Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Wakefield will announce his retirement at 5 p.m.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
153 replies to this topic

#51 jacklamabe65

• A New Frontier butt boy

• 6,017 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

Zup just had five years added to his own life expectancy with this news.

That said, Wake will remain the quintessential overachiever. I even loved it when he served as our closer - just for the added tension!

Edited by jacklamabe65, 17 February 2012 - 01:27 PM.

#52 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 9,813 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

I'll never forget how he single-handled salvaged a West Coast swing in his first two starts for the Sox (in 1995), the second on two days' rest.

http://www.baseball-...1&t=p&year=1995

Then followed it up with a 10-inning complete game victory! (followed by another 9-inning complete game W!)

#53 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 25,625 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

Wake's first group of Red Sox teammates

http://www.baseball-...ch=1995 red sox

#54 Joe Sixpack

• 1,976 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

Wakefield coming out of nowhere in 1995 was really a great story and he's had a tremendous career as a Red Sox. Even though he frustrated many fans with his inconsistent performance over the years, he was always one of my favorite players and he will be missed.

Boston Floats to Top on Wakefield's Arm
August 13, 1995

Win or lose, his very presence will remind everyone that the Red Sox again have a stopper on the mound, although one that doesn't go by the name of Roger Clemens. Instead, it is Wakefield who is single-handedly making it possible for the Sox to think that this could be the year they put an end to a World Series championship drought that started in 1919. The Red Sox are 14-2 in Wakefield's 16 starts.

Simply put, Wakefield, with a one-pitch arsenal that floats like a butterfly but stings hitters like a swarm of bees, is the hottest pitcher in baseball. Maybe he is ahead only by a flutter, with Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux and Mike Mussina within whisper in many categories. Still, an extraordinary pace is being set by Wakefield.

No other regular major league starter can match his earned run average of 1.61. Only Mussina can match the victory total of 13. Only Maddux can match Wakefield's total of six complete games.

Wakefield, the winner of nine straight, has not lost since June 14, the longest streak by a Red Sox pitcher since Clemens won 14 straight in 1986.

The streak is built on merit -- Wakefield has pitched at least 7 innings in 13 of 16 starts this season. He has allowed no more than one run in four of his last five starts.

http://www.nytimes.c...&pagewanted=all

Edited by Joe Sixpack, 17 February 2012 - 01:45 PM.

#55 snowmanny

• 2,487 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

One of the five best knuckleballers ever. Not many guys can claim to be one of the five best to ever throw a specific pitch.

Not 100% sure this is true (Haines, Wilhelm, Niekro, Wood, Hough, another Niekro come to mind) but he's close enough and you can certainly make a good argument he's top 5.
Class act and, when he was on, as much fun to watch as any Sox pitcher not named Pedro.

#56 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 15,155 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

Thank you for taking the ball in Game 3 and selflessly taking the beating that allowed the team to rally in Game 4.

Thank you for all the time and effort you gave to the Jimmy Fund, visiting sick children in your off-hours because it would make them happy.

Thank you for being my favorite non-Pedro pitcher for the past 15 season and always working quickly. It was a joy to watch, most of the time.

And thank you for helping to bring two World Series to our town. Thank you for a great career, Tim. Best of luck, wherever life takes you.

#57 The Gray Eagle

• SoSH Member

• 9,405 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

Not sure this is the great news/huge relief that some people are celebrating.

Bill James projections for 2012:

Tim Wakefield: 80 IP, 12 starts. 4.16 ERA in AL East
Aaron Cook: 116 IP, 20 starts, 4.73 ERA in NL West
Ross Ohlendorf: 64 IP, 14 starts, 4.92 ERA in NL Central
Vicente Padilla, Carlos Silva, John Maine: not projected to be in majors

#58 Toe Nash

• 3,079 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

Wake hasn't had that good of an ERA since 2008. That's a really optimistic projection even with the low innings count.

#59 bd11

• 570 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:06 PM

Wake couldn't have posted that ERA in Pawtucket and I'm not kidding.

