Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Is 2012 Mariano Rivera's last year?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,488 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

It sure sounds that way:

http://yankees.lhblo...nnounce-it-yet/

#2 Mike Greenwall

• 1,311 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

Hard to hate the man (in fact I don't), but here's hoping he does go away.
Even if he has an average Rivera year, in 2012, it will be hard to distinguish his peak from his career. Amazing.

#3 Meff Nelton

• 1,088 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

This sounds pretty serious, but I've taken all Rivera retirement talk with a grain of salt since this:

Finally, after he half-sobbed and half-spoke for 20 minutes, Rivera, who is 30, told the congregation that he would play baseball for four more years before retiring to become an evangelical minister or preacher(...)

''I would love to play as long as I can, but I think if I play four, five or six more years, that's enough and then I'll stop,'' said Rivera, who signed with the Yankees in 1990 and has spent nearly five seasons in the major leagues. ''Maybe it's one year. Maybe it's two. You never know.'' Then he stopped speculating and reaffirmed what he had told the congregation, ''Like I said, I want to play four more years.''

Published by Jack Curry on 12/10/1999.

Wouldn't be shocked either way at this point. Though one thing I do know is that I'll be blubbering like a child with a skinned knee the day it does happen.

#4 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 21,338 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

Here's hoping that he ascends to Heaven, immediately.

#5 mauidano

• Mai Tais for everyone!

• 13,791 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

Here's hoping that he ascends to Heaven, immediately.

As in April.

#6 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 4,692 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

I will raise a glass to my all-time favorite non-Red Sox player, Mariano Rivera, when he retires. A true legend in every possible way. But I hope he goes 0-8 with 12 blown saves and a 6.73 era this year.

#7 Sampo Gida

• 3,147 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

Maybe a negotiating ploy, but it sounds like the throat surgery scared him. I guess when you have all his millions you might want to make sure you have a few years to enjoy retirement and spend some of it before ascending.

He isn't quite as scary as he used to be against the Red Sox, but facing a mere mortal in the 9th will be a nice change.

#8 melonbag

• 133 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

This is definitely his last season.

Edited by melonbag, 22 February 2012 - 06:22 PM.