Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

The Road to Omaha -- 2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
308 replies to this topic

#1 AMS25

• 937 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:46 AM

Baseball is back! OK, it's college baseball, but still. I follow college baseball because I live a ten-minute walk away from L. Dale Mitchell Park, the home of the OU Sooners baseball team. It's a beautiful park, and a relaxing place to attend games with my 13 year old daughter.

Yesterday was the first day of the college baseball season. The biggest upset? North Carolina (#3) was defeated by Xavier.

On the homefront, OU (#14) trotted out its mostly new squad against Pepperdine and won a close one (4-3). OU lost 11 players to the MLB draft, so its rotation has been completely reworked and it has a new closer, who allegedly throws at 100+ MPH. (Last night, the Sooner announcers said he was clocked in the mid-90s so who knows. I'm sure we'll see some scouts at the park this year, waving around their radar guns.) Starter Dillon Overton (picked in the 26th Round by the Red Sox in 2010) struggled in Daisuke-like fashion through 4 2/3 innings, giving up 3 runs on 7 hits. Thankfully, the offense was able to scrape together enough runs to win, and reliever Jordan John had a strong effort.

#2 PaulinMyrBch

• Don't touch his dog food

• 5122 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

Some kids that have graduated from my sons high school team are starting as true freshman for South Carolina and College of Charleston, (Tanner English and Gunnar Heidt) respectively. So if anyone wants info on anything going on with those teams let me know, I'll be following those pretty closely. Both got off to strong starts in their first taste of D1 ball.

#3 AMS25

• 937 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

Some kids that have graduated from my sons high school team are starting as true freshman for South Carolina and College of Charleston, (Tanner English and Gunnar Heidt) respectively. So if anyone wants info on anything going on with those teams let me know, I'll be following those pretty closely. Both got off to strong starts in their first taste of D1 ball.

And South Carolina continues its winning ways, PaulinMyrBch. SC looks like it will field a very strong team again.

I wish I could say the same about OU. As of now, the pitching looks abysmal. And, the offense isn't strong enough to compensate for the mediocrity of the arms. Oh well. It's baseball and my daughter and I will be be going to our first game today.

What I like about college baseball games:

1. They are cheap. ($5!)
2. Logistically, they are easy to attend. No traffic, no parking fees, no lines.
3. All the seats are good, even the cheap ones.
4. The players look tidy. There are no baggy uniforms or pants. In fact, there are generally no long pants; most college players are required to wear their pants high-cuffed.
5. The quality of play is high enough that you can see some good performances.

What I don't like about college baseball games:

1. Small ball. College coaches have always played small ball, but after last year's switch to new bats (which apparently resemble wood bats more than the previous generation of aluminum bats), coaches have compensated by playing even more small ball. I hate it.
2. Mediocre pitching (this might be partly a byproduct of watching so many OU games). There are so many HBPs in college; it's a wonder there's not more injuries.
3. The fact that the games lack an eternity (see mediocre pitching). SOSH posters are familiar with the claim that Red Sox games last forever. OU games are rarely crisply-pitched contests that last 2.5 hours. Today, my daughter and I will stay 2.5 hours, and that will be it. We will listen to the end on the radio.

Looking forward to baseball, any baseball.

Edited by AMS25, 25 February 2012 - 08:08 AM.

#4 Gdiguy

• 478 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:53 PM

Spent the day at the Texas/Stanford game... Stanford's got a very good team (solid hitting, and Appel/Mooneyham have been very sharp over the last two days), and after sweeping Vandy and winning both games so far vs Texas, it's looking pretty solid

Incidentally, they also have a right fielder that reminds me a lot of Vlad - clearly a ton of raw athleticism + a touch of awkwardness in his swing/running, and he hit a towering fly ball that we initially thought was going to be a popup to left that wound up barely clearing the fence for a solo shot

I really love college baseball - I can imagine it being not enjoyable if you don't have a strong interest in either team and you're in a place where it's cold / rainy / etc, but there's something great about being as close as you usually are in college stadiums if it's a beautiful sunny day (Stanford's stadium also has grassy areas down the lines just past the dugouts for picnic seating instead of seats, which makes it even more fun)

Edited by Gdiguy, 25 February 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#5 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5312 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

BC showing early that they may be able to compete in the ACC this year having beaten two ranked teams in Coastal and Central Florida as well as team receiving votes in the latest polls. Rubber game against UCF this afternoon.