#60 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5,644 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:08 PM

I loved going to Wake games, you knew they wouldn't be a 3 1/2 hour marathon contest.

Maybe he will throw one last Knuckler on Opening Day?

Well, they might want to say goodby to Tek also.....

Congrats to Wake and good luck. One of the few players I never felt bad about rooting for. An absolute joy to watch when he was on. Few things in life are as funny as watching people flail at highway speed junk. Not to mention the look when he actually got a "fastball" past someone.

I actually thought he might be able to help this year if he stayed in the bullpen and out of the rotation.

#61 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 4,023 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

One of my favorite Red Sox games that I ever attended was actually this 1-0 loss at Der Stade Fasciste...

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=250911110

September 11, 2005. Wake gave up a solo homer to Jason Giambi in the first inning, but was otherwise lights out -- gave up just 3 hits and one walk against a career-high 12 strikeouts. I was sitting in the third row behind the plate, and had absolutely no idea where the ball was going when it left his hand. Mirabelli, by the way, was brilliant that day.

On the other side, Randy Johnson was throwing incredible gas. He was effectively wild, with four walks... but nine K's and he only gave up one hit himself over 7 innings. Seeing Wake contrasted with Johnson was a remarkable experience. I have no idea how the home plate umpire made it through the game.

Happy trails, Wake. You weren't a phenom, but you damn sure were a phenomenon.

Edit: D'oh... only 2 of the MFY's four walks allowed were the Big Unit's. Still, I remember him make Manny spin around hard once...

Edited by Mugsys Jock, 17 February 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#62 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,293 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

One of my favorite Red Sox games that I ever attended was actually this 1-0 loss at Der Stade Fasciste...

September 11, 2005. Wake gave up a solo homer to Jason Giambi in the first inning, but was otherwise lights out -- gave up just 3 hits and one walk against a career-high 12 strikeouts. I was sitting in the third row behind the plate, and had absolutely no idea where the ball was going when it left his hand. Mirabelli, by the way, was brilliant that day.

On the other side, Randy Johnson was throwing incredible gas. He was effectively wild, with four walks... but nine K's and he only gave up three hits himself. Seeing Wake contrasted with Johnson was a remarkable experience. I have no idea how the home plate umpire made it through the game.

I was sitting in right field that day in Yankee Stadium and that HR by Giambi flew into the upper deck above us. We didn't know if it was fair or not, but it was. Great game by both starters.

#63 TimNJsoxfan

• 2,219 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

My favorite Sox player ever retiring on my birthday. Nice fucking present! Gonna wear my Wake jersey all weekend!

Thank you Tim Wakefield for being a true professional!

#64 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,102 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

That was the definition of a cheap toilet HR. Giambi flicked at it and it cleared the wall by inches. That game was infuriating on so many levels since Wakefield was as on as he's ever been and still got stuck with the loss.

#65 brs3

• sings praises of pinstripes

• 3,569 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

Wakefield was a connection to the old school Red Sox, the Nomar/Pedro era, and beyond. 17 years with one team. Will there ever been a Red Sox player who spends 17 years with the team? He was on so many bad teams, and so many good teams. He was the best and the worst, and everything in between. He's the only guy to allow 6 homers in a game..and still earn the win.Maybe that's the luck of his teammates, but it's also due to the fact he could lose & regain that knuckle ball inning to inning. Good Wake & Bad Wake was our very own Jekyll and Hyde. He made guys look silly with a pitch that wouldn't bust a speed limit. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Wakefield follow Pedro in the rotation in 1998, and wonder what might've been if Wake hadn't switch to the 'pen for the four years after that. I suspect Wake would've easily collected enough wins to be the sole franchise leader.

I'll miss Wakefield, he was very entertaining, if a little frustrating. It's an end of a link to a few eras.

#66 ookami7m

• 4,212 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

One of only two Sox players I've bought a jersey for. I'll miss his frustrating starts

#67 Shawn O'Leary

• 709 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

Crappy video quality, but I think of moments like this - and what Timlin says about Wake - when I think about Wakefield.

