Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

Boychuk signs extension

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 GLOSS

• 169 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Defenceman Johnny Boychuk has agreed to terms on a three-year contract extension with BOS, with an AAV of $3.36M. #tsn

Well, this is unexpected...

#2 The Four Peters

• can peacefully dougie off this mortal coil

• 10727 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

Wow. Did not see this coming.

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie

Defenceman Johnny Boychuk has agreed to terms on a three-year contract extension with BOS, with an AAV of $3.36M. #tsn

#3 TheShynessClinic

• SoSH's Doug Neidermeyer

• 5579 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

Hm. That's a bit more than I would have thought he'd get.

#4 GLOSS

• 169 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

At least I know now my Boychuk player tee is good for a little longer...

#5 The Four Peters

• 10727 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

Dammit GLOSS, beat me by seconds.

A year ago, I would say this is typical Chiarelli overpaying for his own players at a time when they had little leverage, as this fits that scenario perfectly. However, pretty much all of those have worked out well, so I guess I won't rush to condemn the extension. Can't say I'm a huge fan at first blush though.

#6 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 14909 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

Hate it. Haven't seen nearly the improvement you would hope for from someone getting this kind of raise to make him the 2nd highest paid Dman on the team when you could argue that he's the 4th best.

edit: Although if I'm putting Ference above him I guess I do have to give Chia the benefit of the doubt. I suppose I'm just surprised, Boychuk's not a core guy and Chia has talked a lot about the uncertainty with next year's cap. I dunno.

Edited by Jed Zeppelin, 14 February 2012 - 02:39 PM.

#7 Dummy Hoy

• Angry Pissbum

• 2683 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

Dammit GLOSS, beat me by seconds.

A year ago, I would say this is typical Chiarelli overpaying for his own players at a time when they had little leverage, as this fits that scenario perfectly. However, pretty much all of those have worked out well, so I guess I won't rush to condemn the extension. Can't say I'm a huge fan at first blush though.

I remember us debating the merits of Boychuck at a Softball bash a good 3-4 years ago. I won that debate ( ;) ), but I'm with you now 100%.

#8 The Four Peters

• 10727 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

I honestly don't remember what my position in that debate was, but I'll give you the win.

#9 Spaulding Smails

• Worth a thousand words

• 2639 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

Yikes, I was looking at Capgeek this morning and I was figuring they may have just let him walk after this year. Makes Seidenberg's deal look like an even bigger bargain now. Meh.

#10 Dummy Hoy

• Angry Pissbum

• 2683 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

I honestly don't remember what my position in that debate was, but I'll give you the win.

I'll take the win.

Hate it. Haven't seen nearly the improvement you would hope for from someone getting this kind of raise to make him the 2nd highest paid Dman on the team when you could argue that he's the 4th best.

I don't think this is unfair at all.

#11 HomeBrew1901

• Has Season 1 of "Manimal" on Blu Ray

• 8250 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

How much of an overpay is this? Could this be a signing to make him more attractive in the trade market and maybe get more for him?

#12 NYCSox

• chris hansen of goats

• 6256 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

How much of an overpay is this? Could this be a signing to make him more attractive in the trade market and maybe get more for him?

That thought did just cross my mind. Maybe he becomes more appealing to the Flames or Oilers with the commitment in place?

#13 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 8907 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

I'm OK with this. Defenseman aren't cheap on the open market, and I don't mind slightly overpaying for a homegrown player that can play in the system that the team is comfortable with.

#14 Curtis_Lesspanic

• 512 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

This is a bit of an overpay. If they are willing to commit to Boychuck for 3 years, why not add another and see if the cap hit can be brought down a bit. I'd be happier with 4 at 2.75 but that's just me.

#15 NickEsasky

• Code Name: Duchess

• 6718 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

It's definitely a headscratcher. He gets the benefit of being paired with Chara most of the time. Like others have said though, other deals we questioned have worked out pretty well, so I will give Chia the benefit of the doubt.

Johnny should probably buy Chara a Rolex or something for making him an extra million.

#16 The Four Peters

• 10727 posts

Yeah I definitely keep forgetting how much defensemen are going for on the open market. I think Boychuk has value to the team, although I would have preferred it to be either one year shorter or for less AAV. Despite that, he's a solid player who can play on the first pairing, he knows the system, he seems to be well liked, and doesn't have any major weaknesses. There are worse guys to overpay.

#17 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 9642 posts

Haggs weighs in on this one.

Joe Haggerty

Like Boychuk deal. He's still getting better every year, durable, can play 20-minutes a night and hits like Mack truck. Those guys are rare

#18 Spaulding Smails

• Worth a thousand words

• 2639 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

Well they have 4 of their top 6 locked in through '13-14 which I can't complain about, the AAV is a little high but I'm starting to come around on it. Cshea is right, defensemen aren't cheap on the open market, Gleason just got 4 from the Canes so this isn't that far off.