#6 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16266 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

Some surprises this weekend from Northeast teams. On Friday night, Maine beat #15 Clemson 6-5. Last night, Holy Cross beat #4 Texas A&M 7-3 in 10 innings. That was on the heels of playing a very close game on Friday night losing 3-2.

#7 AMS25

• 937 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

Spent the day at the Texas/Stanford game... Stanford's got a very good team (solid hitting, and Appel/Mooneyham have been very sharp over the last two days), and after sweeping Vandy and winning both games so far vs Texas, it's looking pretty solid.

Last night, Holy Cross beat #4 Texas A&M 7-3 in 10 innings. That was on the heels of playing a very close game on Friday night losing 3-2.

I was keeping an eye on those Stanford/Texas and Holy Cross/Texas A&M games, as Texas and A&M are OU's conference rivals (for this year at least). I wasn't surprised at the Stanford results, but I know nothing about Holy Cross and its players. Pretty impressive win!

My game was so windy it turned out to be a very interesting day for the defense. Every fly ball was an adventure, and several of Oklahoma's 14 "hits" might easily have been called errors. (The score keeper was a generous soul.) We did get to see an inside-the-park homer by OU's latest slugging catcher, Hunter Lockwood. We also saw an outstanding performance by OU's only good pitcher (at this point), Jordan John, who pitched 6 innings of relief. But, otherwise, the pitching was mediocre, and OU was lucky to win, 10-5.

Edited by AMS25, 26 February 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#8 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16266 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

Shocker of the Weekend today: Appalachian State 11 LSU 1.

App State won 2 of 3 this weekend.

#9 AMS25

• 937 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

Arkansas finally lost (10-9) to Valparaiso. And, I'm enjoying the dismantling of Texas by Stanford, who is leading 11-1 in the 4th inning.... OU won today (8-3) on two hits. Hartford pitchers coughed up 12 walks, and its fielders made 3 errors. The Sooners finally got a good pitching effort from one of their starters, Steven Okert. But their new closer (Magnifico!) was not magnificent. Sure, he can hit 100 on the radar gun and was drafted by the Mets in the 5th round in 2009. But, he's a closer of the cardiac-Valverde variety. He almost always loads the bases before getting his "save," and he walks as many as he strikes out.

Well, make that 14-1, Stanford-Texas.

Edited by AMS25, 26 February 2012 - 05:41 PM.

#10 PaulinMyrBch

• 5122 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:38 AM

Just got back from the nuetral site Clemson v. South Carolina game. Extra inning game 1-1 headed to the 11th. Gamecocks get two in the top, Clemson gets one back in the bottom, so its 2 outs, runners on the corners, pinch hitter drills a liner to center and Marzilli makes a sliding catch to end the game. As good a college game as I've ever seen.

Clemson has pitchers that throw gas and sliders, South Carolina pitches with change ups and curves. Crazy atmosphere, top notch pitching. 20 mile an hour wind blowing dead in from center, so it was dead if it was in the air.

Heading upstate on Sunday to see the final of the set being played at Clemson. The middle game is at USC.

#11 AMS25

• 937 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

Just got back from the nuetral site Clemson v. South Carolina game. Extra inning game 1-1 headed to the 11th. Gamecocks get two in the top, Clemson gets one back in the bottom, so its 2 outs, runners on the corners, pinch hitter drills a liner to center and Marzilli makes a sliding catch to end the game. As good a college game as I've ever seen.

Clemson has pitchers that throw gas and sliders, South Carolina pitches with change ups and curves. Crazy atmosphere, top notch pitching. 20 mile an hour wind blowing dead in from center, so it was dead if it was in the air.

Heading upstate on Sunday to see the final of the set being played at Clemson. The middle game is at USC.

As usual, the ACC is stocked with talent.... Who looks good to you in terms of MLB-draft material?

#12 PaulinMyrBch

• 5122 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

Richie Shaffer, Richie Shaffer, and Richie Shaffer in that order. Was on base 5 times against the Friday night guy Michael Roth. Hit a bomb today. The best position player on the field without a doubt. Down 3-1 in the bottom of the 11th Friday, he leads off the inning with a double. Total gamer.

I really liked Kevin Brady, first time seeing him pitch live. Maintained velocity throughout the game, FB was 91-94, slider was deadly. Not afraid to pitch inside. Total control, dominated the second time through the order. Pitch count was a small issue, but they pulled him at 90 pitches. The run allowed was earned but really the shortstop had a bad inning, stumbled on a plant in the hole that put the runner on first, then failed to scoop a spinning bat cap grounder that was rolling near second base. Neither was an error but both plays that were fairly routine.

