Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Are the Red Sox in on Jorge Soler

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Carl Everetts Therapist

• yossarian

• PipPip
  • 1558 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

So the next big thing (after Cepedes) from Cuba is on the verge of becoming a Free Agent. He has been said to have power in line with Marlins outfielder Mike Stanton yet is only 19 years old. Does anyone know anything about him (other than whats been re-hashed and tweeted a million times)?

I've seen it reported multiple times that the Sox are interested. Is it due dilligence or something more?

I have a hard time believing the sox will spend the 20plus mill it might take (although it wouldn't affect the luxury threshhold till he's called up)

At least seven teams have interest in 19-year-old Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler, according to the most recent rumblings from around MLB. The Yankees and Phillies are said to have serious interest, and the Blue Jays, Orioles, Red Sox, Cubs and White Sox also appear to be in the mix. Soler isn't a fully fledged free agent yet, but that hasn't slowed the rumor mill down. The latest:

Edited by Carl Everetts Therapist, 16 February 2012 - 02:27 PM.

#2 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20378 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

As I said with Cespedes, I'm sure they'll work him out and evaluate him to determine if they think he's worth throwing 20 million at. If they think he is, I'm OK with it. 20 million over 6 years is 3.33 million a year AAV. That's really not bad to take a chance on a guy who supposedly has monster power. If it's 26 million, as the Cubs unofficial/official offer has been reported, that's 4.33 a year which still isn't bad.

If the bidding gets up into the 30-40 million range like it did with Cespedes, I be a lot less comfortable with taking that risk, though. In any case, I'm all for the Sox front office exploring options and looking to bring young talent into the system.

#3 twothousandone

• 2836 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

Bryce Harper got $10 million over five years. Because there have to be some question marks with Soler, can he really be more highly reguarded?
Or is somewhere between $1 million and $2 million/yr the benefit to teams of the draft for top prospects?

#4 Bigpupp

• 793 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

Bryce Harper got $10 million over five years. Because there have to be some question marks with Soler, can he really be more highly reguarded?
Or is somewhere between $1 million and $2 million/yr the benefit to teams of the draft for top prospects?

Apples to oranges. Harper came out of the draft and could only negotiate with one team. Soler is a Free Agent and will sign with the highest bidder. Considering the Cubs just paid Cuban pitcher Gerardo Conception $7 million, then Soler is going to get somewhere between that and what Cespedes got (and probably more on the high side).

#5 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 20271 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

Apples to oranges. Harper came out of the draft and could only negotiate with one team. Soler is a Free Agent and will sign with the highest bidder. Considering the Cubs just paid Cuban pitcher Gerardo Conception $7 million, then Soler is going to get somewhere between that and what Cespedes got (and probably more on the high side).

Theo's first big splash in the long-term rebuilding process is an 18-year-old left-handed starting pitcher. It's not quite Iglesias money, but it's close. Centerfielders, shortstops and left-handed starters attract big bids.

#6 Snodgrass'Muff

• smarter as Lucen

• 20378 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

A quick write up on Soler I found while looking for more info on him.

http://www.scoutingb...m/players/p2888

This bit stood out as a nice summary.

He's already showing signs of MLB videogame level power at the plate, and his very strong arm is certainly real. His iffy contact skills and lack of patience at the plate, though, are equally clear indicators that he's still a rather rough gem.