#68 simplyeric

• Professional Writer

• 3,564 posts

On the other side, Randy Johnson was throwing incredible gas. He was effectively wild, with four walks... but nine K's and he only gave up one hit himself over 7 innings. Seeing Wake contrasted with Johnson was a remarkable experience. I have no idea how the home plate umpire made it through the game.

Edit: D'oh... only 2 of the MFY's four walks allowed were the Big Unit's. Still, I remember him make Manny spin around hard once...

I remember that game. The Giambi homer squeeked around the right field pole, barely made it out in that weird corner, no?
What an amazing event, the stylistic contrast.

edit: apparently I don't rememebr it as well as I thought, in the specifics...but it seemed like a really cheap homerun, and it sucked that that's what the whole game hinged on.

Edited by simplyeric, 17 February 2012 - 03:07 PM.

#69 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,400 posts

How does the board collective feel about putting 49 up on the right field facade?

I'm personally in favor.

#70 RGREELEY33

• 1,363 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

http://www.baseball-...ch=1995 red sox

My reaction looking at that roster: "Fucking Zane Smith."

#71 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 12,273 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

When my daughter was treated at Dana Farber back in 2005-06, I heard more stories about Tim Wakefield than all the other Sox players combined. Here's one: one time, Wakefield came in to visit the kids, and shook hands with a couple parents in the lobby. They said their son would be sorry he missed him -- he was in getting treatment. Wake sat down for an hour until the kid's treatment was done, then went in and met him.

When Jim Rice got into Cooperstown a few years ago, I hoped the FO would turn its PR machine toward getting Wakefield a Clemente Award before he retired. That didn't happen, but Wake's legacy in Boston is secure. Thank you.

Edit: Not sure how I missed Wake winning that award in 2010, or Papi winning last year. Guess the FO's only PR front on that score is failing to publicize their successes.

Edited by maufman, 17 February 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#72 JimD

• 4,636 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

I was sure he'd join an NL team for a final run, but I'm glad to see him go out on his terms.

I suspect he discovered it wasn't worth trying since he probably wasn't getting any offers in the ballpark of what he'd been making with the Sox.

#73 greek_gawd_of_walks

• SoSH Member

• 5,264 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

I'd rather see Wake pitch for another 19 years than see Lackey for one more inning in a Red Sox uniform. The guy was selfless. A refreshingly rare quality.

#74 Laser Show

• 3,301 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

When Jim Rice got into Cooperstown a few years ago, I hoped the FO would turn its PR machine toward getting Wakefield a Clemente Award before he retired. That didn't happen, but Wake's legacy in Boston is secure. Thank you.

I believe he won it in 2010.

#75 Carl Everetts Therapist

• yossarian

• PipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

I know Charlie Hough made a decent pitching coach, but is there much precedent for a knuckleballer with an atypical delivery becoming a Pitching coach besides Hough?

I wonder if he has any interest in coaching? He seems to have the laidback attitude for it.

And didn't Wake already win a Clemente award???

Edited by Carl Everetts Therapist, 17 February 2012 - 03:16 PM.

#76 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 9,813 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

My reaction looking at that roster: "Fucking Zane Smith."

My reaction is that that feels like a million years ago and Wakefield was still 28 at the time!

#77 24JoshuaPoint

• Grand Theft Duvet

• 3,281 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

It never occurred to me Suppan has been around that long. Wakefield wins=200, Suppan=138. Take that Suppan!

I was sitting in right field that day in Yankee Stadium and that HR by Giambi flew into the upper deck above us. We didn't know if it was fair or not, but it was. Great game by both starters.

I still get tingles thinking about that game.

#78 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 25,625 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Salty on Wakefield: "He didn’t have to win 193 (team record) to realize who he is .He knows who he is.''

#79 kartvelo

• 3,769 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

I also seemed to draw the Wakefield straw whenever I went to a game. I think I even remember that one time I went, someone else was scheduled to pitch and got sick, and I ended up seeing Wake pitch again.

He gave the Sox a fighting chance in the rest of the series by taking the ball mid-game in Game 3 (need I specify the year and series?); then he came back and threw three innings of shutout relief in Game 5, giving up only one hit and getting the win.