I'm high on Michael Roth, but the scouts don't like him due to the velo, but he gets outs and some daffy duck swings. I can't believe he's not going to help someone one day.

I know Christian Walker is getting some ink, but the position players for USC that I like are both true Freshman, Tanner English and Grayson Greiner, so time will tell. English is an undersized outfielder who runs a 6.37, Greiner is a 6'5" catcher with a 1.8 pop and power. Can't really project either until they run through a season of Friday night guys in the SEC. I'm close friends with the English family, so I'll be curious to see how he develops.

#13 PaulinMyrBch

• 5122 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

Richie Shaffer had a nice little weekend against the Gamecocks. Against pretty much the same pitching staff (-John Taylor) that won the CWS last year. Here is his three game line.

6 for 9
6 Walks
2 HR's
2 Doubles
6 Runs
2.325 OPS
1.556 SLG

Plays a nice third base and if you're looking for something he did wrong, he did have a throw up the line to first that was an E5.

#14 AMS25

• 937 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for the info, PaulinMyrBch. Looks like you have/will be attending some interesting games.

Me, I'll just be going to college games because they are fun. OU players are drafted, but rarely go high. (Last year, the first OU player to be selected went in the 9th round.) At least the OU pitching seems to be getting better this year; their starters made it past the third inning for four straight games. (Went 3 - 1 this week, played New Mexico away this past weekend, so didn't see the team personally.)

#15 SouthernBoSox

• SoSH Member

• 8527 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

I've seen a bunch of Arkansas games. They simply don't have a bad pitcher on the staff. Everyone they bring in seems to be as good as the person they replaced. They have the pitching.

#16 AMS25

• 937 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

I've seen a bunch of Arkansas games. They simply don't have a bad pitcher on the staff. Everyone they bring in seems to be as good as the person they replaced. They have the pitching.

Yes, Arkansas seems to be having an impressive season so far. I guess I'll find out for myself in April, when Arkansas comes to OU.

#17 PaulinMyrBch

• 5122 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

I'm curious to see how South Carolina fares against Arkansas, LSU, Florida pitching staffs. I'm not sold on the USC pitching, so it will be interesting in a few weeks when conference play starts.

#18 PaulinMyrBch

• 5122 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

Not sure where to put this, but this is G.K. Young, a high school junior committed to Coastal Carolina. Three homers and a double in a 4A game. He's a catcher/1B/DH.

At the end of the video you see #11, that is Jordan Gore, also a junior, shortstop/pitcher committed to South Carolina. He throws 90 and is the closer, but projects as a shortstop in college.

#14 is Grant Holmes, the #1 pitcher on this team and the #1 pitcher in his class in SC. He's a sophomore, currently uncommitted, who currently throws 91 as a 10th grader and is the younger brother of Colby Holmes, #3 in the rotation for the Gamecocks.

I coached Grant in travel ball for a few years, so that one close to me.

Anyway enjoy, check out the second and third homers. Pulled an outside pitch and hit one opo, real powerful kid.

Edited by PaulinMyrBch, 11 March 2012 - 10:01 PM.

#19 PaulinMyrBch

• 5122 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:59 AM

Conference tourneys starting, national seeds up for grabs...figured this needs a boost.

The latest RPI rankings

Edited by PaulinMyrBch, 21 May 2012 - 06:03 AM.

#20 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16266 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

This site is great for following the conference tournaments as well.
http://www.d1basebal...ournies2012.htm

National Seed contenders include: LSU, South Carolina, Florida, Oregon, UCLA, Baylor, Rice, Fullerton, Florida State, and Texas A&M. Other teams in the mix to host regionals are UNC, NC State, Purdue, Kentucky, Stanford, Arizona, Virginia, TCU, Ole Miss, and San Diego.

Teams that have already clinched auto bids are: Cornell, Prairie View, Bethune Cookman, and Sacred Heart.

Edited by RedOctober3829, 21 May 2012 - 08:25 AM.

#21 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16266 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

Army defeated Holy Cross to earn the Patriot League automatic bid. Army is a great Northeast team and has a 41-13 record. They could be a dangerous #4 seed.

#22 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38317 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

ESPN has their conference tournament preview up.