#19 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 14909 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

Yeah I definitely keep forgetting how much defensemen are going for on the open market. I think Boychuk has value to the team, although I would have preferred it to be either one year shorter or for less AAV. Despite that, he's a solid player who can play on the first pairing, he knows the system, he seems to be well liked, and doesn't have any major weaknesses. There are worse guys to overpay.

I know I said I hate it but I would agree with all of this. It also makes me feel better to assume that Hamilton's nice little ELC will kick in next season.

#20 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 16478 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

Love this deal. He's a better player than Cory Sarich ever was, and Sarich got $3.6m AAV on the open market 4 years ago.

I can't fathom why a $836k raise for Boychuk is a bad thing.

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 14 February 2012 - 03:07 PM.

#21 The Four Peters

• 10727 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

I can't fathom why a $836k raise for Boychuk is a bad thing.

What am I missing? His prior AAV was $1.875m. This almost doubled that.

#22 PedroSpecialK

• 16478 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

I have no idea why I thought he made $2.5m. My bad.

Nonetheless, $9.25m or so for the top pairing of Chara-Boychuk for the foreseeable future is a-ok with me in this cap environment.

#23 Curtis_Lesspanic

• 512 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

See, I don't get the shorter deal argument. If your going to extend a guy, It's pretty much assumed that he fits into what your team is about and we all pretty much agree that's the case with Boychuck. His game fits this team pretty well.
Plus Defensemen typically age better and are more productive later into their 30's than forwards so the B's are getting JB's prime years in this deal. PC extended Ference through age 34 and Boychuck doesnt have any of the injury issues that Ference does. Why not do the same for JB and try and bring down the AAV a bit?

#24 Blacken

• Paddy Tanniger the Caddy Manager

• 7570 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

Iranians can't count*--news at 11.

I think I like this deal. $3.5m seems to be about right for what really is a mid-pairing guy who happens to be playing on the first pair because he offsets some of Chara's weaknesses pretty well.

* - except to 15. As in "shots."

#25 erfus

• 1565 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

I have no idea why I thought he made $2.5m. My bad.

Nonetheless, $9.25m or so for the top pairing of Chara-Boychuk for the foreseeable future is a-ok with me in this cap environment.

I think as Chara ages, that pairing will become less of a good idea. I don't know about this one, I'm conflicted. One one hand, it's less money to splurge on a Weber / Suter type and Boychuk has limited offensive ability and occasional brain cramps, but on the other hand that's probably a pipe dream, the UFA market for D-men this summer is rotten, and it's never a bad idea to tie up a competent defenseman still his his 20s. I'm not a huge Boychuk fan, but he's a decent cog in the machine. I give it a mild thumbs-up, but I hope they still look for a significant upgrade through trade (for signed players or RFAs) this summer on the blueline.

The Bruins have Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Ference, McQuaid, Kampfer, and Hamilton signed for next season. They could be done.

#26 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 8907 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:36 PM

See, I don't get the shorter deal argument. If your going to extend a guy, It's pretty much assumed that he fits into what your team is about and we all pretty much agree that's the case with Boychuck. His game fits this team pretty well.
Plus Defensemen typically age better and are more productive later into their 30's than forwards so the B's are getting JB's prime years in this deal. PC extended Ference through age 34 and Boychuck doesnt have any of the injury issues that Ference does. Why not do the same for JB and try and bring down the AAV a bit?

Shorter terms are better for the team. It allows them to maintain some roster flexibility, and the ability to turn the roster over, if needed. If Boychuk's game goes to shit, they're not burdened by an immoveable contract.

An extra year may not seem like much, but that hypothetical 4th year would be when Hamilton would be off his ELC, and entering a new deal. Boychuk being on the books could impact what's available for Hamilton. Little things like that need to be taken into account when you hand out longer term deals.

#27 PedroSpecialK

• 16478 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

Iranians can't count*--news at 11.

I think I like this deal. $3.5m seems to be about right for what really is a mid-pairing guy who happens to be playing on the first pair because he offsets some of Chara's weaknesses pretty well.

* - except to 15. As in "shots."

15 shots to the stomach sounds about right.

God I hate you. And Gomez.

#28 Blacken

• 7570 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

You and Terras bring it up your mutual hate-on at your tea party?

Edited by Blacken, 14 February 2012 - 03:52 PM.

#29 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 6895 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

You and Terras bring it up your mutual hate-on at your tea party?

Did someone say Tea Party?
Posted Image

#30 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 15977 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

Are people upset at boychuk getting paid or that this is a leading indicator that chia isn't going to make a big dman splash at the deadline? I'm but a huge fan but in the context of the market our seems ok

#31 BoSoxFink

• Stripes

• 4554 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

Are people upset at boychuk getting paid or that this is a leading indicator that chia isn't going to make a big dman splash at the deadline? I'm but a huge fan but in the context of the market our seems ok

Just because he extended Boychuck doesn't mean they won't make a d man splash at the deadline. The d man coming in would most likely replace Corvo anyways.

