Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Who would make the All-Star Game more fun?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 collings94

• PipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

Bill Simmons had an interesting article on Grantland talking about the All-Star game. One of his suggestions was that each team should have one player on their roster that would make the game more fun to watch.

So, taking this topic to SoSH, who do you think would make the All-Star game more appealing to watch. Obviously, Jeremy Lin will get a lot of votes, but what about JaVale Mcgee doing something insanely stupid, or Nate Robinson?

#2 Dusty Pagoda

• 147 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

Rondo. Who has more "Wow, let's see the replay of that!" moments? He averages about 4.5 per game.

#3 A Bartlett Giamatti

• 2,049 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

Most of the fun guys are already in the game. That's not really the issue. The format could be changed. I would love to see them make Lebron and Kobe captains and let them choose up sides, like hockey tried.

Its natural in basketball. It would be fascinating to see who they picked and when. Would Lebron let Bosh slip? Would Kobe pick Wade first to keep him from Lebron?

If you're worried about fan interaction, let them continue voting but make the votes non-geographic. So you can have four votes for guards, for votes for forwards and two for centers. The top two vote getters are the captains. The 10 guys voted on by fans are the first "pool" and then it opens up to those selected by coaches, players and commish.

#4 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

It would be easier to make the saturday night more fun than the game. Actually have the best players do the slam dunk. You'll create a lot of excitement if you have Kobe and Lebron do it, for example.

Do it like hockey where everyone from the ASG participates in the saturday night and ONLY those people participate.

Replace Morrow with Pierce for example for the 3PT

Edited by Hendu's Gait, 15 February 2012 - 05:39 PM.

#5 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

East Roster would be for example:

3PT: Pierce, JJ, Carmelo

Dunk: Lebron, Iggy, Howard

Small man skills: Deron, Wade, Rose

Big Man skills (make a new event): Hibbert, Bosh

West:

3PT: Nash, Love, Nowitzki

Dunk: Kobe, Griffin, Durant

Small man skills: Paul, Parker, Westbrook

Big man skills: Aldridge, Bynum, Gasol

#6 AMS25

• 941 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

As a Thunder fan, I'd have to say Sergeballu LaMu Sayonga Loom Walahas Jonas Hugo Ibaka. Actually, I just like typing Ibaka's full name. But, he has been playing very well as of late and seems to be all over the court.

#7 Dusty Pagoda

• 147 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

Most of the fun guys are already in the game. That's not really the issue. The format could be changed. I would love to see them make Lebron and Kobe captains and let them choose up sides, like hockey tried.

Jeff Van Gundy raised this idea a couple years ago, and I think also had Kobe and Lebron as his captains. Breen and Jackson were not on board for it. Maybe they could shoot for teams (free throws). The suspense would be "who ends up with Dwight?"

They really need to get rid of the WNBA participation. And bring back the old-timer's game!

#8 JTravolta

• 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

yes that's very interesting..

#9 collings94

• PipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

Jeff Van Gundy raised this idea a couple years ago, and I think also had Kobe and Lebron as his captains. Breen and Jackson were not on board for it. Maybe they could shoot for teams (free throws). The suspense would be "who ends up with Dwight?"

They really need to get rid of the WNBA participation. And bring back the old-timer's game!

Haha, the old timers game would be hilarious now. You would have Magic out there trying to play, Karl Malone and Patrick Ewing try to out-choke each other and crunch time. Shaq would play in every one of those games from now until 2040.

#10 Montana Fan

• SoSH Member

• 5,708 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

David Stern would make it more fun by making it $200K per player, winner take all. Would be a lot more fun then.

#11 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 21,311 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

I think the question should be not Who but What, and the answer is:

Cancellation.