#23 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16266 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

Local and regional scores

America East Tourney 1st Rd
#3 Binghamton 2 #2 Albany 1
#1 Stony Brook 14 #4 Maine 6

A-10 1st Round
#5 Richmond 9 #4 UMass 5
#6 St. Joe's 3 #3 URI 0

Big East 1st Round
#3 Seton Hall 6 #6 Rutgers 1
#2 St. John's 12 #7 ND 2

Major Tournament Notables
SEC--#6 Arkansas is eliminated and #7 Mississippi State upset #1 LSU 3-2.
ACC--#8 Georgia Tech upsets #1 Florida State 5-4

Edited by RedOctober3829, 23 May 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#24 mabrowndog

• 38317 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

A-10 1st Round
#5 Richmond 9 #4 UMass 5
#6 St. Joe's 3 #3 URI 0

And in the loser's bracket nightcap, URI homers with 2 out in the bottom of the 8th to take a permanent 6-5 lead. UMass (22-22) is eliminated from postseason play. FML.

#25 AMS25

• 937 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

A good start for OU in the Big 12 Tournament. The Sooners beat OSU despite the fact that the Cowboys had Andrew Heaney (likely first round pick) on the mound. It was a walk-off home run by one of OU's weaker hitters. Tomorrow, the Sooners have a re-match with #3 Baylor, a team they swept two weeks ago.

#26 PaulinMyrBch

• 5122 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

South Carolina drops the opener to Vanderbilt 3-2. Michael Roth did not start game 1, will start game 2 versus Auburn today at 5:30. Not sure holding him back made sense with a first round loss.

#27 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16266 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

South Carolina drops the opener to Vanderbilt 3-2. Michael Roth did not start game 1, will start game 2 versus Auburn today at 5:30. Not sure holding him back made sense with a first round loss.

It never does make sense when you lose the game you hold back a starter. We almost beat Arizona State in 2008 when they held back Mike Leake.

#28 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16266 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

The Black Bears of Maine stayed alive today with a 7-3 win over Albany. All of the scoring in the game came in the first inning. They will play Binghamton in the loser's bracket game, who lost to Stony Brook 7-4, tomorrow morning at 11. The winner advances to the championship round to take on the Seawolves.

San Diego senior VP Omar Minaya was in attendance today to scout Stony Brook junior CF Travis Jankowski. Jankowski is #33 on MLB.com's Top 100 Draft prospects, but could go higher than that given his play of late. He has raised his average from around .380 a couple weeks ago to .407 after today's game. He leads the nation with 9 triples and has 34 steals in 40 attempts. He also boasts an OPS of 1.092 as a leadoff hitter. Defensively, he gets very good reads on fly balls and goes pretty much gap to gap with ease. He burst onto the scene this past summer as he won the MVP of the Cape League playing for the Bourne Braves. Honestly, he reminds me of Jacoby Ellsbury coming out of college because both players have incredible skills, but the power is developing late in their growths. The only caveat is that Ellsbury faced better competition in the Pac-10 than Travis does in the America East. As one baseball official said to me today: "Travis made a million dollars this week."

Ellsbury's statistics in his senior year
.406/.495/.582

Jankowski's current statistics in his junior year
.407/.471/.621

If you want a better comparison, then let's go to their Cape Cod League statistics.

Ellsbury: .245/.376/.345
Jankowski: .326/.409/.445

#29 AMS25

• 937 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

The Sooners had another good day in the Big 12 Tournament. They knocked off #3 Baylor (3-2) with another walk-off hit. This time, Evan Mistich (one of the slower Sooners) just beat out the throw on an infield hit, allowing Erik Ross to score from third.

I have to say that the Sooner pitching has improved immensely from the beginning of the year. The offense has some holes in it, but the Sooners can count on two strong lefty starters (Dillon Overton and Jordan John) and one solid righty (Jonathan Gray). OU finally found its relief ace in lefthander Steven Okert. Meanwhile, their presumed closer, Damien Magnifico (who throws 100 mph), turned out to be a better starter than reliever.

Do I think OU can go far in NCAAs? I'd say it depends more on their offense than their pitching at this point. Keith Law saw Overton pitch and thought he looked "interesting," and noted the spin he was getting on his pitches. The Red Sox drafted him out of high school in 2010; I wonder if Boston will be interested when he becomes draft eligible in 2013.

Edited by AMS25, 24 May 2012 - 08:15 PM.

#30 AMS25

• 937 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

Several important losses today -- Florida State, South Carolina, Texas A & M, LSU.... The national seeding and regional siting will be interesting, to say the least.

#31 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16266 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:54 PM

Stony Brook defeats Maine to win the America East title.

#32 mabrowndog

• 38317 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:38 AM

Stony Brook defeats Maine to win the America East title.

