Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Full All-Star Rosters Announced

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Grin&MartyBarret

• 3,368 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

A week after the starters were announced, the NBA released the All-Star Rosters yesterday. They are as follows:

East

Starting 5:
Dwight Howard
Carmelo Anthony
LeBron James
Dwyane Wade
Derrick Rose

Reserves:
Chris Bosh
Loul Deng
Roy Hibbert
Andre Iguodala
Joe Johnson
Paul Pierce
Deron Williams

West

Starting 5:
Andrew Bynum
Blake Griffin
Kevin Durant
Kobe Bryant
Chris Paul

Reserves:
LaMarcus Aldridge
Marc Gasol
Kevin Love
Dirk Nowitzki
Tony Parker
Russell Westbrook
Steve Nash

I'm curious as to who SOSH thinks was undeserving and who was snubbed, etc. Discuss.

#2 TheGazelle

• 323 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

I'm surprised that Deng made it in the East, although he deserves it, I think. Aldridge is the same way - well deserved. I'm surprised that Dirk, Parker, and Nash all made it. Marc Gasol over Pau is interesting.

#3 Curtis Pride

• 810 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:09 AM

I wonder if the East team would be better with Amare Stoudemire instead of Chris Bosh. Is Bosh really that good?

#4 Grin&MartyBarret

• 3,368 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:33 AM

There's probably not any reasonable argument for Amare deserving the spot ahead of Bosh. Their scoring and rebounding numbers are similar, but Bosh is shooting a much higher percentage and is putting up those numbers as his team's third option, which Stoudemire's numbers are down across the board despite still being option 1a for the Knicks.

A couple of gripes I have:

1. Kevin Love should be starting over Griffin and Carmelo shouldn't be starting, either. I know the fans vote on this, so there's not much that can be done, but warrants mentioning.

2. Roy Hibbert over Tyson Chandler doesn't make much sense to me. I know that the voters probably wanted to reward Indiana for being good this year, but Chandler has transformed the Knicks defense from bottom third of the league to a top 10 unit, and has but up similar scoring and rebounding numbers to Hibbert while doing so. Hibbert's averaging 13.6 and 9.9 and Chandler's averaging 12.0 and 9.9. But Chandler's been much, much more efficient, is actually flirting with breaking the modern record for TS% this season. His TS% is an insane 75.3%, 25 points higher than Hibbert's. That said, Hibbert deserves a couple of votes for his work with Entertainment 720.

3. Rondo should be on the team over Deron Williams. Williams' numbers are down across the board, he's on a terrible team, and Rondo's clearly been the best player on the Celtics.

#5 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

Haven't watched enough other team's games, but I'm disappointed that Rondo didn't make it (over Pierce). Who were the wildcards? Deng I presume was one of them and maybe JJ?

#6 Reardons Beard

• 1,047 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

Not surprised Pierce makes it - he did just pass Bird.

Did think Rondo would make it. Would pick him over Williams everyday. Also interesting to see Tim Duncan out, but I suppose that was a matter of time. Marc Gasol is having a helluva year across the board and should be there.

West is flush with point guards.

#7 collings94

• PipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

Fan voting is a really bad formula for putting out the most deserving starters. Kevin Love should be starting over Bynum. There is no conceivable way that you can argue that Andrew Bynum has had a better season then Love. I know they want the fans involved, but the principle that "who ever the fans like the most gets to start" bothers me.

#8 sibpin

• 2,635 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

Fan voting is a really bad formula for putting out the most deserving starters. Kevin Love should be starting over Bynum. There is no conceivable way that you can argue that Andrew Bynum has had a better season then Love. I know they want the fans involved, but the principle that "who ever the fans like the most gets to start" bothers me.

Have you actually seen Bynum play this season? He's the second-best center in the league. And although they don't play defense in the ASG, Howard would destroy Love or Griffin in the interior if they did.

The East's top 5 could very well be the starting 5 for the USA in London, but I'd take the West's top 9 or 10 guys over their counterparts in the East.

#9 TheGazelle

• 323 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

Was Love on the ballot as a center?

#10 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 18,094 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

The East's top 5 could very well be the starting 5 for the USA in London, but I'd take the West's top 9 or 10 guys over their counterparts in the East.

In what world do you start Melo over Durant?

#11 sibpin

• 2,635 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

In what world do you start Melo over Durant?

I wouldn't, and I didn't watch much of the '08 Olympics, but I've heard Melo was a big part of the '08 team and he would have been the favorite to start if he hadn't been so awful this year.