#80 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,496 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

How does the board collective feel about putting 49 up on the right field facade?

I'm personally in favor.

I love Wake.

I hate this idea.

#81 reggiecleveland

• sublime

• 13,755 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

Thank you for taking the ball in Game 3 and selflessly taking the beating that allowed the team to rally in Game 4.

He drove me nuts the last few years. But this is my memory of him as well.

#82 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:36 PM

http://www.csnne.com/ will be carrying it live.

#83 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 16,739 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

I believe he won it in 2010.

He did

http://www.boston.co...eld_wins_1.html

#84 Dewy4PrezII

• Very Intense

• 2,685 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

I know it is time, but this really does make me sad, not just because he was the only player on the roster older than me, nor becuase he was the only player who was with the Sox before my daughter was born, nor because he was one of the few players remaining from the 2004 squad...but because for all his inconsistency I enjoyed watching him flutter knuckleballs to the plate and confound opposing hitters. That, and he always seemed like a genuinely nice guy. Thanks for the memories Wake, and that 4 game stretch that started his red sox Career was other worldly. 4 games 33.1 IP, 2R over 13 days

Edited by Dewy4PrezII, 17 February 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#85 NJ Fan

• 2,868 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

I'm personally in favor.

I saw that Lose weighed in with a resounding vote against but I actually think it's a good idea. Wake seems to have all of the prerequisites: lengthy term of service with Sox, 2 WS titles, retired as a Red Sox, significant accomplishments on the field, great community service. With the Dentist back in the fold, I can see them doing this in 3 years for the (gulp) 10th anniversary of the 2004 team.

#86 Bernard Gilkey baby

• 522 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

Anyone whose ever worked in children's hospitals in the Boston area knows what a charitable a person he is. By all accounts, one of the nicest people to ever wear a Red Sox uniform. I love being able to root for players like that, who did so much for people, and never made a big thing out of it. I really wanted to see him put togethe one last winning streak and that 193 record but I understand why it didn't happen. Still, it'll be kind of odd not seeing him on the team -- he's the kind of guy my friends who root for other teams can immediately identify as an iconic Red Sox player. He is Red Sox.

#87 Yaz4Ever

• Please hire me!

• 8,387 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

Thank god. Hell of a career though.

Forever one of the 25.

One of my favorite Red Sox of all time!

Best move for all concerned. One of my favorite Sox players of all time, so I'm glad to see him bow out in a classy manner.

Agreed on all counts. Classy, classy guy who gave us his all. He'll be missed, but it is time to hang them up. First ballot Red Sox HoFer.

Wakefield was the reason I became so enamored with baseball. I was a soon-to-be 9-year-old during that summer run in 1995 in which he rattled off 14 wins in 15 decisions. I was absolutely mesmerized by the knuckleball and had my dad in the backyard all summer practicing the pitch to the point where I could eventually throw a halfway decent one. I've been in love with baseball ever since.

edit: And we share the same birthday, so as a kid, I found that cool.

Thanks for making me feel old. I apparently graduated from high school before you were born. Maybe I should see a picture of your mom?

#88 Toe Nash

• 3,079 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

I saw that Lose weighed in with a resounding vote against but I actually think it's a good idea. Wake seems to have all of the prerequisites: lengthy term of service with Sox, 2 WS titles, retired as a Red Sox, significant accomplishments on the field, great community service. With the Dentist back in the fold, I can see them doing this in 3 years for the (gulp) 10th anniversary of the 2004 team.

Except he's not a Hall of Famer.

I'm not sure what I think. If you bend the rules for anyone, it would be Wake, who gave a heck of a lot to the team. But I like the Red Sox's strict policy, and if you bend it you could run into a slippery slope with Ortiz (not likely to be a HoFer), Manny, Pedro (didn't end with Sox), even Schilling (short Sox tenure, but there's 2004) coming up. And before you know it you have a ton of numbers up there.

I wouldn't be upset if they retired the numbers of any of these guys who have great resumes but don't quite make the criteria, but I wouldn't argue for it either (except maybe Papi).