Maine had beaten Binghamton 5-1 earlier in the day to advance. The Stony Brook game was close until the Seawolves got a run in the bottom of the 6th to take a 7-6 lead. A 4-run 7th, led by Carmona's 3-run blast, sealed the deal in an 11-6 final. The Black Bears end the season at 27-28.

In case you missed it, Red, BA.com's Aaron Fitt wrote last summer about Stony Brook's players in the Cape League:

Three Stony Brook players made the league's all-star game, including catcher Patrick Cantwell and center fielder Travis Jankowksi of Bourne, who started for the West team.

Two Seawolves led Orleans to the East Division title on Wednesday, the last day of the regular season. All-star righthander Tyler Johnson allowed just one hit over 6 2/3 scoreless innings to get the win in the first game of a doubleheader against Chatham, clinching the division. Johnson pitches primarily off a mid-80s sinker with serious life, and he effectively mixed in a slider and changeup.

"When I've got all three pitches working, especially with these kind of defensive guys behind me, it makes it real easy to pitch," Johnson said. "I just like to throw that (sinker), let it do its thing and get some ground balls."

Johnson's Stony Brook teammate, second baseman Maxx Tissenbaum, powered the Orleans offense, singling home a run in the fifth and driving a three-run homer to right field on a fastball from Trae Davis (Baylor) in the eighth, breaking the game open. Tissenbaum, who hit .344 as a freshman and .343 as a sophomore for the Seawolves, entered the day hitting just .216 with one homer, but his disciplined approach never wavered, as evidenced by his 14-9 walk-strikeout mark.

"I told him I was really proud of him for maintaining that good attitude and work ethic," Orleans head coach Kelly Nicholson said. "He played a lot for us last summer, and he was really good. He can hit. He's a good baseball player, and I think he's gotten a lot better defensively. He's going to walk more than he strikes out, he puts the ball in play—really a good contact guy."

Ace Nick Tropeano may be gone, but there is a lot of reason for Stony Brook to be excited heading into next season—as this summer illustrated.

"We had a real good year this year at school, and unfortunately we got left out of the regionals, but we've got a lot of good players up here," Johnson said. "Hopefully we're opening the world's eyes to our team and what we can do. It's been real fun, especially seeing my teammates do well up here too."

Edited by mabrowndog, 26 May 2012 - 07:51 AM.

#33 mabrowndog

• 38317 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

Stanford & Cal had epic game. Cal scored an unearned run on an RBI groundout in the top of the 8th to tie it up 2-2, and it remained that way into extra innings. Both teams pushed across a pair of runs in the 12th, and that was it until the 18th. The Bears played small ball with a single and bunt, getting an RBI base hit to take a 5-4lead. Stanford managed to get Danny Diekroeger to third base with one out, but Justin Jones got Steve Piscotty swinging and Brian Ragira on a ground out to seal the upset win for Cal (28-24).

Only took 5 hours, 54 minutes.

Cal plays UCLA (40-14), which dispatched USC (23-30) by a 3-1 final. The Cardinal (37-15) now wait for the NCAA brackets to come out.

#34 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16266 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

Dog, I did see that. Fitt had more to say this morning.

A sixth team punched its ticket to regionals Friday, as top-seeded Stony Brook completed a 3-0 run through the America East tournament with a 13-6 win against Maine. Three of Stony Brook's stars—Travis Jankowski, William Carmona and Maxx Tissenbaum—combined for eight hits and nine RBIs to lead an 18-hit attack, and all nine starters recorded at least one hit. Stony Brook (46-11) will head to its third regional in five years as the No. 4 seed that nobody wants to see in its bracket, thanks to an offensively potent, experienced lineup, a strong one-two pitching punch (Tyler Johnson and Brandon McNitt) and a quality bullpen anchored by Frankie Vanderka (1-2, 2.22). The biggest arm on the staff, James Campbell, delivered four innings of two-hit, shutout relief to pick up the win Friday.

http://ht.ly/batRO

Most conferences are down to their championship games. Here's a rundown of the day's games and who can clinch automatic berths.