#12 amlothi

• 378 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:28 AM

East

Starting 5:
Dwight Howard
Carmelo Anthony
LeBron James
Dwyane Wade
Derrick Rose

West

Starting 5:
Andrew Bynum
Blake Griffin
Kevin Durant
Kobe Bryant
Chris Paul

Florida and LA really dominating the starting squads this year. I wonder if the East starting team helps boost attendance.

#13 collings94

• PipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

Was Love on the ballot as a center?

I have no idea, but positions don't really matter in the ASG. I remember the West would start KG at small forward, so I don't see why Love couldn't start at Center.

#14 collings94

• PipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

Have you actually seen Bynum play this season? He's the second-best center in the league. And although they don't play defense in the ASG, Howard would destroy Love or Griffin in the interior if they did.

I'm just trying to make this clear: Are you actually trying to make the argument that Bynum as had a better year then Love?

#15 sibpin

• 2,635 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:15 AM

Nope. But Love should be starting instead of Griffin, not Bynum. The starters selected are two guards, two forwards, and one center. Andrew Bynum is the best center in the West. Kevin Love is not. And if the game actually mattered at all you'd see Bynum out on the floor for the majority of Dwight Howard's minutes, and Marc Gasol for the rest.

#16 TheGazelle

• 323 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

I have no idea, but positions don't really matter in the ASG. I remember the West would start KG at small forward, so I don't see why Love couldn't start at Center.

Because the ballots, unless they've changed, require you to vote for 2 guards, 2 forwards, and 1 center. The reason KG has started at SF previously (and why LeBron and Melo are starting in the East this year) is because the ballot doesn't distinguish between SF and PF. If Love is listed as a forward, and not as a center, there's no reason to be surprised that Bynum is starting over him. I agree with sibpin that Love should be starting over Griffin, not Bynum.

EDIT: Spelling.

Edited by TheGazelle, 13 February 2012 - 09:39 AM.

#17 Lazy vs Crazy

• 980 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

Rondo in as a replacement.

https://twitter.com/#!/SherrodbCSN/status/172379277076082688
link to tweet

#18 DeJesus Built My Hotrod

• SoSH Member

• 10,294 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

I know that nobody cares here (hell, I don't really even care about the All Star Game) but I don't see how Tony Parker should be a reserve ahead of Monta Ellis. I know that Parker is more of a traditional PG but Ellis is a more dynamic player and is a top 10 scorer. Of course, Parker is a more efficient player but given that the game is really an exhibition, Ellis is a better fit. Oh well...

Edit: I wrote this before Ellis sank a turn-around jumper in Grant Hill's face (for a 39 year old, Hill is still a pretty good defender) to seal a road win in Phoenix. Its too bad Monta plays in relative obscurity - he really is one of the more exciting players in the Association right now.

Edited by DeJesus Built My Hotrod, 22 February 2012 - 11:37 PM.

#19 Grin&MartyBarret

• 3,368 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:59 AM

I know that nobody cares here (hell, I don't really even care about the All Star Game) but I don't see how Tony Parker should be a reserve ahead of Monta Ellis. I know that Parker is more of a traditional PG but Ellis is a more dynamic player and is a top 10 scorer. Of course, Parker is a more efficient player but given that the game is really an exhibition, Ellis is a better fit. Oh well...

Edit: I wrote this before Ellis sank a turn-around jumper in Grant Hill's face (for a 39 year old, Hill is still a pretty good defender) to seal a road win in Phoenix. Its too bad Monta plays in relative obscurity - he really is one of the more exciting players in the Association right now.

Gotta respectfully disagree on this one. Tony Parker has been the best player on a team that's currently second in the Western conference and played a huge chunk of the season without Ginobli. He's got a better APER, PER, more win shares, more alternate win shares, and has the exact same TS% as Ellis. I agree that Ellis would probably be more fun to watch, but Parker's been a better player this season and if the season ended today, would probably end up in the top 5 in MVP votes.

#20 DeJesus Built My Hotrod

• SoSH Member

• 10,294 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

Gotta respectfully disagree on this one. Tony Parker has been the best player on a team that's currently second in the Western conference and played a huge chunk of the season without Ginobli. He's got a better APER, PER, more win shares, more alternate win shares, and has the exact same TS% as Ellis. I agree that Ellis would probably be more fun to watch, but Parker's been a better player this season and if the season ended today, would probably end up in the top 5 in MVP votes.

Well we agree that Parker's a more efficient basketball player and I believe we agree that his superior skills don't translate to excitement for the casual NBA fan. That said, I think you nailed the sole reason - the Spurs are second in the West. Say no more.

However I could also make a case for Ellis over Steve Nash...but I won't...