Edited by Toe Nash, 17 February 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#89 MyDaughterLovesTomGordon

• 4,079 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:17 PM

Well, except for one of the two prerequisites that actually matter to the Red Sox: Election to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Which ain't happening. Nor should it.

If they retired Wakefield's number before Dwight Evans' I'd be in favor of burning Fenway to the ground.

Well, that might be extreme. But I'd be some kind of angry.

#90 Toe Nash

• 3,079 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

Well, except for one of the two prerequisites that actually matter to the Red Sox: Election to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Which ain't happening. Nor should it.

If they retired Wakefield's number before Dwight Evans' I'd be in favor of burning Fenway to the ground.

Well, that might be extreme. But I'd be some kind of angry.

Pedro was only a Sox for 7 years. I think you almost have to bend the rules for him especially considering guys don't really spend ten years with one team anymore and that rule may be kind of outdated.

If you don't bend the rules, none of the 04 or 07 teams will have their numbers retired (barring someone like Pedroia or Youk or Lester making the Hall of Fame and spending ten or more years with the Sox). I'm not sure that feels right.

#91 NJ Fan

• 2,868 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

Toe Nash and MDLTG...ah, forgot that minor detail. :blink: Maybe it's time they changed their policy to include guys like Wake, Dewey, etc.

#92 Toe Nash

• 3,079 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

Toe Nash and MDLTG...ah, forgot that minor detail. :blink: Maybe it's time they changed their policy to include guys like Wake, Dewey, etc.

They made an exception for Pesky, but he gave a lot more of his life to the Sox than Wake has. Maybe if Wakefield comes back as a coach for forty years...

They also made an exception for Fisk, though they technically signed him to a one-day contract or whatever.

As i said, I could go either way on Wake, but I would save my arguing for Pedro and Papi.

I think Evans should be there, but I also think he should be in the Hall (and Rice shouldn't), so, whatever.

#93 Koufax

• 1,892 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

Odd that his volunteering to be the sacrifial lamb in '04 is one of the most memorable aspects of his career, but it was that attitude -- really being a team player -- that made him so lovable.

#94 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 20,985 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

Wakefield coming out of nowhere in 1995 was really a great story and he's had a tremendous career as a Red Sox. Even though he frustrated many fans with his inconsistent performance over the years, he was always one of my favorite players and he will be missed.

Boston Floats to Top on Wakefield's Arm
August 13, 1995

I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. What an amazing beginning to his Boston career: 17 games started, 14-1, 131 IP, 98 H, 37 BB, 79 K. (gamelogs)

Sometimes in his later years, Good Wake would be dominant for a multi-game streak. I won't miss Bad Wake, though, nor the sinking feeling I'd get in 2010 and 2011 whenever I realized that the starting pitcher was Lackey or Wakefield.

#95 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

The fact that he was the one on the mound in game 7 of 2003, made the loss a little less bitter, and made next year so much sweeter. People sometimes forget he was on course to be the MVP for the 2003 LCS if the Sox would have won the series.

He is the personification of the good things of sport.

#96 EastCoasterOutWest

• 3,817 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

Well, they might want to say goodby to Tek also.....

Either we'd watch the ball roll to the backstop after Tek got his PB , or they could replace Tek with Mirabelli right at the last minute.

Thanks for all the years of selfless service Wake. I'll miss watching you make batters look foolish on those "good Wake" nights.

#97 Paul M

• SoSH Member

• 10,381 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

He made the knuckleball cool and his run in 1995 was one of the most unexpected and a small way to bring fans back into the fold though to be fair Sox fans don't stray too far. He wasn't always a team-player and so his maturation to being willing to step in and close and do spot starts and the Game 3 stint make him a guy I grew to respect even more. 8 years later and lots of that 2004 club will be on the sidelines this year. Thanks, Wake.

#98 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

Nice group of players there, including Lowe.

#99 Nomar813

• SoSH Member

• 6,343 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

The video is streaming on MLB.com

#100 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

damn, good job, tom. Can't you just personally train a bunch of interns instead of hiring Dental Dam?