A-10: Dayton vs. Richmond(Richmond has to beat Dayton twice)
A-Sun: Belmont vs. Kennesaw State/FGCU winner(winner has to beat Belmont twice)
Big 10: Purdue vs. Michigan State/Indiana winner(winner has to beat Purdue twice)
Big South: Coastal Carolina vs. Liberty(Liberty has to beat CCU twice)
CAA: UNC-Wilmington vs. Delaware(Delaware has to beat UNCW twice)
Horizon: Valpo vs. UIC/Youngstown State winner(winner has to beat Valpo twice)
MAAC: Canisius vs. Manhattan/Rider winner(winner has to beat Canisius twice)
MAC: Kent State vs. Central Michigan/Miami(OH) winner(winner has to beat KSU twice)
MVC: Creighton(#8 seed) vs. Southern Illinois(SIU has to beat Creighton twice)
MWC: New Mexico vs. TCU/SDSU winner(winner has to beat NM twice)
OVC: Eastern Illinois vs. Austin Peay/SE Missouri State winner(winner has to beat EIU twice)
Southland: UT-Arlington vs. SELA/SFA winner(winner has to beat UTA twice)
Summit: NDSU vs. Oral Roberts(ORU has to beat NDSU twice)
WAC: Sacramento State vs. LA Tech/Fresno State winner(winner has to beat Sac State twice)

Any other conferences not listed that are still going are in pool play still.

#35 AMS25

• 937 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

OU Sooners beat #3 Baylor 7-2, and will play for the Big 12 title tomorrow against either Missouri or Kansas State. Jonathan Gray went 7 and 2/3 innings, giving up 6 hits and 2 earned runs. OU benefited from 2 home runs by Matt Oberste, the DH.

#36 mabrowndog

• 38317 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

Some updates:

* A-10 - Dayton shuts out Richmond 3-0. RHP Parker Schrage goes 6.1 for the win, and closer Burny Mitchem is named MOP for his 2.2 hitless innings vs the Spiders in 2 games. Yesterday he got the win, and today he stymied a 2-on, 2-out rally in the 7th. The Flyers have won 6 straight and 9 of 10.

* Atlantic Sun - Kennesaw wastes FGCU 13-4, and they're up on Belmont 1-0 in the top of the 3rd.

* Big Ten - Spartans & Hoosiers knotted 3-3 in the 10th. Purdue waits in the wings.

* Big 12 - Missouri hammers Kansas 12-2, shortened to 8 innings by the mercy rule. They'll play the Sooners for the title.

* Big South - Coastal leads Liberty 3-1, batting in the bottom of the 6th.

* CAA - Delaware took the first game 11-9 over UNCW, but in game two they trail 8-6 in the bottom of the 4th.

* Horizon - Illinois-Chicago shut out Youngstown 5-0 behind a complete game 4-hitter by junior Tim Suminski, who retired the last 9 Penguin batters. They're ahead of Valpo 3-1 in the bottom of the 4th.

* MAAC - Manhattan took out Rider 6-5. Catcher Manny Orttega was the hero with an RBI grounder in the first, a 2-run double in the 4th, and a bases-loaded single through the hole in the bottom of the 8th to plate the winning run. Their game with Canisius is just underway.

* OVC - Peay knocked off SE MO 10-6, and they're leading E. Illinois 3-0 in the top of the 3rd.

* Southland - SE Louisiana beats SF Austin on a walk-off bases-loaded single by Ladd Rhodes (4-for-5, 2 runs). They're just underway with TX-Arlington.

* Summit - Oral Roberts beat N. Dakota St in the first game 4-1, but they're trailing 2-0 in the 3rd of Game 2.

Edited by mabrowndog, 26 May 2012 - 05:44 PM.

#37 mabrowndog

• 38317 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

* MAC - Central Michigan shut out Miami 7-0, with lefty Rick Dodridge tossing a complete game 1-hitter. But it may be all for naught, as they're down to their last out vs Kent, trailing 3-1 in the 9th. The Chippewas just got a 2-out single, and Kent's changing pitchers...

EDIT - Brian Clark gets Tyler Hall on a ground-out to end it. CMU loses, Kent clinches the crown.

Edited by mabrowndog, 26 May 2012 - 05:47 PM.

#38 mabrowndog

• 38317 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

* ACC - GA Tech is in the title game after beating Clemson 5-1. They go 3-0 in Pool A (also beating UVA and FSU). NC State can win Pool B by beating N. Carolina tonight (7 pm, NESN). A Tar Heels win means Miami goes instead. So it's the Yellow Jackets against either the Wolfpack or the Hurricanes at noon tomorrow on ESPN2.

* Big East - St. John's is in the final after beating Notre Dame 2-1 behind 7.1 strong innings from Kyle Hansen (5H, 7 K) that bested the 6.2 innings of ND's Pat Connaughton (pride of Arlington MA, 8 H, 4 K). South Florida, needing to beat UConn twice, got the first part done with a 1-0 shutout behind Derrick Stultz's complete-game 3-hitter. They're underway in Game 2 (watch it here).

