could send down Ellis and dump/waive Hillen, and go with Bouillon/Weber as their 6/7 defenders. I have no idea what Montreal's thinking is in treating Weber like chopped liver and scratching him half the time, he's miles ahead of stiffs like St. Denis.

Also, in addition to Shea, their broadcaster's name is Pete Weber :lol:

#43 Curtis_Lesspanic

• 512 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

Also, in addition to Shea, their broadcaster's name is Pete Weber :lol:

If only it was this Pete Weber

He's the Jack Edwards of Bowling!

#44 AMcGhie

• The Robinson Canoe of RMPS

• 1,189 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

Really good article on PuckDaddy by an anonymous player about the trade deadline and the stress it entails.

Imagine that you have come up in an organization and grown into a role where you are a regular contributor for your team. You love the city that you are in, and you love your teammates. As a group, you've worked hard to put yourself in a position where this year might be "the" year. You couldn't be more invested in YOUR team and now you have a legitimate shot at the Stanley Cup.
At noon on deadline day, you get a call from your GM telling you that you've been traded away in exchange for what he hopes is the "missing piece."
Devastating? I can't imagine. How would you feel if your ex-team then went on to win it all? It happens. In fact it happens almost every year. Just ask Blake Wheeler and Mark Stuart.

Link!

#45 mrweed

• 103 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

If only it was this Pete Weber
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbfmzjcPpvs&feature=related

He's the Jack Edwards of Bowling!

His teeth are yellow?

Edited by mrweed, 23 February 2012 - 01:38 PM.

#46 Spaulding Smails

• Worth a thousand words

• 2,660 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

Looks like Hamrlik's days with the Caps may be numbered:

Hamrlik on getting scratched by Hunter b/c of penalty: "when he played I think he make lots of penalties himself. He should know better."

They are an absolute mess.

#47 PedroSpecialK

• 17,086 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

Really good article on PuckDaddy by an anonymous player about the trade deadline and the stress it entails.

Link!

Great read - this post and the rest of the thread make a good case for Darcy Hordichuk being "The Player".

#48 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 13,457 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

Looks like Hamrlik's days with the Caps may be numbered:

They are an absolute mess.

The Caps need to blow it up

#49 ForceAtHome

• 4,012 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

The Caps need to blow it up

They don't need to blow it up. They need a healthy Nick Backstrom, consistent goaltending (whether from Vokoun or Neuvirth this year, or Neuvirth/Holtby/whoever next year), and players who are on the same page as their coach. This isn't a team who has a window closing this year. Experience will only serve to help many of the Caps players including Carlson/Alzner/Orlov on the back end and ditto Johansson/Eakin up front. Next year they may be adding Kuznetsov, too. None of the key core players are that old, either.

They could justify trading Wideman, Vokoun, Knuble, and guys like Schultz/Hamrlik/Ward if there were any takers and they decide to punt the season a bit, but that is not blowing it up. I still wish they had kept Boudreau and haven't like the Hunter signing from before it happened, but such is life. Monday will be an interesting day for the Caps... I could see them both getting rid of some parts and adding players, too.

#50 PedroSpecialK

• 17,086 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:17 PM

Rumormongers getting trolled pretty hard by the Jackets

Daren Millard ‏ @darenmillard
Told the action at nationwide arena and the re-arranging of the media room is for a season tix event.