I also agree that in the free agent market Boychuck probably could have gotten 4 million dollars annually, so it really isn't an overpay

#32 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 10568 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

Chara
Ference
Seidenberg
Boychuk
McQuaid
Corvo

Is this how most people rate from top to bottom? I would put McQuaid in front of Boychuk simply because I always thought he made just a few less mistakes.

#33 OldSaintJohn

• swansoned his way on the site

• 732 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

There is not a single justifiable explanation in any real or imaginary world where Andrew Ference belongs higher on that list than Dennis Seidenberg

#34 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 38264 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

A bit of an overpay from a pure value standpoint, but not so much that it should keep the Bruins from signing anyone they would have signed before. Given that, it makes all the sense in the world to pay the little extra money for stability/chemistry/experience.

Plus, we get to hear more of Jack screaming "A JOHNNY ROCKET!!!" and that's always a good thing.

#35 mcpickl

• 1995 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

This is a bit of an overpay. If they are willing to commit to Boychuck for 3 years, why not add another and see if the cap hit can be brought down a bit. I'd be happier with 4 at 2.75 but that's just me.

He got 3 years for around 10 million. There's no way he's accepting 4 years for 11 million.

I'm with the crowd that the AAV seemed a bit high at first, but after seeing what guys got as UFA this summer(Kaberle!) it's probably a fair deal.

#36 Titoschew

• 2733 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

There is not a single justifiable explanation in any real or imaginary world where Andrew Ference belongs higher on that list than Dennis Seidenberg

Might as well close the thread then.

#37 Titoschew

• 2733 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

Joe Haggerty @HackswithHaggs

#bruinstalk: Johnny Boychuks no-trade clause includes 8 teams he'd agree to be traded to in 1st 2 yrs of deal. Notrade goes away in final yr

Limited NTC for Boychuk. The list of those without one, at this point, is likely shorter than those with.

Edited by Titoschew, 14 February 2012 - 11:04 PM.

#38 Blacken

• 7570 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

The "no Oilers" policy.

#39 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 10568 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

I always thought Ference was a smoother skater and a bit better at passing. I think they are both equally good at seeing the entire ice. Seidenberg may hit a bit better but not enough, in my mind, to put him above Ference. Call it 2A and 2B if you want.

#40 TheRealness

• Don't make him go all Lucic on your ash

• 8049 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

I always thought Ference was a smoother skater and a bit better at passing. I think they are both equally good at seeing the entire ice. Seidenberg may hit a bit better but not enough, in my mind, to put him above Ference. Call it 2A and 2B if you want.

You are not watching what I'm watching. Seidenberg is both smoother and better at passing. Ference may be faster overall, but as far as game is concerned, Seidenberg is a fucking rock. You are out of your mind.

And I'd have Boychuk at #3.

#41 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 10568 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

You are not watching what I'm watching. Seidenberg is both smoother and better at passing. Ference may be faster overall, but as far as game is concerned, Seidenberg is a fucking rock. You are out of your mind.

And I'd have Boychuk at #3.

I guess I am watching a different team if you have Boychuk at number 3. Then again, I know I don't watch like I did when I was younger.

#42 Toe Nash

• 2745 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:29 AM

Boychuk or Ference could be 3 or 4 in my book, but Seidenberg is clearly the second-best d-man on the team. His play in last year's playoffs was incredible.

#43 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18021 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

Boychuk or Ference could be 3 or 4 in my book, but Seidenberg is clearly the second-best d-man on the team. His play in last year's playoffs was incredible.

Right, no doubt in my mind Seidenberg is a top 50 defenseman in the NHL, and probably slots in somewhere around 35-40 range, which means he is not only the #2 defenseman on this team, he is a pretty elite #2 defenseman.

In terms of the deal, sure maybe it is a couple hundred grand a year more than I wish, but it is a real good deal, and there is not a doubt in my mind that he would have gotten more as a FA this summer

#44 TheRealness

• Don't make him go all Lucic on your ash

• 8049 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

I guess I am watching a different team if you have Boychuk at number 3. Then again, I know I don't watch like I did when I was younger.

At least arguing that Boychuk or Ference at #3 is a decent argument given Ference's better play the past 18 months, but Seidenberg behind Ference? Crazy.

#45 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 10568 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

That's fair. Perhaps I was thinking this because the past 2 games the Bruins have a hell of a lot of turnovers from their goal line to the red line. Every one of them is responsible but I thought Ference has looked better moving the puck up ice. SSS, I know.

I'd agree Seidenberg was great last post season. I thought Ference played very well too.

Edited by Dogman2, 16 February 2012 - 04:51 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users