#39 mabrowndog

• 38317 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

* C-USA - Memphis is in tomorrow's title game after finishing 2-1 in its pool. Even if Rice beats Southern Miss tonight to also finish at 2-1, Memphis owns the 3-2 head-to-head win. The Tigers will face UAB, who advance despite today's 10-3 loss to East Carolina. The Blazers beat both UCF and Tulane earlier in the tourney. Tulane lost a crusher today to UCF, 6-2, which could cost them an at-large bid. The #16 Knights are likely in, as is #4 Rice. So for the championship, it's Memphis vs UAB at 1 pm tomorrow on CBS College Sports.

* SEC - #26 Miss St knocked #12 Kentucky out of the tournament 2-1. Meanwhile #2 Florida has a 4-3 lead over Vandy in the bottom of the 8th. The title game matches the Bulldogs against either the Gators or the Commodores tomorrow at 2:30 pm on ESPN2 & ESPN3.

EDIT - Holy shit, what a finish in Hoover. Vandy scores 5 in the top of the 9th, and the Gators answer with 2 in the bottom. It's not enough, and Vanderbilt plays MIss St. for the championship. Yaz's grandson Mike Yastrzemski did something his grandfather never did -- he pulled off the suicide squeeze to plate the first run of Vandy's big rally. He went 2-for-4 with a run and an RBI. The rally also featured a successful triple-steal.

Edited by mabrowndog, 26 May 2012 - 06:50 PM.

#40 mabrowndog

• 38317 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

* Atlantic Sun - Belmont has come back to take a take a 7-4 lead over Kennesaw. They're in the bottom of the 7th.

* Big Ten - Indiana beats the Spartans 4-3. The Hoosiers and Boilermakers are scoreless in the 2nd.

* Big East - UConn leading USF 1-0 in the 6th.

* Big South - Coastal finishes off Liberty 4-1.

* CAA - NC-Wilmington takes the crown over Delaware 10-8.

* Horizon - UIC hangs on for the 4-3 win over Valpo. They'll play again tomorrow for the title.

* MAAC - Canisius up on Manhattan 4-1 in the last of the 7th. Looks like the end is nigh for the Jaspers.

* MVC - Creighton & S. Illinois getting underway in minutes.

* OVC - Peay up on EIU 7-0 in the 8th. The Governors are close to forcing a deciding game tomorrow.

* Southland - TX-Arlington up 5-0 on SE LA in the 4th.

* Summit - ORU clinging to a 4-3 lead on NDSU in the 8th as the Titans try to get to a second game.

* WAC - La Tech up on Fresno 4-3 in the bottom of the 5th. Sac State awaits the victor.

#41 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16266 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

Purdue wins the Big Ten title for the first time, but there was a huge brawl in the 9th inning. Watch here: http://cbssports.tum...ninth-inning-of

#42 mabrowndog

• 38317 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

UNC and NC State remain scoreless until the 12th. The Tar Heels put up 4 in the top half, and that's all she wrote.

UNC wins it 4-0. Miami FL wins the pod and moves on to the championship game tomorrow vs GA Tech.

#43 mabrowndog

• 38317 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

More updates:

* Atlantic Sun - Belmont eliminates Kennesaw 10-4 and wins the title.

* Big East - USF scores 2 in the last of the 7th and hangs on to beat UConn 2-1 and complete the 2-game sweep. USF vs St. John's for the title tomorrow.

* MAAC - Canisius led Manhattan 4-1 in the last of the 7th, and I pretty much wrote the Jaspers' epitaph. Manhattan comes back to tie it, sending it to extras, and they win it on a walk-off RBI single in the 10th. They'll play again tomorrow for the title.

* MVC - Southern Illinois had a 5-1 lead in the 4th, but Creighton got a 4-run 7th to cap an 8-6 comeback win that eliminated the Salukis and clinched the crown for the Blue Jays.

* MWC - In the opener, only 5 of the 18 half-innings were scoreless. SDSU and TCU traded runs the first 2 innings before the Aztecs took an 8-2 lead in the top of the 4th. But the Frogs got 3 in the bottom half and another run in the 5th to get within a pair. They traded runs again in the 6th, but TCU scored twice in the 7th to tie it 9-9. The Aztecs got 3 in the top of the 9th, and the Frogs could only muster a pair in the bottom as SDSU won it 12-11. The game included 31 total hits and 14 walks. The Aztecs and New Mexico are underway and scoreless in the first.

