Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

MLB.COM's Top 20 Red Sox Prospects

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Carl Everetts Therapist

• yossarian

• PipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

Her is the link if anybody hasn't seen it

http://boston.redsox...y2012/#list=bos

I was shocked at how highly they ranked Brentz, it seems a lot of the rankings lately are extremely high on Brentz.... Personally I like Bogarts a bit better for the #2 spot

#2 Brianish

• 4,333 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

Brentz was highly rated coming into his draft season, but was slowed a little by injury. Then he sucked for a few months, they tossed him some contacts, and he annihilated two leagues for the entire 2011 season. I'm honestly surprised more places don't have him higher. Xander's ceiling is through the roof, but he's still young.

Edit - I'm actually more surprised about Vitek at #8. Also that they still consider Linares a prospect.

Edited by Brianish, 09 February 2012 - 01:01 PM.

#3 The Best Catch in 100 Years

• 722 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

Yeah, Brentz and his "plenty of RBIs" looks way too high. I don't take this guy's stuff too seriously.

#4 OttoC

• SoSH Member

• 7,388 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

There may be some questions about Brentz's fielding. He made 17 errors last year in 223 chances. My recollection is that they were largely throwing errors. He also needs to get his walk rate up but he still is inexperienced as a pro.

#5 Brianish

• 4,333 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

Yeah, Brentz and his "plenty of RBIs" looks way too high. I don't take this guy's stuff too seriously.

He's not suggesting RBIs are indicative of Brentz's quality as a hitter or of future performance. He's basically saying Brentz hits well, he will get to Fenway and contribute to run-scoring. Just mentioning RBIs doesn't automatically make him an idiot.

#6 Plympton91

• loco parentis

• 6,551 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

Brentz was highly rated coming into his draft season, but was slowed a little by injury. Then he sucked for a few months, they tossed him some contacts, and he annihilated two leagues for the entire 2011 season. I'm honestly surprised more places don't have him higher. Xander's ceiling is through the roof, but he's still young.

Edit - I'm actually more surprised about Vitek at #8. Also that they still consider Linares a prospect.

Given that he whiffed about once every 4 times up and only managed a very pedestrian .331 OBP in Salem, I don't think you can claim at all that he "annihilated" the Carolina League. Hopefully he will continue to learn the strike zone and be able to make the difficult jump to AA successfully. He's pretty old, so he needs to move at least one level per year from this point forward.

#7 Brianish

• 4,333 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

Given that he whiffed about once every 4 times up and only managed a very pedestrian .331 OBP in Salem, I don't think you can claim at all that he "annihilated" the Carolina League. Hopefully he will continue to learn the strike zone and be able to make the difficult jump to AA successfully. He's pretty old, so he needs to move at least one level per year from this point forward.

I was referring pretty much entirely to power numbers, which is what a lot of the list-makers tend to focus on, under the theory that raw power can't be learned. I'm not saying he necessarily should be number two - just that I'm not surprised he is.

#8 Buzzkill Pauley

• SoSH Member

• 5,267 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

Wait, are you talking about Brentz at age 22 in Salem, or Middlebrooks at age 21?

#9 Plympton91

• loco parentis

• 6,551 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

Wait, are you talking about Brentz at age 22 in Salem, or Middlebrooks at age 21?

It applies to both, because of the difference in walk rates. Brentz needs to improve his contact rate to raise his batting average and hence his OBP. Meanwhile, Middlebrooks, despite being younger, needs to both raise his walk rate and cut his strikeouts, while maintaining what was an outsized BABIP.

#10 Buzzkill Pauley

• SoSH Member

• 5,267 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

It applies to both, because of the difference in walk rates. Brentz needs to improve his contact rate to raise his batting average and hence his OBP. Meanwhile, Middlebrooks, despite being younger, needs to both raise his walk rate and cut his strikeouts, while maintaining what was an outsized BABIP.

No, actually I was trying to point out that they were eerily similar at Salem.

Salem 2010: K/PA = 1/3.88 (Middlebrooks)
Salem 2011: K/PA = 1/3.93 (Brentz)

Salem 2010: OBP = .331 (Middlebrooks)
Salem 2011: OBP = .331 (Brentz)

Salem 2010: Fpct = .945 (19 E)
Salem 2011: Fpct = .938 (9 E)

Aside from the difference of one year in age, however, there's also...

Salem 2010: IsoP = .163 (Middlebrooks)
Salem 2011: IsoP = .257 (Brentz)

And it seems to me that "annihilate" is the right term for that.

#11 C4CRVT

• 2,438 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

Posted Image

#17-Vinicio looks 14. He's listed as 5'-11" 150#. "May need to add some muscle"

#12 RoyalOrange

• 141 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

Where's Wilson?

#13 Carl Everetts Therapist

• yossarian

• PipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

Look here's our newest addition Chris Carpenter at #8 ............ I think that may be a tad generous. It would make the sox look better though getting a top 10 guy.

http://www.mlb.com/m...y2012/#list=bos

#14 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 12,577 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

Brentz is roughly 16 months younger than Lavarnway. A writer who gets excited about a guy that age lighting up the low minors is a writer whose opinion isn't worth much.