* SoCon - GA Southern beat Elon 10-7 while Samford defeated FUrman 12-7. GSU and the Bulldogs will play for the league title tomorrow at 2 pm on ESPN3.

* Southland - TX-Arlington finishes off SE Louisiana 13-4 to win the crown.

* Summit - Oral Roberts held on to beat N. Dakota State 4-3. They'll play again tomorrow for the title.

* Sun Belt - Louisiana-Monroe, the 5-seed, just lost to 8-seed W. Kentucky 7-2, but they're still going to win Pod A with a 2-1 record thanks to their head-to-head win over 4-seed S. Alabama and a pair of losses by top-seeded Fla Atlantic. In Pod B, three teams are tied with 2-1 records, but the tiebreaker goes to the highest seed. That means 2-seed Arkansas State advances over both 6-seed Troy and 7-seed Middle Tennessee. So the title game pits LA-Monroe vs Ark St tomorrow at 2 pm.

* WAC - Fresno came back to beat LA Tech 6-4. In their second game Fresno trailed Sacramento St 3-0 in the 5th but they've come back to tie it in the 6th.

EDIT - Fresno now up 6-5 over Sac State in the 7th. New Mexico is all over an exhausted San Diego St team 14-3 in the 4th.

Edited by mabrowndog, 26 May 2012 - 11:35 PM.

#44 mabrowndog

• 38317 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:36 PM

Sunday's Conference Tournament Schedule

12:00 pm - ACC Final - GA Tech vs Miami FL (ESPN2)
12:00 pm - Big East Final - St. John's vs South Florida (ESPNU)
01:00 pm - Horizon Final - Valparaiso vs Illinois-Chicago
01:00 pm - MAAC Final - Canisius vs Manhattan
01:00 pm - OVC Final - Eastern Illinois vs Austin Peay
02:00 pm - Big 12 Final - Oklahoma vs Missouri (FOX College Sports)
02:00 pm - C-USA Final - Memphis vs UAB (CBS SN)
02:00 pm - SoCon Final - Georgia Southern vs Samford (ESPN3)
02:00 pm - Sun Belt Final - Arkansas St vs Louisiana-Monroe (ESPN3)
03:00 pm - WAC Final - Sacramento St vs Fresno St
03:30 pm - SEC FInal - Mississippi St vs Vanderbilt (ESPN2)

Edited by mabrowndog, 27 May 2012 - 07:48 AM.

#45 PaulinMyrBch

• 5122 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:00 AM

Perfect Game predicting these as Regional hosts, top 8 as national seeds.

REGIONAL HOSTS (as of Saturday)
Florida
Florida State
Baylor
Oregon
UCLA
Louisiana State
North Carolina
South Carolina
--
Texas A&M
Rice
Stanford
North Carolina State
Purdue
Virginia
Arizona
Kentucky

#46 mabrowndog

• 38317 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:10 AM

* MWC - I guess there's no mercy rule in the Mountain West. New Mexico cremates San Diego St 22-3 to clinch the conference title.

* WAC - Fresno holds on for a 9-6 win over Sacramento St to set up the deciding game today.

#47 PaulinMyrBch

• 5122 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:37 AM

Maybe no mercy rule in the championship game, it was 22-3 in the fifth. Wow.

#48 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16266 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

Hosts are announced today

#49 gtg807y

• 2533 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

That's probably the case, the ACC has a mercy rule for most of the tournament, but I don't think there is for the championship. The main reason for having one is keeping the day's schedule somewhat on time for the other games, but of course that isn't a concern for the title game.

Georgia Tech is probably in after beating two top-10 RPI teams this week, and another top-35 team in Clemson, but also had an 11-18 conference record and barely got to Greensboro, clinching a bid on the last day of the season. But even if they lose today, that could be enough because the ACC might just be an eight-bid league this year.

Senior Jake Davies, younger brother of former Brave and Royal Kyle Davies, is having the tournament of a lifetime, both at the plate and starting game 3 yesterday on the mound:

3 games:
5-11, 4 HR, 9 RBI, 3 BB
W, 6 IP, 1 ER, 2 H, 3 K

#50 mabrowndog

• 38317 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

No blowouts among the 5 games in progress right now, and most are tight affairs...

St. John's 4, USF 3, b6
Canisius 2, Manhattan 2, t7
GA Tech 6, Miami FL 3, b4
Valpo 3, UCI 0, t3
Austin Peay 2, E. IL 0, t3